• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Dtilt Spike Topic

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Ok, don't know if it's known already..... with my story.
Nice find. So what is the best and I guess most common way to use this spike? The way it happens in your video is not a very likely situation. How has this move worked out with most of your matches?

Does it matter what the opponent uses to get up from ledge?(its hard to test against CPU)Nice find however.
And are we ever going to stop discover new (edgeguard) things with link?

@Finns7: Link is not anywhere close to broken (yet... but after we have found all of the 432 AT:s that is link exclusive, he is broken...)

Izaw

Smash Ace
Say WHHHAAT XD! omg great discovery. I luv you, will try this out right now o.O.

By the way.. wow :/ wierd.. facing the wrong way makes it spike... WTF was Sakurai smoking o.O?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Whoa! O_o
That's crazy amazing.
This looks extremely awesome.
A good way to approach the ledge effectively (I'm gonna guess) is to roll backwards! XD
Nice find.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Great find sasook! Now my link can pwn some more woot! Btw do you guys recognize me from sbr you know Twilight Link?( i forgot an "i" in Twilight when i made this account XD

Bouse

Smash Ace
Say WHHHAAT XD! omg great discovery. I luv you, will try this out right now o.O.

By the way.. wow :/ wierd.. facing the wrong way makes it spike... WTF was Sakurai smoking o.O?
It's a shorter list to ask what drugs he wasn't on when he designed the game.

D

Deleted member

it does the same thing if you face forward lol...

the reason why it does this is because they get hit with the spike hitbox, which i think is on the tip of his sword, and inside his body.

Finns7

Smash Ace
I practiced this a while back. I still have not found a way to use it in my game effectively. It works facing forward too...Its like a t bag spike when facing forward.

sasook

Smash Champion
I practiced this a while back. I still have not found a way to use it in my game effectively. It works facing forward too...Its like a t bag spike when facing forward.
Every time I try it facing forward, the opponent goes upwards. At least this way they always go down.

it does the same thing if you face forward lol...

the reason why it does this is because they get hit with the spike hitbox, which i think is on the tip of his sword, and inside his body.
Yes, the hitbox is in his body. But if I face forward and try to hit the tip of the sword, they go upwards. If you have some more info on this, please post.

Finns7

Smash Ace
I practiced this and they went down...idk the move has a wierd hitbox anyway.

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
"Some of Link’s strong down attacks will cause an opponent to fall as well."

I think Sakurai means the spike is random :(

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Does it matter what the opponent uses to get up from ledge?(its hard to test against CPU)Nice find however.
And are we ever going to stop discover new (edgeguard) things with link?

@Finns7: Link is not anywhere close to broken (yet... but after we have found all of the 432 AT:s that is link exclusive, he is broken...)
It's been discovered on the Ness forums that for every form of ledge recovery, there is a moment where the invincibility is out yet there is not any stage beneath you.

So, a spike with the right hitbox can get someone if your timing is good.

Ness' dair can do it, and it appears Link's dtilt can too.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
Well sasook, it seems I have something new to watch out for, this backwards ledge spike thing could be used with the right mind games, but now I know not to fall for it. I wonder if other characters have similar edge spikes that work backwards. Either way, useful or not, interesting find.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
Awesome find....thanks for posting this.

*wonders if other characters have something similar to this*

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I saw this on the Mario boards and I haven't really noticed it till now. I know how I'll be edge-guarding with Link now.

Awesome Link btw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wait, what do you mean you discovered this? Wasn't this common knowledge? Link's D-tilt is ALWAYS a spike in Brawl. On the ground your opponent has nowhere to go but up, making it the only occasion where it doesn't spike.

It's just that you'll never actually ledgeguard with it since it's much too situational.

I don't see where the hype is coming from.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Wait, what do you mean you discovered this? Wasn't this common knowledge? Link's D-tilt is ALWAYS a spike in Brawl. On the ground your opponent has nowhere to go but up, making it the only occasion where it doesn't spike.

It's just that you'll never actually ledgeguard with it since it's much too situational.

I don't see where the hype is coming from.
No, it always spiked in melee. This is not the case with brawl.

Go test it in brawl with a 2nd person. Have someone ledge jump and you face forward, you will still hit them up. Now turn around and try, and it will spike him. The spiking hitbox is inside Link, rather than on the entire sword.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
This is pretty amazing, I can't wait to do that to my brother this weekend, he will be like wtfpwnage, that is almost as amazing as getting a Luigi dtaunt off, haha.

sasook

Smash Champion
well, I'm back from vacation. And wow, thanks everybody! I didn't think I'd get this much praise!

Anyways, question: Even though I learned of this backwards spike, anyone know how to do the forward version? Like on a consistent basis?

D

Deleted member

hit with the tip of the sword while theyre bellow the stage

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
amazing timing. I just picked up Link since I've had tons of fun with on random (and the occasional pick here and there) and got decent with him after watching Izaw's vid (thank you, my fellow swede. ^_^) and as soon as I get on the Link boards this is discovered a few days earlier? my timing is way too good lol. good stuff, man. hats off and all such jazz.

although this makes my head hurt. a teenage boy with a sword coming from above right into your forehead doesn't send you downwards, but his feet touching you when he's slashing his sword across the floor that is far away from you does? ugh, migraine. >_<

Top Bottom