• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Hey guys.. if I said.. "what game do you think of if I said Mario", is there anyone here that would say Super Mario RPG?

Theres nothing wrong with that if you do, I mean this is practically a Super Mario RPG support thread, but that isn't the point. There have been so many different games that Mario has been in, its difficult to choose just one. I'd be willing to bet that most older gamers would say "Super Mario Bros 1-3 of course", those that grew up in the 90s would probably be more inclined to say "Super Mario World, Mario Kart (64), Super Mario 64 etc.." I think you get the point. Mario doesn't belong to just one game and its difficult to say what makes him different throughout his games. Ok, so he gets FLUDD in certain games, I understand that much (or any other special tool for that matter but Mario will always have the same basic manuevers or moves for the most part).

But if I said.. "what game do you think of when I say Geno", almost everyone would say Super Mario RPG. The obvious reason being, thats the biggest role in a game he's ever had. The other one being is that Geno represents Super Mario RPG better than Mario himself. Geno is a clear distinction of what Super Mario RPG is. There is no mistaking him (if you've played Super Mario RPG, of course) but when it comes to Mario there are so many different things you could say.

I believe that Geno could represent Super Mario RPG very well in Brawl. I understand that Super Mario World was a HUGE game for the SNES, no question about it.. and its represented in Brawl. What about Super Mario RPG? Essentially, its the closet game to Super Mario World if you think about it. It probably has something to do with the fact that World was the first Mario game on SNES and SMRPG was the last Mario game on the SNES.

Just something to think about..
people think of mario rpg cause that was the only game he was in, not cause he represents the game.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
people think of mario rpg cause that was the only game he was in, not cause he represents the game.

Considering that he is by far the most popular original character from the SMRPG universe I'd say that he does represent the game...... but I guess that really hinges on what you mean by "represent".

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Wrong. Geno made a short cameo in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga but that wasn't my point.
Mario essentially does the same exact thing in every game and I know that there are exceptions. The point is, what makes Super Mario RPG Mario so much different than his appearances in his other games? There isn't a whole lot to work with. When thinking of Mario there are so many other games that can come to mind. Geno on the other hand will ALWAYS be a better representation than Mario and Bowser and Peach in Super Mario RPG. Bowser and Peach follow the same concept that Mario does. If you see Peach in Brawl, does Super Mario RPG come to mind? She doesn't necessarily represent a single game. On the other hand, there is no way you could look at Geno in Brawl and say that he represents something other than Super Mario RPG. I'm not typing all of this to try and "boost his chances".. this is merely an expression of something to think about when considering Geno for Brawl.

who says that mario rpg needs representation at all. Im sure it is a good game and that you all like it, but that doesn't mean that it NEEDS representation, and that geno NEEDS to be that representation. And i never said that because i didnt know him that he wouldnt get in. But it doesnt help his chances that most of the newer video gamers have not played or even heard of geno or mario rpg.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
enough of this bs that he was in two games, his other appearence was a unidentified cameo, for 5 seconds, giving info, in a minigame, in a gba game. Hell i had know idea who geno was or that that was him before i joined this site.
He still was important enough to make the credits in this whole big thing

He still was in

So you got nothing on that...

It's BS that you think it's BS just because it doesn't meet YOUR requirements

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
who says that mario rpg needs representation at all. Im sure it is a good game and that you all like it, but that doesn't mean that it NEEDS representation, and that geno NEEDS to be that representation. And i never said that because i didnt know him that he wouldnt get in. But it doesnt help his chances that most of the newer video gamers have not played or even heard of geno or mario rpg.
By that logic no game character NEEDS to be in Brawl or NEEDS to have their game/series represented in Brawl.

He still was important enough to make the credits in this whole big thing

He still was in

So you got nothing on that...

It's BS that you think it's BS just because it doesn't meet YOUR requirements
but your making it out that genos cameo was an integral part of the game, and that makes it better. But like i said it was insignificant. They could have had a toad do the mini-game, but threw in geno to please the old school rpg fans.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
True but some say so and so represents so and so game they appeared in yet its been a minor game or they've appeared once, some not even the main character, yet the fans want them in.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
*sigh here we go again*

To hate a character based on their fans is stupid thats like hating a food without trying it.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Why even come here in the first place if all they're going to do is tell us how much they don't like Geno? Is this thread some kind of magnet for n00bish Geno haters?

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot.. GENO FOR BRAWL!! Lets go Geno!

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Alright, I've been working on geno's stage. Don't get too excited, though. It looks really bad and was made in paint, but I bet you'll like it.

Anyway, I'm almost done...but I need one suggestion from you guys. What should the pass-through platforms be like? Like...where should they be positioned? Should they be battlefield-style, with 2 on bottom and 1 on top...or 2 spread out ones like pokemon stadium 2? Summit style which is like battlefield but the top one is more to the left?

What do you think? I need to know where to position the pass-through platforms. To give you a better idea, it's a static stage. Not a dynamic one. Thanks. :)

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for your suggestions guys. Well, I have to go right now. Sometime tomorrow night I will post the stage. I haven't finished it yet but it will be done tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Geno for Brawl! :)

Necro Pit

Smash Cadet
Is there a rumor about Geno being a newcomer this week?
I really hope he is in brawl.
Also two on top one on bottom for the stage and also stage hazards ftw.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
lol that rumor goes around every week.

edit:

@igloo: i can help you redraw the stage once you finish it, because i wanted to work on one too, just couldn't come up with any ideas. what stage are you doing? that way we have a better idea for possible stage hazards.

"Competition?!"

:laugh:

You are hilarious. Nintendo still makes the money, regardless of what game is purchased on the VC. The remaining creators/studios that made the games will receive a stipend, sure, but the profit is Nintendo's.

And do you think I care about what Nintendo markets? Hell no. I'm only concerned about what I like and what I enjoy. If I don't like Pokemon Snap, then I don't like it. I don't care if Nintendo likes it because it makes them money. It's completely irrelevant to mention something like that to gamers, considering that personal preference usually overrides names or conventions.

Smooth Criminal
*facepalm*

Someone may choose to buy one or the other, and not even buy the other because of it.

They do not want two popular games competing with each other. It's as simple as that. It's a fact that they typically spread apart significant releases so they don't coincide with each other. I never said SMRPG won't come out. I just said it won't be released next Monday.

And this is relevant to the convo - I'm explaining that Geno would not be revealed this week for the reason that SMRPG will come out this week. If he is announced, it won't be because SMRPG came out, because it simply won't come out this week. I could see it being the primary release in a following week, it's definitely plausible.

I'd like to post this for clarification for the ******* who questioned about it a bit ago

I'm sorry, I just gotta laugh at the insult and the fact that people are still trying to use some unknown news "source" as evidence.

SMRPGDS could very well exist, and I would probably buy it. But this news article is definitely nothing more than some silly rumor.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*facepalm*

Someone may choose to buy one or the other, and not even buy the other because of it.

They do not want two popular games competing with each other. It's as simple as that. It's a fact that they typically spread apart significant releases so they don't coincide with each other. I never said SMRPG won't come out. I just said it won't be released next Monday.

And this is relevant to the convo - I'm explaining that Geno would not be revealed this week for the reason that SMRPG will come out this week. If he is announced, it won't be because SMRPG came out, because it simply won't come out this week. I could see it being the primary release in a following week, it's definitely plausible.

I'm sorry, I just gotta laugh at the insult and the fact that people are still trying to use some unknown news "source" as evidence.

SMRPGDS could very well exist, and I would probably buy it. But this news article is definitely nothing more than some silly rumor.
I got to laugh that the most you do is make yourself look like a loser with no life and nothing better to do than troll...I mean seriously...

...DO you feel you have some kind of purpose here? All your doing is acting like an *******

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
I got to laugh that the most you do is make yourself look like a loser with no life and nothing better to do than troll...I mean seriously...

...DO you feel you have some kind of purpose here? All your doing is acting like an *******
Don't worry about that individual [that snitch fellow], the entire post was hypocritical.
EDIT: Just to make sure, I'm not directing that at you PsychoIncarnate. You've got one of the strongest positions I've seen on this thread. Cheers!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yes, there is. Keep in mind that all the rumors except the Sonic one (and it's common sense that he would be in, the guy spreading it was most likely just guessing), have been false so far.

Hypocritical? I'm pretty sure you're confused - see, hypocrisy means to contradict oneself. Ie, most of your statements.

And I'm sorry if reality is trolling. You honestly expect them to throw away the whole entire plan of theirs to release only one huge release per week? SMRPG won't come out next Monday because Nintendo has consistently shown that they only very rarely do more than one major VC release per week.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hypocritical? I'm pretty sure you're confused - see, hypocrisy means to contradict oneself. Ie, most of your statements.

And I'm sorry if reality is trolling. You honestly expect them to throw away the whole entire plan of theirs to release only one huge release per week? SMRPG won't come out next Monday because Nintendo has consistently shown that they only very rarely do more than one major VC release per week.
hehehehheheh u reminded me of something

Saki's game was relasead the same day Lucas was confirmed meaning that Sakurai might (Like he did with the FE music update) or might not (Like Saki's update) update Geno till later IF Geno is in.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice

Oh, I'm sorry, was that an attempt to educate me? :laugh:

First of all, I was never a hypocrite :laugh:.

Second of all, you said that we can't use the "unknown news source" as evidence to prove Geno's addition into Brawl and you turn around using the EXACT SAME LOGIC to prove he isn't in Brawl! Its just a silly rumor, remember? :chuckle:

Third of all, your claims are horribly inaccurate. Two Nintendo games competing with each other even if they are absolutely unrelated in every single way?

Fourth of all, next time you think you have a good argument make sure its actually accurate in some way.

Top Bottom