• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Everyone should have an equal chance to do the things that they want to do. Just because you may not be AS GOOD as our PR players doesn't warrant you having to give your seat up. DLA was just harsh in his first post about it. I understand his 2nd post of maybe people who don't really want to go giving up there spot which he worded better. I'm all for the repping for IL, which is mostly why I want to go, cause I don't think I'm gonna win I just want people to respect that were good and give us credit. In the end if someone is sacrificing their fun for me I don't like it lol. Both arguements are right in a sense but it's just not my nature to take something from someone unless they are really willing to give it up and have 100% no problem with it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Everyone should have an equal chance to do the things that they want to do. Just because you may not be AS GOOD as our PR players doesn't warrant you having to give your seat up. DLA was just harsh in his first post about it. I understand his 2nd post of maybe people who don't really want to go giving up there spot which he worded better. I'm all for the repping for IL, which is mostly why I want to go, cause I don't think I'm gonna win I just want people to respect that were good and give us credit. In the end if someone is sacrificing their fun for me I don't like it lol. Both arguements are right in a sense but it's just not my nature to take something from someone unless they are really willing to give it up and have 100% no problem with it.
This. 100x this. I think it's stupid and wrong for someone to give up their seat because they aren't "good", but if people were iffy about going, it would be to IL's benefit for them to give up their seat. I'm not against repping IL, but it's wrong if we need to cut people unnecessarily to do it.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yeah MW Brawl kind of is a joke. We probably only have 2 or 3 players in the top 25 in the nation, without counting M2K obviously. And that's pushing it.

edit: since when does arty's snake, or people's anime watching habits have anything to do with how good we are at brawl? I never insult IL's brawl skill.
MW Brawl really never is/was a joke. That would imply that our top players are behind the metagame curve, but realistically, there are a lot of MW players that can and do beat national threats. That is a huge difference between realistically not having anyone who can even compete. Do I really need to name off players active and inactive who have taken sets off of good players or placed nationally?

Making fun of IL in any way for anything realistically doesn't help your case. People's perception of you is based on more than how you perform in a competetive party game.
Guys, MN had 7 people in YoshQ's car... to MAS. A monthly two states away.

How about instead of dropping people, we just ****ing pile em in. DLA, does your van go all the way to the back?
That sounds more like a last ditch effort, and some people, myself included, don't feel that this tournament, or any tournament, is worth 7 hours of discomfort with like 12 people in a van.
You are going to take my spot and like it if we don't get another car or something Kain! Stop fighting it~!

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
He's saying you don't help our state look any better by saying those things, even if they aren't Brawl, it still saying something about our players, who according to you are all crying weaboos.

And I quote:
"DLA wrote at 3:05 AM on Dec 29, 2010 :
if you think that's bad, never move to IL. all they talk about is watching anime that makes them cry."
Oh come on, that's taken way out of context. And it doesn't even matter anyways. I'm trying to get IL rep as a good Brawl state. IDGAF if everyone thinks of IL as a state with a lot of weeaboos. Especially considering how much everyone actually talks about anime.

You are going to take my spot and like it if we don't get another car or something Kain! Stop fighting it~!
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to give your spot up to Kain?

edit: I am not stuffing 12 people in my van lol.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Oh come on, that's taken way out of context. And it doesn't even matter anyways. I'm trying to get IL rep as a good Brawl state. IDGAF if everyone thinks of IL as a state with a lot of weeaboos. Especially considering how much everyone actually talks about anime.
Nipaa ~

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to give your spot up to Kain?
A multitude of reasons.

I won't die if I don't go to this. I am actually looking more forward to a Melee monthly next weekend.

Kain is better than me. He would have a much better chance of actually doing something.

More people in the Brawl community know Kain and would want to chill with him. I don't think anyone knows me LOL!

Kain is the homie.

This isn't saying I don't want to go, but the idea of him not going while I am irks me.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Kain is better than me. He would have a much better chance of actually doing something.

More people in the Brawl community know Kain and would want to chill with him. I don't think anyone knows me LOL!

This isn't saying I don't want to go, but the idea of him not going while I am irks me.
See, these reasons are what I was trying to get at with my first few posts. I'm not trying to make any assumptions or anything, but would I be wrong to say that you would be much less inclined to give up your spot for someone who isn't ranked? Not because you like them less, but because Kain would represent IL better.

I wasn't trying to say that we should actively trim people from the 2 remaining cars, by picking them out and saying "you can't go"... I was saying that we should all collectively try to trim our 2 cars by having each individual person ask themselves if there's someone who can represent IL Brawl better that deserves the spot instead.

