• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEU

Smash Rookie
in regards to the first match, i agree with tari. Nair helps a lot against rob i think, but not in overdose if not it becomes predictable. I mean spaced Nairs basically.

Though the person you were facing was quite obviously a respectable rob and you dominated the match.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Good spirit there TRA, saying don't go easy on me :D.

Well lets see. I saw the first one, and the biggest things I've noticed are the following.

1) Be a bit more patient. When you're above your opponent, like on a platform, and you're trying to get on the ground, just keep shielding. There's no hurry for dropping down. Just shield, and wait for her to come attack you. Then you should have enough time to run. I'm not sure if you were holding shield all the time the first time it occured though, but I don't think you did.

2) A couple times a utilt would have been better than a usmash.

3) You Aerial Cancel incorrectly. You always use fair to cancel your momentum. A lot of people are mistaken about this, and do the same thing you do, which is to use Dair when being hit upwards and to use fair when being hit to the left, etc. No matter what direction you're being hit in, the point is to activate the aerial that starts up its hit frames the fastest, which would be fair.

4) At the end, you rolled into Shiek. That was most likely the worst decision to do, because it had the least options for you and the most options for Shiek. A better get-up approach would be to let go of the edge and jump and fair her, or do a fair/nair on the edge to see if you can bait shiek, or you could just use the jumping option.

You're Marth isn't too bad at all, you didn't spam many attacks you shouldn't have, and your spacing overall was pretty good.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

blukberry

Smash Cadet
Actually, were pretty equal in skill :ohwell:
When you have the time, watch the second video where I loose. The third game was close though we both SD once I believe -_- His game was just off that game. He was playing too aggro and wasnt thinking; hence all those blind attacks.
Anyways, thanks for the advice.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJXfTG8inM
only been playing competitive brawl for ~5 days, and only been maining marth for two. TY for the help in advance.
Work on your approaches. You just dashed to DB a lot which isn't good. Mix in some SH appraoches SHfair SHAD SH double fair. Less dancing blades less fsmash less rolling. You want to use dancing blades as a move punishers. Try not to land into the ****. The odds are you;re not going to air dodge past their move so it'd be better to just go for the ledge.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Alright Marshallowman :)

Welcome to the Competetive side of SSB :D Hope you enjoy it.

Ok you've only been competetive for a few days so the things I list I do not expect to be fixed easily at all. And if you do fix them easily, then wow good job.

1) When you use a certain move, and you miss, do not try it over and over. This makes it predictable. For example, you used Side B a lot (which is good, because that is one of Marth's best attacks), but if you keep repeating it over and over, they will catch on to what you're doing.
2) Work on your timing with the attacks.
3) Work on spacing. (Spacing is keeping a constant distance away from your opponent so that you can hit him but he can't hit you).
4) Try to use more short hops rather than full hops. Short hops keep you closer to the ground, and it allows you to use your aerials quicker.
5) When you're above an opponent, do not DI (directional influence, which means tilting your control stick to move your character while airborne) into the opponent and then Dair. That's way too predictable, especially how you did that most of the time you were above him. Marth's Dair is very inefficient, even for spiking, and should never be used unless you are playing at a high competetive level.
However, if you do want to try to hit them when you're above, try to DI to the side of the opponent and fair them. (Fair stands for Forward aerial attack).
6) Try to use some more air dodges when trying to land back on the stage.
7) When knocked up and away, and you're recovering to the stage, do not use your double jump immediately. Save it for when you get closer to the stage if you need it.
8) Less fsmash.
9) Most of the times when you used fsmash, a fair or side B would have been better.
10) When they're close and shielding, replace your Side Bs with dtilts (stands for down tilt, which is the attack where Marth crouches on the ground and stabs you with his sword on the ground).
11) Replace some usmashes with utilts or uairs, as usmashes are slow and can be punished.
12) Do not use Dolphin Slash (Up B) in the air to hit an opponent. If you miss, it creates and opening for the opponent to attack you. Even if you do hit, most of the time they will not fly far away enough, and instead they will be close enough to you to punish you. Instead of using DS, use a uair or other aerial attack.
13) Don't roll dodge as much. Try some side dodges, and even walking or dashing away from an opponent works! (To new players especially, this may seem very dangerous but if you try it a few times and you may see how good it can be).

Basically, most of the things I listed here can be fixed with more practise, considering you've only been competetive for a few days :).

Oh, and welcome to the Marth Boards!

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
@Marshmallowman- you used a lot of Dancing blade as an approach, instead use it for a quick punisher. Use more aerial approaches, especially fair. Also, Dtilt is a great move, i know its kinda hard to incorporate when you start out, it was for me at least, but a lot of places where you Fsmashed, there could've been a dtilt
And don't use Dair so much. It is really only used to go for a rare spike kill. a fast falled fair is better in those situations. Also, don't be afraid to go for the juggle with up airs, especially on battlefield.
Your edgehog kill was nice, as was your DB1 to dolphin slash, but remember that won't always work, so don't rely on it for a kill.

overall, work on your aerial game mostly, just play more and get a better feel for the game, it'll come in time

EDIT: ^Ragnoroks post pretty much killed mine lol

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I"ll look into it next, I only check back once in a while so don't think im purposefully skipping anyone XD

G2g for today though, I'll try to get one tomorrow :).

MEU

Smash Rookie
marshmellow: you gotta get past the phase that all of us start off with. We always try to roll away from danger, but eventually you'll find other ways instead of rolling. Which doesn't mean don't use rolling at all, just keep it on the low, especially with marth.

gallax

Smash Hero

blukberry

Smash Cadet
ok here are four vids. be nice people.

Marth vs PT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26OKdY-ktqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3G3_T3sZ0

Marth vs Toon Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tqXODWdlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUC6vyQWyE4

btw in the one vid where im pivot grabbing and what not im showing a person who is fairly new to smash how to pivot grab and the toon link was showing why his was so bad. so disregard that first couple of seconds.
You should keep it light on the smashes and keep them fresh for kills. You can replace them for a quick downtilt or DB so you wont get punished.
,Also try to mix up your approach more often. Marth has a ton of approaches he's able to do.
DB, Running shield,SH aeriel to FL etc...

BTW I love your texture. Its sweet :)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Critique:

0:18 - Bad ledge spacing, shoulda reset your spacing so you can reset the ledge situation easier.
0:19 - Marth's roll is terrible! You get grabbed.
0:24 - Bad roll, you gave ample room for her to safely return to the ledge.
0:31 - Why do you keep tossing the piece up??? You could rack up some easy damage there >_>
0:32 - DB woulda been better here.
0:35 - After the toss, you shoulda followed up with a Dash --> DB. You get punished.
0:39 - Whiffed Fsmash, luckily you didn't get punished.
1:06 - Bad spacing, no punish.
1:14 - Whiffed Uair, no one was around 0.o Catch a Dair.
1:34 - It was too easy for her to return to the ledge, work on your off-stage pressure.
1:36 - Whiffed Fsmash, you eat a Dtilt.
1:40 - Nice SD -_- Should've reposition yourself for the assured DJ --> UpB return, too greedy with that one.
1:57 - Tipper Fsmash kill no?
2:05 - View :18 please.
2:20 - WTF you can't grab someone who's invincible lmao, luckily no punish.

Your better then your opponent, however you definitely need to work on: spacing, whiffed attacks, off-stage pressure game, and move selection

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
rukkiko don't just tell them "don't roll/fsmash/etc its bad luckily you didnt get punished"

Anyone can see what you're telling them, instead go more in depth and tell them what the better option would have been in the scenario and why it would have worked if necessary.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
rukkiko don't just tell them "don't roll/fsmash/etc its bad luckily you didnt get punished"

Anyone can see what you're telling them, instead go more in depth and tell them what the better option would have been in the scenario and why it would have worked if necessary.
Honestly I was in a rush for time, as I'm taking a call, but you right, I shall fix that up. If you can/may, patch it up for me in the mean time?

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
My (Jake's) Marth

I looked at the rules in the beginning about no Marth dittos, but these are the only ones I have.
Along with that these are the ones that I think represent my Marth the most.

Personally, I think that I take way to much damage, and get caught by Smashes. I seem to be a better Marth than Asher, however, the stock and damage ratio isn't far from each other.

I am sorry that these are the only ones I have, I will get some of other than just Marth dittos, but for now could you just give what tips you can? Thanks a lot.

I have more, I also lost in the 5th fight, so that may be worth watching.

Please Critique accordingly.
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwdEZq0JKw

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0MXUveOQ90

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlkPxEu0O0
(Sorry for the interuptions from my sister, brother, and mum.)

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Please help me vs Snake

I have a very hard time with this match up. I feel at times snake is unapproachable. Either i get shield grabbed when i Fair and tech chased to hell or i get nade camped or nade shielded. I also have a hard time dealing with Snakes up tilt at over 98%. I don't think i am DIing properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRKhD...er_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8AO...er_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQjl2...er_profilepage

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I have a very hard time with this match up. I feel at times snake is unapproachable. Either i get shield grabbed when i Fair and tech chased to hell or i get nade camped or nade shielded. I also have a hard time dealing with Snakes up tilt at over 98%. I don't think i am DIing properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRKhD...er_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8AO...er_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQjl2...er_profilepage
Your links are broke. I'll try to help you what I can from what you said though.
If you're getting shield-grabbed, you're not spacing your fairs properly. Work on tipping everything and make sure you move back a bit after they connect with his shield. Against a tech chase, I don't really know what to say except to mix it up and try to make note of his tendencies. If you're getting nade-shielded, you could try shield breaker to maybe make him think twice the next time. And instead of attacking try to go for the grab to up throw to set up a juggle trap. The proper DI for a move that sends you straight up, I believe, is straight left/right. Make sure you're using Fair to momentum cancel and make sure you're fast falling.
Hope that helps :D

Edit: saw your vids, try not to use moves that are easier to punish like shield breaker. Typically, you only want to go for that when you know it's going to connect AND break their shield. You want to avoind punishment and laggy moves as much as possible because against Snake you'll get punished hard. When he's on the platform, try up tilting from under or short hopping nairs. When coming down, don't just air dodge into him. Try to land somewhere else or go for the ledge if you have to. From what I saw, most of the times you got up tilted, it was hopeless anyway, but yeah, still what I said before.
That's all I can think of right now. Any bad advice in there Shaya???

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Your links are broke. I'll try to help you what I can from what you said though.
If you're getting shield-grabbed, you're not spacing your fairs properly. Work on tipping everything and make sure you move back a bit after they connect with his shield. Against a tech chase, I don't really know what to say except to mix it up and try to make note of his tendencies. If you're getting nade-shielded, you could try shield breaker to maybe make him think twice the next time. And instead of attacking try to go for the grab to up throw to set up a juggle trap. The proper DI for a move that sends you straight up, I believe, is straight left/right. Make sure you're using Fair to momentum cancel and make sure you're fast falling.
Hope that helps :D

Edit: saw your vids, try not to use moves that are easier to punish like shield breaker. Typically, you only want to go for that when you know it's going to connect AND break their shield. You want to avoind punishment and laggy moves as much as possible because against Snake you'll get punished hard. When he's on the platform, try up tilting from under or short hopping nairs. When coming down, don't just air dodge into him. Try to land somewhere else or go for the ledge if you have to. From what I saw, most of the times you got up tilted, it was hopeless anyway, but yeah, still what I said before.
That's all I can think of right now. Any bad advice in there Shaya???

This advice just made me a better Marth!

brbtippers

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom