• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
The GUIDE depicts Geno as shorter than Mario? But the pictures, while looking like utter crap in comparison to the sprites, are far off size-wise.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I will condone Geno being in this game on one condition; that he have a self-sacrificing KO move, like Kirby's throws in Melee.

That way, Brawl will have Genocide XD XD XD

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I will condone Geno being in this game on one condition; that he have a self-sacrificing KO move, like Kirby's throws in Melee.

That way, Brawl will have Genocide XD XD XD
Killing himself is hardly Genocide...

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
GENOcide ._.

I also keep hearing about December 15 and how Coro Coro is supposedly going to reveal the entire roster. Personally, I think it'll either be all the characters that are currently on the dojo site or the starting roster. Here are my thoughts regarding the matter:

If it were the entire roster:

A simple question, why would Sakurai reveal the entire roster when he's been going great lengths to avoid showing us too much information all at once? Seriously, the update on Friday showed us the roster they had at E for All... Sakurai showing us that instead of the true starting roster tells us that he easily has more characters that he'd like to reveal on his own time so why do so many people believe that he's going to reveal the entire roster only a week later when he's been beating around the bush for more then a year and a half? Also, whoever heard of someone revealing all the secrets to a game more then a month before it was released?

If it ends up being the starting roster:

I seriously think it could end up being this. As far as character updates go, Sakurai's getting pinch tighter and tighter into a corner with each passing week. Since the website reopened back in May, Sakurai has updated at least one character related update a week. We haven't had a character profile since the second to last week of October and we've had at least one final smash a week since then. Because of this, there are only four characters left: ZSS, Zelda, Snake, and Sonic. Because of how hush-hush Sakurai has been about Zelda, I can almost guarentee that her final smash involves Shiek in some way and that's why he's avoided updating her FS. Something tells me that he has held off on Snake and Sonic's (even though we already know Sonic's) FS's because they are unlockable characters. That basically leaves ZSS and if her FS is revealed this week, I can almost guarentee that the complete starting roster will be revealed this weekend unless Sakurai decides to stop character updates altogether for awhile just to spite us.

If it ends up just being the characters currently on the Dojo:

I will go to the maternity ward at a hospital and shake at least a dozen babies like maracas... Seriously, I want to be excited about Brawl news again and this drought has been especially harsh...

Either way, I think this will reveal what Geno's status is in the game because, most likely, the copyrights of all the starting playable characters and ATs will be revealed. If they do reveal the starting roster and Square Enix isn't one of the companies that comes up, it basically means that either Geno is unlockable or didn't make it at all. If Square Enix does show up but Geno does not show up, he's been turned into an AT although I severally doubt that this will happen.
It's not sakurai who's revealing this, it's corocoro, they've released lots of things
early, and they know more then we do that's for sure <_<

I wouldn't put this past them, they revealed several pokemon before they were
supposed to, and this isn't much different

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
First of all I dont like that picture of Geno from the SMRPG Guide....its a good character design and all but he looks all dumpy and fat like hes made of clay (just in that picture lol). I also thought of an awesome stage....Blade.....that would be so cool. It was the ship you fought the Axem Rangers on. And for a stage Hazard it could shoot off the "Breaker Beam" every now and then to do some insane damage lol. Problem with this stage is that its pretty much an exact clone of Metaknight's stage the Halberd lol. As for Corocoro....I think theyll reveal the starting roster or all the characters.....but not just the Dojo characters. Theyve been making a big deal about it lol. Also even though Sakurai is trying to hide his hidden characters its pretty obvious he doesnt care anymore. He mentioned it in the "Anybody Brawl" update (Friday's) where he said that the internet spoils everything anyway lol. Wow....that was a lot of subject for me to handle lol.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
First of all I dont like that picture of Geno from the SMRPG Guide....its a good character design and all but he looks all dumpy and fat like hes made of clay (just in that picture lol). I also thought of an awesome stage....Blade.....that would be so cool. It was the ship you fought the Axem Rangers on. And for a stage Hazard it could shoot off the "Breaker Beam" every now and then to do some insane damage lol. Problem with this stage is that its pretty much an exact clone of Metaknight's stage the Halberd lol. As for Corocoro....I think theyll reveal the starting roster or all the characters.....but not just the Dojo characters. Theyve been making a big deal about it lol. Also even though Sakurai is trying to hide his hidden characters its pretty obvious he doesnt care anymore. He mentioned it in the "Anybody Brawl" update (Friday's) where he said that the internet spoils everything anyway lol. Wow....that was a lot of subject for me to handle lol.
Heh, when you said on Blade, the first thing I thought of was: Clone of the Halberd

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
GENOcide ._.

It's not sakurai who's revealing this, it's corocoro, they've released lots of things

Pokemon are different though because each new generation brings 100+ more to the table so the unveilment of some doesn't exactly ruin anything. Revealing all of Brawl's unlockable characters in one day would definately ruin a ton of surprizes especially when it's become increasingly apparent that Brawl will 40 or more characters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon are different though because each new generation brings 100+ more to the table so the unveilment of some doesn't exactly ruin anything. Revealing all of Brawl's unlockable characters in one day would definately ruin a ton of surprizes especially when it's become increasingly apparent that Brawl will 40 or more characters.
I wish it was 40 + playable characters...

I'm starting to question that...

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Hey, it was my joke first...he's not even using the word right...
Sorry if I'm treading on your feet; I just realized the joke this evening... and it's not like I'm going through 400+ pages of 30 posts per page to see if someone's used it already <.<

And yeah, I meant as Kirby's throws are to Kirbicide so would be some self-KO KO move of Geno's be to GENOcide.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wish it was 40 + playable characters...

I'm starting to question that...
Well, we already have 21 starting characters and there's at least two more to go: Captain Falcon and whoever the Animal Crossing rep (unless Smashville turns out to be an unlockable stage). There's a decent chance that Shiek will once again be paired with Zelda and I have a feeling that Mr. Game and Watch will be part of the ranks early as well. I also believe that Captain Olimar and Krystal may be among the starting characters too. At most, that'd give us 27 characters. Melee had 11 unlockable characters despite being rushed so I don't think 13-15 this time around would be that much of a stretch.

Devastlian

Smash Lord

...Did Coro Coro get in trouble for that or something? I really don't get why people think Coro Coro is some rogue magazine that leaks information against the the wishes of whatever company they're working with.

Whatever they're showing in their next issue is something approved by Nintendo; there's no other possibility. The idea that they're free to post whatever inside info they want is just silly.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
I know this is nothing, and I probably already posted it but

Doll soul宿****A celestial messenger (stars pursuer), Super Mario RPG true hero existence.   カジオーに破壊されたスターロードを復活させるために必要なスターピースを集めるため、マリオと共に冒険をしている。 KAJIO destroyed by the Star Road to revive peace Star needed to collect, Mario adventures with them.   キザな性格で、他人に対しては君付けして呼んだりする。 KIZA personality, and others to call for君付KE swallows.   ちなみに、マリオ&ルイージRPGではゲストキャラクターとして出演した。 Incidentally, Mario & Luigi RPG will appear as a guest character.   期待の声は大きいものの、版権の問題があり、出場させるにはスクウェアエニックスの協力が必要なため、正直きついものがある。 Expectations are great voice, but the copyright issue and put in the square enix cooperation is necessary for the demanding honesty.   しかし、マリオ&ルイージRPGのちょい役にもわざわざ許可を得て出演したため、可能性が薄いわけではない。 However, Mario & Luigi RPG's small role even bother to get permission to appear for the possibility that thin is not.   仮に参戦した場合は、体の各部位を変形させての攻撃など、面白い技が期待できる。 Granted, if you go to war, parts of the body to deformation by the attacks, including the interesting trick is to be expected.
Apparently we were right, Geno is VERY expected as a character, the only problem IS the copyright thing. So, if he's not in, it's more Square-Enix's fault than anything. I think Geno can get around all that though...

Chepe

Smash Lord
Seriously, Im sure Geno was popular on the polls, and Im also sure Nintendo called a meeting about the character with Square-Enix...

Yeah, that is where the problem rises. I can see Square-Enix feeling gimped out of a chance to have someone like Cloud in Brawl by lending just Geno... And if they ask Nintendo for the chance to have another character, will Nintendo/Sakurai allow it? These are all valid things to consider...

But if Square has no problem, then I do see Geno making that transition to Brawl.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, Im sure Geno was popular on the polls, and Im also sure Nintendo called a meeting about the character with Square-Enix...

Yeah, that is where the problem rises. I can see Square-Enix feeling gimped out of a chance to have someone like Cloud in Brawl by lending just Geno... And if they ask Nintendo for the chance to have another character, will Nintendo/Sakurai allow it? These are all valid things to consider...

But if Square has no problem, then I do see Geno making that transition to Brawl.
You know, I remember the same exact scenario with Sonic "not being in the cards at the moment" and "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games losing sales due to Brawl". I used to be a big arguer for Sonic because well, I used to think the game would be complete if Sonic got in. I guess it was always obvious once we found out Snake was in that Sonic was guaranteed a position but I remember all the speculation and all the flame wars that caused. There were small hints involved on the Dojo and random other bits and pieces on internet sites but Sonic was eventually confirmed.

The same exact thing can be applied to Geno too. The evidence is there guys, I just wish that more people would open their eyes and realize that Geno isn't this no name character and that he effectively does portray Super Mario RPG which needs to be represented in Brawl. Nintendo knows that Geno was highly requested and its not a hopeless cause like some characters. There really is a good shot for Geno, no question about it. I mean, before Sonic's confirmation there was a guy that did the music for NiGHTS. That was undeniable proof that SEGA was involved somehow in Brawl. Why? Because the guy was FAMOUS for NiGHTS. He obviously wasn't hired to do the character select screen or anything, so why was he there? Maybe to help with Sonic's track, because Sakurai wouldn't leak NiGHTS like that. When I see Yoko on that list it really makes me wonder. Is she there for Super Mario RPG and not Kingdom Hearts? Lets face it guys, the only reason Yoko is listed as Kingdom Hearts is because its a well known, extremely popular franchise. There aren't a lot of people who will remember everything from Super Mario RPG. We can come to a conclusion that after looking at her list of works the only appropriate ones are Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. Her other works are quite random and don't seem like they would appear in Brawl.

Aside from Yoko (and her ability to remix the Forest tune *HINT*) we still have Nobuo! Square Enix has got to be involved in Brawl in some way.
So Geno is this highly requested character AND then there is Yoko's appearance as a musician? Not a coincidence.

I have this feeling Geno is in Brawl, it all adds up. If Sonic and Snake can get in, Geno can most certainly get in. Super Mario RPG is a Mario game, I mean that really helps and also the fact that Sakurai has given special recognition to certain games like Super Mario World in Melee. Super Mario World had its own stage, why not Super Mario RPG?

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
what if we ended up getting an FF rep and Geno?

Then we'd get more then 3 3rd parties(because Megaman is basically a shoe-in)

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
yea well have more then three 3rd parties isnt to unheards of now since the delay their is a good possibility that 2 or three more third parties could be placed in since it wouldnt be so rushed!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why you people think that Yoko = Geno confrimed is beyond me. You all don't really belive that do you? Heck, she's listed under Kingdom Hearts, and if Square is participating, wouldn't that be the hint? Heck, why not Final Fantasy with Nobuo? I guess there's the outside chance that she could be in for SMBRPG for some reason, but if you do it like that, you also have to count in the other possibilities for every other character who has that same status. =/

(Though Nobuo isn't affiliated with Square anymore)

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Why you people think that Yoko = Geno confrimed is beyond me. You all don't really belive that do you? Heck, she's listed under Kingdom Hearts, and if Square is participating, wouldn't that be the hint? Heck, why not Final Fantasy with Nobuo? I guess there's the outside chance that she could be in for SMBRPG for some reason, but if you do it like that, you also have to count in the other possibilities for every other character who has that same status. =/

Your not the boss of people if people want to beleive that let them.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, but they are selectivly believing it, which is annoying. Adding only the parts that fit their cause, while not including the parts that aren't beneficial. It's okay to say that's it's a possibility, but when you say it's a reason for him, then it's also a reason for a Cho Aniki character to get in. >_>

hotgarbage

Smash Lord

Of course having her working on SSBB doesn't confirm anything.... the only thing that confirms a playable character is their update on the dojo. I sure doesn't hurt Geno's chances though.

Devastlian

Smash Lord

I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai would allow it if SE can convince them and they come to some sort of an agreement. <_<

So Geno is this highly requested character AND then there is Yoko's appearance as a musician? Not a coincidence.
It very well could be. Yoko Shimomura is a popular composer in her own right. She's also freelance which doesn't connect her to SE anymore.

what if we ended up getting an FF rep and Geno?

Then we'd get more then 3 3rd parties(because Megaman is basically a shoe-in)
How's Mega Man more of a show in than an SE character? Or Namco or whoever.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce

Just so you know, it Sora and the non FF characters from KH belong to Disney, not Square. And I believe Yoko MAY make a track for SMRPG, but not WILL. She is perfectly capable of making new and amazingly good music. Even if she does make music keyed to a game, I expect to hear a new and interesting flair to it. I'd even wish that she could make an original theme, perhaps for the SSE. That'd be nice too.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
How's Mega Man more of a show in than an SE character? Or Namco or whoever.
Megaman was one of the pioneering games that basically started Nintendo. He's appeared in multiple games and was generally an iconic and largely admired character. His fanbase is gigantic.

But this isn't the Megaman thread.

On topic, you shouldn't believe that the composer being in the game assures Geno's arrival. Another SE character MIGHT be coming in. The fact of the matter is though, so far this game has proved to be a fans game (fans really wanted Sonic and look where he is now). If Square-Enix has any kind of marketing sense, I'm sure they'll choose Geno to represent in the game, as he is one of the most; if not the most; requested character for Brawl.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Megaman was one of the pioneering games that basically started Nintendo. He's appeared in multiple games and was generally an iconic and largely admired character. His fanbase is gigantic.
The same could be said about Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and their characters...except the multiple appearance part.

On topic, you shouldn't believe that the composer being in the game assures Geno's arrival. Another SE character MIGHT be coming in. The fact of the matter is though, so far this game has proved to be a fans game (fans really wanted Sonic and look where he is now). If Square-Enix has any kind of marketing sense, I'm sure they'll choose Geno to represent in the game, as he is one of the most; if not the most; requested character for Brawl.
There's really no way to know that. Those four votes may or may not represent the amount of votes Geno got, proportionally or otherwise. Geno may have just amused the developers at the time and they could've talked to SE and looked at other fan requests and changed their mind.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Notice I said ONE of the pioneering games. Megaman's multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles make him alot more of a contender than a FF or Dragon Quest character.

Other fan requests? If you look at these forums just by itself, it's full of Geno supporters. He's also the most favored character in the SMRPG, some people even like him more than Mario himself.

He was highly requested on the polls, which obviously means alot if three characters near the top of the vote got added already. (Krystal's also near the top and she's basically the most likely candidate for Star Fox's series)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
So wait, did you guys ever decide if you support the notion of popular characters getting in, due to Geno' standing in the polls, or that it doesn't matter, in responce to someone like Cloud's obvious greater popularity? >_>

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I'm going off those poll votes since that's what Sakurai seems to be devoting some of his attention to.

Geno fans have been raving for him to be in another game for a good 10-11 years, and this is his perfect opportunity. Cloud is popular, and I like him too, but (though this is ALL based on my opinion) I don't think he's fit for Brawl. Sure his moves are wonderful and all, and he has potential for a moveset, but you have to ask yourself, do we really need that many more sword using characters? A 3rd party slot wasted on ANOTHER sword user? Geno, if you played the SMRPG, has a wonderful set of unique moves, not to mention he'd fit completely into the SSE.

Besides, Cloud wasn't even on Sakurai's suggestion list.

Cless

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the composers arranging Nintendo songs and supervising arragements? I really don't see how the composers have anything to do with any sort of character inclusion. Most, if not all, of these composers are probably freelance anyway. I know Nobuo became freelance, and apparently Yoko is.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the composers arranging Nintendo songs and supervising arragements? I really don't see how the composers have anything to do with any sort of character inclusion. Most, if not all, of these composers are probably freelance anyway. I know Nobuo became freelance, and apparently Yoko is.
If a song is remixed, it's composer is most likely in Brawl. Geno's "THEME" was one of the most requested songs for Brawl. Yoko is the one who made that song.

Therefore, it's a good chance Geno's "THEME" could end up in the game

Top Bottom