• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOA0QrnQ_tY

I copy pasta'd this link when it was still processing, but when I checked on it, it still played... so hopefully it will work for you guys even after it's finished processing.

General info: This isn't my best gameplay. This is Wifi, and this is a friendly. The opponent I was facing isn't a "noob" by the way, although it may seem like it from this match... he just did bad I guess XD.

Please comment/critique, any and all comments are accepted, regardless of how negative it is. Don't want flaming though, of course XD. I know that you can't tell how good a player is from one video, so don't worry if you critique it as my average or best gameplay.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Sorry about the quality. I don't have anything to record matches, so the only way I can do that is to save a replay and then video tape the replay.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Dibs on critique.

Haven't done one in a while, I'll do this in a couple minutes.

Prolly just match one, my attention span is very short.

K, my critiques aren't very good, but hopefully I can help you a bit.

0:28: You hit him to the edge of the stage, but instead of rushing forward and getting some extra damage, you hold back. What you did was probably a bit safer, but you sacrificed a bit of damage. You had the momentum, you should've tried to continue it.

0:33: Again you do not rush forward, just letting him get back onto the stage, and you ran backwards and just gave him a free pass back to the stage.

0:38: You go for a Bair here, another Uair or a Nair would be a better decision here.

0:43: I dunno why you Dair'ed he, it's just going to get you punished.

0:48: Reverse Up-B out of shield could have worked here, but just shielding it isn't necessarily bad.

0:53: Nice read, Nair here was good.

0:57: You just kinda let the platform take you away instead of going for another Uair or another aerial which coulc've killed at the percent he was at.

1:00: A shield grab or pivot grab might've been more effective here.

1:03: It you could've punished better with an Up-B out of shield here.

1:04: Uair is unnecessary.

1:08: You get him offstage pretty well, but again you let him get back to the stage unimpeded.

1:09: After the first Dtilt missed, the other 2 were pretty pointless.

1:12: Up-B out of shield!!!

1:14: You DB his shield instead of grabbing him, grab is your friend!

1:21: You dropped down to the full range of Up-B, which isn't smart because if someone edgehogs you, there's no way you can get back to the stage, whereas if you give yourself more room, and someone tries to edgehog, you can still go "through" them and make it back up.

1:25: You're attacking him too late, like you'll try to hit him after he's left the place you're attacking.

1:28: A Fair would've been more effective than this Nair which gets you punished.

1:36: A perfect chance for a grab, which you didn't capitalize on.

1:42: You Pivot Fsmash his shield, Pivot Grab would have been way better. NEEDZ MOAR GRABZ!!

1:47: Nice kill, although Up-B out of shield would have been safer.

1:51: I dunno why you would go to the ledge here, Marth is crap on the ledge.

2:11: You don't want to just regularly get up off the ledge with Marth, you probably should've ledgecamped a tiny bit to try to get Espy to back off.

2:43: Grab would've been way better.

2:50: Again you drop down to the full length of Up-B, I dunno why, this is BAD!

2:52: Espy failed to capitalize, but he could've easily edgehogged you if he'd wanted to after you dropped off the ledge.

2:55: Unnecessary roll, a Fair or Uair would've been better.

2:57: Spotdodge was kinda bad here, just shielding and then Up-B'ing when he hit your shield would've worked well.

3:06: Again you drop to the full Up-B length.

3:08: BAD Fsmash attempt, you're lucky you weren't punished.

3:10: Espy is charging an Fsmash right in front of you, it would've been SO easy for you to just rush in with a DB or Nair and punish that, but instead you spot dodge and let him get away with it.

3:17: You fail to follow him up into the air, and Marth excels at juggle traps.

3:24: UP-B OUT OF SHIELD!!! OR GRAB!!!

3:29: You finally grab, but don't follow him up again.

3:32: Grab here.

3:39: You got that nice Nair, and the platform was right there, inviting you to jump up there and kill Espy. You should've pursued him and killed him off.

