• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Zwarm

Smash Hero
LMFAO you guys make it seem like ICs are easy as **** yet none of you have ever beat Lain, you guys couldn't even beat Cheese. This point of making it seem like seperating and killing Nana is easy is moot. The best player in US atm is a IC player.

My brain esploded.

But I can see where you guys are going, if you are treating it as our region and players at our tournament don't play campy or gay, then I agree 1 stock won't be that bad. But overall it is if you take into account every player from every region and the overall play of this game (campy). And the fact that some of us still have to keep up with the overall metagame that everyone will follow. I would say just try it out once I guess it's no biggy

tl;dr 1 stock might not be that bad for just IL tournies cause we don't play gay, but overall it is cause then we get used to a different metagame then everyone else. And even though we don't play certain characters, 1 stock would still have timeouts and gay characters like Olimar, IC's, and CG chars against any unviable characters would still reign supreme, especially if you take counterpicking into account

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbr4VprH-Q

Comebacks do happen

PS- Getting timed out with a short time is still gay as ****. Even though the timer is shorter, it's still stupid. Do you guys watch SFxT? Getting lamed out by Dhalsim is gay as ****. Now multiply that by like 3 cause brawl has gayer **** then Dhalsim
To be fair, I almost beat Lain when I was a bad player like 2 years ago, and I haven't played him since I've gotten better. And I didn't have to fight Cheese when he was here, but I'm pretty confident I would've beat him.

And like I said, I don't care how this ruleset affects other regions, we're the only place that matters. :)

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Whoa, DLA, I don't even care about your IC's. LOL. I was joking when I said they were free, and I apologize if it came out in a serious way. But just to put a point against your claim I beat [read: annihilated] JJ's IC's in bracket after he beat Triple R, who I hear isn't too bad at the IC's MU :awesome:

I meant that as no disrespect to you, JJ! I still love [read: hate] your IC's for beating me on RC two years ago! LOL.

But seriously, I was just pointing to FD as a CP for IC's and why it's being used against a 1-stock ruleset and saying that I, as a player who is playing with the aforementioned ruleset, would not think that a 1-stock game vs IC's on FD is so drastic that it should null the ruleset's viability.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
LOL Kappy easy dude I was kidding too. No one cares about my ICs :052:

Akashi

Smash Lord
Zwarm said:
And like I said, I don't care how this ruleset affects other regions, we're the only place that matters.
I'd like for us not to be isolated from everyone else, rules or metagame :\. Maybe you don't mind, but so far some of us have spoken up about it...

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Yo, dat Meowth finish. LOL. Those IC's are just waiting for Pay Day!

ook

Smash Lord
I tried to think of something contributing to post, to show off my new anime chick avatar, but this current topic... I don't even know, man.

1 stock seems like playing Flower Brawl, or turning team attack off. At first it sounds like it could be a good idea to make the game more interesting, until you discover the really gay side of it. But I'm all for trying new stuff.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
At first it sounds like it could be a good idea to make the game more interesting, until you discover the really gay side of it. But I'm all for trying new stuff.
What really gay side of it? The gameplay is exactly the same lol. It's not like you sprout a flower on your head that does damage to you the entire match.

:phone:

ook

Smash Lord
I don't know. We haven't discovered it yet, which is why it sounds like a good idea right about now. :grin:

But theoretically (:urg:), I'm worried about
:olimar::diddy: and other characters who do damage and camp well, but only take a few hits from a mistake to kill. I disagree with it being harder to time out than a 3-stock match. Seeing the clock ticking down puts the idea in your head that "hey there's only a couple minutes left, maybe I should just time it out instead of risking going for kills". A lot of people don't camp because 8 minutes is a long, boring time to keep it up for. But 3 minutes seems more accessable.

As well as the combo-less, non-technical, guessing nature of Brawl. I feel like it's actually better to drag out the matches to see who's more consistent. Like playing best-of-1 rock paper scissors is exciting, but I wouldn't bet my B-Dubs tip on it.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Thank you, Ook - those were points I wanted to make, but couldn't find the words for. Also work has been very busy, and I'm left too tired/stressed to argue back.
Edit: Since we're on the topic of miyazaki, my favorite is My Neighbor Totoro (nostalgic reasons - 1st anime movie I saw @ 4 yrs old, and first movie I cried to xD)
:phone:

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Well all I know is that I'm the only one here who actually has experience with 1 stock matches (because of the Ganon Gauntlet). I watched/played in over 20 sets, and not once did I see any of the "gayness" that you guys perceive for some reason.

No one even got timed out... despite Ganondorf being one of the easiest characters in the game to time out, and despite personally hearing several players go into the Ganon Gauntlet saying "I'm going to play gay as **** and try to time the Ganons out."

I mean for example, look at my match with Deltacod... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yBl4unLIC10#t=245s

This guy is a good player but he's considered by many to be one of the campiest players in the game... and that's exactly what he did against me. He spent the match throwing eggs at me, and despite Yoshi being one of Ganon's worst matchups, I still won. Wasn't even close to a timeout.

I know that's just one match, and it's Ganondorf, but still. You guys are totally theorycrafting, and you sorely underestimate how short one stock is if you think timeouts are going to be a problem (at least, more of a problem than they already are).

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Well all I know is that I'm the only one here who actually has experience with 1 stock matches (because of the Ganon Gauntlet). I watched/played in over 20 sets, and not once did I see any of the "gayness" that you guys perceive for some reason.

No one even got timed out... despite Ganondorf being one of the easiest characters in the game to time out, and despite personally hearing several players go into the Ganon Gauntlet saying "I'm going to play gay as **** and try to time the Ganons out."

I mean for example, look at my match with Deltacod... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yBl4unLIC10#t=245s

This guy is a good player but he's considered by many to be one of the campiest players in the game... and that's exactly what he did against me. He spent the match throwing eggs at me, and despite Yoshi being one of Ganon's worst matchups, I still won. Wasn't even close to a timeout.

I know that's just one match, and it's Ganondorf, but still. You guys are totally theorycrafting, and you sorely underestimate how short one stock is if you think timeouts are going to be a problem (at least, more of a problem than they already are).
Your logic is terrible dood lol. He slaughtered like 6 Ganons before you you don't think he was exhausted from ganon's running and ledge camping for 6 straight matches before you? Not to mention you seem to leave the little special rule out that if it went to timeout the Ganon automatically won so they couldn't camp you. If anything it proves that timeouts can happen if you guys almost did it numerous times in alot of your matches as ****ing ganondorf lmao

Fail

Akashi

Smash Lord
DLA said:
:/ Are you trying to use those matches as an unbiased sample size? The matches were only against Ganons... so you can't say diversity was there (except against your opponent); and as Kain mentioned, timing out was impossible.

Also, I SWEAR this isn't supposed to be rude or offensive, so don't take it as such - you already admitted you want to try 1 stock because it benefits Ganon, don't you think you're being a little too biased in your side of the argument? I don't feel like you play devil's advocate whenever you think of a point, but that's just my opinion. Same point to Zwarm and his Squirtle. Once again, I'm not calling either of you out <.<

Zwarm

Smash Hero
That wasn't my main reason, I was just kidding about the Squirtle thing. I want to try out 1-stock matches because for whatever reason, my first stock against someone is always really good for me, then I fall apart the longer the match goes. I lose concentration and start autopiloting and playing stupid and lose good leads because of it.

Edit: Direct quote from Kain "You seem to have roadblocks in your mind that keep you from being able to perform well, and the fact that you let momentum dictate how your going to play. You need to learn to get around those things."

Well I can't get around that ****, so let there be no momentum in a match!

Akashi

Smash Lord
Well, you went from one biased reason to another... so my point still stands. If we want to implement anything, I feel like our hearts should be for our community first, and our own wants and needs second. That's all =/

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Well, you went from one biased reason to another... so my point still stands. If we want to implement anything, I feel like our hearts should be for our community first, and our own wants and needs second. That's all =/
We're not changing the world here, we're trying out a new ruleset... Who cares if I have my own reasons for wanting to try it? Us supporting a ruleset because we have personal reasons to try it out shouldn't be a reason for us to not try it anyway. How are our hearts thinking about a community gonna do anything? You can't tell me the group of non-MK mains who banned MK were thinking about the community before their own needs and wants.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Zwarm said:
How are our hearts thinking about a community gonna do anything?
You can't say things such as not caring what other regions do before yours, and then question why you said it. You said that earlier because you value our traditions, and because you care about what happens here first, rather than the aftermath of something universal (unity ruleset). Also,

Us supporting a ruleset because we have personal reasons to try it out shouldn't be a reason for us to not try it anyway.
I never said that, but rather I said that should come second.

You can't tell me the group of non-MK mains who banned MK were thinking about the community before their own needs and wants.
Not that it matters much, but I was.

Akashi

Smash Lord
And I STILL feel Meneil's second post is the most resolve you can get. Only a few of us are arguing... more people are coming everyday. This should be a vote for our entire community, and not something that'll be implemented on short notice.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can't say things such as not caring what other regions do before yours, and then question why you said it. You said that earlier because you value our traditions, and because you care about what happens here first, rather than the aftermath of something universal (unity ruleset). Also,

I never said that, but rather I said that should come second.

Not that it matters much, but I was.
You're telling me you honestly believe every single person in the URC was 100% thinking about the community? lol

I don't think morals should be an argument here anyway... if you give me a solid gameplay argument, I'll reconsider, but trying to guilt trip me is not gonna do anything to change my mind.

also i have no idea what you mean with that first paragraph.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Well then say it's basically changing the rules for your own benefit and be done with it. Because overall other people have shown they are skeptical of it (Red Ryu, Akashi, Meneil, Ook, me, prolly some others that haven't said anything or don't come in these forums, I could text Sago and see how he feels along with Legan) and argued against it while it's just you and DLA basically saying you want to try it cause it benefits you in some way

Why completely go against what the majority wants and maybe not just try it out as a side event to see how it actually plays out first instead of speculate

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Thank you for actually being clear about it, Kain. That made more sense to me than anything else since this argument started.

However, Quik was the one who suggested it, so he seemed interested. Oro showed interest, so did Kappy. DLA and I are not the only ones on this side of this. It's closer to 50/50 than anything.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Lol go ahead and call me out, I'm too c0cky anyways, I should be knocked down a peg every once in a while

But I'm not biased about this... in fact my entire argument has been that 1 stock gameplay is exactly the same as 3 stock gameplay, except it's less tedious. Seriously look at my last, like, 6 posts. You guys are the ones going on about how different it is. Don't blow up my last post because I mentioned the Ganon gauntlet lol.

Besides you guys don't even acknowledge me as a Ganon main anyways. Why would I be arguing in terms of how Ganondorf benefits from it if I don't even main him according to you dinguses?:awesome:

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Because it does change, the level of adaptability changes drastically. Instead of picking up on habits after one stock, it's now after one game, which is a bigger consequence to the player who lost. Counterpicking becomes implemented more. Timer becomes more noticeable because it's less time + your forced to play more cautiously cause it's one stock. You pay more for your mistakes in a 1 stock match

Your post about Ganon got blown up cause you keep trying to reference it into your view about how 1 stock matches are played out when it's a horrible example. You had special rules in place, you guys almost timed people out as Ganondorf, camped more because if you timed someone out you won. It works against you and shows exactly what I'm trying to say. 1 stock= more camping, more trying to time out

I can understand if you guys are trying to do it for faster tournaments or w/e, but it just seems like you guys want it for your own benefit (least the ones who are arguing). Why do the rules have to be constantly changed over and over? Already 4 years into the game. Why keep trying to change things to benefit yourselves? If so ban CGs so I don't have to worry about that **** cause it's gay and I don't like it and it makes things less tedious for me and I don't want to deal with it and I don't like to adapt to it or play against it and I think it makes the game more enjoyable and etc

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I also want it to do it for faster tournaments. We never have side Brawl tournaments because we use the setups the entire night. Just for once I'd like to be able to try AllBrawl or actually get a Minus tournament going for once.

I already said that as one of my reasons, but you guys are focusing on my other reasons.

Top Bottom