• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official R.O.B. Boards Video Thread

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
There's too much to learn with R.O.B.

I consider him the most technical character in Brawl. Maybe that's why everyone disagrees with me when I say Brawl is more technical than Melee... They don't main R.O.B... :(
How many other characters have you played though? ROB is fairly simple once you get his wavebounces down. I consider Peach the most technical character in the game. The only reason I don't go all Peach at tournaments is because of how technical she is, I can't stay at the top of my game for an entire tournament, I get too mentally exhausted, where ROB doesn't take much out of me and I can stay consistent with him for the day.

I also consider characters like Diddy, Falco and a few others to be more technical than ROB. He's sorta up there, but definitely not the most technical. Playing more technical characters then coming back to ROB is a good feeling though, I have to admit. He feels so easy to play now, and I'm much more comfortable playing him now.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I guess....

It's my own opinion. Sorry to start a commotion.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
ROB is techinical, and one of the harder non poopy characters to play. Not hard in terms of tech skill, but you have to WORK for every win you get in tourney. At high level play ROB's options can be beat. It's about being smart, and keeping pressure on people to cause THEM to mess up, giving your options more leeway.
ROB MAINS>SMASH COMMUNITY

:phone:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
if he's not hard to play, but hard to get a win, that's why he's mid tier

so he is poopy :p

but i wouldn't have it any other way

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I would post some videos, but people never upload them, even when they record at tournaments. Kinda annoying. I would record some myself, but my capture card stopped working properly.

8Bitman

Smash Master
You do too many pointless things when you are scared/behind.

I can review it if you want. I don't have time now, but tomorrow I will be online all day.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm not gonna go into major details here, unless you really want me to, but just some general things I saw both matches.

-You weren't taking your kills, there was a time game one where he landed with lag right next to you, and you could have easily fsmashed him, but I think you jabbed or dmsmashed instead.
-You kept dsmashing even though he was getting out and punishing you for it every time.
-You weren't DIing out of his dsmash, you need to work on that, it got you killed twice game 1.
-You weren't attacking him offstage very well, it looked like a lot of misused attacks and not getting off the stage in time.
-The suicide at the beginning of game 2...
-Btw, why Delfino? Just wondering.
-It just looked like nerves got to you or something. You weren't choosing your moves very well, or even spacing all that well. I know you're better than this.
-Also when you grabbed him when he was at 180% game 1, you back threw him instead of up threw him, which would have killed him. Again, poor move selection.

Yeah...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm not gonna go into major details here, unless you really want me to, but just some general things I saw both matches.

-You weren't taking your kills, there was a time game one where he landed with lag right next to you, and you could have easily fsmashed him, but I think you jabbed or dmsmashed instead.
the only times I could see were when he landed with a nair but I had already tried to fsmash upwards when he was nairing, it just missed so I was in lag too and couldn't punish his. a lot of his rolls I would use jab but thats because its safe. i dont want to go for hard reads out of rolls against good players when a small mistake would get me murdered.
-You kept dsmashing even though he was getting out and punishing you for it every time.
sorry but this isnt even true >.> after like halfway into my 2nd stock in the first game I stopped dsmashing altogether. because it wasn't working before that, yes =p most people either don't DI out of dsmash or do DI out but dont know how to punish. esam knew how to DI out and punish =[ but I did stop dsmashing, lol.
-You weren't DIing out of his dsmash, you need to work on that, it got you killed twice game 1.
yeahhhh I know =[ robs fat. ill work on it
-You weren't attacking him offstage very well, it looked like a lot of misused attacks and not getting off the stage in time.
rob cant cover pika offstage too well because he has tjolts covering him. thats why I tried to just stay on stage and ledgeguard him more instead, since ROBs good at that too. though if you could point out specific moments where I could've gone offstage to edgeguard safely i'd LOVE to know, because that would be a great way for me to actually kill him lol
-The suicide at the beginning of game 2...
=[
-Btw, why Delfino? Just wondering.
I wanted somewhere where I could get away from tjolts, that angle is just so ugh for rob =[
-It just looked like nerves got to you or something. You weren't choosing your moves very well, or even spacing all that well. I know you're better than this.
possibly nerves, but no johns. just gotta come back stronger...btw on choosing my moves and spacing, i kind of need specifics =/ blanket statements like that just dont help at all lol, sorry <3
-Also when you grabbed him when he was at 180% game 1, you back threw him instead of up threw him, which would have killed him. Again, poor move selection.
idt uthrow would've killed there with proper DI, that move is *** lol. he was only at 170 when I grabbed him btw
Yeah...
responses in ylw

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Idk, I've always had it in my mind that when you play a character who isn't top tier, you need to make a few more risky options than you would like if you want to succeed, especially against top players. So basically, I'll go offstage against anyone, even if it's just grabbing the ledge. There were a few times where you just stayed on the stage, and you could have grabbed the edge and put him in a worse spot. Tjolts are no problem when you have ledge invincibility.

He landed with a laggy bair around 2:13, and instead of fsmashing down, you picked up the gyro and threw it at him, the fsmash probably could've killed.

You could have put him in a bad spot at 2:40 if you didn't miss the edge grab, but you let him recover instead. :/

@1:41, why side B? And you just jumped up and kinda just let him kill you...

@1:51, another fsmash opportunity, but you ftilted instead, and then you daired offstage, any other aerial would have worked so much better there.

Those are the major things that jumped out at me.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
@2:13 very true, thx

@2:40 sadly not true, against esam if I had gotten the ledgegrab there, he would've just QAC onstage, and then I'd be in a bad spot. I didnt actually want the ledge there haha. it was just a bait.

@1:41 because he was falling with me, but he had to act first due to us being over the blast zone and him having a worse recovery than me...he can't go down as far. thats why I side-B'd, because I could have a constant hitbox out that he couldnt jump through and hit me with. picture it this way, if I had done a normal option there (fair), if it had whiffed he could've then jumped and punished with a nair then killed. if I had waited and done nothing, he could've jumped whenever he wanted and naired and killed. so I side B'd trying to trap him. unfortunately it hit him; with the ****ty hitbox that does nothing which is what makes side B so bad XD so then he just got a free ledgegrab. I didnt uair right away because he could've fallen with ledge invinc. and naired me through, so I was gonna wait a bit and start my uair. unfortunately I waited too long.

@1:51 very true on fsmash, Im not used to people actually falling into those gyros anymore lol I was just throwing the ftilt out for safety. and the dair was a technical error I'd assume, because I have no clue why I would do that there o.O he wasnt even going that way lol. my mistake

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yes 8bitman, I know. thanks for the help.
and I tried SDIing dsmash up, it made my DI *** for the last hit as you can see. I'm just gonna DI it to the sides so at least I'll be safe if I fail.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Trololololololo

But in all seriousness, Pikachu isn't a hard MU. Do you play online/know any pikachu's around to play?

I remember playing KPrime online for like 2 hours like 2 or 3 days before the tourney I beat Esam.....

I didn't even win 1 match against KPrime.

But just the little things helped, like knowing how to SDI Pikachu's smash attacks.

How to DI Pikachu's USmash, so I don't get hit by Lightning.

When you get around Pikachu's killing moves and Spam like a *** the Pikachu MU turns into R.O.B's favor. It is one of my more liked MU's. =) And I don't play much Pikachu's at all.

ALSO! EDIT!!!: The* very first time I played Esam in tourney, I got 3-stocked both matches, just like you... Two sets later.... **** happens.... Trulululululu

8Bitman

Smash Master
I know he's good. But you can't have a Mindset where you feel the MU is IMPOSSIBLE! The game is all in your head. IDK I like to believe that, calms me down in matches.

He's not good, he's GREAT, I laughed when he got that last kill on you on Delfino. Just sayin.... :awesome:

8Bitman

Smash Master
Lol yeah he did rock you, but with sets like that, you can only improve. I mean ****, you can take at least one stock off him next time.

Do you have a FB? Skype? I want to chat about the MU with you, and help you out a bit. You shall be my reincarnation until Esam comes back to FL for a tourney. :3

8Bitman

Smash Master
Alright kewl.

I will talk to you tomorrow?

I like reviewing matches, takes me forever to go through one, but I guess yours will be fun. ^_^

Any particular time tomorrow, or just when we see each other online?

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Hi R.O.B boards I have a set I would like reviewed its a lil old by now (2 months or so ) but been working on somethings would like some input as to what I'm doing that is good, what I could be doing and what I should stop doing completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihzcuso04UI

please skip to 10:15 for R.O.B

hope people can and want to give me advice.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I'll finish watching the matches do a write up in a bit, but I have to say, that announcer downplays ROB hard. Also, didn't watch the DK matches, but that Marth seems very... subpar. No offense to him, but you kinda bodied him game 1, lol.

Top Bottom