• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Master Hand Guide

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Greetings. This is a project I have been working on for awhile now, ever since I had a discussion with Insane Carzy Guy about Master Hand's potential. This thread's purposes are to spread awareness about the Master Hand glitch, explain how to use him effectively, attempt to convince others to try him out, and as a compendium for all information regarding him and the glitch.

NOTE: I am in no way trying to steal Dragoon Fighter's thunder with this thread. I was just inspired by him to make a more detailed and formal thread on the same topic. The reason I didn't just send this information to him to add to his guide is because I would like to be able to format and update this information in my own way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O - CONTENTS
Press Ctrl+F to search for a specific section.
O - Contents
i - Who is Master Hand?
ii - How do I play as Master Hand?
iii - Wait... am I allowed to use Master Hand?
iv - Why should I use Master Hand?
v - Rulings
vi - Advantages
vii - Disadvantages
viii - Moveset
ix - General Playstyle
x - Stage Specific Playstyles
xi - Match-Ups
xii - Miscellaneous Info
xiii - What Works?
xiv - Frame Data
xv - Bibliography and Conclusion​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i - Who is Master Hand?
Master Hand is a glove-like entity and a character in all three games in the Super Smash Brothers series. He is the final boss of the 1-Player Mode in the original Super Smash Brothers, and the final boss of Classic Mode in both Super Smash Brothers Melee and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Storyline wise, he is a very mysterious character. It is implied that he created the Super Smash Brothers world by the opening of the original Super Smash Brothers, but many theories exist as to his true purpose. He is normally unplayable in all three Smash Bros. games, and can only be accessed in the original and Brawl by using a cheating device (such as Gameshark or Action Replay), and in Melee with a glitch (Though he can be accessed in Melee with a cheat device as well).

ii - How do I play as Master Hand?
Master Hand is playable in Super Smash Brothers Melee in two ways:
a) Hacking (via Computer or Action Replay-like devices)
b) The Name Entry Glitch.
I know very little about hacking in Melee so I will thusly be unable to expand upon any details regarding that method of play, I can and will however descrive the Name Entry Glitch in detail. There are two methods to the Name Entry Glitch, a 1-player one and a 2-player one. While the 2-player method is generally much easier, it is recommended to learn the 1-player method as well as it is much more versatile (not needing another player/controller to initiate and can be used in more modes) and less annoying for players who don’t want to lend you their controller for five minutes while you try and get the timing right.

Method One (One controller)
This method works on all modes except Tournament, but many things freeze the game.
You must have a controller in slot 3. Using this controller, place the cursor over the name field on the character selection screen. Now press the A and B buttons at the same time, and you will come to the name selection. Hold the B button, but release the A button, then go down with the cursor until you are over the "name entry field". Then press the A button at the right time. The game should want to go back to the menu, because you held the B button, but it should also want go to the name entry screen, because you pressed the A button over "name entry". If performed correctly, instead of going to either of these, the game should go to the stage selection screen (or, in Single Player, straight to the game). After selecting your stage, you will be playing as Master Hand.

Method Two (Two controllers)
This method is much simpler, but it only works in Melee mode. To perform it, simply have two controllers, and have one be in the third controller port, and the other in any other port. Have the controller that's not player three select a character, and then hover over the back button, while the one in the third port goes to select a name, and have them hover over the new entry button. Both controllers must then hit A at the same time, as to select their option, and the stage select screen will appear(there is slight leeway between selection, but very little, less than a second). On whatever stage selected, player 3 will be Master Hand.

Explanation of the Glitch:
Each character in the game has an ID number. When a character is selected on the character selection screen, the game loads that character's number. This glitch forces the game to advance to the stage selection screen before the player selects a character, which results in the game not being told what character to load. Because of this, the game loads the character whose ID number is 0, which happens to be Master Hand.

For more detailed information, see the Smash Boards thread where this glitch was brought to English-speaking player’s attention here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237291

NOTE: ryuu seika has informed me that the glitch will ALWAYS freeze on PAL 50hz. If I can get someone else to confirm this, and/or see if it works on NTSC 50hz, that'd be great.

Wait... am I allowed to use Master Hand?
Technically, yes. The glitch has not been banned by the Smash Back Room and I have never seen it banned in anyone’s tournament rulesets. There are a couple of catches though:
a) If Master Hand causes the game to freeze at any point, this would also result in a forfeit. Master Hand always freezes at the end of a match, so wether that is a forfeit or not is up to the Tournament Organizer, and possibly your opponent.
b) If you take too long to execute the glitch, the TO may take action.

iv - Why should I use Master Hand?
Firstly, I’d like to get this out of the way.
MASTER HAND IS BAD.
Make sure you know this before picking him up. The only possible uses we have found for him so far have been against Jigglypuff and in Team Battles. Aside from those instances, you might as well use Pichu.

Now then, some of the obvious reasons to use Master Hand are:
• To be unique. MH is the least used character in Super Smash Bros. history by FAR.
• Rule of Cool. MH is a giant floating glove, accessible only by a glitch and is a boss in all three games in the series.
• Notoriety. Are you gonna be known if you remain a mediocre Fox player? Doubtful. If you get good with the worst and weirdest character in the game? Better Luck.
• It can improve both your timing and prediction with other characters by a small amount.
• You would be helping to develop a character's meta-game.
• The challenge. If you can get good with MH, who CAN'T you get good with?

v - Rulings
To be Added...

vi - Advantages
• Cannot be grabbed.
• Cannot be comboed.
• Very high priority (Higher than Brinstar’s lava) on all attacks.
• Very powerful attacks.
• Has a lot of spikes and metor smashes.
• Unaffected by Stale-Move Negation.
• Doesn’t suffer from knockback.
• Large range.
• Attacks greatly pressure shield.
• Floats above the ground, so many grounded attacks do not affect him, and small opponents are forced to jump to reach him.
• Only has to KO the opponent once to win.
• Can be unpredictable as not many people are used to playing against him.
• Doesn’t suffer from Hoop Damage.
• Is a great counter-pick to Jigglypuff.
• Moves with the stage in scrolling stages.

vii - Disadvantages
• All attacks are very predictable.
• All attacks have significant starting and/or ending lag.
• Some of his attacks don’t work well on some stages.
• Cannot use any advanced techniques.
• Cannot spotdodge, shield, roll or move to avoid opponent’s attacks.
• Not many ways to edgeguard effectively.
• Very large target.
• Automatically loses due to stalling on Corneria and Princess Peach’s Castle. DEBATABLE: Mr. Anon pointed out to me that the specific ruling for Stalling is "any action that deliberately avoids all fighting conflict to make the game unplayable". As it is not deliberately avoiding contact, that ruling technically doesn't apply.
• Controller Port can be disputed in tournaments, and if you using Controller Port 3 is disputed, you may be unable to play as Master Hand.
• He automatically targets the player with the lowest controller port number (Starting with 1 and going up to 4), making hitting the second in team battles more difficult.
• He has a very limited move-pool to choose from.

viii - Moveset

NOTES: Please note the following when playing as Master Hand:
a) Master Hand’s moves with directional inputs are pressed on the D-Pad and not the Control Stick. The Control Stick has no function when playing as Master Hand.
b) Master Hand cannot be moved in any way other than attacking.
c) Master Hand will only be playable when the person who wants to play as him has their controller in Controller Slot 3, he will not respond to any button inputs in any other slot.

ix - General Playstyle
Master Hand’s general playstyle relies heavily on prediction, to make up for his slow and predictable attacks. You need to know your moves inside and out, when they hit, how long they take to start up, where they knock the opponent, etc... He works to the best effect on moving stages or stages with hazards, as it distracts the opponent from dodging your attacks. He can normally kill after about 6-7 hits, and after killing them just once, you’ve already won. Once they are on high enough damage it becomes easier to play against them, as even a small attack gives a huge advantage because of its knockback.

Master Hand doesn't perform well on the neutral stages (except Yoshi's Story), but once you can counterpick you should have an easier time (I suggest Jungle Japes, but Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar and Poke Floats are also acceptable).

Master Hand has two moves you will normally use much more than others, his Slap and Walk attacks. The Slap has large range, is quite fast compared to his other attacks and can KO very easily. Walk is easily his most versatile move, it combos into itself, spikes, has huge range and considerable knockback.

Aside from those two moves, several others deserve mention. Crush (Av) has quite good horizontal range and always sets up for an edge-guard, often even KOing the opponent on the spot.

His Gun (B>) and Poke (R<) are the moves you will probably be using most frequently aside from the Slap and Walk. The Poke is good for knocking the opponent back, and having multiple hits means that if the opponent messes up dodging, they are almost sure to be hit. The Gun is better for damage racking than knockback, and isn't very useful until you are over 150% damage, then the Gun fires 2 more bullets which serve the same purpose as the extra Pokes (to punish the opponent's mistake). I wouldn't recommend the Gun until it has the upgrade.

His remaining moves don't have much going for them, but I will list possible techniques for them anyway. I would suggest only using His Grab (Z^/>) in Team Battles when the opponent is distracted, as it is too easily avoided 1v1. The upward throw KOs light-weight opponents very quickly, but the Z> spike isn’t very useful as you are rarely off the stage to actually KO with it, but some stages do provide the opportunity (Rainbow Ride, Poke Floats, etc...).

Neither Ram or Jet are very useful. Jet can be used to spike as an edge-guarding technique against characters with predictable recoveries, Ram doesn't seem to have any practical use. I wouldn't recommend using either, only Jet if you think you can spike with it.

Lasers. NEVER use them. Ever. We clear? Good.

His Smash is an okay attack, but most of the time the opponent recuperates from the attack before you do, making Crush much better in virtually every situation. Sweep (L^) doesn't appear to be as good as his Slap, but I’m trying to figure out it's uses.

His Drill (Rv) goes through platforms, this can be used to trick some opponents, it is generally quite difficult to hit with but if it DOES hit, it racks up damage insanely quickly, once again I am trying to find the best uses for this attack, I feel it does have potential.

I believe Master Hand has a large amount of potential in Team Battles for a number of reasons. Firstly, he serves as a stock-tank for your partner, allowing them to effectively have 7 Stock total by using the "Share Stock" function whenever they die. Because of Master Hand's large range on attacks, he is able to hit both opponents at the same time with relevant ease. Your partner acts as a distraction allowing you to hit with your attacks more easily, and will also be fighting with you and can make up for the things you have difficulty doing (spiking off-stage, damage racking, etc...). Unfortunately, this method also has some down sides. The most prominent being that you have a large chance of hitting your partner with your attacks if you don't communicate well.

I also believe Master Hand has a large amount of potential as a counter-pick to Jigglypuff. While the match-up will be explained in detail below, I will give a brief explanation here. Jigglypuff's Rest leaves her vulnerable to being hit, she is light and thus KO'd easily by Master Hand, she is floaty which lets you hit her multiple times without touching the ground at high percents, she needs to get close to hit you and is slow at retreating. MH's attacks are incredibly damaging on the shield, making shielding an unsafe option for Jiggly. Puff's jumps are too slow to jump over quite a few attacks in some cases. Her slow recovery gives MH an easier time edge-guarding her.

x - Stage Specific Playstyles
Neutral Stages
Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi's Story
Jet: Works normally.
Ram: Works normally.
Crush: Follows the path of Randall the Cloud (He’s obviously much more of a threat than the opponent).
Lasers: Works normally.
Gun: Works normally.
Grab: Works normally.
Poke: Works normally.
Punch: Follows the path of Randall the Cloud.
Smash: Follows the path of Randall the Cloud.
Drill: Follows the path of Randall the Cloud.
Slap: Starts at Randall the Cloud's Position.
Sweep: Starts at Randall the Cloud's Position.
Walk: Only walks up to the position of Randall the Cloud before stopping.

PLAYSTYLE: Yoshi's Story is easily Master Hand's best Neutral Stage. You can control the distance of his moves via Randall, the stage is small and all of his moves work. If the opponent knows the match-up they will retreat to the top platform, as this is always a difficult spot for Master Hand to hit.

If they are in this position, Walk will hit them unless they dodge, and Poke/Gun can force them to change position. I find the best way to hit someone up there is with Drill (R^). The Drill will follow Randall's path, making it a moving semi-spike and damage racker with enormous range. It can catch opponents by surprise as it is not used very often and because of the Randall-following properties.

Crush (Av) can hit opponents on the side platforms, but will not be as effective there. I recommend using it with Randall for edge-guarding if needed, but most of the time Drill will do the job better. Slap will only hit when Randall is to the right of your opponent (or if your opponent runs in the way of the attack), so make sure you use it when Randall is as close to your opponent as possible, but not on their left side. Slap will also not hit opponent's on the top platform.

A good way to judge Randall's position if you can't see him is by using Walk and seeing how far it goes, or following this guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1591173#post1591173.

After KOing the opponent, I find Poke (if below 150%) or Gun (above 150%) are good ways to wait for the opponent's spawn invincibility to go away. Use them just before the opponent appears and you should avoid some damage.

The Shy-Guys can get in the way of projectiles, but this isn't really that much of a help as they cannot be controlled or moved in any way.

Drill is the key to this match-up, but don't overuse it or your opponent will punish your predictability.

Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Playstyle: To be Added.
Crush: Always lands in between middle and left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Punch: Always lands in between middle and left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Smash: Always lands in between middle and left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Drill: Always lands in between middle and left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Slap: Always moves to space in between middle and left platform to perform the attack.
Sweep: Always moves to space in between middle and left platform to perform the attack.
Walk: Works normally.

Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
Crush: Always lands on left platform, no matter where opponent is (even during Stage Transformations).
Punch: Always lands on left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Smash: Always lands on left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Drill: Always lands on left platform, no matter where opponent is.
Slap: Always moves to left platform to perform the attack.
Sweep: Always moves to left platform to perform the attack.
Walk:

Special Stages: Battlefield
Jet: To be Added.
Ram: To be Added.
Crush: To be Added.
Lasers: To be Added.
Gun: To be Added.
Grab: To be Added.
Poke: To be Added.
Punch: To be Added.
Smash: To be Added.
Drill: To be Added.
Slap: To be Added.
Sweep: To be Added.
Walk: To be Added.

Past Stages: Dream Land (N64)

Special Stages: Final Destination
Jet: Works Normally.
Ram: Works Normally.
Crush: Works Normally.
Lasers: Works Normally.
Gun: Works Normally.
Grab: Works Normally.
Poke: Works Normally.
Punch: Works Normally.
Smash: Works Normally.
Drill: Works Normally.
Slap: Works Normally.
Sweep: Works Normally.
Walk: Works Normally.

Counter-pick Stages
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Crush: Always lands to the left of the top platform, no matter where the opponent is.
Punch: Always lands to the left of the top platform, no matter where the opponent is.
Smash: Always lands to the left of the top platform, no matter where the opponent is.
Drill: Always lands to the left of the top platform, no matter where the opponent is.
Slap: Starts left of the top platform.
Sweep: Starts left of the top platform.

DK Island: Jungle Japes
Crush: Works normally.
Punch: Works normally.
Smash: Works normally.
Drill: Works normally.
Slap: Works normally.
Sweep: Works normally.

Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Crush: Targets Lickitung’s Tongue (Weird, I know) instead of the opponent. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Punch: Targets Lickitung’s Tongue instead of the opponent. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Smash: Targets Lickitung’s Tongue instead of the opponent. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Drill: Targets Lickitung’s Tongue instead of the opponent. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Slap: Starts at Lickitung’s Tongue. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Sweep: Starts at Lickitung’s Tongue. Even when Lickitung’s tongue is off-screen.
Walk: Walks towards Lickitung’s Tongue.

Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Crush: Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Punch: Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Smash: Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Drill:Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Slap: Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Sweep: Targets the bottom platform on the far left of the stage.
Walk: Walks towards the bottom-left platform.

Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Island

xi - Match-ups
Fox - To be Added.
Marth - To be Added.
Sheik - To be Added.
Falco - To be Added.
Peach - To be Added.
Captain Falcon - To be Added.
Jigglypuff - To be Added.
Ice Climbers - To be Added.
Samus - To be Added.
Dr. Mario - To be Added.
Ganondorf - To be Added.
Luigi - To be Added.
Donkey Kong - To be Added.
Mario - To be Added.
Link - To be Added.
Pikachu - To be Added.
Young Link - To be Added.
Roy - To be Added.
Zelda - To be Added.
Mr. Game and Watch - To be Added.
Ness - To be Added.
Yoshi - To be Added.
Bowser - To be Added.
Mewtwo - To be Added.
Kirby - To be Added.
Pichu - To be Added.

xii - Miscellaneous Info
Attack Buffering – If you want to perform attacks as fast as possible, hold the buttons for your next attack while performing your current attack. As soon as your current attack is finished as long as you continued to hold down the buttons the next attack will be performed as fast as possible.

Button Priority – Master Hand’s button priority is L > R > A > B > Z. This means that if you hold down the L button and the R button at the same time, then perform an attack, it will perform the attack of the button with higher priority, in this case L.

Laser Glitch - The Master Hand Laser Glitch can only be executed when the player is controlling Master Hand. To execute the glitch, first a Super or Poison Mushroom must touch Master Hand. He will grow or shrink, respectively. Next, you must use B^ (Lasers) as he is returning to his normal size. The laser beams will remain on his fingertips, even once the attack is over. They can still do damage, but there will be no sound effects. This glitch will not impede Master Hand's ability to use other attacks

An alternate way to execute it is in Training mode. He must use B^ (Laser). Go to the training mode, and reset. The laser beams will be infinite. He will be facing the wrong way and only some of his moves make him attack you. Others go in the opposite direction.

You can use B^ again while the glitch is executed. If you execute the move a second time, it still uses the lasers after the attack is done. There is a chance that the game will freeze if performed. If Master Hand touches another Super Mushroom or Poison Mushroom after the glitch is executed, the game will freeze.

Team Attacks - If you are playing Event 50 as Master Hand (or if another player is using a cheating device to play as Crazy Hand), you are able to perform some 'Team Attacks' in conjunction with Crazy Hand. The moves they can perform are as follows:

APPLAUD:
MH Input - Y<
CH Input - Y>
Description: A shockwave is released that puts the player to sleep, then the two hands clap together five times.

DOUBLE PUNCH:
MH Input - Y ^
CH Input - Y^
Description: The two hands punch their fists together.

CATCH:
MH Input - Y^
CH Input - Yv
Description: Crazy Hand punches across the stage and is caught by Master Hand. A shock wave that deals shadow damage is released at impact.

Note that while you can perform the attacks with Crazy Hand, he will still treat you as an enemy and try to attack you.

Alternate Colours - Master Hand has no alternate colours, no matter what team he is on.

Rankings - Master Hand is never placed in your rankings (things like Most Damage Taken, Most Coins Collected, etc...).

Name Tag - Master Hand can be given a name-tag. Simply select the name in the Character Select Screen, then perform the glitch.

Pausing Intro Animation - Pausing the game while he is performing his intro animation will return the camera view to normal.

Stage Effects - Master Hand is pushed back by the wind on Dreamland and Green Greens (although he teleports back to his original position), keeps up with moving stages, is turned 2D by Flatzone and has his name (written "Masterhand") on the screen in Pokemon Stadium.

xiii - What Works?
Classic Mode
Does it work?: Freezes after the glitch is executed. (Sometimes goes to the vs. screen before freezing the game, however, the game will not show Master Hand or the computer player's contestant picture.)

Notes: Can't load. Master Hand doesn't have a contestant picture for when it shows who you are challenging.

Adventure Mode
Does it work?: Master Hand will fly into the Mushroom Kingdom, then the game will freeze.

Notes: You can get Master Hand in but he has to have something to attack and Goombas and Paratroopas don't count because Master Hand isn't programmed to attack them. You spawn inside the mountain area on the left hand side.

All Star Mode
Does it work?: It lets you play through the first level, but Master Hand can't go anywhere in the Rest Area. The game freezes if he attacks.

Notes: When Master Hand attacks, he has nothing to aim or attack at. When attacking, Master Hand must have some sort of enemy to attack at. Otherwise the game will freeze.

Event Match
Does it work?: Works on any event that you can choose your character. It will even save.

Notes: Sometimes freezes in the middle of the event for no apparent reason.

Home-run Contest
Does it work?: Works. (See Notes).

Notes: You can get Master Hand in, but there is no way to get any distance (he spawns to the right of the Sandbag and none of his attacks can hit the Sandbag to the right).

Target Test
Does it work?: Master Hand's laugh is heard, then it freezes.

Notes: Can't load. Master Hand doesn't have a target test.

Multi-Man Melee
Does it work?: Works.

Notes: Note that on Cruel and Endless Melee, you can't save, because Master Hand can't be KOd (leaving quitting as the only method of ending it). Also, his high scores go to Mario.

Training Mode
Does it work?: Works.

Note: All max combos go to Mario. If you reset while playing Master Hand will respawn facing the opposite direction. While he is facing the wrong way most of his attacks are performed backwards and miss the opponent. This can be used to trigger the Master Hand Laser Glitch (see Miscellaneous Information below).

Melee
What works?: Time or Stock. Freezes when the match is over (except by quitting mid-game). No player can be Zelda because if the match is reset, the results screen will have Master Hand represented by Sheik, and there can't be two Zeldas. Teams work. Sudden Death also works when scores are even.

Notes: The game freezes after the match because it can't show Master hand as the winner or save him in the records. The reason other stuff freezes the game is unknown.

Special Melee
What works?: The game freezes when the match is over (apart from quitting mid-game). No player can be Zelda. Teams work.

Notes: Same as above. Also no more then 2 players during stamina. He will turn invisible in Invisible Melee, Single Button, Lighting and Slo-Mo Melee do not affect him. His size will change accordingly in Giant and Tiny Melee. In Fixed Camera mode, the Camera becomes un-fixed for some reason. Super Sudden Death works normally.

Camera and Stamina
What works?: Both work perfectly except for the fact that no player can be Zelda.

Notes: In Camera Mode, you can take pictures of Master Hand and they save. Stamina Mode allows for matches with Master Hand where he can be KOd (he cannot be KOd in normal matches as he does not experience knockback). If Master Hand is defeated in Stamina Mode, he will scream and fly off the stage like in Classic Mode. However the match will end before he makes it all the way off the stage as the announcer will shout GAME! (even if other players are still alive).

NOTES: If you quit during the middle of a game, the game reads you as "Sheik". More than one player can play as Master Hand, but only Player 3 will be able to control him. Master Hand can be assigned to computers as well as humans. Computers will play as him normally. Though there is always a chance that the game will freeze, the chance seems to increase when a person other than player three picks the stage.

xiv - Frame Data

All Data taken on Final Destination.

MOVEMENT
wait 1 (Floating): Lasts 480 Frames
wait 2 (Fist Clench): Lasts 120 Frames
Returning to Spawn Position: 26 Frames
NOTE: Master Hand must have 67 of his pseudo "wait1" animation frames until he can execute another attack.

JET (A^):
Start-up Frames (No Hit-box): 1-49
First Hit (Spike Hit-box on Wrist): 50-99
Second Hit (Hit-box on whole body) : 100-119
Leaves Stage (Hit-box on whole body): 120
Off-Stage (Still has whole body hit-box, but can't hit with it): 120-214
Return to Stage Hit (Whole body hit-box): 215-218 (Possibly 219?)
Leaves Stage (Still has hit-box): 220
Off-Stage (Still has hit-box): 221-238
End Frames, Returns to Stage (No Hit-box): 239-375

A>
Startup = 1 - 49 first hitbox (in background) = 50 - 105 hitbox on stage = 106 - 107 on stage no hitbox = 108 - 111 off stage no hitbox = 112 - 156 on stage no hitbox = 157- 230 ends animation and starts returning to normal spot no hitbox = 231 - 255

Av
Startup = 1 - 49 second animation = (flying in background) 50 - 91 on stage no hitbox = 92 - 97 on stage hitbox1 (2 [left and right of 1] and 3[left of left2, right of right2] happen during 1) = 98 - (hitbox2 = 103 - (*109*)[hitbox3 108 - 110]) 110 ending animation - 111 - 172

B^
Startup = 1 - 172 first hitbox - 173 - 400 ending animation 401 - 513

B> (Below 150%)
Startup = 1 - 133 first hitbox 134 - until they leave the stage(If you don't move, they take 5 frames to reach you) ending animation 134 - 210 (55 frames to change to moving animation)

B> (Above 150%)
Startup 1 - 133 first hitbox 134 second hitbox = 162 third hitbox - 190 - 240

Z^/> (with missed grab)
Startup = 1 - 100 (until he starts moving toward opponent) moving = 101 - 115 grabbox is out = 116 - 132 ending animation = 133 - 195

Z^ (with connecting grab)
(note:each pummel does 6 frames of lag, these frames are without hitlag) - Startup = 1 - 100 (until he starts moving toward opponent) moving = 101 - 115 grab box is out 116 - 126 connects with stationary opponent and begins "pummel" = 127 - (164 crush) (214 crush) (284 crush) 361 throwing opponent back = 362 - 434

Z>
Startup = 1 - 100 moving = 101 - 115 grabbox is out 116 - 126 connects with opponent stationary opponent and begins to pummel = 127 - (164 crush) (214 crush) (284 crush) 360 throwing opponent down = 361 - 419

R<
(the startup can vary on this attack, randomly from 116 - 166) - Startup = 1 - 145 first poke = 146 - 153 second poke = 164 - 171 third poke = 222 - 229 ending animation = 230 - 275

R>
Startup = 1 - 210 first hitbox = 211 - 214 ending animation = 215 - 362

Rv
Startup = 1 - 175 first hitbox 176 - 177 ending animation 178 - 334

R^
(each frame listed it a hitbox) Startup = 1 - 94 first hitbox 95 - (starts lifting off at 128) 158 start drilling = (159 - 167) (170-171) (174) (177) (180 ) (183) (186) (189) (192) (195) (198) (201) (204) (207) (210) (213) (216) (219) (222) (225) (228) (231) (234) (237)( 240-249(palm, not fingers) ending animation = 250 - 339

L>
Startup = 1 - 87 first hitbox = 88 - 114 ending animation = 115 - 126L^ - Startup = 1 - (starts moving at 67) 95 first hitbox = 96 - 102 second hitbox = 125 - 132 third hitbox = 164 - 170 ending animation = 171 - 213

Lv
Startup = 1 - 125 first hitbox (wrist, palm, fingertip) = 126 - (137-150 second finger) (163-181 second finger) (192-203second finger) 203 kick hit 214 - 219

xv - Bibliography and Conclusion
This guide is quite obviously a work in progress. If you spot any factual, spelling, grammatical, etc... errors then please tell me via a post in this thread or PM. While I will continue work on this, I would be very grateful if anyone else could help out at all. I am also looking for suggestions on how to make the thread more appealing and less likely to induce tl;dr syndrome. Please do not ask me wether you can copy this information or not. The answer is no. If you would like to share this information please just link to the original thread.

Things to add:
• Frame Data
-Better Layout on Frame Data.
• Videos
- Video Version of this Guide.
- Matches
- "Combo" Video ("Combo" use loosely, as Master Hand cannot properly combo).
• Pictures
- Master Hand Thumbs Up
- Master Hand Thumbs Down
- Master Hand Attacking
- Master Hand vs. Mario
• Match-Ups
• Stage Specific Playstyles
• Some Stage Attack Descriptions
More In-Depth 'What Works?' Section. (Information will probably be acquired from here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277617)
• Rulings
Master Hand Laser Glitch
• List of Master Hand users/Contributors to this thread.
• More Visually Appealing Layout

Sources:
Original Master Hand Thread - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237291
Insane Carzy Guy - Original Draft (The basic version of this whole guide).
Smash Wiki - 'What Works?', Moveset, Laser Glitch and other general information.
Dragoon Fighter's Master Hand: How to Play and Use Guide - More detailed 'What Works?' section and other general information.
Mr. Anon (Smash Wiki) - Helping with which attacks work on what Stages.
MooseEatsBear - Frame Data, Pictures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
master hand=puff counter.
i'll read it later i'm sorry I have to get readly for POE3 today.

really I don't think there are many tournments that use peach's castle really there are to many problems with that stage.

but to everyone out there stages are HUGE for master hand you have to know them you can't spend half the match figureing it out.

crazy hand would be funner to play as his moves are cooler. hahahaha if we figure out how to use crazy hand I bet the tier list would be insane people yelling about how master hand has more better attacks but crazy hand maxs out some of the attacks more like the poke freezes them.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
master hand=puff counter.
i'll read it later i'm sorry I have to get readly for POE3 today.

really I don't think there are many tournments that use peach's castle really there are to many problems with that stage.

but to everyone out there stages are HUGE for master hand you have to know them you can't spend half the match figureing it out.
Read at your leisure, It'll probably take a while :p

I know there aren't many tourney's that use Peach's Castle, but I thought "Well... Just in case..."

I know how important stages are, I really need to get them all down. School holidays are approaching so that'll be a good time for me to do that. I really just wanted to get all the information I had posted, finished or otherwise.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I wonder if anyone has a few vids of MH matches. Even if they are half serious.

EDIT: Good topic. MH actually seems interesting when you know what moves to use and what to avoid like hell.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Here in Ottawa, we explicitly ban Master Hand (because the host's little bro is good at executing the glitch).

I showed them this thread, btw. Awaiting input.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't get it either.

Oh, for tourney rules with Master Hand, should it be forced Stamina Mode so that each match doesn't take 8 minutes?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah if puff planks she will get hit by his slap and get meteor smashed down and lose. if she avoid this every time shoot her if she's done enough damage she may have problems on the edge.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I wonder if anyone has a few vids of MH matches. Even if they are half serious.

EDIT: Good topic. MH actually seems interesting when you know what moves to use and what to avoid like hell.
I'm hoping to get some vids done soon. Namely, a video version of this guide, a "combo" video of sorts, and a few matches.

Here in Ottawa, we explicitly ban Master Hand (because the host's little bro is good at executing the glitch).

I showed them this thread, btw. Awaiting input.
Thanks! Strange reasoning for banning MH....

Yeah I don't get it either.

Oh, for tourney rules with Master Hand, should it be forced Stamina Mode so that each match doesn't take 8 minutes?
Alternately, just get Master Hand to 500% without dying?
The thing is guys, most tournaments you go to won't be specifically tailored to Master Hand.
For example, say you went to Pound 4 with Master Hand, you would have to use him in the typical way with stocks and time. If a TO wants to enforce those rules then that is his decision, but I wouldn't be expecting it.

Oh, and the match won't always go to time. Once you have taken away one stock you have already won so...

beasttttttttt
Thank...you?

once I get back from POE3 and have some time on my HANDS anything I can help you with?
Anything on the to-do list really. Take your pick.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Wow! this is far better than my FAQ this deserves a sticky... uhh the MODS are in charge of that right (I am still kind of new here) So do I ask them nicely to Sticky Grimtusday's FAQ or what do I do?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Wow! this is far better than my FAQ this deserves a sticky... uhh the MODS are in charge of that right (I am still kind of new here) So do I ask them nicely to Sticky Grimtusday's FAQ or what do I do?
Hmm... Not sure about the stickying thing. I've never been involved in that kinda stuff before. Pretty sure you could just PM and request if you think it deserves it.

Also, I borrowed some information from your guide, and you inspired me to post this so... Thanks XD.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I find it hard to believe master hand isn't banned from tourney's. I've never seen/heard of anyone using the hand at a tourney. Interesting idea.

Signia

Smash Lord
Master Hand is explicitly banned in most of the local tournaments around here. Do you realize how broken he'd be in teams? Ultimate stock tank. Ultimate support.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Master Hand is explicitly banned in most of the local tournaments around here. Do you realize how broken he'd be in teams? Ultimate stock tank. Ultimate support.
The tournaments around you area are a minority, so I guess the rest of the world feels differently.

I completely forgot about his stock-tanking ability in teams, I'll add that to the OP.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
That's kinda silly. I could play a game where I'm Fox and I just laz0r someone until they're 999%.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
1stock ~ 200%
4 stocks ~ 800%
get mh to ~800% w/o dying, go ahead and reset game, you just won
Unfortunately, we aren't the backroom.
If you want to host a tournament with those rules, feel free, but this thread is more for discussion about his gameplay according to the SBR Recommended Ruleset. So, if you take Master Hand to most ordinary tournaments, the rules will be as follows:
If Master Hand gets a KO he wins.
If Master Hand has taken more damage than the opponent when the time limit is up, the opponent wins.
If Master Hand has taken less damage than the opponent when the time limit is up, he wins.

That's kinda silly. I could play a game where I'm Fox and I just laz0r someone until they're 999%.
This is true.

Master Hand gets stronger and faster at 100%, though.

WATCH THE POWER OF AURA :V
Faster too? I knew about him getting stronger but I didn't realise he got faster as well. That's pretty sick if it's true.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Yes, I guess that would make up for some of his other glaring disadvantages making him more balenced. Thank you for the Idea!

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Insane Crazy Guy is right, it is around 150% I have tested it my self, now if it is exacly 150% will Master Hand fire three? I do not know sence my Master Hand during the test was at 151% When I started to fire three round burst, but I never tested it at the exact number.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Ummm... do we really need an explicit ban? How bout the "if you actually pick him, everyone else in the tournament will beat the crap out of you", type of ban?

It's a character that can only lose by time out. That means that even if you play against him perfectly, you're stuck in the match for 8 minutes, no matter what. It's a character that completely circumvents the many gameplay mechanics, the very definition of broken (even if he's not particularly good). And of course, if you're ever up one life you win. Plus, the game freezes half of the time when you play as him, and the trick itself may take a while to work properly. If this glitch is seriously not bannable... lol.

Thanks for the moveset list though. I was having fun messing around with him, but I couldn't figure out how to do some of the moves. I didn't think to press R or L to attack.

Top Bottom