3:43: Again you don't follow him after a Nair. Tipper Fair would kill from that side at that percent.

3:46: Up-B out of shield would kill there.

3:49: You let him come down with a Dair, even an Fsmash could've punished that.

3:55: He hits your shield with an Fsmash, you could have either shieldgrabbed him, or Up-B out of shield.

4:07: You don't even attempt to impede his falling back to the stage, Uair or Utilt would've killed.

4:10: You could've gotten away with a few more pummels here, which might have been the difference between him living or dying there.

4:12: Again you let him fall safely back to the stage.

4:15: Unnecessary Ftilt gets you punished.

4:26: That airdodge was unnecessary, and then he edghogged you because you tried to recover too low.

4:33: Could've shieldgrabbed and Upthrew and killed him.

4:37: Unnecessay Utilts are unnecessary.

4:42: Shieldgrab or Up-B outta shield here.

4:46: You FINALLY kill him, should've came WAY earlier.

5:04: Ftilt shouldn't be used at that range, and you got punished for it.

5:07: Again you drop to the farthest length of Up-B, please explain what you're trying to accomplish with this.

5:11: You let him get back to the stage too easily AGAIN.

5:15: Uair would've been better than that Fsmash.

5:25: This Bair should be replaced with a Uair or Nair.

5:29: You let him charge his Fsmash again, DB or something here.

5:38: You messed up here and SD'ed, which was unfortunate.

OVERALL:

More grabs.

MORE UP-B OUTTA SHIELD!

You didn't use Dtilt during the middle of the match at all, and you barely used DB after the first ~1:30.

Don't let your opponent get up from the ledge so easily!

You're pretty good, just work on eliminating the bad habits I stated above.

Kneeslash

Smash Cadet
Spacing is good. Try not to run at your opponent so much, it limits what you can do when you approach. When recovering, use DS a little closer to the edge so you are not wide open for attacks. Work on double fairs, great for keeping up a good defense but notice how Ryoko would retreat after his first fair to coax you.

Nice tipper in the third match! Personally I don't use the shieldbreaker that much, maybe once in a while for spacing. When juggling an opponent try and throw out some empty jumps to confuse them MINDGAMES!

All in all you have good spacing, use more dtilt, and walk don't run when you approach(not that you did it all the time).

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Pretty good Marth.

Lol all that Up Bing in the first video was interesting (it was near the end).

Side note: did you guys edit Marth's sword so it is red? And btw I like the grey Marth, pretty nice texture mod :)

Yeah spacing (you probably already know that, as anyone can always improve on this XD). A few times you did Fairs/Nairs and you sort of just DIed into him while the attack was going on, and you got punished for this most of the time (sometimes you went over/thru him) with a DB or such. If you're trying to mix it up and go over him, I guess that's fine, but it seems like the other Marth could tell you were going to go thru/over him.
Sometimes you tried to follow up a Fair with another Fair. You need to remember that since this is a Marth ditto, and because Brawl has such low hit stun, that if you can follow up with a Fair after a Fair, that means that the other play can also recover and Fair you just as quick, or quicker (since the hitstun on him would end by the time you start your Fair). So may be anticipate that he'll hit you back (since he always did and didn't mix it up), and dodge then punish or counter, etc. Or just DI backwards after your first Fair.

One more tip: Each time you ran towards him or jumped towards him, you always tried to attack him. This can get very predictable. Try to mix it up with walking/running backwards, and doing openly fastfalled shorthops towards him or away. If he thinks that you're going to hit him, he may dodge, and since you didn't attack at all, you can punish him. Especially on BF and a Marth vs Marth, and especially he is above you (since Marth's Dair is so punishable and Fair can't hit below him at all), you do not need to be afraid of him hitting you if you do a open FF'd SH towards him, since the platform is blocking and you can see him coming if he drops and fairs or such. Using this technique can really confuse your opponent :).

Note: i only watched the first video so far.

