• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Quik17

Smash Ace
The DKs are partying in the middle of that list!

Also, I agree with Hunger. ChitownWolf should have been #1, but he doesn't go to tournies. Kain probably has him locked up somewhere.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
lol at the comments on my matches. But yeah, Nichole is legit, she took a game off Affinity too. She almost won the set against him but she suicided. She also took a game off lain, and should have won the set. She was at 30% and lain was at 160% last stock, and she missed the ledge. And future, she is not from St. Louis. No one from St. Louis has ever beat me in a set (except Legan about a year ago).

Looks like I have another PR to complain about. I realize my placings have been really sub par (gr Nichole). But why is DLA and Ripple above me? I don't think I've ever lost a game to either, and my places are always equal or higher. And why is Quik even on this list? He hates brawl, refuses to travel, and only plays at smashfest lol. And how is Arty getting 5th at a 30 person tournament better than Kain getting 2nd at a 60 person tournament?

I got a 1 seed out of 9 players in my pool at HD. Chewy was in my pool too and got a 3 seed.

and when is the next Chicago tournament? I might come we could get the whole PR at a tournament XD

Arty

Smash Lord
You've never outplaced Ripple in a tournament, quit you're lying. You beat him in one MM, but his tourney performance overall is much better.
I'm not even gonna respond to the Quik statement cause it's extremely ********
I'm above Kain b/c I've outplaced/tied every IL smasher in every tournament including Kain twice, and have beaten him
The only valid point you have is DLA, and you, DLA, and Akashi were all very close, but aside from you beating him, he's beaten better people than you.

**** it, I'm going to sleep, I'm done responding to trolls

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
zoze, why do you complain so much? you're lucky to be on this list. if BC and I hadnt quit, odds are you wouldnt be.

also, brawl is dying in IL. with the departure of me and BC, i believe ripple quit(?), and chewy may soon be quitting, that will be 4/10 ranked players in IL.
WE SHOULD BAN MK AND GET THE TOURNAMENT SCENE OFF OF ITS ***. i wouldnt quit if i didnt have to deal with being timed out, air camped, planked, unable to counterpick and just overall gayed.
eliminate MK and this becomes a completely different game. lets set a ****ing precedent.

i know part of it is just that brawl sucks, as high level players we should all know, but can you imagine how many people would be willing to attend MK free tournaments? alot.

and i know MKs dont dominate the midwest, but they do ruin the game. its not that i cant beat MK's, its just that playing them really, really ruins the game for me. if it ruins the game for players like BC, chewy and I, think about how it is for lower level players. they go to one or two tournaments, experience brawl at its absolute gayest, and never come again.

just sayin, a ban might bring life back to a dying game.

EDIT: MK has no bad MU's and breaks the CP'ing system.

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
now now, relax guys...isn't zoze's discontent with the PR list as predictable as to when he's about to use tornado? lol jk zoze is cool stuff

but in all seriousness, the last update was back in october so there are a lot of tournaments to be considered. arty has been placing the highest consistently so it's a given that he'd be #1.

ps - brawl is doing just fine in Chicago. regardless whether or not MK is banned, it'd be nice if you guys kept playing :(

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I got the 3 seed? I tied with mjg~~~~
Lol sorry Chewy, I didn't mean to bash you or anything. But I was proud of a 1 seed in pools. Only like 4 people get those :p. And honestly, sometimes pools are more accurate to test skill than bracket because it test consistency. But there are no 2 way ties in pools right.....? It's whoever had the least losses, then most wins. If those are all tied, then it's down to who won the set between the two players (maybe not in that order exactly). But they had you at a rank 3.

----------------------------------------------------------

So I just spent an hour looking at results from all the tournaments. I guess I can agree with this PR... it's just weird seeing Gannon, DK's, Wolfs... all ahead of me lol. I don't understand how you guys do it. I didn't realize the Aerial Rave where Ripple almost beat Lain was on this PR. I'm fine being placed well below anyone who can go even with lain lol.

As for DLA, pleaseee play a new character lol. It's embarrassing having a Gannon main that high on the PR lol! Your placings were pretty legit though.

It's really hard to compare skill level of upper (but not top) level players. The tournament results really come down to "who ran into Lain/Domo/Arty/Fatboy first?"

I think in money matches I'll do pretty well against most of the PR though. IL doesn't have much MK experience and most of the characters get wrecked by tornado. I suck at the MK ditto too though. That's where most of my tournament losses come from. I'm studying it right now though.

lolwut? The first smashfest I've ever seen him at was the Kirk's that you just happened to be at.
What are you talking about? Chicago is very far away from me, and very close to Quik.

WE SHOULD BAN MK AND GET THE TOURNAMENT SCENE OFF OF ITS ***. i wouldnt quit if i didnt have to deal with being timed out, air camped, planked, unable to counterpick and just overall gayed.

EDIT: MK has no bad MU's and breaks the CP'ing system.
What are you talking about Deez? When do you ever play metaknights?? Rob and I are the only MKs in IL. And other MK's are 6+ hours away from you (Affinity, Domo, Sago, M2K).

You seem to think that banning MK would make everyone "LOVE" brawl and no one would quit. If MK was banned, I would quit and Rob would quit. Maybe others in IL too? But remember that IL doesn't have many MKs. If you tried to ban MK in other areas like Ohio, you would lose 40% of the players.

And like you said, MKs don't place well in the Midwest anyway. Plus, you play Diddy! lol. That match up is even, and many (M2K included) argue that it's actually in Diddy's favor.

But I know what you mean. Honestly, I'm really not scared to play any character other than MK (and decent Wario's). If someone other than MK beats me, they better be REALLY freakin good. I know the Diddy, G&W, Snake, and Kirby match ups EXTREMELY well. And everyone else I can Tornado spam and camp against.

Honestly, its sad, but MK really does wreck 90% of the cast. You really need a secondary if you want to play him and it be enjoyable. But it's not uncommon for a top tier to wreck 90% of the cast. That's why they are top tier. You really have to pick up MK, Diddy, Snake, or Wario.

My favorite thread on my MK shouldn't be banned: Short and simple
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262491

Best thread on why MK shouldn't be banned: Long
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263145

Quik17

Smash Ace
So I just spent an hour looking at results from all the tournaments. I guess I can agree with this PR
Impossible! There has to be something you can complain about!

What are you talking about? Chicago is very far away from me, and very close to Quik.
He was referring to the random statement you made that I ONLY play at smashfests when the only smashfest I was ever at in like the last 5 months was the one you were at too.

But yeah, I'm fine with MK, but maybe it's because I play Wario... I never had the joyful experience of getting tornado spammed constantly as DK or Ganon.
Mk doesn't seem broken to me though, he's just very popular cause he's so easy to use, so that's why you see a lot of them at tournies. Most of them are pretty bad anyways.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
either i'm done or I'm going to main PT and have fun at tourny's. I don't know yet

chewyy

Smash Ace
Lol sorry Chewy, I didn't mean to bash you or anything. But I was proud of a 1 seed in pools. Only like 4 people get those :p. And honestly, sometimes pools are more accurate to test skill than bracket because it test consistency. But there are no 2 way ties in pools right.....? It's whoever had the least losses, then most wins. If those are all tied, then it's down to who won the set between the two players (maybe not in that order exactly). But they had you at a rank 3.
Yeah, that's true, but each set was only 2 games, remember? mjg and I 1-1 each other and we had the same record. I was wondering how they were going to split us, but then I realized I was hungry and went to steak and shake, lol. I never bothered to check with seed I got, lol.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
So I just spent an hour looking at results from all the tournaments. I guess I can agree with this PR... it's just weird seeing Gannon, DK's, Wolfs... all ahead of me lol. I don't understand how you guys do it. I didn't realize the Aerial Rave where Ripple almost beat Lain was on this PR. I'm fine being placed well below anyone who can go even with lain lol.

As for DLA, pleaseee play a new character lol. It's embarrassing having a Gannon main that high on the PR lol! Your placings were pretty legit though.

It's really hard to compare skill level of upper (but not top) level players. The tournament results really come down to "who ran into Lain/Domo/Arty/Fatboy first?"

I think in money matches I'll do pretty well against most of the PR though. IL doesn't have much MK experience and most of the characters get wrecked by tornado. I suck at the MK ditto too though. That's where most of my tournament losses come from. I'm studying it right now though.
Uhh dude, you do realize that DLA is probably the highest placing Ganon in the world right now? Why would he ever want to stop playing a character that he places so high with? You have to realize that people in IL aren't tier whores, that's why you and Rob are the only MK's in the state. When/if MK is banned, we're going to be much better off in terms of match-up experience, because we have a wide variety of characters, instead of just the high tiers.

chewyy

Smash Ace
Uhh dude, you do realize that DLA is probably the highest placing Ganon in the world right now? Why would he ever want to stop playing a character that he places so high with? You have to realize that people in IL aren't tier whores, that's why you and Rob are the only MK's in the state. When/if MK is banned, we're going to be much better off in terms of match-up experience, because we have a wide variety of characters, instead of just the high tiers.
you do realize how bad ganon is? I'm pretty sure DLA could pick up another character and be better with that character...

Btw, I think I might pick up MK.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
you do realize how bad ganon is? I'm pretty sure DLA could pick up another character and be better with that character...

Btw, I think I might pick up MK.
I'd rather play characters I like, not top tiers. I'm sure since DLA plays Ganon, he has the same idea. Plus, he has DK, and he plays MK too, he just mains Ganon.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
either i'm done or I'm going to main PT and have fun at tourny's. I don't know yet
Don't give up on DK. The MK match up seriously isn't THAT bad. Theres some stuff that you need to work on though. After sharing all the secrets I'm about to tell you, it will make it much harder for Rob and I to beat the DKs in the area. But we're all crew so I'm going share what I know. Ook already knows most of this, but there might be some new stuff.

This is really just "how to beat Rob and Zoze" with DK lol. I don't know if other MKs play the match up like we do. But it would be useful to know anyway.

Beating the Tornado!

Ok.. so this is pretty tough. If we started the match and I told you that the first thing i was going to do is try to hit you with a tornado, then you have about a 70% of me landing it. No matter what you do. However, you're DK and you can afford a little extra tornado damage. The big thing is when it lands to just relax. Try to remember when he used it (like what position you both were in). Most MKs have a favorite situation to use tornado in, and if you know it, you can predict it (and you have a small chance of punishing it lol).

Starting tornado from the ground is usually pretty stupid with MK. If they start it from the ground, then all of your tilts and all of your smashes beat it). They won't just walk up to you and tornado. If they use a grounded tornado, it's usually when you are very close to them and you shield. Tornado punishes DKs shield if your close.

So the best approach with tornado is to start it in the air, just high enough so that DKs ftilt won't hit MK. If you look at the spacing, you'll know when your ftilt will hit or miss. If it will probably miss, UTILT!!! It's not as easy to land as DDD's Utilt because it has less range, but if you work on the spacing/timing then you can get it down. You have to Utilt the Nado just before it hits you. Ook can Utilt me out of it about 50% when i approach from the air with Nado.

To beat this, I fake it sometime. I move near DK, stop, wait for the Utilt to wiff, then move in with Nado. But I wouldn't worry about that too much. You won't take nearly as much damage because I took so long to hit you with it.

If you get caught in Tornado, watch what they do as a follow up. Some MKs will chase you with aerials. I usually try to tornado again as you land lol. If they are doing that, DON'T dodge into the ground! Fall back to the stage but don't use your double jump. I will start up the Nado in hopes that you will dodge into. Instead just use your double jump to get away. When this happens, I'm scared! You can follow above the Nado in the air and wait for it to end and punish with whatever. It's still hard to punish Nado lag obviously, but when you do it hurts! And it will discourage MK's from using tornado again.

Another option after you get hit with Nado is to DI too the ledge. Don't use your double jump if you want to go for ledge. We will probably try to SL you. So when you get in SL range, dodge off the stage and UpB onto it. UpB off the Ledge is a great option against MK (probably every character). I know sometimes it auto cancels the lag. Is that random? Or is there a certain height? I get hit by the UpB off the ledge into Dsmash all the time :(.

If MK tornados your shield and they are going to have to retreat, then just let go of your shield and follow them when they do. You can't get there in time to punish their tornado, but you can punish what they do after they land. Most MKs will side step out of habit when a character chases their tornado. If thats the case, then Side B them. I usually roll away. If they do that, then just run past them, wait for the roll, and grab. Just watch what they normally do afterward, and they will probably do it again next time. Everything he does can be punished if you can predict it.

Spacing is a huge deal for Tornado. It doesn't seem like it because it moves across the stage, but I really have to zone DK before I can start it up. Usually I air camp outside of your bair range and wait for a Tornado option. DK can really throw off my zoning just by walking back and forth slowly. I call it doing the Ook lol. Only do this if you have stage control obviously (like MK is near the ledge air camping, and you are near the center). It gives you the option of bair, which keeps me away from you, but it also give you the option to run away when I start the tornado. By the time my Tornado would catch up to you, it would be about to end, and you could punish. Especially if you had stage control because I don't have a lot of space to run away with.

If I start the tornado and realize I can't shield poke and I don't have enough space (or time left) to retreat with the tornado; then I usually fake a retreat. I'll move off your shield, and move back on it in hopes that you dropped your shield trying to chase me. Don't fall for that. If I don't have much time to retreat or very much space, the just drop your shield and walk slowly towards me. Be ready to put your shield back up. Even if I run away, you should still be able to get there (or at least punish my side step).

I'm sure theres more I could say about the Tornado. Everyone accuses it of being nooby, but it's actually a pretty deep move. Just relax and don't get frustrated and you'll figure more stuff out.

After MK starts the Tornado in the air, after about 1/2 a second it moves down a little. Then I can make it move up again by pressing B faster. But thats another reason why "Ook walking" is pretty good. I start my tornado high enough so that I'm above the ftilt, but when you walk away away a little, and I decided to chase you... MK's tornado moves down into your ftilt range. So just walk away and ftilt behind you.

May you could cool stuff like short hopping away and reverse DK punching the Nado?!?!

Other tricks!!

If MK ground SLs your shield and tries to glide attack you on the way back, you can drop your shield and Dsmash. Only a really nooby MK who doesn't know the match up would try to hit you with the glide attack. If you think they are going to cancel it and land outside of your Dsmash ranged, then run towards them and Usmash. They should cancel their glide right into your Usmash lol. The crowd will go nuts if you call them on that. You might just be able to drop your shield and Fsmash too.

I guess DK's grounded UpB could be useful against very aggressive MKs who approach from the ground. But if they are a jumpy MK like me and Rob, don't use this move. I wouldn't use Down B either unless it's after a Dtilt trip or something.

The best way I've found to edge guard MK if you grab the ledge, drop below it, and SL when you UpB towards the stage. See if you can think of a way around this. Can you "fake" coming in with the UpB? Like start the UpB, move in slightly, and wait for us to wiff the SL. The DI toward the stage. I don't know how much maneuverability you DKs have with that UpB thing.

edit: Oh, and since I told you all this, I'll probably try to punish you for it lol. Like after I tornado you, I won't start the torando and I'll wait for you to double jump, then combo lol. But if you think I might do that then just dodge into the ground and land. It's all just a big mind game.

MJG

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's true, but each set was only 2 games, remember? mjg and I 1-1 each other and we had the same record. I was wondering how they were going to split us, but then I realized I was hungry and went to steak and shake, lol. I never bothered to check with seed I got, lol.
I didn't take pools seriously really...I split with yink in the pool but then when we found out that she wouldn't make it out of pools, we agreed to play and it was 2-0.

DLA is the ****

chewyy

Smash Ace
I didn't take pools seriously really...I split with yink in the pool but then when we found out that she wouldn't make it out of pools, we agreed to play and it was 2-0.

DLA is the ****
gotchya. Yeah, I usually just get match up experience in pools, lol. Like when I tried D3 against you to see how it'd work. idc, I was just wondering how it was decided. :p

But yeah, 2 game system makes too many ties, IMO. Or at least leaves room for too many ties. (6 min?) 2 stock best of 3 is better and the same length, if not faster.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Just for the record... for the past 3 or 4 tournaments, I've been pretty much 100% Ganon (I went DK for one game at Hot Dickings, but that's it). So as much as I like the 3 DKs in a row, I'd really rather be listed only as Ganon XD

Anyways, if anyone is embarrassed about having a Ganon in the PRs, you gotta step it up son! That is all.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
You can't beat anyone with Gannon that I can't beat. I'm not sure your Gannon is better than anyone on this list.

Not because you're a bad player, but because gannon is BAD. Like I could Tornado for 8 min straight, not use any other move, and beat you on damage. Or not use any tornado. Actually, same goes or just about any of MKs move. Win with only Dair. Or Fair. Or shuttle loop.

You may have decent tournament results with him because of easy brackets or whatever (and you use DK against good players), but I'm pretty sure everyone on this list is better than your Gannon skill wise.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
How often do you watch my Ganon, especially in tournament matches when I'm not sandbagging? You've only fought my Ganon twice, and both times I didn't really give a crap. Why would I bother straining myself in a friendly against an MK who spams tornado against a Ganon?

Therefore, I find it pretty insulting when you assume that you're better than me simply because you play MK and I play Ganon. How else could you assume it when you know so little about my Ganon?

Quik17

Smash Ace
You can't beat anyone with Gannon that I can't beat. I'm not sure your Gannon is better than anyone on this list.
Don't be so cocky, DLA's Ganon is legit as hell. I think he beat YoshQ (best Luigi in the MW) and Wafles with Ganon in tourney. After playing your MK like a dozen times, I doubt you'd be able to beat those players.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Don't be so cocky, DLA's Ganon is legit as hell. I think he beat YoshQ (best Luigi in the MW) and Wafles with Ganon in tourney. After playing your MK like a dozen times, I doubt you'd be able to beat those players.
lol seriously? What in the world. I don't understand. Gannon is SOO bad lol. Not a set though right? Did they just commit suicide 3 times? hehe. I'd like to see tournament results of DLA knocking one of them out of bracket. (and the list is miles long of people I can beat with MK that there's no way he can beat with Gannon)

Rank him as strictly Gannon and say that he is better than me on the PR is nuts. Saying that he is better than anyone with strictly Gannon is nuts...

I know DLA's DK is pretty legit though.

Wairo is my worst match up (and really good MKs). I'm getting better at them though. I don't know anything about Wafles and YoshQ. Luigi does terriable against MK though. He dies to tornado, lacks range, gets juggled easily, and I can gimp him every stock. I 3 stock crashes Luigi every game.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I knocked you out of winners at smashin' through the snow?
Yeah you beat my DK, not my Ganon. I realized afterwards that I should have used Ganon instead, since he's my best character.

lol seriously? What in the world. I don't understand. Gannon is SOO bad lol. Not a set though right? Did they just commit suicide 3 times? hehe. I'd like to see tournament results of DLA knocking one of them out of bracket. (and this list is miles long of ppl I can beat with MK that there's no way he can beat with Gannon)

Rank him as strictly Gannon and say that he is better than me on the PR is nuts. Saying that he is better than anyone with strictly Gannon is nuts...

I know DLA's DK is pretty legit though.
No, I beat them in legit tournament sets.

I'd say that you're in denial, but you clearly don't know how good my Ganon is, so you're obviously just ignorant. If you stop making assumptions now and accept that I'm a good enough player to do well with the worst character in the game, then you won't take it so hard when you lose next time we fight in a tournament

Quik17

Smash Ace
The player makes the character, not the other way around like you seem to think Zozefup. Look at Kain, Boss, Ally's Falcon, etc... Just recently Breezy (a Ganon from MN) took a game off of Lain's ICs, what everyone thought was a 100-0 matchup. DLA beats great players all the time.

Simply put, if you're really good and can outsmart your opponent you have a good chance to win most sets.

The problem with Ganon though is that, since he's so bad, you have to play at your very best all the time otherwise you can get shutdown easily.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I think I have more problems with this PR. The only players on this list that even have a chance of taking me out of a tournament set are Quik, Ook, and Arty. And I go 50/50 with Ook and Arty.

I've placed even or better at every tournament me and DLA attended. Plus I knocked him out of bracket, and I'm 6-0 against him in friendlies.

and DLA, if I see you again, I'll 5 dollar damage MM your Gannon. If you can even put 1% on me the entire match, I'll let you win.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I think I have more problems with this PR. The only players on this list that even have a chance of taking me out of a tournament set are Quik, Ook, and Arty. And I go 50/50 with Ook and Arty.

I've placed even or better at every tournament me and DLA attended. Plus I knocked him out of bracket, and I'm 6-0 against him in friendlies.

and DLA, if I see you again, I'll 5 dollar damage MM your Gannon. If you can even put 1% on me the entire match, I'll let you win.
PR's aren't about who can beat who on the list, it's about tournament results... DLA goes to more tournments than you and places consistantly, so he's higher than you.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh

Lol, we've been to 3 of the same tournaments, two of which which we were even, and one that you placed one spot higher (if I remember correctly). As for the friendlies, refer to one of my previous posts... I believe it goes a little something like this:

lol Zozefup spams tornado against Ganon in friendlies
And if you really doubt that I can do 1% to you in an entire match with Ganon, then we might as well make it a $50 money match. In fact, I'll $MM you for every dollar in my bank. And if I lose, I'll name my first born son "Shaggy." How does that sound?

edit:
I love this PR, finally we have some drama going on!

;D
I know right XD would you mind removing Donkey Kong from my name on the list? I barely use him in tournament any more.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
PR's aren't about who can beat who on the list, it's about tournament results... DLA goes to more tournaments than you and places consistantly, so he's higher than you.
I went just as many tournaments as him and placed just as consistently. I've knocked him out of bracket, placed higher in tournament, and taken games off of bigger names than him.

This PR is so stupidly biased toward Chicago. I go to tournaments and out place chicago players, and knock them out of bracket. And they still get a higher PR than me. My games with DLA weren't even close, it was a 2 and a 3 stock.

I drive to Chicago and get loads of friendlies against everyone. I only lost games to Arty, Quik, and Ook the whole night. And I go 50/50 with Arty and Ook. I beat Kirk like 11 straight games (not even close). I took games of Kain in friendlies (he won't beat me in a tournament set).

hunger!

Smash Champion
I went just as many tournaments as him and placed just as consistently. I've knocked him out of bracket, placed higher in tournament, and taken games off of bigger names than him.

This PR is so stupidly biased toward Chicago. I go to tournaments and out place people, and knock them out of bracket. Our games weren't even close, it was a 2 and a 3 stock.

I drive to Chicago and get loads of friendlies against everyone. I only lost games to Arty, Quik, and Ook the whole night. And I go 50/50 with Arty and Ook. I beat Kirk like 11 straight games (not even close). I took games of Kain in a friendlies (he won't beat me in a tournament set).d
zoze. no need to get upset. just stick to your game. upset some people and raise in the ranks. i suggest you care a little less about PR's and care more about just doing well in tournies.

Top Bottom