• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
"Tips and advice welcome (from those of you that are better than us)"

You should be a bit careful with your words, but I digress.

You have excellent stage control. I was quite impressed with that. However you made silly errors on the edge(which is something we all do from time to time, we are human after all) which got you killed. You have to switch up your recoveries. The Marth caught on to your repetitive side Bs. You should also switch up the way you return onto the stage too. I'm amazed how that Marth fell for the same ledge hop double laser again and again. His spacing/edge game also needs a lot of work but I'll save those comments for the Marth forums.

But overall good Falco. Just polish up your edge game/ ^^

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
You have to polish up on your teck skill. Practice your SHFFLing your aerials. This alone will speed up your game. Your need to smooth out your laser game. It isn't very fluid just yet. Are you watching your foe as you play? There were times were it just seemed the two of you were attacking empty space. Keep a constant eye on your foe and react accordingly. This of course just takes experience which you WILL gain the more you play. As you play you'll understand some of the basic human tendencies. Learning how to notice and react accordingly is what smash is all about.

Example: You knock your foe to the ground. You run/walk on top of them and put up your shield. There is a chance they will do a wakeup attack, which you block and grab. But if you put shield and they roll forward/backward simply run after them and grab. These are just one out of the many things you as a smasher will eventually notice and punish to the point were it becomes second nature.

Quick question, how long have you been playing Falco? It just looks like you can't control him just yet. Just keep practicing you'll be fine. As I tell others, if you want it bad enough you will someday become skilled. ^^

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Critique my Falco!

Getting ready for a tournament on Saturday and would like some advice please! :)

Lickuid (Falco) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Green Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt_0MPv3Lw&feature=channel_page

iiCaptain (Falco) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Green Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JqJE5eAzOf4&feature=channel_page

iiCaptain (Ice Climbers) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZt-WCbcmc&feature=channel_page

Lickuid (C. Falcon) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ybTGfta8VuY&feature=channel_page

iiCaptain (Fox) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDUY40Jtzc&feature=channel_page

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjugiWWY2w&feature=channel_page

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lLxhgWf2CSI&feature=channel_page

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_Hg8kv_Uo&feature=channel_page

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vrnQl2mn_OU&feature=channel_page

iiCaptain (Jigglypuff) vs. Blunted_Object (Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wb0b7aRNEc&feature=channel_page

iiCaptain (Jigglypuff) vs. Blunted_Object10 (Falco)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgNcaeJ9qk&feature=channel

Tyson651

Smash Lord
why would u need anyone to critique ur falco :p

edit: wheres carl? haha

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
Erm... I have been playing Falco for.... maybe 3-5 months. Marth is my main, but my mindgames have always been weak. At least with Falco, you can practice the technical skill a lot (it's not my gift, but I'm willing to put in time) and do pretty well. Mind games are still important, but I think to a slightly lesser degree, so Falco is slowly becoming more of my main.

PB&J

Smash Hero
he is 16..check the to4 interviews..mango i just watch you play lucky ..when u went falco..your falco is pretty good..i was impressed a little

just a question..is there any good ganons on the west coast anymore..just curious

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Vids of my Falco... I needs some help, big time

So, after not being allowed to play Melee for a month (I'm still in high school... ) my parents finally let me go to a tourney again. There, I learned that I was way more out of practice than I originally thought. I thought that after about 10 friendlies everything would come back, but I was wrong... That being said here's the most recent videos (and only videos) of my Falco. btw the sound is off on first two vids.

Critique/help me please? =P

Dark Hart (Falco) vs. Foxy (Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVYVFX8Qgk&feature=channel_page - This was a $5 money match, so only watch the first match. (Unless you really want to my Peach beat a Jiggz...)

Dark Hart (Falco) vs. Foxy (Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAtaF1cJqcM&feature=channel_page - This is part of that same money match, and once again I only played Falco in the first match.

Dark Hart (Falco) vs. Jim aka Kid 2 (Ganondorf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-cNZnq_5I&feature=channel_page - Tourney set. I got 2-0'd. Yet again, I only played Falco in the first match. Feel free to watch the second.

Watching these myself, I feel like I'm doing the right things (mostly). I'm just really slow and have horrible reaction time and tech skill now...

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I'll mostly likely have other vids up at some point.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
well you seem to move more fluently while comboing.

Be sure that your movement also is fluent.

And after watching the first vid your strategy seemed to be like

1. watch where the enemy is
2. jump there
3. attack
4. repeat

In other words it looked like you play very mindlessly =/

Binx

Smash Master
I agree with the above poster, also you laser too high, you need to press b faster after you jump, asside from that mix up your approaches, space nairs more and when you drill try and drill behind people, drill behind and then short hop bair, another drill, or utilt are great options, they provide a lot of pressure at little risk.

Use your wavedash to space and throw off your approach, laser move closer, laser, wavedash back laser, laser, laser, move in and laser, then grab or laser then drill, is a lot less expected than just using laser laser run and attack. When the falcon was on platforms you can use shine waveland to add pressure, or just short hop a bair or uair. Tech in place shine can throw off worse Falcon's like the one you were playing against.

For sure you need to grab a LOT more, I don't think I saw a single grab in either match, Falco has a really good shield pressure game, but even he needs to grab, its free % and it adds of pressure.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I hate grabbing with Falco. :urg:

Unless I'm throwing people of the edge.

I down-throw sometimes and tech-chase it into things, or into down-smash on Fox.

Grabbing with Falco just feels weird to me...

Binx

Smash Master
Forward throw is good vs any character and uthrow wrecks Fox and Marth.

this is why you should use grabs

Notice he used Nairs, grabs and dash dancing to change up his approach pattern, he also lasers A LOT more than most people, and it *****, my friend plays a lot like this too and it adds a ton of pressure and makes it really hard to think.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Thanks Binx.

My problem with Up-Throw is that I can hardly ever connect it with anything. Even when I was able to play and my spacing and tech were better, it never really connected and I'm not sure why.

Dr. Peepee where you at?

Binx

Smash Master
I have the problem with up throw also, you just need to read their DI really quickly and make a decision, vs fox at lower percents it can combo into a forward smash, and vs Marth you can nair, uair, or bair depending on DI but you have to act really fast or he can fair you. With Fox at higher percents I'm not sure if its better to uthrow or fthrow, vs Puff I just backthrow or Fthrow and go for well spaced attacks, Puffs scare me lols.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Afaik you can DI the uthrow in a way the Falco can't follow up (with SDIing the Lasers)

But the point of Falco's grab is that it should hit your enemy when he doesn't expect it so he will mess up his DI.

IF you always uthrow and your trainingpartner gets used to DIing them good ...

why don't you just bthrow and see if you can connect sth?

PB&J

Smash Hero
watch lambchops and u see grabing wih falco is one of his best things and which makes him second best falco...sometimes trying to react too quickly will mess u up..because sometimes u will second guess your self..just start slow and do what works and then the rest comes easy

rice

Smash Journeyman
Hm, i like that you pass right through the opponent with aerials. I only watched 2 of the matches, And your reverse lasering is terrible. (from what i saw). The only recovery move you use is the side-b, which is terrible. It has absolutely no priority as an attack. I bet if you shine, where you would side-b, your opponent would react to it. then you could up-b back on, (depends on opponent... most people don't use laggy moves to edgeguard =/)But yea, you only use the up-b when you're too low, and you got hit out of your side-b.....
Some approaches that can be used... (which i think is the best) is laser into shine on their shield.
I also noticed (maybe? i was watching mangos falco like 5 min earlier lol) that you just rush in without lasering, when you're really close to them (example would be if you teched straight up next to them). Imo, falcos approach is terrible without a laser protecting you, because you pretty much come in with a vertical attack. Which brings me to my next point, you should n-air more. But, you were playing a peach, so i understand why you were d-air'ing so much. And another thing, mix everything up, f-throw, b-throw.... do things fast that make the opponent go like wtf?
eh, w/e
im not good at helping people, and you'll prolly disregard anything i say anyways.

Binx

Smash Master
I'm gonna do match 1 on YS because its one of the shorter ones and I love that map.

Your first mistake is at 3 seconds when you choose to go below peach rather than stay above her, at the very beginning of the match you have momentum because you hit with an early laser, you should have either lasers some more until she moved then try and take advantage of her approach, or take to the sky, Peach doesn't have anything from below Falco, really take advantage of that with good aerial mixups.

at 7 seconds your approach is predictable, it works though so I can't really get down on you too bad, definitely mix it up a little bit with dash dances, its okay to be fast and aggressive like this too but don't let it become a habit.

9 seconds you miss the shine, I thought it would hit too but its something to note, go for nairs in that situation next time for the free damage.

10 seconds you fail to follow up on a solid drill, it was CCed, so you could have gabbed, or shined, utilt could work but is dangerous because she could dsmash before it goes off. Even another short hop drill could have been good to continue pressure, although she could Up B out of that if she expected it.

I liked your double drill shortly after that, it was solid pressure, its good that you don't shine all the time needlessly, thats a big problem most people have.

Great job at 20 seconds with the jab dsmash, I would have shot some lasers to force a drop and tried for a ledgeguard of some kind though.

32 seconds I don't like your fsmash, it worked though. But if it hadn't you would have been in a bad position.

38.5 seconds you should have utilted, it almost looked like you tried and missed it, overall though good stuff. Had you landed that tilt though you were just a shine away from the stock ^_^

51 seconds you use a get up attack, I would go for a waveland on the platform or get up with a drill or nair.

58 seconds you miss space the bair, you probably should have airdodged onto the platform for a better position.

1:01 - I think you could have airdodged onto the cloud, forward b was a predictable choice but not bad, I don't know if you really had another option for sure.

1:08 - after 1 or 2 lasers just space yourself from the ledge and be patient, dash dance camp and follow up his get up option. Or even stand still, the most important thing is that peach can't really ledge hop so she has less options than other characters.

1:13 - fsmash again ^_^

1:25 - great combo beforehand, after the shine though you should have immediately done a bair to continue the combo. Textbook and well executed though =)

1:27 - you could have done better laser pressure with a fullhop triple laser

1:37 - you should have turned around and moved a little, gotten to a platform or spaced a bair

1:43 - waveland on the top platform drop through and punish the dsmash

1:47 - I don't like jab vs peach

2:00 - 2:09 - spaced nairs would have been a better pressure option, try and provoke a reaction with safe attacks and punish.

2:20 - good recovery and good followup, although dsmash would have been a poor choice had he not rolled, it still wouldn't leave you open.

2:34 - good platform drop, drill a little later to prevent grabs, this is the type of thing you should be doing the whole match, stay above that cheap hooker.

2:48 you do another get up attack that gets you killed. Learn to waveland and double laser back to the ledge.

Otherwise not bad, just work on your decision making skills.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
pb and j

my falco is 2 good

it doesnt even combo

lol

and nah we dont have ne

ganons

hella only

PB&J

Smash Hero
just wanted to know..man genesis is going to be sick man...its going to be like the superbowl of smash..hey mango..ur up and coming tourny play puff at least three matches or something

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I saw a few shine combos going on, so good job in that department. Just keep working on them. Now for the actual advice. You have to sharpen your l canceling. I think you are missing a little too many, especially when your aerials hit shields. Mastering that alone will speed up your game. You also seem to get nervous when off the stage. Remember, side B isn't Falco's only option to recover. If you get thrown off the stage (especially at low percents) try getting into the habit of falling a little below the stage and sweet spotting with your double jump. Also use sweet spot Up Bs as well. More grabs too oh and don't forget to JC them as well.

You also need to work on your edge guarding. On better players it will take a lot more then dair to kill your opponents. Get into the the habit of grabbing the stage and intercepting recoveries with your bair, dair (and if you feel really creative nair). Keep in mind when you do this keep grabbing and letting go of the edge to renew your frames. But yeah I think you are on the road to a solid Falco...you have a pretty basic understanding, so I think you'll be fine.

Top Bottom