• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Don't post videos in which your opponents clearly suck, I expect you of all people to know that already :(

Don't try to CG people if you are not sure of the timing, 30% chance to do 9% more damage isn't worth it.

Try not to roll as much.

Moar DS OoS.

Try not to randomly Nair.

Dair is fine if you know it'll hit. If you know it'll hit, make it hit. Don't FF Dair out of a fullhop or you'll be sorry.

Don't go around trying to grab Jigglypuff, you have better options.

Don't try to approach with your back facing your opponent, you have some serious blindspots then.

Don't always fullhop on IC, it's fine for it to be a mixup but you usually don't want to end up above them. Although overall on the matchup, you did pretty well.

Work on your ledgeguarding, you're still too fsmash happy.

You're too fsmash happy overall.

Your fair spacing could use some help, you're still getting shieldgrabbed.

More Uair.

More dtilt.

Less attempts to spike.

That's it for now.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Tippah~!

I play Marth. I'd like to use him as a serious secondary, so critique would be helpful. =X Snake matchup is hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaB9PD_GTk - KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc9P2QVb3rI -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OeOSp0lJc - KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YwK_tm_JUM -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXlazsZITA -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfTgskfdz2k -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhaN2jbfzpI -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 8

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
me neither. they don't like texas :(
try to get a hold of somebody on aim.

Reizilla

i think it used to be, but a lot of the better critiquers don't frequent it often enough

Broly

Smash Lord
ill prolly open my own critique thread. i actually like watchin vids, and can give great critiques. think i should?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
...:urg: I guess getting the videos up was a waste. x.x

Reizilla

nah, just help people out in this one. people here usually shun people that make person-specific threads. just send a pm to steel or someone and ask them to check out your vids. making a post in the MGD that you have vids up for critique will probably help also.

Broly

Smash Lord
NYA- i watched 3 vids, cuz 6 is too much. your marth is decent at best. i liked the way you punished the snake in the first match, but after that, ya became really passive. you never executed one side-b attack, and its very useful on the ground and a suprise mid air attack. work on your ground game, its helpful to bring pressure from there. you did alot of full jumps when short hops were the answer. sh to f-air is your bread and butter to space, so use it. all in all, be more aggressive, especially with snakes. however, dont be reckless. spacing is the key to winning. that snake wasnt great, and you should be able to win w/ the advice ive given you.

OZZ ill look at your vids tonite. k?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Since you guys are griping, I'll critique one vid from each of you, if you want (Kawaii is first since I just watched the first one, lmao ****) :)

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
alright cool broly and thanks for the critique i'll definetly work on that stuff lord chair, although most of those bad habits are gone now

Mr-R

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppgt...user/Synchronize11&feature=player_profilepage

so guys heres my getting ***** by a snake in tourny

]; didnt replay the others but i lost the set cuz im a scrub
lets see, heres what I think.
ur marth is pretty decent althought u might need to work on the following.

-more RETREATING fairs, so work on ur spacing

-more upairs wouldn't hurt

-throws set snake up in a terrible position, so i suggest u learn how to read airdodges/jumps and juggle them.

-more dancing blade wouldn't hurt, even thought it isn't great against snake

-NEVER charge a smashattack when ur below snake and snake still has a jump

-never charge a smashattack against snake unless theres a 80 % change ur gonna hit him

-u gotta attack snake more in the air, or at least scare him so that he will attack or airdodge so that u can punish him for it

-dont roll unless ur out of options and ur sure ur wont get punished for it, but I suggest u dont roll at all for know.

and this is really important, against snake u have to play agressive enough to constantly pressure him,so YOU have to approach allot more with retreating fairs, and ofcourse on low % u can juggle him, dont know how to juggle? look up some videos of mikehaze,neo or roy_R ( I recommend Roy_R vs razer XD , i guess thats it.
i'll look at some other videos tomorrow, cuz right now im rlly sleepy XD

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I play Marth. I'd like to use him as a serious secondary, so critique would be helpful. =X Snake matchup is hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaB9PD_GTk - KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc9P2QVb3rI -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OeOSp0lJc - KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YwK_tm_JUM -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXlazsZITA -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfTgskfdz2k -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhaN2jbfzpI -
KawaiiBunny (Marth) vs K9 (Snake) 8

I only watched a few but my critique should help a bit. Ok, dont tilt and fsmash so much. Ftilt is too laggy, Utilt same deal, dtilt is ok but save it for when snake is near the ledge or as he is trying to land. Also, stop fairing snake when he whips out a nade lol. That is the time you should be going for a grab or maybe a shield breaker for a mixup. If you are going to do an aerial, make sure you space it an retreat or you will eat ftilt. My final request, DARE TO DAIR. Seriously you could have ended his stock with a simple spike instead of going for a regrab at the ledge. Its not that difficult to do either and its not like snake will punish you with his laggy fair.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@backlash that's some bad advice lol

dtilt works well vs. snake's shield because it'll keep you out of nade range while blowing them up...not to mention it creates pressure and forces them to spotdodge or roll away

she fsmashes a little too much but only because it works as a punishment and she's not getting beat up for it

when she fairs snake's shield she's doing it right (ascending on the shield...though this is still bad because you can get hit by snake stuff). spacing retreat aerials don't work if the snake learns your timing and dash attacks through it.

regrab is the safest and most efficient option...she could've daired but if she doesn't know the tip then it's dangerous vs. snake. she did the right thing by doing a lot of regrabs, she probably should've daired at mid 50s-60s.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
@backlash that's some bad advice lol

dtilt works well vs. snake's shield because it'll keep you out of nade range while blowing them up...not to mention it creates pressure and forces them to spotdodge or roll away
Using dtilt to safely blow up nades is extremely situational. Dtilt is unsafe on Snake's shield. It will lead to a ftilt punish, it really, really will. Don't tell someone his advice is bad if you come up with equally bad stuff :X.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
dtilt is safe on block against snake, so long as it's well spaced. only the second hit of his ftilt or a DA would be able to reach you, both of which you have time to shield or react against.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
*YAWNNNN*

Critique: KawaiiBunny!(Marth) Vs. K9(Snake) 3

0:04 - Ftilt? If anything you did it too early, a uthrow --> juggle trap or a fthrow --> ss tipper fsmash would've been much more productive. This allows him to DA at you and get into a better stage position.
0:11 - He throws a grenade... and your whiffing random attacks in place? WTF 0.o After he pulls nades you should pursue him, as this is the time to apply pressure with Fair/Nair. You catch the nade explosion.
0:19 - Bad spacing on Snake's shield is deadly, especially when he gets the grab like he did here.
0:39 - Putting him off-stage would've put you in the good position, and Snake in that bad one. However, it happened vice versa with the grab release you assumed he'd run into his mine.
0:42 - Refer to :19.
0:44 - I think you FF and angle you UpB to far. This causes the SD.
0:53 - Toooo many spotdodges, DB actually would've been a good punisher here as he was doing the same. You get the Ftilt.
1:26 - Fishing for grabs, especially with dash grabs, is risky and not very rewarding, since Marth's dash grab is terrible.
1:42 - Very predictable recovery, no DB stall or using an aerial to challenge and run out his invicibility or get off the ledge? You lose a stock.
1:59 - Not safe to AD into an opponent in a neutral situation, especially Snake.
2:17 - Another Fair would've kept the pressure, even an UpB. But this was just a failed read, good thinking however.
2:24 - He whiffed a grab and you rolled -_- Whether this was accidental or not, you missed a crucial chance to setup a juggle trap.
2:28 - 99% of the time an opponent is going to AD after a throw, so immediately attacking after a throw is unsafe at high %s. You eat an Utilt, gg.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Fastfall your aerials, sometimes you just did a sh fair or nair and just hung there until you hit the ground

dont usmash so much

use dancing blade to punish EVERYTHING

dont use ftilt that much

space more

Broly

Smash Lord
Critique my Marth I have two matches ones not done uploading so I'll just post the first one for now and edit the second one in later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCToetkmuE&feature=channel_page
ur marth seemed too much based off melees marth. the use of retreating f-airs and dancing blade is much better to space w/ than dtilts that close. the shiek couuld have been grabbing you all day. try mixing some grabs of your own. lots of times i saw you walk right into him w/o trying much, or he would ftilt you. learn to edgeguard properly against shiek. grabbing the ledge is the key since her up b from afar will not force you off making the shiek to have to up-b to stage. then you can sh neutral or you can get on stage n try for an fsmash tip. your aerial game was ok, but try n be more agressive. if under platforms, up-b through the ftilt lock.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Dancing blade = SideB? I don't use it much so it's a good punisher? I usually just use grab as a punisher but Sheiks dash attack was to fast I'll use this instead Thanks for tips Yeah I should try and gimp her recovery I think I do it once in the second video which is almost uploaded.

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah side b comes out on frame 4, has great range for such a fast move, and does 13% when fresh

each swing refreshes a move in itself too wchich is amazing

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Alright thanks I always hold down the control stick and tap b rapidly which messes me up and Im like I hate this move and I still use it but I didnt realize it was so good I'll try it out.

Edit: whats the best combo with dancing blades? from watching videos I see alot of just Sideb->Sideb->Sideb unless its for a KO the last one they have an Upb

Tophes

Smash Cadet
@GreenFox

0:32 - You could've led a d-tilt to dancing blade. That combos at low %.
0:35 - Don't know why you decided to roll into your opponent. It led you to directly being in front of your opponent for a free grab.
0:49 - That would've been a good opportunity to do Dolphin Slash out of shield. You may think it's risky due to the vulnerability timing, but when done correctly, the benefits are quite rewarding.
0:54 - Nice read on the recovery. Good use of charged F-smash.
1:10 - Looked like you could've DI'd to prevent getting a u-air on you.
1:22 - Try and fastfall the F-air instead. You will get to the ground faster, the F-air auto cancels, and you probably would've hit your opponent if you did.
1:29 - You could've shielded all of Sheik's F-smash, but it looks like you let go of your shield too early. When you got hit, you could've DI'd up to live through the F-smash. Hardest spots to die are the upper corners of the KO zone.
1:36 - Looks like you could've finished your dancing blade before Sheik got the d-tilt out.
2:06 - A lead up from cross-over N-air to dancing blade would've been quite sexy.
2:15 - Nice read in the get up attack.
2:40 - Once again, d-tilt --> dancing blade at low %.
2:59 - Would've been great if you got the grab off from her recovery. Looks like you didn't have time to react is all.

Overall there are quite a few things that need to be worked on, zoning and spacing especially. There could've been quite a few opportunities that when you could've used dancing blade to punish the mistakes that your opponent made i.e. rolling. Use dancing blade more often - it's Marth's bread and butter. It looked like your opponent wasn't considering his spacing either, thus there were times when you were shielding that you could've Dolphin Slashed to punish your opponent. Varied F-airs are very nice to help create a wall for your opponent (SHFF F-air, FH F-air, SH Double F-air, etc...). Just don't get predictable with the F-airs though; mix it up and keep your opponent guessing.

You just need to know a good amount of Marth's options and his good areas. Not bad so far - I'll critique the second video when you upload it.

*EDIT* Second Video Critique

0:15 - Fast falling the F-air, you could've taken advantage of the IASA frames to go to a dancing blade. Sheik would be at the edge and you could start pressuring for stage control.
0:34 - Not sure if Sheik's percentage was too high, but I would've attempted to lead the d-tilt to dancing blade.
0:43 - Nice mix up of shield breaker.
0:54 - Don't know if you were predicting a ledge jump, but the u-tilts were a bit much.
1:04~1:14 - You got somewhat F-smash happy there. It got a bit predictable.
1:35~1:38 - So much d-tilt o.O; could've easily followed up to dancing blade lol.
1:56 - Same as comment above.
2:36 - The edge guarding was sexy. I lol'd at Sheik's suicide.
2:43 - Dash attack for approach --> not so good. Could've easily been punished for it.
2:45~2:50 - Marth's bad zone! You could've DI'd out of that ****.
2:57 - FF F-air could've led to dancing blade.
3:01 - D-tilt --> Dancing Blade.
3:37~3:40 - A little Dancing Blade happy right there haha.

The suicide was unfortunate in the beginning, but the near comeback was nice. There were times when I felt that you were somewhat tunnel visioning and you wanted a certain move to connect and won't stop till it does. The F-smashes were read pretty easily because of it. Just make sure you don't go into tunnel vision, and the same advice from the first video follows for the second.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Tophes, 2nd post is up on my op. Yeah my DI is bad I need to work on it. I understand how it works Its just I forget to do it. Thanks for the help my match after rewatching videos with your guys critique I got a 2 stock :psycho:

I've been doing everything you've said and feel like I have probed my marth tremendously
Your critique has really helped I'm almost embarrassed to go watch those matches now

What are some other good KO options besides Fsmash? I spam it to much and I get punished for Dolphin slash OOS. also don't you have to jump for that then up b simotaneously for invincibility frames? I cant play with tap jump on and my r is set to attack for dacus

Player-3

Smash Hero
utilt is a great kill move

dsmash is good but if you whiff/it gets shielded youll get punished
tipper nair

Bair is an amazing kill move

tip uair if its fresh

Tophes

Smash Cadet
Tophes, 2nd post is up on my op. Yeah my DI is bad I need to work on it. I understand how it works Its just I forget to do it. Thanks for the help my match after rewatching videos with your guys critique I got a 2 stock :psycho:

I've been doing everything you've said and feel like I have probed my marth tremendously
Your critique has really helped I'm almost embarrassed to go watch those matches now

What are some other good KO options besides Fsmash? I spam it to much and I get punished for Dolphin slash OOS. also don't you have to jump for that then up b simotaneously for invincibility frames? I cant play with tap jump on and my r is set to attack for dacus
In terms of KO options, you have your other smashes, Dolphin Slash, and all of your aerials. Your f-air will be decayed considering that you will be using that for most of your pressure game and keeping that wall going to limit your opponent's options. Thus your best bet is u-air when juggling and b-air as well as n-air for a horizontal KO.

B-air and dancing blade are very handy to change your position to get certain aerials out. Example: Going for an offstage KO with a b-air, when you run off and jump off the stage, you can c-stick the b-air or DB1 to the opposite direction to change the way you face in the air, and sweetspot the b-air for the kill. Same goes for when you want a reverse n-air.

D-air is situational for when you are going to spike someone (spiking is best when you are facing behind your opponent, the tip radius is larger from behind), so don't try and go for it all the time.

Your smashes are very good, but it's best to use them when you have conditioned your opponent to do certain things (i.e. reading the air dodge landing and charging a U-smash, reading the horizontal recovery and leading it to a F-smash, punishing the roll with a D-smash when at KO percent). Throwing them out at random will lead you to getting punished and racking up so much damage in the long run.

Dolphin slash is used as a punisher when a person mis spaces their approach to you and you can just do it out of shield. Not only for poorly spaced approaches but it can be used after baiting someone. If you were to throw out a F-smash and you know the person is going to come after you to retaliate, Dolphin slash to punish for their approach. As for the tap jump situation, it's possible for you to Dolphin Slash OOS with tap jump off by pressing jump and up-B at the same time. Assuming that you haven't changed your jump settings, you're most likely gonna have to claw it.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Assuming that you haven't changed your jump settings, you're most likely gonna have to claw it.
I have R to jump on one profile and R to Attack on one profile one to for Bowser/marth one for whoever has a dacus

I just cant tell if I'm doing it right and don't seem the difference of adding the jump then staying landed I don't get hit anyway I guess I could make a vid later..

∫unk

Smash Master
@ Player-3 - **** song LOL.
• When you get knocked off the ledge immediately air dodge or f-air or u-air... you should never land on the ground with your ***. If your shielding at the edge of a platform get ready to do an aerial right after.
• Don't keep going for the same stuff. Ex. charge u-smash on snakes landing.. He ***** you the second time you tried that means you gotta stop. Pivot grabbing is safer vs landing opponents bigger "hitbox" than u-smash and less lag.
• Shield when you just killed someone and you're at high percent. They're just trying to kill you. In fact just shield and punish their kill move. Vs. Snake if they f-tilt once then roll away but this Snake would have easily been baited a whole stock just trying to kill you.
• Just move faster in general look at Steel's training video. You should be one constant moving pressure machine/hitbox. Always be doing something/have a purpose.
• Wait for the airdodge, that Snake is dumb*** predictable in his airdodging patterns. Near the edge -> immediate jump and airdodge or up b. Landing -> air dodge as he comes down.

@ Ozz - Okay you definitely know how to play but you have 3 really noticeable patterns:
1) You lean forward ALL the time after aerials, recovering, everything... all the opponent has to do to **** you is shieldgrab. It's not safe... always retreat while you're landing unless the opponent is in hitstun. You should still NEVER do short hop f-air (keep holding forward) f-air as you land. That sequence is never good.

On recovery if I just sit there you're going to move right into me... don't be afraid to move back with marth and use up b. In fact vs good players that's usually the only safe means of recovery. Move back f-air for protection fast fall up b.

2) Don't roll every time you mess up and feel slightly pressured. Not much to say about this you won't be rolling so much when you don't move forward all the time and mess up your spacing.

3) You'll repeatedly go for the same stuff. Ex. grab at 0% If it doesn't work the first time just stop. If a good opponent wasn't already avoiding the grab at 0 he definitely will after he sees you do it once. Even KRD ***** you for it.

@ Kawaii - Wait for Snake to do stuff more... you're just kinda doing your moves without baiting anything. When I play Kadaj with Snake all he does is like d-tilt and forward b right outside my f-tilt range baiting me to f-tilt so he can hit me in the lag. Doing this also makes it so I can't forward roll to escape pressure since he's right there... a very scary thing when I'm on the ledge.

In general you're wayyy too close to the ledge for your ledge traps. The whole time play as if you're going to punish the forward roll because that's the one thing that can **** you up as Marth. If you cover that option and keep your spacing you'll do much better.

Also, notice how very little of your stuff is tipped because you aren't spacing that great. This is easily fixed in training mode just f-air until you can tip it 10x in a row. Then repeat for all his crucial moves (d-tilt f-smash db). Also learn his grab range and pivot grab range (setting the cpu to jump is good for this).

And the grabbing the cypher thing doesn't work vs good Snakes so you have to do the spike. Good snakes recovery far away and C4 themselves so you can't hit them until they're above stage.

@ Green Fox - I'm sure Toph helped you out but...
1) DI
2) Spacing
3) Move Choice

You need to work on all of those... training mode will help.

You should be able to move like this when you play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcPUyndlu0

If you do this regardless of what the opponent is doing, at the level your currently playing you'll do better simply based on the fact that your wall is better.

IF YOU'RE GETTING ***** STOP DOING WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING. This seems obvious but that's basically what's happening in all these videos. If you can't think of what to do just try something random. That's part of the learning curve and experience.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
To DI from a smash that sends you flying all the way off the side of the stage you change the trajectory to the right hand corner by holding up exactly when your hit or after your hit? or whyll being hit and why'll flying in the air? maybe I should post this in the Q&A but were still discussing the critique of my video so why not

I've looked it up but I don't do it everytime and am not sure exactly when to do so

Broly

Smash Lord
i usally do it as hit comes. but you can more or less predict the impact. so, imo hold up and to the direction opposite of your trajectory

∫unk

Smash Master
you can "pre-DI" by DIing in the lag of your moves

ex. you do f-smash against metaknight immediately after i always hold up or towards the mk (while holding shield so it comes out ASAP)... why? because if they hit me with anything like d-smash i'll already be ready to DI it, and I'll do ASDI to start

then when my shield comes up i shift my analog to neutral and do whatever my next action is that i was thinking about

GreenFox

Smash Ace
you can "pre-DI" by DIing in the lag of your moves

ex. you do f-smash against metaknight immediately after i always hold up or towards the mk (while holding shield so it comes out ASAP)... why? because if they hit me with anything like d-smash i'll already be ready to DI it, and I'll do ASDI to start

then when my shield comes up i shift my analog to neutral and do whatever my next action is that i was thinking about
Very good help I'll definitely start doing this so I can get better at DI I don't want get off topic to much so all of my questions have been answered and you can discuss something more related to the topic thanks for helping out alot. I'll probably get another video up later when I improve my Marth for you guys to help me improve even more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom