• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official R.O.B. Boards Video Thread

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Ok I got some videos... not expecting much/any feedback, just enjoy

1) Vs. Toon Link 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmIN2rtg2c
2) """""""""""""" 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAQOADE2Bg
3) Vs. Marth 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD3QDl11Ows
4) """""""""" 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VjfKzyzlEo
Good stuff Rekros, though I only have time now to do one TL vid.

Game 1:

1st stock -
0:57 - Man I was really hoping you were going to bounce the gyro off the tree into TL's back, gyro has a million tricks when you think outside the box.
1:00 - 1:15 -Nice Gyro usage, I dont usually see enough of that from ROBs, when really its one of his best maneuverability devices, and you were wreckin.
1:23 - You caught him off guard with that nair, it was good on your part but he could have easily dodged it.
1:25 - Would have been the perfect time to bounce your gyro off the tree and get it in hand, instead you taunted.
1:32 - Its good that you're using U-air when hes at low %, its a good way to rack damage and keep kill moves fresh.

2nd stock -
1:50 - You tried to dash attack > F-air and ate a couple hits because of it, U-tilt or Jab would have been a much better option.
1:53 - You do alot of mid-range lasers, not a good idea. You want to keep some movement with lasers since they're so punishable, try running away > reverse lasers.
2:20 - More good gyro use.
2:32 - You were getting kinda predictable by the 4th F-smash

3rd stock -
You use TONS more Gyro this stock, and see how good it does at blocking projectiles

3:53 - You're really trying really hard to drop that gyro down on top of him, and get punished alot. Try shooting it against the back wall (The rock itself) it will ricochet down on top of him, and keep you at a safe angle where bombs cant hurt you.
Im glad to see that you're trying to finish him with a fully charged gyro, its often a forgotten kill move. He dodges it well though, since you were shooting it predictably. Next time, try to fully charge it then move in slowly and see how he reacts. Hes already under pressure, holding the fully charged gyro will add even more pressure, and he'll probably do some dumb stuff. Just wait for the right moment for the kill.

More later, but mainly you need to walk and powershield more against TL.

Rekros

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the critique, will definitely apply the advice and make the ROB community proud next tourney. Waiting patiently for the Marth critiques

stingers

Smash Obsessed
BF's the most important stage in the game, so I'll critique that one! I'll just go through and say little things I notice as I watch

0:04 Don't run off turnaround gyro at the start. drop through or run off wavebounce. You can't afford to be pushed up against the sides of the stage against marth, especially not so early on. ROB needs to establish stage control early on or it's very hard to get back.

0:09 You had the tilt lock! Don't be afraid to play more reactionary, I've noticed a lot of players have what I think of as "Japan Syndrome" where they try to plan out their next few moves when really they just need to react to whats in front of them. Of course you need to have some things in your long term memory (like habits the opponent has that you've noticed or conditioning or your opponent trying to condition you or things like that). but tactics like these should always be short term...be aware that most people will airdodge/tech before being put into that situation, but next time, get that tilt lock =]

0:13 You had a marth on the ledge and you just stand halfway across the stage and don't apply any pressure at all?! A marth on the ledge is cornered, he has no guaranteed options to get off the ledge against ROB (nor do we for him, but that's what makes this matchup so fun =3). Use that to your advantage, pressure him like crazy with bairs and tilts and make him go through hell on earth to get back on stage against you

0:22 Usmash is a terrible punisher, uair is almost always preferred. actually ROBs in general need to start uairing a lot more, that move is broken

0:40 Don't pummel at low %s, just throw them fast and take advantage of the fact that ROBs throw animations are all very fast so you can catch them off balance and follow up easier

0:48 Be more aware of where your opponent is relative to where you are

1:08 You had a gyro and you wasted it =/ gyros are functionally no different from diddy's bananas when you are holding one (aka option covering machines), except they are far more difficult to spawn and much more fragile...so you have to be very careful with them

1:30 Don't waste your charges either

1:35 spotdodge dsmash is really dangerous against marths that up-b...but this marth doesnt seem to so you're fine. still just thought I should mention it

1:52 Don't airdodge into the ground. terrible habit

@the end: funny gimp =p

Rekros

Smash Cadet
Man all you're telling me, the first time I saw the video I was like why did I do that, bad habits are bad XD and yes he's a new Marth so he still doesn't know much with him a pro Marth would've been bad :c, he's a better TL. Anyway thanks for the critiques again really appreciate it :)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
First respectable videos I've ever had. Shame we forgot to save Game 2 where I won on Frigate. I dominated first stock too. ;[ First game sucks though, I played terrible and bucked up after that. Eric is probably interested in seeing them!

Lab 1: Mr.E (ROB) vs. Hilt (Olimar), same tourney as Excel/Eric above except it was first round bracket. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myT0OM8Jrfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYsl5JLPSM

Come on Eric, how you gonna lose to Excel? And did you see that Shuttle Loop hitbox at 6:01 in the last game? wtf :glare:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
going rob primarily the tournament tomorrow, its highly likely that this will be my last post before i go, ish me luck!

also, i hope to have videos up...WITH COMMENTARY!

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
First respectable videos I've ever had. Shame we forgot to save Game 2 where I won on Frigate. I dominated first stock too. ;[ First game sucks though, I played terrible and bucked up after that. Eric is probably interested in seeing them!

Lab 1: Mr.E (ROB) vs. Hilt (Olimar), same tourney as Excel/Eric above except it was first round bracket. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myT0OM8Jrfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYsl5JLPSM

Come on Eric, how you gonna lose to Excel? And did you see that Shuttle Loop hitbox at 6:01 in the last game? wtf :glare:
You're next E. :glare:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
lol why did you post these here excel. you know i've seen them already xD

and they def don't help out rob any haha.

Twas poolz

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Hrm, if I had to guess, what I was probably asking about was a glide toss, but maybe not. When you throw gyros, how do you usually do it? Smash A, C-stick or z-toss? If you're retreating away from an opponent and you want to throw the item behind you quickly, how would you do it?

Top Bottom