• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
I'm going off those poll votes since that's what Sakurai seems to be devoting some of his attention to.

Geno fans have been raving for him to be in another game for a good 10-11 years, and this is his perfect opportunity. Cloud is popular, and I like him too, but (though this is ALL based on my opinion) I don't think he's fit for Brawl. Sure his moves are wonderful and all, and he has potential for a moveset, but you have to ask yourself, do we really need that many more sword using characters? A 3rd party slot wasted on ANOTHER sword user? Geno, if you played the SMRPG, has a wonderful set of unique moves, not to mention he'd fit completely into the SSE.

Besides, Cloud wasn't even on Sakurai's suggestion list.
This (except for liking Cloud...Me and FF7 didn't get along.>_>), and also: Why would Square-Enix have any reason to deny Geno's entrance? They're already making tons of money off of Cloud, why not make a profit on a character that would be worthless otherwise? This isn't even mentioning that if everything goes well, Square will have a new source of income, albeit not as much as Cloud will make obviously, but it still would be something.

Besides, if Sakurai denied three perfectly good, highly requested FIRST PARTY SWORDSMEN(women, in the case of Lyn.), why would he blow a ton of money just to bring in another one that isn't even highly requested? Remember that Cloud wasn't even on the suggestion list, and had no journal entries OR interviews talking about him (it does apply to 3rd parties, because Megaman has 2 entries, and Sonic, while not mentioned in the journal, was mentioned in interviews, and come on, we all knew he was a shoo-in)

Oh, and Yoko being listed under KH means nothing. The guy (who's name escapes me) who does the music for the Sonic games was credited to NIGHTS before Sonic was confirmed. And Sora, while popular, would take even more legal hoop-jumping than Geno, seeing as he's dually owned by TWO separate 3rd parties.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Heh, did I mention that the suspense of Geno being confirmed or deconfirmed to fight in Brawl is making my innards rot inside of my body?

HURRY THAT CRAP UP SAKURAI SENSAI!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm going off those poll votes since that's what Sakurai seems to be devoting some of his attention to.

Geno fans have been raving for him to be in another game for a good 10-11 years, and this is his perfect opportunity. Cloud is popular, and I like him too, but (though this is ALL based on my opinion) I don't think he's fit for Brawl. Sure his moves are wonderful and all, and he has potential for a moveset, but you have to ask yourself, do we really need that many more sword using characters? A 3rd party slot wasted on ANOTHER sword user? Geno, if you played the SMRPG, has a wonderful set of unique moves, not to mention he'd fit completely into the SSE.

Eh? Why are you bringing up the moveset card? I havn't seen anyone bring that up in awhile. Heck, try bringing it up in say the Marth thread and see how far it gets ya. In anycase, I am not all to familliar with Cloud's abilities, but I am certain that his sword in question is unique, and that he probably has magical abilities as well. But still, I don't think any character will get in due to their moveset, unless they are truly revolutionary, like the ICs.

And Sonic wasn't on the suggestion list, but he was the most requested. >_>

EDIT: Not directed at this post, but... Yoko doesn't even need to be remixing SMRPG or KH stuff you all know. She's got a loads of other games under her belt as well, like M&L PiT

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Oh please. Meta Knight's a swordsman, Ike's a swordsman (Fire Magic on his Down B WOW!), if Marth gets confirmed he's a swordsman, Link's a swordsman, WW Link if confirmed a swordsman, if Claus is confirmed thats another swordsman, and Ganondorf's new moveset is going to contain a sword in it. (Even though Roy's practically gone, if in Brawl, he would've used swords and magic too)

Swords, swords, swords, swords, swords.

Let's get something different for once... something that hasn't been tried.

And no, Cloud's not more requested for Brawl anymore than Geno is.

Chasesin

Smash Apprentice
Oh please. Meta Knight's a swordsman, Ike's a swordsman (Fire Magic on his Down B WOW!), if Marth gets confirmed he's a swordsman, Link's a swordsman, WW Link if confirmed a swordsman, if Claus is confirmed thats another swordsman, and Ganondorf's new moveset is going to contain a sword in it. (Even though Roy's practically gone, if in Brawl, he would've used swords and magic too)

agreed, they need more projectile shooters and various others in the game

Pieman0920

Smash Master
And we have loads of punching and kicking type characters. Heck, half of those people are not even confirmed. (Down B for Ike is counter). And even still, none of them have the same type of sword Cloud has. >_>

I'm fairly sure his pressence would cause much more of a impact though, no? And really, that's the point of third party characters. They are not to please the existing fans, though they may do that, but rather to pull in new fans from other series. Additionally, it is to get the patrons of the series itself to hook onto those new characters. Geno doesn't bring in anyone new, and there's nothing suggesting he'll have a new game outside of a VC game, for any new fans to purchase. It doesn't even work like FE though with indirect exposure, since we already have a over-saturated Mario character count. That's why they are big name and not obscure. There's no doubt in anyone's mind that Cloud would create so much more publicity for both companies.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Nothing new?

Geno hasn't been in a game besides a small cameo appearance in 11 years.
This is a perfect opportunity to both please the fans, and for SE to get some money and attention off a pretty much retired character. Note that he hasn't been in a game for so long, yet his fan base is still huge. This MUST mean that he is still very desired to be seen in games.

Mario is the icon of Nintendo, you can't really blame him for having the most characters from his series on his home console.

Cless

Smash Champion
Cloud doesn't even have his own game on a Nintendo console. I kinda wish the only iteration of CoM was the PS2 version so that Cloud, Sora, and any other FF7 and later characters would be non-factors.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Nothing new?

Geno hasn't been in a game besides a small cameo appearance in 11 years.
This is a perfect opportunity to both please the fans, and for SE to get some money and attention off a pretty much retired character. Note that he hasn't been in a game for so long, yet his fan base is still huge. This MUST mean that he is admired by many.

Mario is the icon of Nintendo, you can't really blame him for having the most characters from his series on his home console.
If they wanted to do that, they would have. It has been mentioned multiple times, but Itadaki Street DS and that Mario Hoops thing are both crossovers between Mario characters and either FF or DQ. Geno was in neither of these, even though in Itadaki Street, they had SMRPG Music. Neither company seems to be care about this one character.

And it's true that Mario does have the right to have the most, in its long history, it has also had many characters who have become more iconic than Geno with more games.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
And we have loads of punching and kicking type characters. Heck, half of those people are not even confirmed. (Down B for Ike is counter). And even still, none of them have the same type of sword Cloud has. >_>

I'm fairly sure his pressence would cause much more of a impact though, no? And really, that's the point of third party characters. They are not to please the existing fans, though they may do that, but rather to pull in new fans from other series. Additionally, it is to get the patrons of the series itself to hook onto those new characters. Geno doesn't bring in anyone new, and there's nothing suggesting he'll have a new game outside of a VC game, for any new fans to purchase. It doesn't even work like FE though with indirect exposure, since we already have a over-saturated Mario character count. That's why they are big name and not obscure. There's no doubt in anyone's mind that Cloud would create so much more publicity for both companies.
That's only part of the reason for 3rd parties. There's also overwhelming fan demand (That's what got Sonic in), and requests from the creators themselves (That was Snake's ticket). And let's not forget significance to Nintendo's history. Cloud has none of that going for him.

And how is the Mario series oversaturated? At the moment we have three, Luigi will make four, and Bowser Jr, if he's even been considered, will make five. Six Mario characters in a game with possibly (and really, easily) 40+ characters is not far-fetched, seeing as it is Nintendo's flagship series.

EDIT: I don't think there was an incredible fan demand to have Geno as filler in two spinoff games. I mean, really, Geno in a basketball game? Do not want.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I've heard somewhere that Sakurai said he was NOT going to put in characters that do not appear on a Nintendo console. So if Cloud has no games on a Nintendo console, I think it means he's deconfirmed.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The fact of the matter is, though other characters are more iconic than Geno, in the SMRPG, many people still prefer Geno; even over Mario himself.

The companies can not care about Geno all they want, but by the addition of Sonic, Brawl has proved to be the FANS game. And what the FANS want is Geno.

How would someone like Cloud, pretty much a loner, fit into the SSE? From the videos I've seen, two characters team up to fight evil. Now, Cloud, is in a battle with himself; he can't decide between good or evil within his own confines. The fans wouldn't really enjoy it if they see him fighting beside someone like Pikachu to save trophies.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
I've heard somewhere that Sakurai said he was NOT going to put in characters that do not appear on a Nintendo console. So if Cloud has no games on a Nintendo console, I think it means he's deconfirmed.
Cloud HAS been on a Nintendo system....he had a cameo in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

Of course, this is the ONLY thing that gives him a (VERY REMOTE) chance.

Devastlian

Smash Lord

Sword users are still the minority. By prejudicing them, it's suggested that they're all alike outside of the fact that they have sword...which very obviously isn't true. I'd rather have another sword user with new sword moves than a character with a gimped Zero Beam, a non-returning boomerang, a multi-hit Thunder, and adds to the already overwhelming number of hand-to-hand fighters.

If a song is remixed, it's composer is most likely in Brawl. Geno's "THEME" was one of the most requested songs for Brawl. Yoko is the one who made that song.

Therefore, it's a good chance Geno's "THEME" could end up in the game
Geno's "theme" wasn't requested; the Forest Maze theme was. And I don't think something being known to have been requested once, one of the songs we know were actually requested, is the same as most requested.

This (except for liking Cloud...Me and FF7 didn't get along.>_>), and also: Why would Square-Enix have any reason to deny Geno's entrance? They're already making tons of money off of Cloud, why not make a profit on a character that would be worthless otherwise? This isn't even mentioning that if everything goes well, Square will have a new source of income, albeit not as much as Cloud will make obviously, but it still would be something.
Why would they wanna make more money when they could make less? Interesting question...

Besides, if Sakurai denied three perfectly good, highly requested FIRST PARTY SWORDSMEN(women, in the case of Lyn.), why would he blow a ton of money just to bring in another one that isn't even highly requested? Remember that Cloud wasn't even on the suggestion list, and had no journal entries OR interviews talking about him (it does apply to 3rd parties, because Megaman has 2 entries, and Sonic, while not mentioned in the journal, was mentioned in interviews, and come on, we all knew he was a shoo-in)
The number of entries does not equal the number of requests; it's just what they wanted to show us. They could've gotten tens of thousands of letters and the 290 they showed us aren't necessarily representative of any actual numbers.

And not being mentioned in any interviews doesn't mean a whole lot; a lot of these talks are obviously done in private.

And Sora, while popular, would take even more legal hoop-jumping than Geno, seeing as he's dually owned by TWO separate 3rd parties.
Sora's solely owned by Disney.

Something that hasn't been tried? Like what? Cloud could've been more requested; we really don't know.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
That's only part of the reason for 3rd parties. There's also overwhelming fan demand (That's what got Sonic in), and requests from the creators themselves (That was Snake's ticket)...Cloud has none of that going for him.
How do you know Cloud has neither of these?

EDIT: I don't think there was an incredible fan demand to have Geno as filler in two spinoff games. I mean, really, Geno in a basketball game? Do not want.
There is for this spinoff, lolol.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
First of all, I think Cloud's CoM two boss fight (or one can't remember) doesn't really count as appearing on a Nintendo console. (What it accounts for 8 minutes or less of the game?) Sure he has chances, but they in truth are not very high at all.

Notice how many Geno supporters there are on these boards. Not focusing on these boards, he is also popular in Japan and places all around to world; I highly doubt someone who played the SMRPG would not like him. Geno, like I said, has a massive appeal to him, seeing as he hasn't been in any games in so long, and he still has his popularity. I'm guessing you've never played the SMRPG if you don't like him for some reason or think he's not a good choice. His moves would fit perfectly into the game, the only question being what his Up + B (Recovery move) would be.

Final Fantasy fans don't want to see loner badass Cloud fighting next to Pikachu to save Mushroom Kingdom or trophies, or anything of the sort like that.

If you've seen Geno's moves in the RPG, or even just the moveset McFox made, you'd understand what I mean by different.

Cless

Smash Champion
Honestly, I didn't pay much mind to Geno in Mario RPG. He was my least used character by far. I still like him, I just didn't find him terribly useful.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I used him alot, mainly because if you buffed his attack power he could surpass Mario.

Too bad you couldn't remove Mario from the party... :p

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Geno was my most used character (besides Mario) because of his speed and attack, and his "Geno boost" was great on boss battles.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
It's too bad that when I first played SMRPG, Geno Beam and Blast did bad damage because I kept mistiming it and I thought I got it right. Geno would have been far more useful if I knew how to time it. I know now...

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Sword users are still the minority. By prejudicing them, it's suggested that they're all alike outside of the fact that they have sword...which very obviously isn't true. I'd rather have another sword user with new sword moves than a character with a gimped Zero Beam, a non-returning boomerang, a multi-hit Thunder, and adds to the already overwhelming number of hand-to-hand fighters.

Geno's "theme" wasn't requested; the Forest Maze theme was. And I don't think something being known to have been requested once, one of the songs we know were actually requested, is the same as most requested.

Why would they wanna make more money when they could make less? Interesting question...

The number of entries does not equal the number of requests; it's just what they wanted to show us. They could've gotten tens of thousands of letters and the 290 they showed us aren't necessarily representative of any actual numbers.

And not being mentioned in any interviews doesn't mean a whole lot; a lot of these talks are obviously done in private.

Something that hasn't been tried? Like what? Cloud could've been more requested; we really don't know.

The song is fan titled "Geno's Woods" I couldn't think of the actual name of it, that's why I put theme in Quotes

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
All right guys, it looks like I've missed quite a bit today. So.. where to begin..

First of all, I never claimed that Yoko CONFIRMED Geno. If that is what you got from my previous post, you are entirely incorrect. What I did say is that I believe that Square Enix is involved in Brawl. I am entitled to believe what I wish given the facts we have now and it certainly seems like Square Enix is MORE involved than they aren't. You be the judge.

Second of all, Cloud may be infinity times more popular than Geno but that isn't the point. How many games has Cloud been in on a Nintendo system? One? Was he even a playable character? At least Geno played a very important role in the game he stared in and besides, Cloud isn't very important to Kingdom Hearts. I'm also certain that Super Mario RPG is more important to Nintendo than Final Fantasy VII or Kingdom Hearts. I will give you the fact that Cloud is way more marketable than Geno, thats fine, I entirely agree. This is a Nintendo fighter though, we remember Geno from Super Mario RPG (given you've played the game of course) and we remember Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII appearing on the Playstation. Why, oh why, would Nintendo want to pass up Super Mario RPG for two series that have strong Playstation roots? I'll give SEGA and Konami some credit for allowing Sonic and Snake to appear in their first games on a Nintendo system (Sonic 1 appeared on the GBA... Thats what I mean and yes, I know SEGA had their own systems, whatever). This time around, Brawl is trying to portray Nintendo's history which is understandable. With characters like Pit and the Ice Climbers, it only makes sense. Cloud or Sora don't feel worthy of a Brawl spot in my opinion simply because they haven't really done much for Nintendo (yet). Super Mario RPG paved the way for future Mario RPGs. I say it needs to be at least acknowledged, but your opinion is your opinion.

I guess one of the main arguments for Cloud > Geno is the fact that Cloud's inclusion into Brawl would sell Brawl even more. I say, it probably would sell better but not significantly more than it already will. Yes, I know Cloud is very popular and yes I know I sound crazy, just chill out for a second. As I stated previously, Cloud isn't that important to Nintendo. What has he done for Nintendo? I mean, wow, he appeared in Kingdom Hearts.. big deal. So, I'm a hypocrite right? There is no way in Hell Snake was important to Nintendo, right? Well, this is what I have to say to you: the first Metal Gear Solid game was remade for the Gamecube and its also the fact that maybe Konami and Nintendo are friends. Maybe it doesn't need to be this long, drawn out legal battle for characters. Anyways back on topic, Cloud's inclusion into Brawl wouldn't only feel odd but it wouldn't be this quantum leap either.
Cloud won't change the game and you know what else that means if Cloud gets in? The snowball effect. Wheres Sephiroth? Isn't he deserving too? The point is that Final Fantasy is way to broad. For Super Mario RPG at least its just Geno and/or Mallow and possibly Smithy as a boss. Thats it. None of this lets grab every single Final Fantasy character we can get our hands on crap.

Third of all why can't we, the fans, just have Geno? So what if he doesn't seem "likely" in some people's opinions? I'm tired of all the hypocrisy in this thread. We come up with reasons that we feel are good enough to challenge the opponents and yet they aren't "valid" or they are considered the be "irrational". I mean, what the hell. Oh, but God forbid the opponent takes our reasons, twists them around to make us all look like idiots and then claims that "Geno will NOT be in Brawl (based off of your reasons)". What a sad way to counter our reasons. We're at least in a deadlock with the opposing argument simply because both sides don't have any proof for one way or the other.

Fourth of all, I'd like to discuss "could". Ok, so I like to say that Yoko "COULD" have made a Forest Maze remix and whats wrong with that? She most certainly "COULD" have made any track for Super Mario RPG in Brawl. It hasn't been disproven and considering she is the one that created the music for Super Mario RPG, we can rightfully believe that there "COULD" be a Super Mario RPG song in Brawl. I know theres another side to the coin, but why hire Yoko? Sure Sakurai "COULD" like her music, I'm not denying that, and she "COULD" also have nothing to do with Super Mario RPG in Brawl. But the point is, it doesn't necessarily work against our argument. Until proven false, we can believe in that assumption.

Lastly, I know that theres a lot of flaws in my argument. Sadly, I know that someone is bound to try and tear it apart, twist my reasons into something that favors their position (sounds kind of familiar..) and then try to educate me and find everything they can possibly do to prove me wrong. But, I say bring it on. If you can find any evidence that proves that Yoko did NOT create a Super Mario RPG track in Brawl, I say post it up. Don't you dare get me wrong and claim that I'm over here stating facts that Yoko confirms this or that garbage. But I know that the opposer can't say anything than Yoko COULD HAVE ALSO created something entirely unrelated to Brawl. That isn't proof though...

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman

1. What's the problem with the majority being hand-to-hand fighters?

2. Good point here. Forest Maze is NOT Geno's real theme, the ending theme is. But then again, Geno's real theme isn't really Brawl-appropriate, is it? Not like it matters, though.

3. Well, it's just a thought. Also, there's the fact that Cloud is utterly insignificant to Nintendo's history, making him very out-of-place with the rest of the Smashers.

4. No, but it DOES give us an accurate judge on who Sakurai's interested in. Even if Cloud was highly requested, if Sakurai doesn't care for him, he'll be an AT at best. This is what happened to Saki.

5. Also true. I got this wrong. Either way, though, Sora would be quite hard to aquire, seeing as Disney is a much bigger, much more expensive company than Square.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Music doesn't really lean one way or the other with these type of things. If you look at a bunch of the musical composers, you could basically assume that any company is working with Nintendo on this.

It doesn't really matter either if Cloud didn't do all to much for Nintendo, since Geno never really did either. He was just a secondary character in that RPG, and we already have three characters from it, so there's your representation.

Cloud's inclusion wouldn't induce a snowball effect any greater than Snake or Sonic. I don't see what the problem here is.

And you can't just come up with any reason and just expect it to be valid. You actually have to back it up. If you really think it's valid, then defend it for all its worth instead of asking for pitty, or blaming others that your points are being called invalid. And most of your reasons have been countered in a logical and reasonable manner, FYI.

And what does assumptions make out of you and me? In any case, the problem is that if you assume those things about Yoko's inclusion, then it's equally valid to assume that she's there for a Mario & Luigi Partners in Time remix and a Street Fighter II remix at the same time. Oh snap, Ryu has a chance!

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
It doesn't really matter either if Cloud didn't do all to much for Nintendo, since Geno never really did either. He was just a secondary character in that RPG, and we already have three characters from it, so there's your representation.
Secondary? Heh. If it wasn't for Geno in SMRPG there would really by much of a story past rescuing the Princess :p And the three characters from it aren't especially representing that game. We could say that we got 6+ more characters from any Mario sport game, like let's say, Mario strikers. Geno is SPECIFIC to SMRPG.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The SMRPG helped build a doorway for Nintendo's RPG's such as Paper Mario, Superstar Saga ETC. I think they acknowledged that when Geno had a small cameo in Superstar Saga. (Or maybe I'm analyzing too hard)

I tip my hat to Mallow, Mario, Geno, Bowser, and Peach as this RPG, which was very popular in it's time, made way for even greater games later. (Yes, not just Geno namely.)

And yes, collecting the Star Pieces was pretty much the main goal of the party, or at least what was the most pursued. Geno played an important role in that RPG, and I'm sure he'd fit into SSE snuggly, playing an important role there too.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Impending doom and the end of the world are things he normally deals with, even if it's not particularly a puppet. Heck, Bowser's goals basically take you to everything but the end, and since they all get sucked into Smithy's place anyways, it was inevitable.

Plus, those three are good enough, since they all had major roles. You can't go around giving specific characters for each game though, that'd just be crazy.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Impending doom and the end of the world are things he normally deals with, even if it's not particularly a puppet. Heck, Bowser's goals basically take you to everything but the end, and since they all get sucked into Smithy's place anyways, it was inevitable.

Plus, those three are good enough, since they all had major roles. You can't go around giving specific characters for each game though, that'd just be crazy.
Your reasonings mean **** all because of how much Geno is wanted playable, and Sakurai's gonna make him so.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Your reasonings mean **** all because of how much Geno is wanted playable, and Sakurai's gonna make him so.
Now really man, do you have to go off the deep end and say something like that? There is a much greater evidence to the contrary, but you still think that his fans will bail him out? They haven't bailed him out in so long, and he still has the same problems, so what's changed now?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Yes I do actually. Sonic being added was solely due to massive support and desire to play from the fans.

Smash Bros. has turned into a FANS game; I'm pretty sure Megaman has his spot secured from Capcom also (once again, the fans played a role in getting him hyped for Brawl)

Geno has alot going for him, tons of fans, and at this point it's safe to say, he has fair chances of making the cut.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I wouldn't say that Sonic is in solely because of the fans. And heck, you should never try to compare Geno to Sonic's level. Sonic vs. Mario is something that's had year's of history. There's no way that situation comes close to Geno's.

And Geno doesn't have the fans needed. He never has. He's a cult character sure, but if he was truly popular enough, something more than a cameo in a minigame would have happened. Nintendo cares about the guy as much as the Koopalings, but at least with them they are not third party. There have been multiple endeavors by both SE and Nintendo at the same time, and none of them added in Geno. If the character truly had the tons of fans that you claim he has, then he'd of course have more. The thing is, nothing has changed since then. Not even a VC release.

Really Mach, don't delude yourself with this. Cloud has more fans, and those fans could be added to Brawl to make your fan game. Same with a DQ representative. Heck, the odds are that Square's not involved at all. Geno's not that popular.

Top Bottom