Rog~er

Smash Apprentice

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Ok I'll just talk about a few things I saw in the first video:

0:30 For the few times you tried to get onto the stage around this spot, they were all jumps (some with airdodges) that made it really easy for him to predict. If you're going to jump, then at least jump with a Nair, and DI the Nair according to the situation and how the Ike reacts.
0:55 Don't throw out a random fsmash, as it can be punished. Instead, try a dtilt or such.
1:02 Try a dtilt, not a jab. Faster, and better against shielding opponents.
1:30 If you see an ike doing an upsmash, and you're behind him, this means you will be able to see his sword swing and have enough time to react. You could have Countered or stalled in the air to screw him up by doing a side B or such. If you're going to AirDodge, remember to be patient and wait for the sword to swing.
1:50 Again don't use fsmash in such a hurried way
2:00 Same

Whenever he jabbed you with 3 hits, or jabbed you once then grabbed, or any combination or combo related to this, try a Dolphin Slash if you haven't practiced DI'ing out of them.
Just like the post I posted above, mix it up a bit more. When you're running at him, don't always throw out an attack, you need to mix it up with some open Short Hops and such, walk backwards when he thinks you're going to attack him, and sometimes run backwards, that way he can't guess where you will be as easily, or what you will do. I saw you did do some open SHs in there, but try to get some more in :).

Ok the obvious: spacing.

Eh its fine without sound lol.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Haven't watched too much yet. Btw sweet texture mod for Marth :D

Yeah you're doing pretty good :) Nice spacing and stuff. I don't see any huge mistake that you're making, which is really common when you pick up a new secondary.
Will watch more later :).

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I really want to second Marth to cover bad match ups. I need to see how my progress is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCEm-CJkDs&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waM1H5lhJY&fmt=18

Thank you :)
It might just be me but i think you overused fsmash a bit. Sometimes its better to just go for a fair or maybe a grab if your opponent messes up so you can keep this as a viable kill move (plus, the less you use fsmash the less often you will be left open). I also noticed that you used dair while falling and your opponent is below you...BAD. Dair has too much lag and u will likely eat a smash for using it. As for dancing blade, learn the timing for it. It seems like you are simply mashing the B button hoping for all 4 slashes to come out. If you are stopping it on purpose then you REALLY shouldnt do that because any slash after the first one has lots of cooldown time where someone can just smash or grab you.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah, Dair is a really bad idea, especially if it's FF'd (which means tons of lag). If you really need to hit your opponent below you, then either DI to the side of the opponent and Fair or FF into Nair (first choice is better).
If you are stopping it on purpose then you REALLY shouldnt do that because any slash after the first one has lots of cooldown time where someone can just smash or grab you.
Back in the day I kept stopping cus I jammed the B button really fast, but I got the timing now... lol. However, it actually is a pretty useful thing, because when the opponent gets hit by DB, they'll suddenly start jamming the control stick to DI and they'll also jam the R button to air dodge... So, many times I've kept stopping ( I restart DB like 2 times, meaning I do DB 3 times ), and then I restart to punish the airdodge they've never fixed it throughout the match XD. Not worth the risk though, but just something that's nice to know... XD.

But actually if they do airdodge, then a tipper Fsmash would actually be a much better punishing move ( of course it would take practice to tipper it often ).

Wizard Of Seraphym

Smash Cadet
yeah, I learned about Dair... still dont have DB down correctly though O:

Ill have to keep that in mind since my main rival does the same thing XD, though i did learn to use DB1 as a disrupting jab to start combos.

but right, F-smash, ill keep that in mind

That video is about a month old so this weekend imma try to get some videos for our crew battles since I think I got a little better since then.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@OniTheWolf

Ok so far I've only watched the first one. Here's some mistakes you made or things you should improve on:

Ok most of the time whenever you approached MK, you always seemed to try to attack him. The problem with this, is that it lets the MK predict you. You can't always run STRAIGHT to MK. I saw a couple times later where you mixed it up, which was good. Try to remember to mix it up more though :). Also, whenever you approached MK, you didn't space very well. A lot of the times you jumped right into him ( and in these situations he hit you with either a fair or nair usually ).

Also, you used a bit too much fsmash. Some points in the match were very bad to use a fsmash and could have and shuold have been replaced with a dtilt or even a ftilt. Fsmash has too much lag, and especially when fighting MK, he can dash right at you and punish you really hard.

Dair. You FF'd all of them, resulting in a ton of landing lag. This is very bad. The only times you should use Dair ( excluding very sitautional situations ), is if you do a full hop out of a shield and Dair, and DI away from the opponent, to get away from them if they were shield pressuring you. The other time you should use Dair is with spiking, which is obvious. Later in the match, you tried to Dair MK while he was Up Bing. Don't do that. Fair would be better, or ftilt or dtilt, or even fsmash. I mean, you can't just short hop off and expect them to Up B right into your Dair. They could have waited for you to Dair, then Up B to punish you.

At the end of the video, when MK was gliding toward the stage with his Up B (which was a very bad mistake for him, since he should have flew under the stage), this was a good time to use fsmash, instead of fair or the other attacks you used. Although he could have dodged a fsmash by flying higher, he wouldn't be able to reach any of the platforms, and he would not have enough momentum to keep on flying higher. So, he will eventually fall to the floor, with lag, and then you can finish him off if he dodged your first fsmash.

A few times MK was shield pressuring you. A Dolphin Slash OOS would have been a good idea :).

A few times throughout the video you ran at MK and tried to grab him, like 4 times. If you miss the first one, then you should abandon the idea of grabbing him again. A good player would easily learn from then on that his opponent is trying to grab him, and he will adapt and jump into the air whenever you ran towards him, or hit you if you ran towards him.

Marth is not very good at all for close combat ( and I'm talking about really close, not just melee ). Instead of trying to grab MK when he was close by, you should instead try to get out of there. An example is to full hop away, with a fair ready to go if he pursues.

When you use Dancing Blade, in almost every situation, if you miss the first two hits, then you should immediately stop, not go on.

At 2:50, when MK landed on the platform: don't be afraid. You stood there. However, a better idea would probably have been to short hop and uair, or nair, or such. Reason is, that there is a platform blocking him from glide attacking you. There was no way he could have attacked you from there, and you wasted a bit of your shield unfortunately.

at about 2:42 : You sort of wasted your double jump there, right before you FF'd and did a Nair. One jump would have been enough. If he Up B'd you or knocked you off, then you would only have your Up B to recover with, and knowing that MK is extremely good at edgegaurding and that his Up B has great knockback, you most likely would not be able to make it back.

Ok well yeah, these are most of the mistakes/things you should improve on, that I can think of for now. If you were expecting any comments on anything you did right, you should know that for yourself :). And it's a critique anyway XD. But if you really don't know what is right or ok to do, then basically anything besieds the above I mentioned were fine.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Here are some recent vids of my Marth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5_PsP_7Lw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-ZC66QAhY

Don't mind the glitchy parts in the first vid. Let me know what I can do to improve.
I watched the first and most of the second, just some general notes:

-Your spacing in general is solid, but I definitely felt like you could have been much safer at times.
-Ledgehop dairs are a bad idea against Ike in general, go for the repeated counters instead
-Take advantage of Marth's awesome OoS game, you kept fairing OoS which is OK but use DB generally and DS to kill
-Dash grab less and use Shield Canceled grabs instead
-Don't pivot grab so much because you take out some of the surprise

good marthl, though :) keep it up

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hi there, this is my first post here and I actually didn't know where to post my Marth's vids, so randomly I chose this topic (hope I did right).

I'm from Brazil and well... I hope I'm doing any good. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6zZkViPLPw&feature=channel_page (the first match is boring, just watch the second match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epe0R-skwHQ&feature=channel_page
Wow, you are by far the most intelligent noob to ever make a first post on the marth boards. Good job.

I wanna start off by saying i only watched the first half of the first video (2:05 lolpwnt). So my critique will be based off of my analysis of that part. For the most part you seem to be familiar with the basics and you punished snake for being bad at blocking dancing blade lol. Consider using the up version of dancing blade instead and try to juggle snake since hes weaker when airborne. Another thing you want to avoid doing is Dolphin slash. It leaves you way open when shielded and u were using it a lot. Save it for KOs or as a way out of a multihit move.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
most intelligent noob ?? by far do you honestly consider yourself not a noob :o

i call you scrub you are now a scrub until you show me a vid of you not scrubbing it up

C.J.

Smash Master
Hi there, this is my first post here and I actually didn't know where to post my Marth's vids, so randomly I chose this topic (hope I did right).

I'm from Brazil and well... I hope I'm doing any good. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6zZkViPLPw&feature=channel_page (the first match is boring, just watch the second match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epe0R-skwHQ&feature=channel_page
As Backlash said, you use DB4G far to often. If it misses you are vulnerable for quite awhile longer than the other two versions. Also, the DS. Just too much of it. It's a good move, and one of the best dragon punches (arguably the best when just considering it OoS) in the game, but is not safe at all. It puts you in a terrible position afterwards.

You have most of the basics down (other than weaving. You don't have to go forward everytime you fair.) but there are 3 moves I hardly ever saw that you need to be using a lot more of and one other that you need some more of, but not as much as the other 3.. 1) Nair, it is so good. It ***** air dodges and fresh the second hit tippered is one of Marth's best kill moves. 2) Dtilt. It's one of your main spacing tools along with fair and outranges everything snake has except for the 2nd hit of his ftilt iirc. 3) Jab. While I don't find it as useful in the snake match-up, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it is an excellent move and somewhat safe/true combos into stuff if tippered starting around 68%. 4) Shield Breaker. It has great range and is pretty much safe on shield if you tipper it. Also, increased use of it makes opponents wary of shielding increasing your percentage of successful attacks.

Also, you have throws other than fthrow. Uthrow is great for setting up juggle traps, and with how often you were grabbing snake you could have gotten a lot more damage on him a lot quicker.

You're edgeguarding needs work. Espically against snake. Snake has TERRIBLE ledge options. Worse than yours. Each one is telegraphed and most times you should be able to reset the situation with him off the stage/on the ledge with you in an advantageous position.

You're fsmashing is very predictable and telegraphed. During the second match, I was able to call everyone of them before they happened without fail.

And to make NEO happy, pivot grab. Marth's is good... Really good.

Finally, counter. Counter is bad most of the time. It's a move that should be used sparingly (unless against a nado spam happy MK) and at most once a game.

Diew

Smash Rookie
Thanks C. J! Mostly stuff I already knew that needed improvement (I'm already using more Nair, but Dtilt is really "ignored" by me), but it's always good to keep in mind. Anyways, most of you are only watching the first match (the one I said to be boring). Watch the second one. :(

I know that the rules are not to post more than 2 or 3 vids, but I hope I'm not doing any bad by posting my Youtube channel, where you can find a lot of videos of mine. So here it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/diewplz (my personal channel, mostly with *****, cause I like to make fun of my friends, lol)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Msmashleague (the channel with tournament matches)

Thanks again for the great reception!

C.J.

Smash Master
Diew, while the second vid was entertaining, it wasn't a good measure of your skill and showing what you can really do. You ***** him, yeah, but, it didn't really show your skill level and how you react when in bad situations. Everyone prefers close games, or even ones where you lose to critique over ones where you just **** the opponent.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Uhhm yeah.
Please give me some tips to get better with Marth. I'm trying to improve with him.. I don't really main him, but I'm willing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHOtQM5T8aI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Cjl_I4hB8 (this one was against a meta knight.. I got ***** pretty bad)

Sorry for the mediocre quality, I don't have a good recording device.
Im glad u posted the video where u got ***** so i can actually tell you what u did wrong lol. Ok, i think your most important flaw is just spacing. Most of the time you were closer than u needed to be to your opponent. You jump too far out with your fairs and u dont retreat any of them. You might also want to try fast falling your fairs along with retreating ones, just mix it up. Also, you used dancing blade 0 times lol. Dancing blade is one of your best options out of your shield when u block something (the other one is dolphin slash). The last thing i noticed was that u use jab too much. Do not grab someone and release them then jab, its not that safe. Save jab for characters like kirby or jigglypuff who like to jump and hit u from the air a lot.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Hullo Marths,

Chair is back, better than before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkIjs4pq5H8

Nevermind the music, if you don't like it mute it.

I'm working on doing less fsmash, punishing gaw's dair in a better fashion, less rolling and using more DB.

Is there anything else I should work on? I figured I didn't even do too bad this time.

EDIT: My ledge game sucks, doesn't it?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Hullo Marths,

Chair is back, better than before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm_XzWaJNu0

Nevermind the music, if you don't like it mute it.

I'm working on doing less fsmash, punishing gaw's dair in a better fashion, less rolling and using more DB.

Is there anything else I should work on? I figured I didn't even do too bad this time.

EDIT: My ledge game sucks, doesn't it?

EDIT: Fixing ending :S
Ok here's my analysis:

0:24 - Whiffed Fsmash? Be careful with those, he didn't punish accordinly.

0:25 - Actually, he punished you for staying idle. Constantly move and pressure GaW, you could've avoided this Bair.

0:28 - Antoher whiffed Fsmash, and you get Dair'd, bad.

1:01 - A retreating Bair would've been great hear, possibly even the KO.That run away Nair made you lose a lot of ground, don't lose stage control.

1:30 - That was a fairly risky roll, as Marth doesn't have a long roll with many invicibility frames. But that was high risk, high reward lol

1:46 - Ahh the death curse, when you get to campy to stay alive. This is bad, as Marth excels at pressuring, and you would've had better gain. Don't camp, jsut pressure smart.

2:07 - Add retreating Bair, RARed Bairs to your game, it'll help a lot :)

2:14 to 2:29 - You let him control you way too easily, allowing him to rack a lot of damage.

3:32 - You double jumped too high, and it allowed him to read your recovery fairly easy. You get gimped, you should of tried to DB stall.

3:54 - FThrow --> Fair is a mixup, I admit I also have that habit. Try mixing it up with DB.

4:09 - Bad grab fishing, DB would've served wonders here. You eat a Dsmash.

4:43 - You should've died there, and it's once again because of your obvious and singular recovery. Mixup and practice your recovery game.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to ask people what you're doing wrong to get better.

You just need to watch ****loads and ****loads of vdeos of high level players and learn to keep track of

as much information as possible.

Then you'll realize what you're doing wrong and how to fix it.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
You don't need to ask people what you're doing wrong to get better.

You just need to watch ****loads and ****loads of vdeos of high level players and learn to keep track of

as much information as possible.

Then you'll realize what you're doing wrong and how to fix it.
Actually you're correct in the way that you don't need to post in a thread like this.

It's just that it is usually better to post videos in threads like these, because it also helps those around you, because they will also look for the mistakes, and learn themselves while in the process of critiquing. Also, newer players can read the critiques and watch the videos, which can help. And also sometime's it's easier to ask others what you're doing wrong rather than watching videos of good players.

@Sonicario:

Yeah the main issue is spacing.

Keep in mind that Marth is bad at very close combat. Whenever a situation occurs like in the beginning of the video, where you're both spotdodging and trying to hit eachother, get some more space between you and him. Marth's aerials + his good DI allow him to be good at mid range combat, while going so close to the opponent only gives the opponent the advantage since you're not abusing your character's strong points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom