• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Krystal Thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
But, it says on the site that she is doing the voice for Krystal, also Knuckle Joe and Zero Suit Samus.
Indeed. That's what I get for not clicking the link. :laugh:

Elysium is correct again. She will appear in some way, shape, or form in Brawl. Playable or not, that's for Sakurai to tell us.

The bad thing about Dedede's announcement...is that he won't tell us if she's in so soon after another new character. Looks like we have to wait another while for them to announce a new character. :(

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Oh yes, this definitely doesn't hurt her chances. Like I said, she is CONFIRMED to at least have a spoken clip. Realism says, though, that until her picture shows up under "WARNING A NEW CHALLENGER IS APPROACHING," we know nothing.

Elysium

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry about that vesper, Believe me, I am indeed excited that she's at least *in* the game. But I'd rather not get my hopes up and then see her at an AT update and be utterly crushed, though I highly doubt she's anything short of a PC

Chepe

Smash Lord
Oh please, its not merely possible that Krystal is in, shes in. No one should doubt that, not even before this voice thing came up. Sakurai is just holding her back for now. I see her getting revealed in minimum 3 weeks though...

Im just that sure shes in. Wolf is just out-prioritized by her in so many ways. You can just easily imagine Sakurai deciding on Krystal over Wolf...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh please, its not merely possible that Krystal is in, shes in. No one should doubt that, not even before this voice thing came up. Sakurai is just holding her back for now. I see her getting revealed in minimum 3 weeks though...

Im just that sure shes in. Wolf is just out-prioritized by her in so many ways. You can just easily imagine Sakurai deciding on Krystal over Wolf...
Yeah. Just because she has a ****** and a stick. Neither of which should matter that much.

But Wolf would be such a better choice. . . .

Elysium

Smash Lord

I know, but I'm just holding back my excitement until I look on the Dojo and see Warning: New challenger Approaching with everyones favorite Blue furred female underneath. Then I'll celebrate.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah. Just because she has a ****** and a stick. Neither of which should matter that much.

Having potential for a fun and unique moveset, increasing female representation, and being requested more doesnt matter that much? Well, it will have mattered to Sakurai... ;)

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman

No one said you have to like ONLY Wolf or ONLY Krystal. Personally, I like both, and I was really sad when we saw Fox with Wolf's costume.

Before you say "Mario had a green and yellow uniform," I'd like to say that both Luigi and Wario look VASTLY different from Mario's outfits. At this point, it's more comparable to Peach and Daisy than Mario and Wario. And I think we can agree that Daisy's chances are quite slim...

But the important thing is the moveset. Really. That's why Ganondorf was a HUGE disappointment in Melee. Likewise, the moveset Wolf would have can also go to Falco. Krystal...very few could take her moveset.

I want Wolf in, too. Sorry, dude.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Having potential for a fun and unique moveset, increasing female representation, and being requested more doesnt matter that much? Well, it will have mattered to Sakurai... ;)
Everyone has potential for a fun and unique moveset though. That's the thing. The staff certainly ensures a unique movest. But we have, like, 4 sword fighters in Brawl and they all look like they play differently. Wolf and Falco both have just as much potential for a unique moveset as Krystal does, despite the staff.

And I will never understand why increasing female representation is SO important to Sakurai (nor everyone else for that matter). More female characters would be nice, but I don't see why it's a priority. If a character's good, they should get in Brawl. That's it. If they happen to be female, then that's cool too. Krystal's gender shouldn't be a factor.

And being requested? You know Wolf has been requested plenty too, right?

I don't know. Mostly, I have a bias against Krystal because I think she's getting way more credit than she deserves. Characters like Wolf, Falco and even Slipp and Peppy have seniority over her. Including her without at least Falco and Wolf seems like a slap in the face.

No one said you have to like ONLY Wolf or ONLY Krystal. Personally, I like both, and I was really sad when we saw Fox with Wolf's costume.
I know, but I like Wolf infinitely more than Krystal. I don't mind her being in, I just mind the fact that she'll be given an honor that Wolf probably won't. And I really think it's a shame. I just don't think Krystal deserves it. I don't hate her, but it feels like Wolf (and possibly Falco unless he makes it back in) is really getting short-strawed here.

I want Wolf in, too. Sorry, dude.
Eh, not like it's your fault. I'm just bitter. And unfortunately for Krystal and her fans I'll probably be taking most of it out on them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sakurai was stated as asking around about Krystal, which means he has interest in the character.

...But he seems surprised that many people actually like the Star Fox series.

I think Krystal is in

Zevox

Smash Lord
Well, that new information is enough for me to consider her all but confirmed. Technically we only know for sure that she has either a moving or speaking role (possibly both), which could mean merely a story character or AT - but do we really have any reason to suspect she'd be anything less than playable? Especially with her having 3 votes on Sakurai's poll, and fully four of the known newcomers coming from there, one of which had only two votes.

Heres hoping for her to be confirmed next week. Perhaps if she wasn't planned for then, this leak will push her announcement up.

Nothing Rhymes with Circus said:
I don't know. Mostly, I have a bias against Krystal because I think she's getting way more credit than she deserves. Characters like Wolf, Falco and even Slipp and Peppy have seniority over her. Including her without at least Falco and Wolf seems like a slap in the face.
Wolf pre-dates her by all of one game, in which he had a minor role as a lackey to Andross. Since he wasn't in Adventures, they even have the same number of appearances in the series. His "seniority" really doesn't mean anything overall.

Zevox

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Well, that new information is enough for me to consider her all but confirmed. Technically we only know for sure that she has either a moving or speaking role (possibly both), which could mean merely a story character or AT - but do we really have any reason to suspect she'd be anything less than playable? Especially with her having 3 votes on Sakurai's poll, and fully four of the known newcomers coming from there, one of which had only two votes.

Heres hoping for her to be confirmed next week. Perhaps if she wasn't planned for then, this leak will push her announcement up.

Wolf pre-dates her by all of one game, in which he had a minor role as a lackey to Andross. Since he wasn't in Adventures, they even have the same number of appearances in the series. His "seniority" really doesn't mean anything overall.

Zevox
Doesn't change the fact that I like him more. Still bitter. And with the seniority thing, I'm referring more to Falco than Wolf. I like him even more than Wolf so I'm worried about him too.

And I still hate the affirmative action that Sakurai was talking about. Female characters shouldn't be put in the game just because they're female, in my opinion.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Doesn't change the fact that I like him more. Still bitter. And with the seniority thing, I'm referring more to Falco than Wolf. I like him even more than Wolf so I'm worried about him too.
I don't think theres any need to worry about Falco. Last I heard, he turned up easily the most popular Star Fox character on an official poll somewhere, with twice as many votes as the closest competitor, Fox. Between that kind of support and being a veteran, I can't imagine him not showing up. Fox, Falco, and Krystal is the Star Fox roster I fully expect and support.

Nothing Rhymes with Circus said:
And I still hate the affirmative action that Sakurai was talking about. Female characters shouldn't be put in the game just because they're female, in my opinion.
True, but Krystal is one of those few Nintendo females who is truly worthy of being the game, sex regardless. Popular (at least the equal of Wolf, if not above him), unique, appeared in over half the Star Fox games, important to every game shes appeared in - honestly, its just a pity theres so few Nintendo-made females who have as much going for them as her.

Zevox

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Which is why the "affirmative action" excuse is crappy. Just like the "villians need more representation" excuse Wolf lovers use a lot. Please don't hate on Krystal for just that reason.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I don't think theres any need to worry about Falco. Last I heard, he turned up easily the most popular Star Fox character on an official poll somewhere, with twice as many votes as the closest competitor, Fox. Between that kind of support and being a veteran, I can't imagine him not showing up. Fox, Falco, and Krystal is the Star Fox roster I fully expect and support.
I can only hope. Admittedly, as long as Falco's in, I'm satisfied.

True, but Krystal is one of those few Nintendo females who is truly worthy of being the game, sex regardless. Popular (at least the equal of Wolf, if not above him), unique, appeared in over half the Star Fox games, important to every game shes appeared in - honestly, its just a pity theres so few Nintendo-made females who have as much going for them as her.

Zevox
See, I disagree with this. I think that if Krystal were a male character, far fewer people would be gunning for her. As far as I can tell, the one thing that makes her stand out among the characters of the StarFox team is the fact that she's Fox's love interest—which is due to the fact that she's basically the only girl in the game. If she were a male (and assuming Fox were still straight, thereby having no relationship), I don't think she'd be anymore important than Slippy, Wolf, or anyone else. A character such as, say, Zelda or Samus does not have this problem.

Which is why the "affirmative action" excuse is crappy. Just like the "villians need more representation" excuse Wolf lovers use a lot. Please don't hate on Krystal for just that reason.
No, I'd say villains are a different case then females. Villains, by nature are extremely important to their franchise—a protagonist must have an antagonist. And for the SSE to work properly, villains are indeed needed. Females characters are not necessarily as important to the storyline. It seems to me that Sakurai's reason for putting villains in is "I need characters for the heroes to fight in adventure mode", where as his reason for more female characters would have to be ". . . We just don't have enough."

The fact is, if Wolf disappeared, Fox would be missing a main rival. He'd still have Andross, but that's a lot less exciting. If Krystal disappeared, Peppy would still be in his cockpit, and life would go on.

But then, that's just all my opinion.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Wolf's role as a rival is minor at best. It exists, but not that big. Heck, I felt Gandrayda (from MP3) was a better rival to Samus than Wolf was to Fox.

And by the same token, if Krystal disappeared, Fox would be missing his main lover (something that gets REALLY fleshed out in Command, moreso than Wolf's rivalry). If Wolf disappeared, he'd have to fight a different boss. Minimalizing is bad for the soul.

burrito

Smash Lord
Hold on, Jennifer Hale is doing the voice for Zamus: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0928380/
IMDB is a far from acccurate site. If you check Jennifer Hale's site : http://www.jenniferhale.com/jenn42/upload/index.htm, you ca see that in the credits there is no listing for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So, this means nothing.

Although, really, people shouldn't jump to conclusions. It was inevitable that Krystal would appear in Brawl in some form, she is a major part of the Starfox team now, and that is all that this confirmed.

Everyone has potential for a fun and unique moveset though. That's the thing. The staff certainly ensures a unique movest. But we have, like, 4 sword fighters in Brawl and they all look like they play differently. Wolf and Falco both have just as much potential for a unique moveset as Krystal does, despite the staff.
Potential- capable of being or becoming

As you said, the staff ensures a unique moveset for Krystal. Therefore, Krystal is more capable of having a unique moveset because it would be much easier to implement a unique moveset for Krystal and would be true to her character. Therefore, Krystal has more potential for a unique moveset than Wolf.

Yes, but characters should be put in because they are unique. Being female makes Krystal more unique. This way Smash Bros. can appeal to a wider audience.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Having breasts doesn't make you unique. We already have at three characters with 'em in Brawl already. =P

Her biggest unique quality is her moveset. This is undeniable. There is no other staff- or spear-wielder with as NEAR the chance Krystal has to make it in Smash. Don't give me that affirmative action crap.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Actually, Wolf's role as a rival is minor at best. It exists, but not that big. Heck, I felt Gandrayda (from MP3) was a better rival to Samus than Wolf was to Fox.

And by the same token, if Krystal disappeared, Fox would be missing his main lover (something that gets REALLY fleshed out in Command, moreso than Wolf's rivalry). If Wolf disappeared, he'd have to fight a different boss. Minimalizing is bad for the soul.
I'll admit that StarFox is a valid exception to what I'm saying. Between Wolf and Krystal, it basically comes down to who you like better. There are a myriad of small reasons I just generally prefer Wolf, but they don't matter. Basically, like I said, I'm just bitter.

But if Krystal gets in and Falco doesn't make it, I'll be legitimately pissed.

Regardless, I think that my stand on villains and females has some general logic to it. For example, in the non-existent scenario where both Peach and Bowser had the chance to be in the game but for unknown reasons only ONE could make it, who would it be? I think Bowser makes the most sense due to his villain status. For the SSE, villains are required. Females are not (unless your villain happens to be female, killing two birds with one stone).

The way I see it, we need heroes and villains and it would be nice to have females among them. But they are not necessary. Without villains, the one player mode ceases to function the same way. Without females, there just happen to be only male heroes and villains. A lack of estrogen in the game would not harm the. . . "plot", if you will.

Zevox

Smash Lord
See, I disagree with this. I think that if Krystal were a male character, far fewer people would be gunning for her. As far as I can tell, the one thing that makes her stand out among the characters of the StarFox team is the fact that she's Fox's love interest—which is due to the fact that she's basically the only girl in the game. If she were a male (and assuming Fox were still straight, thereby having no relationship), I don't think she'd be anymore important than Slippy, Wolf, or anyone else. A character such as, say, Zelda or Samus does not have this problem.
Perhaps, it seems to me that this merely means that her popularity and importance stem from her being female, not that her being a female is why she is likely to be in Brawl. Regardless of the source of her importance and popularity, she is popular and important, and of course she is quite unique, which make her a good choice for a playable character in Brawl. The point is she has those reasons backing her up, shes not merely being supported/added because she happens to be some random female character.

Zevox

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Potential- capable of being or becoming

As you said, the staff ensures a unique moveset for Krystal. Therefore, Krystal is more capable of having a unique moveset because it would be much easier to implement a unique moveset for Krystal and would be true to her character. Therefore, Krystal has more potential for a unique moveset than Wolf.
But if Wolf has enough potential for a unique moveset, then why does it matter who as more? Krystal may have more potential, but she would still be using the same amount of it as Wolf would; that is, just enough to have a complete, varied moveset. Even if Krystal has more to offer, she and Wolf are both capable of having movesets that are equally unique from the other characters.

It's like Krystal has a 3 gallons of water to fill a tank that can hold 1 gallon. Wolf has 1 gallon of water to fill the same tank. They could both empty their gallons and they'd still fill the tank to the same level, so who cares that Krystal had 2 more gallons?

RDK

Smash Hero
Basically, at this point, I just want Wolf in. I really don't give a hoot what else happens.

As long as I get the characters I want, I'm pretty much happy.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
I dunno what you all are arguing about... at least the one thing that is gaurenteed is that we will get at least 1 more Starfox character as a playable, who specificially, notwithstanding.

There's absolutely no way there could only be 1 SF character in the game.

nevertheless, couldn't help but smile at the voice-acting thing.

Zevox

Smash Lord
For example, in the non-existent scenario where both Peach and Bowser had the chance to be in the game but for unknown reasons only ONE could make it, who would it be? I think Bowser makes the most sense due to his villain status. For the SSE, villains are required. Females are not (unless your villain happens to be female, killing two birds with one stone).
Actually, I would say Bowser, due to his being more important to the Mario games. His actions drive most of the stories of those games. Peach just tends to merely be a prop, kidnapped by him and rescued by Mario.

Take instead the case of Fire Emblem, and say that in a future SSB, Micaiah and Garnef (the dark priest who was a main villain of Marth's games) both are under consideration for inclusion, but only one can be chosen. Micaiah would be the one to get in, due to her being a primary hero of her game, and the Garnef being just a villain, secondary in importance to the hero.

Really, the tragedy is, out of all Nintendo's series, the only ones with important female characters who do more than play the Damsel-in-Distress role (ala Peach/Zelda) are Metroid, Star Fox, Fire Emblem (and there they still are largely secondary to male characters, unfortunately - Micaiah will be the first who isn't), and a few minor second-party series (Golden Sun, Eternal Darkness, etc).

Zevox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom