• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Pit has one of the most versitile projectiles in the game...
How can people say it is average, ideally he should be able to hit you from most angles.

He can stall it making it very hard to PS.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How can people say it is average, ideally he should be able to hit you from most angles.
He can't cover mid-range angles, sadly. His startup/ending lag, although small, is still detrimental to him. If he could cancel it like Falco, my God....

Then just shield it. : |

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I like things that are in order. I'm an orderly person, and "S" tier seems out of place because it isn't numerical or alphabetical. And if we are going by the standard tier list order... with "S" in it. Then Pit is definitely a B tier character. I believe Pit should be listed like this.
Tier 1 (Galaxy) Top Tier.
Meta Knight 10.0
Snake 9.9
Diddy Kong 9.8
Wario 9.6
Falco 9.5
King Dedede 9.4
Marth 9.3
Ice Climbers 9.2
Pikachu 9.1

Tier 2 (Sky) High Tier.
Mr. Game & Watch 8.9
Zero Suit Samus 8.8
Olimar and Pikmin 8.7
Pit 8.5
R.O.B. 8.4
Toon Link 8.3
Lucario 8.2
Kirby 8.1

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
japan does their teir list like every other fighting game comunity they take an average of teh characters match ups and go in order of highest to lowest.
We don't do ours like that. we try and use all of these crazy things, tourney results, Match ups, and it is voted upon by a much smaller sub set of the whole community. Sheik is way higher on any other countries lists too I believe than she is in america.
pit is top tier because a top tier player (masashi) plays him.
fox is top tier in mexico because their best player (TKD) plays him.
Sheik is probably high/top tier in Europe, because armada plays him.

stop trying to make this complicated.

I like things that are in order. I'm an orderly person, and "S" tier seems out of place because it isn't numerical or alphabetical. And if we are going by the standard tier list order... with "S" in it. Then Pit is definitely a B tier character. I believe Pit should be listed like this.
Tier 1 (Galaxy) Top Tier.
Meta Knight 10.0
Snake 9.9
Diddy Kong 9.8
Wario 9.6
Falco 9.5
King Dedede 9.4
Marth 9.3
Ice Climbers 9.2
Pikachu 9.1

Tier 2 (Sky) High Tier.
Mr. Game & Watch 8.9
Zero Suit Samus 8.8
Olimar and Pikmin 8.7
Pit 8.5
R.O.B. 8.4
Toon Link 8.3
Lucario 8.2
Kirby 8.1

Because naming tiers after non-relative distances from the sea level of the earth is WAYYY less complicated than putting S before the rest of the alphabet.

Its also done in anime as well. the two instances that first come to mind was the Zoids series where the main team was in a sports-style league. and that one show that was on toonami and was about 3-man teams using robotic exoskeletons to traverse f-zero style race courses

its also done in all sonic games.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I don't get why characters like DK, GaW, ROB (<3) etc. continue to drop. Their tools are just as solid as they were when the game came out, but the tier list seems to be a tournament results list :(

Doing MUs for our tier list like other games = :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
GAW is just as solid? his main spacing tool that made everyone fear him to begin with/shut down half the cast, you can punish him *for hitting you with it*

lol ROB bias : )

stingers

Smash Obsessed
alright, but I was never a proponent of Bair is broken in the first place for gaw so I'm still right :chuckle: my friend has mained gaw since the start of the game, bair has never been very effective vs. me at the very least. what gaw has that has always worked is effective juggles, mad early kills w/ setups, and a sexy techchase throw. oh but thesedays, he lives longer. thats a good reason to drop him below toon link @.@

its just that nobody plays him these days, so he just gets moved further and further down the tier list for no good reason. mu based tier list = nothing stupid like that happening (unless mu's drastically change due to new discoveries or something)

etecoon

Smash Hero
a lot of it still comes from MU's which is at least partly subjective. like MK vs GAW has gone from "around evenish" to "55:45" to "60:40", and now some people think 65:35. as opinion of GAW has fallen, so has (at least in this example) the perception of this matchup. matchup based tierlist still will contain a lot of the same flaws because people are blinded by biases and tend to get caught up in the moment(see: people claiming falco solidly beats MK after larry 6-0'd tyrant)

I agree that people take results at face value too much though, I think the strength of snake's userbase is the only reason he's #2 for instance

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
japan does their teir list like every other fighting game comunity they take an average of teh characters match ups and go in order of highest to lowest.

Why is Pit so high then?
We don't do ours like that. we try and use all of these crazy things, tourney results, Match ups, and it is voted upon by a much smaller sub set of the whole community. Sheik is way higher on any other countries lists too I believe than she is in america.
Cause they suck.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
G&W is still really good. People don't see how good he still is without Bair/limited doses.

Browny

Smash Hater
Lol @ SL

Because naming tiers after non-relative distances from the sea level of the earth is WAYYY less complicated than putting S before the rest of the alphabet.
At first I lol'd, but then you said non-relative, and then stated a reference point? :bee:

G&W is still really good. People don't see how good he still is without Bair/limited doses.
So is ROB imo

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

Do you understand the meaning of the word "versitile"?

gm jack

Smash Lord
And Zelda has the advantage on IC (and Pika I think) and Sheik can avoid the CG by chain camping, until Pikachu damages her to above the percentage range for the chain grab.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
And Zelda has the advantage on IC (and Pika I think) and Sheik can avoid the CG by chain camping, until Pikachu damages her to above the percentage range for the chain grab.
Zelda vs ICs is even at best.

On a side note I've never seen a Sheik take out a Pikachu with chain camping or heard of it ever being done in tournament outside of sandbagging. <<

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
GAW is just as solid? his main spacing tool that made everyone fear him to begin with/shut down half the cast, you can punish him *for hitting you with it*

lol ROB bias : )
The synergy with B-air and N-air still really help, both can be used as mix ups and they both have decent range and they have a long lasting hitbox. F-air makes a good KO aerial, all of his smashes are deadly, so obviously he has no problem killing. Also, G&W is the best planker in the game. Up-air blows them away, N-air is unpunishable from an edge hog, Up+B has invincibility frames and can stage spike. Even G&W spammy B special creates a nice wall of hit boxes, making it better than people think it is. The beginning hitbox of G&W D-air spikes... let's see what else... bucket braking puts G&W in a different weight class, same weight class as Mario I would say. G&W can absorb projectiles easily, the absorbing hitbox is HUGE!!! He can absorb projectiles from over him.

A lot of people have a misconception of G&W.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Pit should never be in A tier, seriously. A good recovery and a good camping game are not enough to get him to high tier, and his camping game isn't all that "wow" either, since he gains nothing from spamming arrows against opponents who know how to evade them (which is a LOT of opponents), and the damage output is also minimal. Sure, he has some nifty tricks here and there, but I don't see him ever being side-by-side with the rest of A tier. All his moves can be telegraphed, actually, which is detrimental to his playstyle; if he's in the air close to you, he's gonna fair you. If he's backwards, he's gonna bair you. If he's gliding, he's gonna glide attack you/glide right past you, which runs the risk of him getting hit. Other characters (even Kirby, the bottom of A tier) have more options for more situations than Pit does, as sad as it may sound for the angel.
I'm not fantastic or anything, but even I can think of (and use) options other than those in those situations. In the air in front of you, you can Fair, nair, drop -> uair, jump away, wait, air dodge through, etc. etc.

A gliding Pit can glide to the edge, glide under the stage (sometimes), glide attack, glide attack the ground -> sliding fsmash/grab, drop the glide -> fair, drop to the ground -> Fsmash/grab/dsmash/what have you, glide over, pull up -> glair...

Dunno about his placement, really, but I don't think he's as obvious as you think.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not fantastic or anything, but even I can think of (and use) options other than those in those situations. In the air in front of you, you can Fair, nair, drop -> uair, jump away, wait, air dodge through, etc. etc.

A gliding Pit can glide to the edge, glide under the stage (sometimes), glide attack, glide attack the ground -> sliding fsmash/grab, drop the glide -> fair, drop to the ground -> Fsmash/grab/dsmash/what have you, glide over, pull up -> glair...

Dunno about his placement, really, but I don't think he's as obvious as you think.
The point was that if Pit is in the air, he's going to attack you before he lands. Just wait for him to make his moves, shield, bam he's gonna receive damage now. Nair, fair, bair and whatever else he can do in the are all have the risk of being shielded and punished due to the small range they have in comparison to other characters' spacing options, which is why Pit depends on arrows to deal damage from mid (and long, of course) distances, as well as baiting-and-punishing. Hell, Pit can't even do two well-spaced aerials that can hit the enemy's shield out of a shorthop without fear of being grabbed/attacked by a longer-ranged move (which is common in the higher tiers), can he?

Such small things can amount to a lot of damage in a match where the opponent is equally skilled and knows the MU to perfection (Pit will know the MU too, hence his MU ratios... But point is, they'll know how to shieldcamp Pit and punish him accordingly).

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
The point was that if Pit is in the air, he's going to attack you before he lands. Just wait for him to make his moves, shield, bam he's gonna receive damage now.
Or land and grab, or jump away, or airdodge in -> utilt, etc. I was assuming both were in the air. every character has these options, why wouldn't Pit? He doesn't have an airgrab, no, but he's under no obligation to smack your shield and get punished.

Nair, fair, bair and whatever else he can do in the are all have the risk of being shielded and punished due to the small range they have in comparison to other characters' spacing options, which is why Pit depends on arrows to deal damage from mid (and long, of course) distances, as well as baiting-and-punishing.

Hell, Pit can't even do two well-spaced aerials that can hit the enemy's shield out of a shorthop without fear of being grabbed/attacked by a longer-ranged move (which is common in the higher tiers), can he?
Dunno why hitting a shield is so important, but fair *is* the only aerial that can do this consistently. I hear fullhop dair is pretty cool, but I don't use it ever, so I don't know. At any rate, Pit shouldn't be attacking your shield in the first place, or jumping at you so **** much.

You also haven't talked about Pit's ledge game, which is pretty **** fantastic. Pit shouldn't have to approach you , unless you're Olimar or TL or something and you're outspamming him. Even then he can get safety on the ledge (Oli can mess this up though. ****ing spaceman) and wait.

Such small things can amount to a lot of damage in a match where the opponent is equally skilled and knows the MU to perfection (Pit will know the MU too, hence his MU ratios... But point is, they'll know how to shieldcamp Pit and punish him accordingly).
Arrows lose a lot of luster when your opponent learns to powershield, it's true, but most still take some amount of damage if you're changing the timing of your arrows, so most characters still need to approach Pit. Either way, he has plenty of tools outside of that so that shieldcamping doesn't straight up shut him down.

Pit has a ton of problems, yes. His speed and range are pretty lackluster, his recovery is gimpable and his kill power is somewhat laughable. But being predictable isn't really a problem I think he has to have.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Pit isn't that bad at KOing. Walking F-smash gives him more range than a stutter stepped f-smash. Sweet spot B-air is very strong, one of the strongest aerials in the game actually, it can KO MK at 80% on a medium sized stage, and it can KO sooner than that if it hit's MK closer to the blast zone. Pit also has a good gimp game against some characters, he can use Mirror Shield to reflect their recovery the opposite way. Also, his glide attack KO's, it's slightly stronger than MK's glide attack, and Pit glides faster than any other character, so it catches the opponent off guard faster.

Pit isn't really slow on the ground either, his walking speed is quick for a walk, and his running speed his better than average.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Or land and grab, or jump away, or airdodge in -> utilt, etc. I was assuming both were in the air. every character has these options, why wouldn't Pit? He doesn't have an airgrab, no, but he's under no obligation to smack your shield and get punished.
You won't be able to land and do anything, since you'll be frametrapped by a grab. If the opponent starts a 6-frame grab 1-5 frames before you land, then on the 6th frame during your landing lag, you will get grabbed before you have a chance to counter with anything... And spotdodging won't help you much since they can put up their shields before any of your options to counter them.

And yes, 5 frames is a VERY large window of opportunity, and at high levels of play, it's easy to punish landings with anything, even grabs. Hell, 2 frames is still a viable window when you play other fighting games with no buffering like Melee/MvC2 (unless MvC2 has buffering, then I suck).

Dunno why hitting a shield is so important, but fair *is* the only aerial that can do this consistently. I hear fullhop dair is pretty cool, but I don't use it ever, so I don't know. At any rate, Pit shouldn't be attacking your shield in the first place, or jumping at you so **** much.
It's not important, in fact it's a bad idea to hit opponents' shields when you're prone to get grabbed. And by tipping your fair on their shield, are you thinking of the opponent standing still? Because I'm pretty sure that characters like Kirby, MK and DDD (Sakurai's children) can just run up to pit, shield that fair that was supposed to be properly spaced, and grab with their broke-*** grab ranges.

You also haven't talked about Pit's ledge game, which is pretty **** fantastic. Pit shouldn't have to approach you , unless you're Olimar or TL or something and you're outspamming him. Even then he can get safety on the ledge (Oli can mess this up though. ****ing spaceman) and wait.
I'm sure his ledgegame is something worthy of kings, but it hasn't bought me yet. If you mean ledgejump and shoot an arrow when in long/mid range, then uair plank when in close range, then yes it can be beat by some characters.

Arrows lose a lot of luster when your opponent learns to powershield, it's true, but most still take some amount of damage if you're changing the timing of your arrows, so most characters still need to approach Pit. Either way, he has plenty of tools outside of that so that shieldcamping doesn't straight up shut him down.
Even if you're changing the timing and powershielding is out of the equation... Simply shielding can put a stop to the arrow spam. With a mix of powershields (will happen) and normal shields, the distance between both characters will be shortened eventually to the point where shooting an arrow will result in damage for Pit.

Pit has a ton of problems, yes. His speed and range are pretty lackluster, his recovery is gimpable and his kill power is somewhat laughable. But being predictable isn't really a problem I think he has to have.
Predictability isn't a problem, it's how he's telegraphed. I can predict that Marth is gonna fair me, but I can't telegraph it since his fair is very hard to react to, and he can do it at any time out of a shorthop due to the range it has, as well as do 2 in a shorthop and auto-cancel it. Telegraphed moves are easier to avoid because you know when they'll be coming and you already have an option in mind that will cover all of your opponents', or that will cover some and avoid others. Telegraphed and predictable moves are pretty different in and of itself.

If you jump towards me, you're gonna either attack my shield from the air, or land and try some other maneuver with a large window for error, and your safe landing options aren't that great either (Kirby, the lowest A tier, has his bair which practically cancels when it touches the floor as well as knock back their opponents a bit if they shield, meaning that his landings are safer)... SO, you're telegraphed. At least some characters have aerials that autocancel/push your shield/1-frame combo breakers, Pit doesn't and he's pretty much destined to land into a grab if the opponents know how to exploit that.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Lol if armada was enough to make sheik heigher on the tier list you're seriously underestimating europe. Armada plays melee, I hope you get the hint

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
theorycraft theorycraft lol quote warz.

You won't be able to land and do anything, since you'll be frametrapped by a grab. If the opponent starts a 6-frame grab 1-5 frames before you land, then on the 6th frame during your landing lag, you will get grabbed before you have a chance to counter with anything... And spotdodging won't help you much since they can put up their shields before any of your options to counter them.

And yes, 5 frames is a VERY large window of opportunity, and at high levels of play, it's easy to punish landings with anything, even grabs. Hell, 2 frames is still a viable window when you play other fighting games with no buffering like Melee/MvC2 (unless MvC2 has buffering, then I suck).
Jump away is a fine option under the situation you described, as is airdodge->utilt. Utilt pokes shields early, too, so if you've had pressure on you you'll probably be hit if you didn't predict it. Regardless, this one situation isn't something that's going to happen often.

It's not important, in fact it's a bad idea to hit opponents' shields when you're prone to get grabbed. And by tipping your fair on their shield, are you thinking of the opponent standing still? Because I'm pretty sure that characters like Kirby, MK and DDD (Sakurai's children) can just run up to pit, shield that fair that was supposed to be properly spaced, and grab with their broke-*** grab ranges.
This is true. I just wondered why you brought the idea up.

I'm sure his ledgegame is something worthy of kings, but it hasn't bought me yet. If you mean ledgejump and shoot an arrow when in long/mid range, then uair plank when in close range, then yes it can be beat by some characters.
Of course it can be beat. He does, however, have more options than that. Due to his ability to go under most stage, ledgehop multiple attacks from his many jumps (every aerial has a use in this... dair's probably the least useful), ledgesnap with WoI (which pushes bombs and 'nades away from the ledge), and shoot arrows from the ledge, I'd feel safe saying he has one of the best planking games in Brawl. Not unbeatable, but **** good. And no character has any one strategy that totally shuts it down (Oli comes close though.)

Even if you're changing the timing and powershielding is out of the equation... Simply shielding can put a stop to the arrow spam. With a mix of powershields (will happen) and normal shields, the distance between both characters will be shortened eventually to the point where shooting an arrow will result in damage for Pit.
The idea is that it forces them to approach. If a Pit is firing an arrow close enough for the lag to get punished, he's doin' it wrong (something I do far too often, actually).

Predictability isn't a problem, it's how he's telegraphed. I can predict that Marth is gonna fair me, but I can't telegraph it since his fair is very hard to react to, and he can do it at any time out of a shorthop due to the range it has, as well as do 2 in a shorthop and auto-cancel it. Telegraphed moves are easier to avoid because you know when they'll be coming and you already have an option in mind that will cover all of your opponents', or that will cover some and avoid others. Telegraphed and predictable moves are pretty different in and of itself.

If you jump towards me, you're gonna either attack my shield from the air, or land and try some other maneuver with a large window for error, and your safe landing options aren't that great either (Kirby, the lowest A tier, has his bair which practically cancels when it touches the floor as well as knock back their opponents a bit if they shield, meaning that his landings are safer).
I think maybe I'm not clear on the terminology here. Care to define for me?

Also, Pit shouldn't be jumping at people's shields in the first place.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
Pit has some potential to go higher in the list. Not a lot higher but maybe the better end of B tier.

Pit is not as predictable as is being implied but it is true that right now he is easier to deal with than other characters. And yes his air game is not as good as that of you know maybe marth in terms of being telegraphed.

Pit's ledge game is fantastic. Maybe one of the only things really developed about pit. And it does consist of more than arrows and Uairs.

Sadly pit is severely underdeveloped and may not be for a long time. The pit boards are in constant disagreement which does not lead to very good discussion and insight into his meta game. With an advanced meta game and accurate frame data and things like this pit may have A tier potential. But as of right now he is going no where

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
theorycraft theorycraft lol quote warz.
Hey, I'm being careful to actually say thing that happen in matches. I myself apply what I've said in every single match as both Kirby and ZSS, so I know what can be done and what can't be done as far as what I've stated. :ohwell:

Jump away is a fine option under the situation you described, as is airdodge->utilt. Utilt pokes shields early, too, so if you've had pressure on you you'll probably be hit if you didn't predict it. Regardless, this one situation isn't something that's going to happen often.
But that's the thing, you can't just land a fair and expect to hit Pit's utilt when the opponent is shielding. If your opponent shields the fair, he'll be pushed out of your utilt's range and only attacks with better horizontal range than his utilt will be able to reach him, and he will be too busy shieldgrabbing you from a distance for you to notice your utilt won't reach and react properly.

Of course it can be beat. He does, however, have more options than that. Due to his ability to go under most stage, ledgehop multiple attacks from his many jumps (every aerial has a use in this... dair's probably the least useful), ledgesnap with WoI (which pushes bombs and 'nades away from the ledge), and shoot arrows from the ledge, I'd feel safe saying he has one of the best planking games in Brawl. Not unbeatable, but **** good. And no character has any one strategy that totally shuts it down (Oli comes close though.)
Well, I can't disagree that his ledge options are great, but one thing does not make a character better. Okay, so you have an exceptional ledge game... Now what? How are you gonna gain the advantage, or regain it if you're losing? What if your opponent can beat your ledge-camping options? Unless Pit doesn't have an answer that can be done consistently in tourneys and isn't situational, then I still haven't been bought.

The idea is that it forces them to approach. If a Pit is firing an arrow close enough for the lag to get punished, he's doin' it wrong (something I do far too often, actually).
Yeah I know, don't worry about that. I was just stating that Pit's arrow isn't as great a pressure tool as it's held up to be. Hell, characters WANT to approach Pit half the time since not many characters have the ability to camp from extremely long distances like Pit does, and Pit can reflect their projectiles too... So what you're doing is trying to damage them while they're approaching. And what if PIT'S the one at a disadvantage? How will he approach?

I think maybe I'm not clear on the terminology here. Care to define for me?
Well, 'telegraphed' is a coined term here in SWF (and other fighting games) that comes directly from its real definition. A 'telegraph' is a communication apparatus that only has 2 options: beep, or stop beeping. The coined term practically highlights that which has very few options. Pit's shorthop options are telegraphed beause he only has like 1-2 good options, and the opponent can cover them all with a shield and probably punish it with a shieldgrab/fast OoS option while Pit is landing due to the landing lag he has (auto-cancelling means he gets no landing lag, but he still gets landing lag, even if it's 1 frame it's still considered lag)... Predictability has to do with knowing what your opponent is gonna do beforehand, but not knowing when they're gonna do it. I can predict I'm gonna die, for example, but I won't know when... That's the gist of it.

Also, Pit shouldn't be jumping at people's shields in the first place.
What grounded options does Pit have at mid-close range that he can mix up with aerial approaches well enough to catch an opponent off-guard? With all the time it takes Pit to jump, attack and land, I'm pretty sure that the opponent is going to shield only if he sees you jumping.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
But that's the thing, you can't just land a fair and expect to hit Pit's utilt when the opponent is shielding. If your opponent shields the fair, he'll be pushed out of your utilt's range and only attacks with better horizontal range than his utilt will be able to reach him, and he will be too busy shieldgrabbing you from a distance for you to notice your utilt won't reach and react properly.
I meant instead of landing the fair ._.

Well, I can't disagree that his ledge options are great, but one thing does not make a character better. Okay, so you have an exceptional ledge game... Now what? How are you gonna gain the advantage, or regain it if you're losing? What if your opponent can beat your ledge-camping options? Unless Pit doesn't have an answer that can be done consistently in tourneys and isn't situational, then I still haven't been bought.
It's not an end-all-be-all, but it's a great part of the character that can't be ignored. If the opponent messes up and gets hit with an arrow, or gets grabbed at 0% (Woo! Free ~30 damage! ~40 if you're a heavy.) then I have the advantage, and can hold that against a large portion of the cast on the ledge. This is kind of a **** move, but can certainly be done. It's not like Pit straight up loses in close combat either. Dtilt is fast, decently ranged, and pops people up to be juggled or otherwise chased into the air, where our Uair beats almost anything. Jabs are great, and cancels and such can lead into a grab. Fsmash is frame 5 or 6, and does ~19 damage. AR is silly, but can be used to punish spotdodges and sometimes shielding. He has problems, for sure (Dsmash takes forever and sucks behind him, grab range is itty-bitty, etc.)

I should say, however, that kirby flattens me close up in my experience.

Yeah I know, don't worry about that. I was just stating that Pit's arrow isn't as great a pressure tool as it's held up to be. Hell, characters WANT to approach Pit half the time since not many characters have the ability to camp from extremely long distances like Pit does, and Pit can reflect their projectiles too... So what you're doing is trying to damage them while they're approaching. And what if PIT'S the one at a disadvantage? How will he approach?
Characters want to approach Pit because they have to. Pit wants to be approached. It would be easier to fight Pit if he was appraoching you.

Pit does indeed lack solid approach options, part of the reason why he has issues with Olimar and Falco, but it's not hopeless. I think this particular part of his game is a little too character specific and situational to really give any sort of summary on, but Pit is capable in his approach options. Not great, but capable.

Well, 'telegraphed' is a coined term here in SWF (and other fighting games) that comes directly from its real definition. A 'telegraph' is a communication apparatus that only has 2 options: beep, or stop beeping. The coined term practically highlights that which has very few options. Pit's shorthop options are telegraphed beause he only has like 1-2 good options, and the opponent can cover them all with a shield and probably punish it with a shieldgrab/fast OoS option while Pit is landing due to the landing lag he has (auto-cancelling means he gets no landing lag, but he still gets landing lag, even if it's 1 frame it's still considered lag)... Predictability has to do with knowing what your opponent is gonna do beforehand, but not knowing when they're gonna do it. I can predict I'm gonna die, for example, but I won't know when... That's the gist of it.
What grounded options does Pit have at mid-close range that he can mix up with aerial approaches well enough to catch an opponent off-guard? With all the time it takes Pit to jump, attack and land, I'm pretty sure that the opponent is going to shield only if he sees you jumping.
Ah, gotcha. Well, I'd personally probably stay on the ground, and shad-utilt and fullhop dair cover those options decently enough. I don't think Pit is a character who should be throwing out a lot of shot-hopped aerials against grounded opponents. Sliding Fsmashes and Dtilts, running away and then arrowing, running to the ledge, shieldgrabs, spacing games -> ftilt. These are the things I usually do a mid range. Opponent usually closes that range anyways.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Look at this discussion we've done just to clear up Pit's ability to regain an advantage/keep it from all characters, as opposed to others in higher tiers... The characters who are better than Pit are overall better, meaning that in some things they're worse and others they're better but altogether they sum up to be more than Pit's abilities can take him.

I meant instead of landing the fair ._.
I know, and when I said shieldgrab your SHAD landing (since the shield is there to protect him from any attacks you might try), you brought up fair again. :dizzy:

Heck, even some grounded attacks are faster than Pit's SHAD>utilt/grab, so as soon as they see you start an airdodge instead of attack, they'll be getting ready to grab/rametrap your landings with an attack (utilts work here, as well as dsmashes and lots of long-lasting hitboxes).

It's not an end-all-be-all, but it's a great part of the character that can't be ignored. If the opponent messes up and gets hit with an arrow, or gets grabbed at 0% (Woo! Free ~30 damage! ~40 if you're a heavy.) then I have the advantage, and can hold that against a large portion of the cast on the ledge. This is kind of a **** move, but can certainly be done. It's not like Pit straight up loses in close combat either. Dtilt is fast, decently ranged, and pops people up to be juggled or otherwise chased into the air, where our Uair beats almost anything. Jabs are great, and cancels and such can lead into a grab. Fsmash is frame 5 or 6, and does ~19 damage. AR is silly, but can be used to punish spotdodges and sometimes shielding. He has problems, for sure (Dsmash takes forever and sucks behind him, grab range is itty-bitty, etc.)
Yeah, that's what G&W and MK have for them when against opponents who are clearly dangerous up close... But if Pit has to do that to win all his matches or to maintain his advantage, then that pretty much means he's limited and only able to win because his single option of putting himself where the opponent has to take lots of damage and/or die is what makes opponents struggle.

The bad thing about Pit's multi-hit attacks is that they can be easily SDI'd, including his fsmash and uair, which is why I think his bair/fair/dsmash are better killing options. If a Pit player thinks he's gonna hit another character, and whiffs when the opponent saw it coming because of the distance between Pit and the opponent (I'm only gonna expect a fair when I'm close to your maximum fair range and you're facing towards me, for example), he's very likely to take damage.

Characters want to approach Pit because they have to. Pit wants to be approached. It would be easier to fight Pit if he was appraoching you.
That's what I said. :dizzy: Circles again.

And approaching isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure you have the upper hand, but that's where mindgames and all that whatnot come into play, you might whiff an attack expecting to hit with it, lose your advantage, and now you're on the other side of the rope: YOU have to approach and regain your advantage while they block your arrows and have the defensive upper hand. It's way harder for Pit to regain an advantage against a defensive opponent, that's for sure.

Pit does indeed lack solid approach options, part of the reason why he has issues with Olimar and Falco, but it's not hopeless. I think this particular part of his game is a little too character specific and situational to really give any sort of summary on, but Pit is capable in his approach options. Not great, but capable.
Ok, I can handle "capable". I called it "decent" back then, but "capable" works also.

...Which further proves my point that Pit has it harde than other characters at regaining advantages.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I'd personally probably stay on the ground, and shad-utilt and fullhop dair cover those options decently enough. I don't think Pit is a character who should be throwing out a lot of shot-hopped aerials against grounded opponents. Sliding Fsmashes and Dtilts, running away and then arrowing, running to the ledge, shieldgrabs, spacing games -> ftilt. These are the things I usually do a mid range. Opponent usually closes that range anyways.
Pit truly shines in the air, so having a grounded Pit is pretty nasty when this game is grab-happy and defensive. Sure you can bait and punish... But is his punishing game as effective as other characters? To his dismay, I think not, sorry.

etecoon

Smash Hero
that depends on where you draw the line between "really good" and "top", by the way I was using it, you could say that of like 30-50 meta knight players. I didn't counter your argument because you didn't have one, "lol sheik wins nothing" says nothing about the character and isn't going to cause me to put any actual effort into arguing with you, you have to do better than that. given WHO uses her she SHOULDN'T be winning that much, she's extremely underrepped. it says nothing of her potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom