• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why is everyone so concerned with that? Who cares about some silly voting game? Geno isn't going to be any less cool, or any less worthy of any characters. I like that Geno is polarizing, cause when he's confirmed I can say "I supported him." I could care less what this site, or any site thinks about him.
Yes, but it's like an act to show superiority...

It raises moral

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Yes, but it's like an act to show superiority...

It raises moral
My moral, and everyones moral shouldn't need to be raised. Do you have doubts of Geno being in? I sure don't. It's not like we live in Peter Pan Land where the more you wish for it the more it will happen. I KNOW Geno is superior. I don't need some silly voting game to tell me that. My 2 cents.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My moral, and everyones moral shouldn't need to be raised. Do you have doubts of Geno being in? I sure don't. It's not like we live in Peter Pan Land where the more you wish for it the more it will happen. I KNOW Geno is superior. I don't need some silly voting game to tell me that. My 2 cents.
I dunno, I guess I'm just bored

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
You know whats interesting.. its probably been said before, but when it comes to the composers on the Smash Bros Dojo and Super Mario RPG.. the lady that did the music for Super Mario RPG is confirmed on the Dojo, but her work is cited as Kingdom Hearts. Ehh.. her other works (I mean the games she worked on, THOSE characters) don't really seem "Brawl" worthy, but maybe she was contracted to work on a remix of Geno's maze? I mean after all, at least ONE of those composers has worked on a Sonic the Hedgehog track. Hmm, I wonder why Sakurai failed to mention that.. oh yeah, to keep Sonic a secret until the perfect time.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
But the fact is IF you do compare Geno to a retro character he would just fail. So you know, just don't.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
All Geno fans are hardcore. If you are still a fan of him after 11 Years then it kind of filters out any doubts of loving him in your mind.

Ridley fans are just hardcore because of sheer awesomeness.

But the fact is IF you do compare Geno to a retro character he would just fail. So you know, just don't.
That logic is too great for me.

*Packs up bags and goes home*

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I was just warning you to not compare him to them. Because as I said if someone posts the reasons as to why he wouldn't get in as a retro character... it would be bleak.

And I doubt even 5/6 of the regulars posting here have known him for 11 years.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No megaman and ridley have more than geno has, and I have read about geno

to me he has as much potiential as omilar, wich I doubt omilar will be playible.

and look at how many mario characters are out there already
1. And? I don't understand why people use number of games as an arguement when it comes to characters that have obviously not appeared in a large number of games. Seriously, Megaman's been in more then 80, Ridley's been in 10 (includes the cameos in Smash Bros and Melee), and Geno has been in 2. Also, you're basically creating competition amongst people that aren't even in the same categories. Megaman obviously in the third party character category, Ridley classfies as a villian (where he has little competition) and a Metroid character (where he has even less), and Geno's basically a Mario character. With that said, Geno's competition consists of basically Paper Mario and Bowser Jr.

You also have to consider the context and significance of the individual games. SMRPG was the first Nintendo game to feature isometric 3D, it was the first major joint project between Nintendo and a third party, it was the first Mario game to feature a complete story, it was the first game where Mario characters really had personalities, it was the first Nintendo game to feature all of Miyamoto's current creations in one game (Mario, LoZ, DK, F-Zero, and Star Fox), it was basically the last major game released on the SNES, etc. Heck, Megaman may have over 80 games but the only one that people really think did anything significant for Capcom/gaming in general was Megaman 2 and for Ridley, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime were basically the major games that shaped the franchise to what it is today.

So, from that, the number of games isn't what matters, it's the significance of those games and the roles that the characters play that count.

2. Limited potential? Geno gives the developers more then a dozen moves on a silver plate and that's a heck of a lot more then what the Ice Climbers, Pit, Fox, Captain Falcon, etc intially gave the developers. Also, Pikmin is the only major Miyamoto franchise that is not yet represented by a playable character and sold several million copies with its two games, so if you don't think Olimar will be playable...

3. The "there's too many Mario characters" arguement is old. As of Melee, there's 5 and there's an extremelly good chance that Dr. Mario's going to get the boot. That leaves us with 4 characters, add one new one and you have what you had in Melee and add another one and you only have one more then what Melee had. With that said, if they decided to do that, we'd basically be getting two new characters for the price of one old (and widely disliked) one. Also, considering how the Mario franchise is Nintendo's flagship franchise, has over 100 games, has sold more then 100 million copies of games, basically saved the video game industry, and has been around since 1980, I think it's entitled to a meer 5 or 6 characters, don't you?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was just warning you to not compare him to them. Because as I said if someone posts the reasons as to why he wouldn't get in as a retro character... it would be bleak.

Now I don't know about that but when I was a kid Super Mario RPG was the big thing...

I at first HATED the idea of having characters that didn't come from Mario, playing the game changed my mind on that...

I could only rent the game to play it for the longest time so that was a freakin' special game when I could play it

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Same here. If people didn't know him for 11 Years then most people here have known him for at least 8 years. After that most people would of had to go out of their way to download a RoM to experience Geno in all of his glory.

SMRPG is a good childhood memory for a lot of people.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I don't think it really matters considering how SMRPG came out on the SNES's death bed and only like 4 months before Super Mario 64 was released and was basically sweeped under the rug especially when relations went really sour between Nintendo and Square in 1997. In other words, it's still the only Mario canon game that's 10 years or older that hasn't been re-released at least once so of course most people missed out on it. I'm glad I didn't though. :) Rented it at Blockbuster in June of 1996 and have loved it ever since.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Blasting Space Pirates is a better childhood memory... of course that's just me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Blasting Space Pirates is a better childhood memory... of course that's just me.
I didn't get to play Metroid until later on, during the N64 days...when I downloaded the games

UtopiaXD

Smash Apprentice
In a manner of speaking Geno is symbol that is SMRPG, the game consisted of many characters like mario,bowser,peach,etc that we already knew. But the heart of story revolved around the star road. Out of the characters you could control Geno really is what always come to mind when the game is mentioned. Mallow is awesome dont get me wrong I even like about the same as Geno, but when it comes to story as well as who belongs in brawl Geno is our man. He will forever deserve this spot in SSBB and will always be remebered for his role in SMRPG. (which in alot of people's mind was heart of the game even though mario was the main character)

Enigma14

Smash Champion
There are many reasons which im not going to point out as to why its canon.

But I wll say that Paper Mario IS Mario in paper form, Even have a pic in my "What about Paper Mario?" thread to prove that PM is in canon with Mario's timeline.

Also 5/6 regulars? Doubt it, theres more of us obviously who post often, Okina, Pyscho, Lemon, Snakz, ShadowBolt, SMW, Glinth, DynamiteSpoony, anyone who has geno in their name (I.E. Genosall) Fatman....even Geno fans or supporters like Alt_Delete and Shuma.

TBH I didn't even know of Geno until....5-6 years ago when my cousin was playing SMRPG, at that point I had broken his N64, gameboy and dropped his GBA cause im a butterfingers so i dled a rom and loved it. after i played PM and searched the internet between the connection, found out and in 03' played M&L:SS and Geno was there!

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Oh you know what I just had a thought, Geno should appear in Galazy :D he's a star being after all.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah we were talking about that, but no one has managed to find him yet if he is in the game. I didn't really expect to see him in Super Mario Galaxy anyway.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
I've been a Mario RPG fan since the game first came out in May 1996.

My dad bought it when it first came out and my younger brother and I were immediately hooked on it. ^_^

And yes, a Geno appearance in Galaxy would be made of pure epic win. ^^

y3nia659

Smash Ace
it would have been a neat thing, at least a cameo. I haven't played Galaxy, it's sold out all the time here.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
There are many reasons which im not going to point out as to why its canon.

But I wll say that Paper Mario IS Mario in paper form, Even have a pic in my "What about Paper Mario?" thread to prove that PM is in canon with Mario's timeline.

Also 5/6 regulars? Doubt it, theres more of us obviously who post often, Okina, Pyscho, Lemon, Snakz, ShadowBolt, SMW, anyone who has geno in their name (I.E. Genosall) Fatman....even non Geno fans or supporters like Alt_Delete and Shuma.

TBH I didn't even know of Geno until....5-6 years ago when my cousin was playing SMRPG, at that point I had broken his N64, gameboy and dropped his GBA cause im a butterfingers so i dled a rom and loved it. after i played PM and searched the internet between the connection, found out and in 03' played M&L:SS and Geno was there!
I post pretty often toooo D:
Well, when I can...

Top Bottom