That's all I'm sayin :c Bedtime for me.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Kyle, you're so generous :). that's why I'll always <3 you

In other, non drama news - I just spent an hour and half practicing tech skill with marth, GET AT ME! Tomorrow I'll be practicing alllll before work XD. I finally learned how to QUICKLY pivot fsmash, so I got me a new trick against wario ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjRT5tRfaIE&feature=related @ 1:06

At first I knew how to pivot fsmash, but Leon does it so quickly that it looks like he's doing a stutter step. I figured out the trick on quickening my reaction though :<.

tl;dr: Playing Marth makes me happy. I need to warm up Snake though!

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The difference Tom is that I do more than just Brawl. There are people that haven't been to something in months, or have never been to a regional/national level tournament before. I have had the pleasure to for both Melee and Brawl.

To be quite honest, outside of Arty/Kain, I don't really think anyone "needs to rep IL". Everyone knows how good they are and have expectations of them. Maybe Quik too since he used to be up there before he stopped showing up to everything.

The point is, there is no right to go to a smash tournament in Ohio. The only people who can really for sure lay claims to going would be the drivers. Everyone else has their own motives for going and really no one reason would be better than another.

My personal reasons/beliefs don't reflect the whole. Try to see things from another perspective.

@Tano, is that the fox trot reverse stutter step tipper?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Well, looks like I can give up my spot then. I'm just a weeabo who crys at everything anyway. Your words do hurt oh so much~

But seriously, in the likely event we can't secure another means of transportation, I'm more than willing to offer my spot. Wasn't feeling so into it the past few weeks, and would be more fair for someone else who wants to go.

~~~~

clowsui

Smash Legend
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Yeah MW Brawl kind of is a joke. We probably only have 2 or 3 players in the top 25 in the nation, without counting M2K obviously. And that's pushing it.

edit: since when does arty's snake, or people's anime watching habits have anything to do with how good we are at brawl? I never insult IL's brawl skill.
I hope you realize that MW brawl is a joke largely due to population density, lol

Ohio/IL/MI are pretty densely populated, so they're naturally prone to being more competitive (even though MI has been slacking lately, but now they're experiencing a semi-revival) and having a lot of better players than the rest of the Midwest. Unfortunately, we struggle at the national level because we can't travel to them as often + others don't travel to us often enough, and our top regional threats can't get together on a consistent basis (consistent as in like...once every month or two months, at LEAST).

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
I can understand what both sides are trying to say. Though I think you guys could have worded it better lol.

That being said, I'm willing to give my spot up for someone ranked/better just because I want to see IL do well...wishful thinking I know. That's just me however, and I hope my choice doesn't discourage anyone else from going! :colorful:

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Whoa man, **** got hardcore. Well, if you're not willing to pile people in, anyone that's willing to pile in / trunk it up with me is welcome. We can take rotations if need be.

it got intense in here quick

2 am excitement
I love you King.

*Edit* We're meeting at Jared's if you're in my car.

7719 W. Balmoral Ave.

I live right off the Harlem blue line (the one by O'Hare, not by Forest Park).
Should be there around 2 am, I'll let you know.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....677068&sspn=43.848534,107.138672&ie=UTF8&z=7

Assuming 40 minutes of complications, which is a lot for the AMs, that still gets us there around 9 am (Ohio is EST, remember.)

Then we leave after the tournament is over, which we can assume will be... oh, 10 pm. 6 hour drive back to Chi, we gain an hour, so it'll be about 3 am CST, assuming we don't stop anywhere to eat (We should stop somewhere to eat.) like last time. Then I'm back by 7 am, enough time to go to sleep, then work Monday at 4! Yaaaay. 804 miles, though 200 of those are solo.

My car gets 25 mpg highway( D: ), though I'm using some fuel injection cleaner, so it might be slightly better, but that's what we're going to estimate on. 650 miles (I'm only charging you guys for 50 of my 200 solo miles) / 25 mpg = 26 gallons, at 3 dollars a gallon, is $78 in gas, split between everyone in the car, myself included. So, assuming 5 people, that's $15 bucks for gas each.

Nothing is solid, anything can change, but that's the way it's looking for my car. Plan on $15 for gas.

*edit 2!* If you claim the trunk, I'll accommodate you as well as I can. Gas will be like, $5 for you, and I'll get you **** like a pillow and what not. Please note, if we rotate, you're still paying $15.

Arty

Smash Lord
Damn, some serious drama!

Gave me something to read at work though :colorful:

Jordan, who is actually confirmed in your car besides Jared? King is in Ohio and Kirk and Norm are both 50-50.

:confused:

Hopefully Norm or someone drives though :(

Edit: How much does renting a car actually cost? If it's cheap, i'd be willing to do it. I could also drive some of the way there, and I'm sure others could to.

Actually I'll just do some of the research now lol.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Damn, some serious drama!

Gave me something to read at work though :colorful:

Jordan, who is actually confirmed in your car besides Jared? King is in Ohio and Kirk and Norm are both 50-50.

:confused:

Hopefully Norm or someone drives though :(

Edit: How much does renting a car actually cost? If it's cheap, i'd be willing to do it. I could also drive some of the way there, and I'm sure others could to.

Actually I'll just do some of the research now lol.
Jared is the only one confirmed. But since Sago's car is gone, and DLA is only doing a max of 8 people, mine is just the most reasonable. Also, car's don't cost too much, you just have to be 25 and most of the time they have a limit to distance you can drive it before getting charged again, no matter the length of time.

Arty

Smash Lord
Every Enterprise location charges like $50 extra if you're under 25.

The sedans are $20 a day and the trucks/SUVs are too high lol ($75 - $80)

We would also have to pick up the car Friday and drop it off Monday since they're closed on Sunday.

Insurance bought might factor in too?

This seems a little too pricy lol, as with gas it would be about $45-$60 a person (split 5 ways) not counting insurance :(

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
sigh i guess i can ask about taking my mom's car but if do take it i really wouldn't want to drive out to people's houses sense most of you live north(eastish) of me. meaning i could take the poeple sago was going to if arty wants to drive out here... IF i can drive my mom's car.. and i don't exactly want to pay for a hotel or any of that unless someone wants to pay for me even though i hate the thought of driving straight there and then driving straight back iunno i'll talk to you guys more on skype later or something.

Scythe

Smash Master
sigh i guess i can ask about taking my mom's car but if do take it i really wouldn't want to drive out to people's houses sense most of you live north(eastish) of me. meaning i could take the poeple sago was going to if arty wants to drive out here... IF i can drive my mom's car.. and i don't exactly want to pay for a hotel or any of that unless someone wants to pay for me even though i hate the thought of driving straight there and then driving straight back iunno i'll talk to you guys more on skype later or something.
I"m sure Arthur can drive us to your house. and we were all planning on leaving early morning sat and leaving after the tourney. I'm sure Sam wouldn't mind driving. (that's if he's still going)

Kirk

Smash Champion
Someone should remake the list of cars/people who are going, minus sagos car and minus people who said they'd give up spots...just incase it were to come to that.

Just sayin.

Arty

Smash Lord
Well right now we got

DLA's car
DLA
Vare
Oro
Corms
TWSS
Akashi
Meneil
Xyless

Sponge's Car
Sponge
Jared

If Norm can take the van, it would add Norm/me/Andrew/Diego/Sago/Kain

so I'm guessing we can add Sponge and Jared to the van too bc that would total 8 and it would save gas for everyone?

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Well right now we got

DLA's car
DLA
Vare
Oro
Corms
TWSS
Akashi
Meneil
Xyless

Sponge's Car
Sponge
Jared

If Norm can take the van, it would add Norm/me/Andrew/Diego/Sago/Kain

so I'm guessing we can add Sponge and Jared to the van too bc that would total 8 and it would save gas for everyone?
That would be so great :D

Akashi

Smash Lord
@Tano, is that the fox trot reverse stutter step tipper?
Aye, that's it. I reason why I started to figure out the timing (if you look at Leon, his dash is SO short) is because I added an input. If you're looking left, then I used to do this:

Dash left, dash left+hit right on the c-stick.

^ Doing that will immediately interrupt your 2nd dash and turn you around. But for some reason, everytime I did that it was too slow. So I added an input:

Dash left, dash left + stutter right WITHOUT moving (you basically just flick your controller again, so it's not a true stutter step), then fsmash.

^ That allows me to act out of dash by reaction, instead of doing a buffer. Idk how to exactly explain it outside it makes reacting to a grab release MUCH easier. I can fsmash tipper Wario like 1 out of 10 times now, instead of the usual 1 out of 20 or more. It's hard! But I want to get good with Marth so badly xD

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

I hope you realize that MW brawl is a joke largely due to population density, lol

Ohio/IL/MI are pretty densely populated, so they're naturally prone to being more competitive (even though MI has been slacking lately, but now they're experiencing a semi-revival) and having a lot of better players than the rest of the Midwest. Unfortunately, we struggle at the national level because we can't travel to them as often + others don't travel to us often enough, and our top regional threats can't get together on a consistent basis (consistent as in like...once every month or two months, at LEAST).
Yeah, I'm not saying all MW players are innately bad at brawl lol. Our top players just don't get enough practice against other top players, because of the reasons you listed.

That makes me sad though because Chicago is the most densely populated area in the MW, but we're still not the best MW state. :c

Top Bottom