• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Master Hand Guide

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why would anyone want to play as MH? He has 0-10 matchups against everyone but himself.
It says in the OP.
He is a counter-pick against Jigglypuff actually, and he is great in team battles.
I don't expect anyone to main him full on, just as a secondary/tertiary.

jw what happens if both players want to be master hand in a tournament?
in first game
i no in the other games you choose char based on CP stuff
lolwut? English plox.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't know if he counters puff but it is his best match-up
I'd say he does. Maybe 60:50 > 70:50. Not by much, but I'm sure it is a counter.

Here are all the advantages MH has (I think):
• Insane shield pressure.
• Strong attacks kill Puff quickly because of weight.
• Puff has no projectile and short range, so has to get in close to attack.
• Bad at jumping over attacks.
• Rest doesn't work.
• WoP doesn't work.
• Puff is floaty, making her easy to hit in the air.

Ryzol_

Smash Apprentice
Greenville, SC (school) Charlotte, NC(break)
I'd say he does. Maybe 60:50 > 70:50. Not by much, but I'm sure it is a counter.

Here are all the advantages MH has (I think):
• Insane shield pressure.
• Strong attacks kill Puff quickly because of weight.
• Puff has no projectile and short range, so has to get in close to attack.
• Bad at jumping over attacks.
• Rest doesn't work.
• WoP doesn't work.
• Puff is floaty, making her easy to hit in the air.
No it's a 0-10 matchup. Puff hits MH once then edgestalls for 8 minutes. Maybe on Brinstar MH could hit puff, but you get a ban. Also, every attack can be avoided by spotdodging, rolling, or airdodging if needed.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No it's a 0-10 matchup. Puff hits MH once then edgestalls for 8 minutes. Maybe on Brinstar MH could hit puff, but you get a ban. Also, every attack can be avoided by spotdodging, rolling, or airdodging if needed.
edgeSTALLS.

I seem to remember stalling being banned in the current ruleset. Deliberately avoiding all contact or something?

If she times the spot-dodge/roll wrong she gets uber punished.
And remember, only 1 KO is needed to win, it's not like we are trying to KO her 4 times or something.

Maybe it isn't a CP then, but I'm sure it would be on some stages like Poke Floats.

There's also unpredictability, sure you can dodge all of MH's attacks if you have played against him enough before, but that is quite uncommon.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey your playing theory way to much there have you played many jigglypuffs? even with MH? I doubt it. that's why i don't give my input about pichu vs link because i've never played it before.

SSBMaster11

Smash Rookie
"No player can be Zelda because if the match is reset, the results screen will have Master Hand represented by Sheik, and there can't be two Zeldas."

Um...I've played as Zelda/Sheik against MH, and it worked perfectly fine.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
"No player can be Zelda because if the match is reset, the results screen will have Master Hand represented by Sheik, and there can't be two Zeldas."

Um...I've played as Zelda/Sheik against MH, and it worked perfectly fine.
Woops, that was copypasta from Smash Wiki. Will change.

@ICG
I'm working off theory, there are like... no Jiggly mains in Australia other than myself... Same with climbers...

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
@ICG you are an Ice climbers main what would that match up v. master hand be?

@GrimTuesday I have noticed that though it works fine v Zelda it freezes up more with Zelda than any other character, but maybe that is just me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@ICG you are an Ice climbers main what would that match up v. master hand be?

@GrimTuesday I have noticed that though it works fine v Zelda it freezes up more with Zelda than any other character, but maybe that is just me.
I'm also an Ice Climber main, the match-up is in ICs favour (like with pretty much everyone). Fair absolutely slaughters you because there are two of them, and their recovery works well against MH because he can't really edge-guard against it most of the time.

I don't know if that is a coincidence or not, I still need to work out what exactly causes these freezes.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
Grim, how do you want me to set up the frame data? I can't make it all pretty, I can just tell you when he has a hitbox, when he's on the stage, when he's off the stage, etc. Want me to PM you what I have so far in regards to his A^ attack?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Sense Master Hands "Combos" are Stage dependent is the "Combo" Video going to use all the stages or just the legal ones? (or just the ones where "Combos" are possible.)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
NEW INFO

it turns out master hand doesn't seem to have all of his attacks. when my little brother was playing melee today when he got to master hand and got grabbed I noticed master hand had a back throw and he used it twice and my brother doesn't know how to shake out I thought it was neat we can't use his whole movepool however up-throw is way better.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Sense Master Hands "Combos" are Stage dependent is the "Combo" Video going to use all the stages or just the legal ones? (or just the ones where "Combos" are possible.)
Only the legal ones.

NEW INFO

it turns out master hand doesn't seem to have all of his attacks. when my little brother was playing melee today when he got to master hand and got grabbed I noticed master hand had a back throw and he used it twice and my brother doesn't know how to shake out I thought it was neat we can't use his whole movepool however up-throw is way better.
Interesting...

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
why does everyone gp nazi on me? like master hand being played, the little pichu that could win, or brinstar depths. I have legit reasoning for all, even if MH didn't freeeze up people would still what him banned because he is different they will keep making up BS reasons no matter what. if the game freezes then don't pick MH anymore for the set fair enough right? setting up takes 1 minute with melee holder 2 with a wii.

it's not to much of a curse is it?
you lost to phatgamer in pichu dittos dog

what is this "could win" business

Hax

Smash Champion
as much as i wish he could be legalized cause he counters jiggs, what happens when both players want to play master hand? =/

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Great pic, I'll add it to the main post along with that frame data you gave me!

as much as i wish he could be legalized cause he counters jiggs, what happens when both players want to play master hand? =/
In this VERY VERY rare occurrence, It could be solved via rock-paper-scissors. The issue is not important or frequent enough to be an issue, you might as well be arguing over who gets to lose rather than who gets Master Hand.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I believe in myself however I also hate on myself a good amount and I refuse I say i'm better than someone esle or say i'm good. really I think suck uber bad I've heard people tell me I don't after playing them but I somehow can't understand. i'm bound overhyped. also at POe3 somehow I lost everylast pichu ditto I played that day. I blame YS and pichu is way to small to tell apart, both cost me a number of lifes in all those matches.

Yes I hate YS.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I do not know how to make a MH "Combo" video and put it on youtube however my father said he can help and I might be able to help with the combo video (I will not say for certain though, it depends on if me and my father can work with the tech. of recording because I know I can not get it to work.) but my question is What types of tech. and "Combos" are you looking for in particular and what do you wish me to put emphasis on maneuver wise (presuming I can get it to work. :( ).

By the way congrats on the sticky. :)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I do not know how to make a MH "Combo" video and put it on youtube however my father said he can help and I might be able to help with the combo video (I will not say for certain though, it depends on if me and my father can work with the tech. of recording because I know I can not get it to work.) but my question is What types of tech. and "Combos" are you looking for in particular and what do you wish me to put emphasis on maneuver wise (presuming I can get it to work. :( ).

By the way congrats on the sticky. :)
Cheers, my first stickied topic XD.

Capture Cards are the best way to record Smash, but camera can be used as well. I am looking for anything that looks cool really; spiking with walk, bouncing bullets off walls with Gun, etc...

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Does the "combo" video have to have practical, or does it just have to use flashy a lot of situational tech. that look really cool but one should not expect to work unless in he/she are in certain circumstance. (I can do cool and flashy with all the tech. but a practical how to win is going to be tricker to show in a "combo" video.)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Does the "combo" video have to have practical, or does it just have to use flashy a lot of situational tech. that look really cool but one should not expect to work unless in he/she are in certain circumstance. (I can do cool and flashy with all the tech. but a practical how to win is going to be tricker to show in a "combo" video.)
Well, no banned stages or anything, but using non-match situations is fine.

Top Bottom