• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

_Kain_

Smash Champion
From what it seems like it looks like we don't have side tournaments cause of lack of designated setups+ interest. Scythe has been able to organize side 3rd strike tournaments during the tournaments with 1 PS3. There is always melee going on during brawl too.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah because those are different systems. We definitely have interest, just the interest dies out by the time the tournaments are done, or we don't have enough time.

People do need to bring more Brawl setups though.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
okay ganon gauntlet was kind of a bad example. I don't know what you're talking about when you said that the ganons were camping though. The only match that went to time was me vs. Hylian... and thats cuz it was ICs vs. Ganon. I mean come on lol.

The only Ganon who camped was Tearbear, and that's because he's just a gay player in general lol. And it never worked for him... he always got ***** when he tried for a timeout, so by the end he was just playing normally.

As for your point about picking up habits... that's just opinion. In MY opinion, right now players have way more time than they need to pick up on habits. If you pick up your opponent's habits after just one stock (like you said), that means you now get to play the ENTIRE rest of the set--all 8 stocks--with a knowledge of the other player's habits.

In other words, assuming each player has 9 stocks in a set, you only have to spend 1/9th of the set without knowing your opponent's habits. The other 8/9ths, you have your opponent figured out and you're good to go.

Therefore adapting as fast as possible really isn't that important. You might lose your first stock because you don't know your opponent's habits, but you have 8 more stocks to catch up once you've figured him out.

On the other hand, if each game has 1 stock, then discovering your opponent's habits as fast as possible becomes much more important. Quick adaptation becomes a much larger factor. If you lose game 1 because you're adapting, it's still very possible to turn the rest of the set's 4 stocks around around with your newfound knowledge. It's just more challenging, which therefore makes much more important part of the game to be able to adapt fast.

Anyways I'm gonna stop typing because I feel like I'm rambling... I'm pretty sure I got my point across though

Akashi

Smash Lord
On the other hand, if each game has 1 stock, then discovering your opponent's habits as fast as possible becomes much more important. Quick adaptation becomes a much larger factor. If you lose game 1 because you're adapting, it's still very possible to turn the rest of the set's 4 stocks around around with your newfound knowledge. It's just more challenging, which therefore makes much more important part of the game to be able to adapt fast.
What about the people who use their first stocks to feel out the opponent and utilize reads more than others? Smart players like Kain download their opponent, and they have the potential to comeback much better than others can. By eliminating 3 stocks, you eliminate their potential to be consistent in their own way. You know players like Ally, M2K, Mikehaze, etc will drop their first few stocks/game easily, and then bring it back in a dominant fashion. I feel like you eliminate that process entirely, and you're replacing it with your "quick adaption" theory. Maybe I see it in a more dramatic light than you do, but it's like you're changing the entirety of our metagame, and making it into an even bigger campfest.

@Zwarm - Me, and most likely a lot of other players, do not come to a Brawl tournament to play Brawl + SF + MVC + 3rd Strike + Melee + Minus + AllBrawl + more side events, we come for the main event: Brawl. If you have to reduce the game so that there's more events, then I don't want more <_<. If that's what you want then I respect it, but I personally think it'll turn more people off than on.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Ugh, there's no winning with you people. Whatever, I don't care, let's just keep running the tournaments as we always have... I'm done arguing. God forbid we *suggest* trying something new without people jumping down our throats.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Dude just make it a vote and let it be done that way. Like I said I don't have a problem but the way you guys argue just shows bias, ignoring things about the game, just nitpicking at the wrong things, or that you basically wanna isolate our scene from everything else and basically develop our own metagame that no one else follows atm. If more people want 1 stock then have it that way. No need to take people's strong opinions about the game harshly

DLA adaptability works both ways but nice job making it seem like it only takes 1 stock for only 1 player to determine the match when basically brawl is conditioning, baiting, and reacting to what people are doing back and forth for 3 stocks since almost nothing in this game is safe unless your camping or MK on the ledge

Anyways I'm done lol I can tell when something isn't gonna get anywhere. Just vote

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Only reason I was on the bandwagon tbh was for motivation to ever enter another Brawl singles event lol.

I mean I even went kind of against the whole argument by saying l2adapt mid game. There is still adaptation in 1 stock, but it's different. It is just carried from game to game, which this already exists anyways...

Biggest reason side events don't happen is because people don't play matches asap, people take breaks, and usually people who want certain things run the most (see Hunger and Minus), would hold up the main Brawl bracket and I'm usually just like... **** it I wanna go home. Not that it's a problem to be more lax, they are locals after all...

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Don't get me wrong, I like 3 stocks too. I just enjoy arguing and defending my ideas lol.

Usually if I get entrenched in a certain opinion like this, it doesn't mean that I have a strong opinion about it. It just means that I want to defend the opinion because no one else will.

If you look back at most of the arguments I've been involved with in this thread, most of the time I'm on the "controversial" side... it doesn't mean I strongly agree with it--it just means that I like controversy lol.

As for this particular issue, I don't really care either way. When I say **** like...

I'd likely run my tournaments that way if I ever started hosting.
...I don't actually mean it... I just say stuff like that to get a lively argument going. If I ever host a tournament then I'm obviously not making singles 1 stock. That would be dumb lol. Not because 1 stock is dumb, mind you, but because half the people in IL think 1 stock is dumb. It would be inconsiderate.

Basically if you see me arguing in this thread, treat me like I'm a lawyer, not a client lol.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just enjoy arguing and defending my ideas lol.

Usually if I get entrenched in a certain opinion like this, it doesn't mean that I have a strong opinion about it. It just means that I want to defend the opinion because no one else will.

If you look back at most of the arguments I've been involved with in this thread, most of the time I'm on the "controversial" side... it doesn't mean I strongly agree with it--it just means that I like controversy lol.

As for this particular issue, I don't really care either way. When I say **** like...(stuff)...I don't actually mean it... I just say stuff like that to get a lively argument going.

Basically if you see me arguing in this thread, treat me like I'm a lawyer, not a client lol.
Seriously considering sigging this.

Like, it applies to like 99% of the 4800+ posts I've had.

Sago

Smash Lord
Okay guys I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

Melee is sucessful because of a fairly unified rulesets. Small tweaks over time, but for the most part it's been constant and survived a long time comparatively. Melee players learn learn matchups and work on improving within A foundation they know won't change.

Every other organize sport in existence keeps it's rulesets fairly static. Things do change over time but people learn to excell within the perimeters of the a rulesets they know won't change.

Brawl has been very rewarding experience for me based on the grounds that I enjoy personal growth. It's not about winning losing or placement it's about the spirit of competition and knowing that I'm making efforts too improve, and in turn improving.

If we want to have a successful community we not to stop changing the rules constantly. It hurts in and out of state attendance, and frankly is ruining the game for me. Every single thing I can think of that has a competiive community keeps a fairly static rulesets, and brawl is already hard enough to gain and keep people's interests. So why are we trying to destroy our own community. Ya'll some nerds.

:phone:

clowsui

Smash Legend
I need a list of IL attendees to VENGEANCE by monday

Tano also informs me that he made a mistake in posting and he thought that you meant IMDB, Mike, so don't hold the spots

Scythe

Smash Master
I believe a car is
Driver: Red Ryu
Riders: Me, Tom, Kain. Sago and Legan were mentioned but they haven't said anything in this thread.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Alright guys so Vengeance.

Let's stay at a hotel on Friday night. Everyone seems to be suggesting http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/ohio/...P_Local&reg=Local-_-all-_-DI-_-all&wid=local: which is a mile away from the venue and costs 80 a night, so 16 a person assuming we have 5 people with us.

We should make reservations now. Someone else has to make the reservation because I can't. Who wants to book the room?

We haven't heard from Red Ryu in a while, he's still going right?

We have one more spot in the car, if it's RR, Kain, Zwarm, and me. Who wants the 5th spot? Oro said he may want to go. We will be leaving Friday and coming back saturday night.

Arty

Smash Lord
Alright guys so Vengeance.

Let's stay at a hotel on Friday night. Everyone seems to be suggesting http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/ohio/...P_Local&reg=Local-_-all-_-DI-_-all&wid=local: which is a mile away from the venue and costs 80 a night, so 16 a person assuming we have 5 people with us.

We should make reservations now. Someone else has to make the reservation because I can't. Who wants to book the room?

We haven't heard from Red Ryu in a while, he's still going right?

We have one more spot in the car, if it's RR, Kain, Zwarm, and me. Who wants the 5th spot? Oro said he may want to go. We will be leaving Friday and coming back saturday night.
Diego was like the first to claim a spot in RR's car lol.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Lol dude. Red Ryu would have to leave at like 2 a.m. if we left Saturday morning. And we'd have to wake up at like 5. And then the tourney runs until midnight, we'd have to drive home another 6.5 hours after the tournament. And then another 3 hours for Red Ryu...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
i would not recommend having red ryu drive back on that amount of sleep... lol

from past experience
...yeah he's 100% correct here, Kenni not trolling here either wtf is that seriously. Though kudos for this Nathan. :)

I will drive but I will need help in the sense I tend to have bad habits of sleep and the wheel.

Yeah I am going and I need to figure out housing + people who are gonna be in my car when we go. Sorry for not posting here I'm trying to make sure I do well in school.

But yeah, Deigo called dibs and I said I'd give him a spot so I wanna keep my word on that to him, I'd feel bad if I went back on that.

If we are leaving Saturday night, have Oro in the car, he made it way better on the way back, I need someone who can help with me sleep problems since I have terrible habits with them and driving. I just need someone to rive if he leave that late, I wanna make sure people are safe so I need someone who can help drive in my car, as sad as I hate to admit this. I just have trouble driving without much sleep.

Yeah umm, while I do get a say I want people to help me out with picks in my car, since I feel bad if I leave people out like I did to Sago before for Michigan.

If you can help me out with this it would help me a lot.

And thanks DLA for the text, school is just being a jerk to me recently.

Also I'm doing my usual get two albums from Itunes thing before a road trip, any suggestions I wanted something from Billy Joel and someone else.

~

Also that 3 vs other stock thing people were talking about.

I've discussed it in the BBR before, if this is leaking oops, but while it makes a tournament faster in return it makes it less consistent. See the point of a tournament is to decide who is better of a player in the game. More permutations make this happen and more apparent who is the better player. More stocks = better tell of who is better since it will separate more who is better overall. Though the problem is time.

Tournaments try to compromise so both can be done well, the issue here is whether people are comfortable with the ratio which people are trying to settle on. Does 3 stock take too long, if so does 2 or 1 develop to show who is the better player? It's like asking should SF play best of 1 or not. See how finals are best of 5? Same thing for the better players people want to see who is better of the best. Same for smash, people want to try and see who is better.

You gotta balance it well.

I'll go with what people want, I prefer 3 stock and am ok with it, but if people want less I will go with it fully. Just want to state this since this was a logical argument reguarding this, since melee was referenced with 5 vs 4 stock.

Arty

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna speak for you guys since I'm not going, but the one time we went to Ohio and left Sat morning and came back Sun morning, was like the worst tournament experience ever. You need to get at least some sleep lol.

Top Bottom