• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
The ditto is probably one of the most infuriating MUs in the entire game. I played... IDK probably 100+ Falco dittos in friendlies today at our Arcadian, and that was the only way for me to get better at it. You have to just get your face beat in again and again in order to improve at this MU. If there are any pretty good Falco's in your area that'd be willing to do just that for you, see if you can meet up at some point.
i have no way off getting anywhere except by bus which is like 40$ just to go on a 2hour trip

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
i have no way off getting anywhere except by bus which is like 40$ just to go on a 2hour trip
Yeah, I get that. I was lucky enough to have an Arcadian yesterday to get my face beaten in at and then hopefully I"ll have another tourney on Saturday because somebody was nice enough to rent out the venue two weeks in a row for separate events. But wow I'm starting to understand burnout from playing that long and that focused yesterday.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Went to 2 locals this week for the first time in a long time. It has been tough practicing with no other players around me, but I think I'm still making progress. I only had 1 match on stream yesterday, and I wish there had been a better video to show (since I won the set pretty handily), but I'm sure there are still a ton of mistakes. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it alot.

https://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/v/53849442?t=1h10m01s

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
TallandGangly TallandGangly If you could get that into a YouTube video, it'd be great. My laptop struggles to run source quality Twitch VODs at even 10fps, so I can't really do critique. Not saying that holds true of everybody, but YouTube videos are almost always better.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
TallandGangly TallandGangly If you could get that into a YouTube video, it'd be great. My laptop struggles to run source quality Twitch VODs at even 10fps, so I can't really do critique. Not saying that holds true of everybody, but YouTube videos are almost always better.
I got it for you right here! Let me know if there is anything else you need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTMsmKzvZA

Again, I wish I had a better set to send in. My opponent wasn't amazing, and let me get away a ton of things I'm sure.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
(I'm not going to point out your simple tech flubs as I'm sure you saw them.)

One thing I'm seeing a lot of right off the bat is actually very few lasers. I really like how you just did your best to work your way around him in the neutral game, especially since he threw out his aerials where you were, not where you could have been. However, I feel like both of you could have been more proactive in trying to hit each other in the neutral. Mixing AC bairs and utilts into that movement probably would've gotten you a lot of mileage, and he could've gotten some hits by doing more nairs and drills as you ran past him repeatedly.

Something I saw super early in game one was some really unsafe shield pressure. Safe shine nair -> WD to other side of his shield -> dubshine that you got stuck in. Honestly, I would've opted for a shinegrab 100% of the time right there. I say keep using it till he proves he can escape.

Your laser game was pretty solid overall, but I felt that you were either shooting (depending on the time) way too many mid-height lasers or way too many low lasers. It didn't feel like you had a good mix of them.

The main thing that I want to camp on is how you were approaching. It felt very predictable overall. Especially in the first game, it felt like you did the same thing over and over again with lasers. On a very predictable pattern it was
-Standing laser
-Dash in laser
-Dash in laser
-Aerial
With between 1 and 3 dash in lasers depending on spacing. I feel like even a short DD in between some of the lasers would have helped you out a ton because I was actually feeling your rhythm as I watched your Falco. Laser approaches go super far to telling your opponent the speed at which you like to play, so it's imperative that you mix all that up as much as you can, even if it's just a few short frames.

I feel like your opponent recognized that most of the first game was him getting shut down by lasers because he couldn't control the platforms well, so he took you to YS to prevent that from happening. On this stage, it felt like you never lasered and just kept on going in. You'd move through him for a few seconds, then rush in with a dair hoping to get your combo started. If the dair missed, you either shot a laser to CYA or just kept on moving. Once again, just mix up your timing when approaching. My bro (Sheik main) knows my natural rhythm really well, so if I get him in shield, he used to get a lot of shieldgrabs. Now, I DD for just a moment (though I vary it every time) to make him try to get a read and then move in and punish.

Even if they couldn't outplay your platform game, which was in no way extraordinary, I feel like your opponents could pretty easily beat you just by tapping into your rhythm and punishing you for working at the same pace all the time. It's not easy to mix up, but try to work on it against any regular training partners you have, or even just against CPUs. I know it's not perfect practice, but it's better than nothing. I look forwards to seeing you improve, though. Good luck!

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXiFm9y6Rg
The Red 20YY Falco at the start is me. I know I'm bad. The main thing that I noticed immediately is that my platform game is really bad, so I've been putting conscious effort into improving it. Outside of that, lemme know. Thanks! (NOTE, they did not need to change my profile pic)

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Too much time in shield.
No DD mixed in with laser game.
No late aerials on shield (though the use of cross ups is good if a bit predictable).

Better in the second game.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Hey guys, brazilian falco player here!
Could you give me some advices, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Kr0xA1LME
Sorry for the potato quality!
1.) Your laser control needs a LOT of work. High lasers are good for calling out short hops, but they're not horribly great outside of that. Most of the lasers I saw you shoot went over the Fox.

2.) Pay attention to your opponent more. A lot of the time it felt like you'd decided your next several input sequences before you even saw where the Fox was. Several times you shot a high laser and approached with a nair without taking into account that he just ran away after the laser missed, giving you room to laser more. Focus on your opponent.

3.) Generally speaking, work on your techskill. There were a lot of clear tech flubs, and you can get punished super quickly and easily for making a very small one.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
The single biggest issue that I saw in the set you played against MG was a lack of mixups. You did an alright job at DDing in between lasers, but when it came to when you decided to approach, it was a very simple run in nair (almost?) every time. You also didn't have him afraid of your pressure at all, so he was happy to just sit in shield for a moment when you opted to approach. Outside of that, your punish game wasn't all that smooth. You had a few pretty nice sequences, but outside of that you really just got stray hits and bairs. One big thing that might help is to remember to WD out whenever you shine somebody. If they're to your right when the shine hits, you WD to the right. If they're to your left, you WD left. It ensures that you can get followups all the time if you react in time.

I think your single biggest issue against MPrime was not having experience in the laser war. If you have the chance, I'd just recommend finding a local Falco that's willing to ditto you for a while so you can just figure out what to do when you're getting lasered and/or trying to establish laser pressure of your own.

Keep up the good work, make your movement a bit crispier, and have fun!

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I thought you did extremely well overall, to be honest. You knew what you were doing when it came to the laser war and took your openings really far by playing patiently and keeping up positional pressure. When he tried to escape you, you did really simple things to stop him again. I suppose I could rewatch it and see if there were any super specific situations that I saw where I thought you could do better, but I liked what I saw overall.

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I'm a Falco player from NJ and i've been training with StriCNYN3 and LLDL for some time now. I played Stric at the bird's nest recently and was wondering if anyone would like to give me some advice on how to handle certain situations better? I definitely had a bunch of times where I stuttered or flubbed but aside from those times I could really use some insight on how to DI certain moves better and just need better ideas on positioning and option selection. Let me know any thoughts that you guys might have! I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

Here's the set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhkHDznqGkc&t=319s

Zen100

Smash Rookie
Hello all I want to get better with Falco and I want to know what i should practice in order to get better. I guess what I mean is what is Important to practice in order to improve with falco.

Tanwad

Smash Rookie
Hello all I want to get better with Falco and I want to know what i should practice in order to get better. I guess what I mean is what is Important to practice in order to improve with falco.
I'm newer to Falco but PP tends to stress practicing fundamentals a lot. Like little movements over and over again until you can execute perfectly every time. For falco specific stuff, combos on various characters, waveshining, moving with lasers, SHFFLd aerials, and your basic movement options (wavedashing, wavelanding, ledgedashing, etc) is a good place to start.

M2thearth

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate any advice on my set against Marth. I'm looking for advice on my punish game which I'm currently working on. I know my neutral game is horrible too but I just want to focus on my punish game first. Most of my combos I only give about 20-30% of damage. So I need a lot of work there. And any general tips against Marth.

I did my best to do my own analysis so feedback would be appreciated. It's probably all wrong thinking lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFYbNuuxPA

Apologies for the sound quality.

Game 1
0:49

1. 31% > 75% = 44% damage
2. The combo ended because of get up attack
3. I could have uptilit after the second dair, downsmash, or shine. Possibly dash attack after first dair?

Notes: If Marth is at 55% in tumble what's a good follow up? Dash attack? Downtilt? Downsmash?

2:10

1. 20% damage
2. The combo ended because I did the incorrect aerial (dair) for the opponent's DI.
3. I probably should have done a bair or uair.

2:24

1. 59% >77% = 18%
2. The combo ended because there was no follow up after dairing Marth onto platform. (Bad techchase)
3. I always miss these when the opponent hits the ground because they are invincible for a few frames. Not sure what to do.

Game 2
7:22

1. 28% > 51% = 23%
2. The combo ended because there was no follow up after the uptilt.
3. I should have shined onto the platform. or bair, or uair.

Game 3
8:21

1. 13% >35% = 22%

I don't think I should have down tilted at that percent

8:24

1. 35% . 47% = 12%
2. I daired Marth at 35%. Since he was DIing towards me AND I drifted too much forward with the dair I couldn't connect with uptilt.
3. I should have shined or maybe reacted and wavedashed back and shined? Or Fsmashed him after the dair.

8:28

1. 47% > 67% = 20%
2. The combo ended because I didn't follow up after the dair.
3. Not sure

9:07

1. 2% > 14% = 12%
2. The combo ended because there was no follow up after the nair.
3. I should have realized I hit Marth while he was in the air and followed up with an uptilt.

9:09

1. 14% > 42% = 28%
2. Confused by this. Did he smash DI the dair? How was he able to get out of stun that quick after the dair?

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
I won't do timestamps on twitch vods, but I've got some general strategies and some specifics.

A couple of thoughts on a quick watch:

1. You do some really clean and technical stuff, but also get punished going for it unnecessarily. For example, on the YS game you try to go for a shine waveland at one point (into presumably waveland off bair, you were doing those a lot), but biff it on the shine, airdodge down, and you get punished. If you're going to go for technical things, you either need to take the zain approach and don't try it in game until you can do it 100 times out of 100 in the lab, or keep it simpler. If you're trying to trick them with shine waveland off bair, why not just fullhop waveland off bair instead? The shine's unnecessary to what you're trying to accomplish, so you're adding frame-tight inputs for no real reason or purpose. Cut out the fat and keep the purpose.

2. You do a nice job with your move choices based on the zone he's in, but you're not paying close attention to *what* he's actually doing in those zones. For example, if he's on the side plat and you're on the ground at the ledge, you're good about doing running sh upairs to snipe him on the platform (instead of the nooby thing of doing advancing sh dair which covers nothing), however, you also have a bad habit of going into 1P mode and not paying attention to how he's getting out of your stuff. There was a point in the DL game where you were on the right side plat and he was dash dancing on the ground under the left side platform. You didn't zone him here at all, you didn't bait him at all, you just ran at him with a SH dair and got punished. It was super obvious: you saw where he was and tried to hit him there, but you weren't paying attention to what he was actually doing (dash dancing to bait out exactly what you did) and got punished. Recognize when he is and isn't committing to something, and don't fall for day 1 baits like that. If you aren't ready to play the micro baiting game, play the macro strategy game. The difference in this specific situation would be that the macro situation would be to fall through the platform with a laser; if it hits you get frame advantage, if he jumps over it, you have stage control, and either way you stay safe. The micro bait would be recognizing that he's trying to bait you, so you go for the counter; either sh towards him with a low laser into dash back, or sh towards him into waveland back to bait out his whiff punish. You did neither, you just went in where you saw him without thinking about what he was doing there.

3. Waiting to see what he does is also going to improve your techchasing game, which at the moment needs work. Generally speaking, when you're techchasing you want to do your best to cover as many options at once as you can, and then react to cover the others. There were many times when you'd get a knockdown, and you'd try to follow up immediately as though you expected them to miss the tech, but then you'd miss the techchase because you were only covering that one option well and failing to follow up on the others. So like, if you get a knockdown with your waveland off bair, then you're going to be knocking them away from you; their best option is to roll away, because you can't really follow up. So in that situation, you'd laser to cover the roll away. But until they actually choose that option, you have several others to cover. If you land off that bair and try to follow up with a dashing sh laser to cover the roll away, you cover that option super hard, but sacrifice your ability to adequately cover the tech in place and tech roll in options. Depending on %, you may also sacrifice your ability to cover the missed tech because your dash will carry you too far. But instead, if you do a *slightly* advancing sh laser towards, you could even position yourself in such a way that you can cover tech roll away *and* missed tech with the laser, tech in place by waiting for it and shining/turnaround uptilting, and tech roll in by having center stage and reacting with an approach. True, you lose the ability to follow up on the most likely option as hard as possible, but you make up for it by not losing so hard to mixups. Your goal is to maintain as good a state of advantage as possible, and there's a bigger risk of losing that advantage when you start going for harder commitments in techchase scenarios. Start with option coverage & reactions, and make reads only when you see a definitive pattern.

4. Last thing I want to point out is that although your move selection in neutral is pretty good, your combo game needs to be much better. I don't think I saw you hit your bread & butter 0-45% dair shine dair shine more than once the whole set; not because he was particularly apt at getting out of it, but because you elected to go for move mixups where none were needed. There was once on the PS game where you did dair shine dair dtilt at like 25%. He got out and you reset to neutral. There was another time on that same game (near the end), where you did dair shine dair shine into shine bair at like 45%; it missed, but even if it hit, it wouldn't have sent him offstage and there would have been no way for you to follow up even had it hit. Now, the thing is that these options have their place, but *only* as DI mixups, and you need to force those mixups out of them. So you need to demonstrate that if he's going to hard DI away your dair shine b&bs every time, that you can follow up with dair shine dair shine dair -> followup into a full combo, every time. You need to show him that you'll cover that option every time, to force him to try to mix up his DI with hard in or SDI behind; *that's* where you're going to get the meaty dtilt mixup (although even there you should still be going for a bnb). If you get a shine on Fox between 0-10%, there is no excuse for not getting them to 45-50% every time, and that's where you have the first mixup to extend the combo. Getting that combo extender is the difference between having to put 3-5 combos together every stock, and being able to consistently kill him off a hit. You should never end a combo early against fox unless it'll send them offstage to the point where they have to burn a dj getting back. So for example, dair shine dair shine nair Fsmash is an early edgeguard against fox; contrast that with dair shine dair shine dair grab -> throw mixup or dair -> dtilt or dair -> turnaround uptilt, which would extend the combo a little longer. Definitely work on getting more off your hits, fox should be scared of your ability to kill them and this guy simply isn't.

Hope that helps, dude. You were doing a lot of stuff well and in particular I liked your move selection in neutral; you played it generally pretty safe and you were spacing well. It's just that as soon as you had the advantage, you didn't have much of a sense of how to keep it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom