• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I've nothing against that I even admire you for supporting such a character but you have to admit he stands a worser chance then for example Bowser Jr. and Pit was already meant for the 64 but they hadn't enough time and game and watch is just a WTF character
True, Bowser Jr. does have a chance and is the only one left other than Geno that does. Pit is repping a retro series, the retro characters pop up without popularity to begin with. Although these are true, this does not count Geno out of the picture.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hmm I've nothing to answer to that because I hardly know what it exactly is I saw a thread with some official ratings so that could it be care to explain what it exactly is?
People from around the world took polls telling what characters they wanted in Brawl and why. Of all of them, Sakurai posted some in his journal. Of ALL the characters that were suggested, Sakurai took 4-5 of the letters that contained Geno and posted them...that is a lot considering the ONLY character mentioned more was King Dedede with 5.

So far, most of the character that had the same amount of mentions as Geno have ALL become playable. All, but Ridley and Krystal (Who technically weren't mentioned as many times...but Geno was mentioned in a music update mention, someone suggesting him as a character to accompany his unofficial theme music.)

Krystal and Ridley are basically shoe ins, so that leaves Geno...

D

Deleted member

Oke I'll admit he stands a good chance however I don't like it at all since he was in only one game but I'll leave now then (****ed I hate it when I lose:(:p)
Ice Climbers...
Lucas...
I guess you don't like them either.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes I don't because Lucas was japan only but I like IC's because they're very unique and they were already from melee but as far as I can see they can have another comeback but Geno has missed so many Mario games
Well, see.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

But whatever

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Yes I don't because Lucas was japan only but I like IC's because they're very unique and they were already from melee but as far as I can see they can have another comeback but Geno has missed so many Mario games
Geno had a small cameo appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, showing that the character might not be down and out for the count just yet.

D

Deleted member

Geno hasn't missed any Mario games except M&L: SS. They just didn't put him in because Square owns him.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Yeah, he's owned by Square-Enix.

This is my third time telling you: They can't put Geno in every game they would like to because he's partially owned by Square-Enix. I'm sure he'd be in alot more if Nintendo created him solely.

D

Deleted member

Geno only missed a bunch of Mario games, b/c Square was being douchebags:mad:
I don't think they were being douche bags. I just think that thy didn't quite let him out of his cage yet. There's still hope for Brawl though, my friends.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I don't think they were being douche bags. I just think that thy didn't quite let him out of his cage yet. There's still hope for Brawl though, my friends.
They broke off from Nintendo mid-development for SMRPG2. Now if that's not bull, I don't know what is.

Sakurai showing interest in Geno, people wanting him in Brawl from childhood memories of the great game, and him being a generally very requested character, I'm sure his lack of appearances in games won't matter.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
anything from metal gear probably didn't "cost" nintendo anything. the metal gear solid peopel were begging nintendo to include snake in melee but it was to late they WANT their character in this game.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
IT was pretty much a mutually beneficial relationship. Nintendo got to add Snake and didnt have to come forward themselves to ask (probably wouldnt anyway lol) and Snake got the publicity. I was actually checking out his games a little more closely than before myself lol. Geno may be in the same situation.....however the problem is that square would be less than inclined to submit Geno to Nintendo without payment simply because they cant use him themselves....so no publicity. However, this may be Square's only chance to ever make money off Geno again, and if its successful then they may be given more chances to sell out Geno in the future, or maybe even inclined to sell him off permanently. I dont see why they wouldnt take the deal if Nintendo asked. It would be their only chance to make money off Geno since he can only be used in the Mario universe and such, and Nintendo isnt DESPERATE for him, but it would make a lot of people happy so why not go a little distance towards getting him.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
To be honest though, what would Square do with the character if they didn't allow him in Brawl? I mean other than making him a totally different series they don't even use him and probably won't, whereas with Sonic the character's still in lots of games. I hope Geno makes it.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
To be honest though, what would Square do with the character if they didn't allow him in Brawl? I mean other than making him a totally different series they don't even use him and probably won't, whereas with Sonic the character's still in lots of games. I hope Geno makes it.
They probably would keep him hidden in obscurity until they make another SMRPG game. They don't have to make money off of and use every character they possibly can.

100,000? or something?
Maybe it's a royalty on each copy sold. That'd add up pretty quickly if SSBB gets close to or goes over what SSBM sold.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
Geno is useless to Square anyway, they took all the SMRPG characters that werent already property of Nintendo in the split. Unfortunetly for them none of those characters can be used outside the Mario "Universe". Which means every new character created in that game and was taken in the split is unusable unless used in a Mario based game...which they will never be able to do. The only thing they can do is loan them out to Nintendo or resell them to Nintendo. Something which should have been done a long time ago.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even with the proverbial beg, Nintendo probably did have to pay some money. Just less.
Well, of course Nintendo had to pay to "rent" Snake. Kojima may have created him but the copyright is still under Konami (which I don't understand since Kojima has broken off and made his own company, Kojima Productions. I guess he still needs the financial security...). Regardless, Kojima probably was able to pull some strings to bring the cost down.

To the guy who asked "how much does it cost to use a third party character for a game like this", it really depends on the character because, naturally, some are worth more then others. Geno's net worth, for example, is laughable compared to someone like Cloud or Sora so he'd easily cost less. This is because of how much money the Kingdom Hearts franchise and all the *coughexcessiveandoverratedcough* FFVII merchandise makes for Square Enix.

Just a question out of nowhere, how much do you guys think Mario is worth? O_o' It's something I'd like to know but am afraid to ask...

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
guys i am getting worried that there really wont be that many characters in brawl as people are saying. My guess is somewere around 30 characters seems to be a good guess at this point. Lets face it if Sakurai has not updated the dojo with a new character in 2 months, then there really must not be that many characters left to update lol...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
guys i am getting worried that there really wont be that many characters in brawl as people are saying. My guess is somewere around 30 characters seems to be a good guess at this point. Lets face it if Sakurai has not updated the dojo with a new character in 2 months, then there really must not be that many characters left to update lol...
If they are gonna do an overhaul on everything else, why would they only add 5 more characters than the previous game?

I mean, there are rumors adventure mode is a 10 hour game...

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Or like a normal person would say...he's only showing starters(save 3rd party characters) and he may not show the secret characters at all or until after it's japan release.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Or like a normal person would say...he's only showing starters(save 3rd party characters) and he may not show the secret characters at all or until after it's japan release.
Agreed. He may be saving them to add even more to the hype when he does reveal a character. (Whatever millenium that may occur in :dizzy:)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Or he's stalling for time since there are still 5 weeks until this game comes out. Still, we already have 22 characters, there are still 6 icons which haven't had a character rep yet (Animal Crossing, F-Zero, DS, icon 13 (which is logically Game and Watch) and icon 19) meaning the game would have to have a minimum of 28 characters, Melee had 26 characters, Brawl's development time has been almost triple Melee's (seriously, 10 months compared to the current 26...), Sakurai estimated about twice as many people were working on Brawl then Melee, etc. This game is definately going to have more then 30 characters...

Also, when I asked about Mario's worth, I was asking like an actual number.

Cless

Smash Champion
Just because Animal Crossing has an icon it automatically gets a pc? What if they have a bunch of AC ATs to accompany Mr. Resetti?

Mario is worth as much as Nintendo is worth. Go look up their stock value.

Top Bottom