• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Dtilt Spike Topic

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Well, it's faster than Link's normal run. I thought you were suggesting the usge of the fast movement to get to the edge more quickly, then simply turn around and reverse Dtilt spike. But i dont know, it seems like the usmash lag would kind of ruin it. :(
lol No I was referring to the reverse BOMB DAC lol. It works well for turning around.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
lol No I was referring to the reverse BOMB DAC lol. It works well for turning around.
yes, and the reverse bomb DAC also gives Link a bigger push backwards while sliding than the reverse cancel. They both need to be tested, (Reverse bomb DAC throw, Reverse cancel) but both seem like great ideas.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I should make a vid lol and if I do, I'll make a thread I guess. I won't be able to actually do the reverse dtilt spike but I'll do some of the setups.

sasook

Smash Champion
Ooooohhhhh thanks for clearing that up blu link.

yes, and the reverse bomb DAC also gives Link a bigger push backwards while sliding than the reverse cancel. They both need to be tested, (Reverse bomb DAC throw, Reverse cancel) but both seem like great ideas.
Hmm, this is true, I didn't think of that.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
You're welcome lol. I'll make the vid tomorrow for sure. :p So yup, if I can pull of the reverse Bomb DAC (I can't bomb DAC and stuff for my life) Unless one of you guys who can do it perfectly sends me a replay, parts of the vid will be missing. So yeah :p I think replays will be necessary lol.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Are you guys talking about Bomb DAC or DACw/Bomb? @_@ lol

I should try using Dtilt more... seriously, I don't think I've done one on purpose in like, months. lol

Favorite Dtilt use: That ridiculous Jablock setup in Ryuto's vid; Zair 1st hit --> Dtilt spike --> Jablock. xD

sasook

Smash Champion
The bomb DAC.......

I think from now on we should just call it bombsliding to avoid confusion. I know I was already confused before lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
The bomb DAC.......

I think from now on we should just call it bombsliding to avoid confusion. I know I was already confused before lol
yes.

So, I think I'll start testing the Gale Guard and reverse cancelled bomslide during this next week. Hopefully, both can be used in partnership with the reverse spike. If so, Link's Metagame will evolve to a whole new level. :)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yes sounds good. I'll make the vid as promised after school today. Too busy this morning, trying to thaw my hands and fingers out lol. It's so cold in NJ now...

EDIT: GOD ****IT! I WASTED MY 600TH POST! HOLY CRAP! I was gonna use it for something special.... oh well I can use my 601st post for it :D (I don't know what it is. Originally it was how low each of Link's moves kill each character. But that'll take a long time. Maybe I'll still do it.)

sasook

Smash Champion
Okay, lately there have been a lot of topics involving the dtilt spike floating around. So, I'm making this the official dtilt spike topic. Post all you want to know, all you know, and all you would like to know. Just stop making pointless threads, please.

sasook

Smash Champion
I'm guessing you have to hit with the underside of the sword?
That's a better way of what I was trying to say with the head thing, thanks for wording it better.

The head/feet thing is a good way to teach you how to hit them relatively to the spiking hitbox, but that isn't the reason why it spikes. It wouldn't work for every character either, like Kirby.. who's all head and no feet lol
Yeah lol, that's what I meant - in relativity to the hitbox. Again, you made it clearer what I was trying to say.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I think the dtilt may have separate small hitboxes in certain areas of the sword. 2 or 3, around the mid close to the hilt, the tip of the blade and the hilt itself. Thats why the mixed results. If brawl has an AR debug menu we could see the hitboxes...:urg:

sasook

Smash Champion
one thing i noticed about the reverse D tilt spike ... i was just messin around today but yea .. the reverse D tilts spike hitbox is actually a lil above links head. if u look carefully he raises the sword above his head slightly before he swings down. As its above his head u can hit someone with the reverse spike hitbox as long as theyre a lil above u. in the sasook video mario is slightly above link from the ledge hop.. anyways i dont have any recording equipment so u guys can just hit up training mode lol .. also sorry if the hitbox location was already confirmed but.. with this location .. is there anyway to actually combo into it lol.
He never posted it, so I figured I might as well.

dthrow -> turn around dtilt spike -> death

started at 0% close to the edge. facing away from it or not dont matters since we can chaingrab at 0%-15ish%

I did it recently against a CPU lvl 9

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
dthrow -> turn around dtilt spike -> death

started at 0% close to the edge. facing away from it or not dont matters since we can chaingrab at 0%-15ish%

I did it recently against a CPU lvl 9
First thing a human player is going to do if they're off the edge at 0% from a throw is use their double jump to get back. If you do that you'll have to do a Back-Air on a human player as they use their double to put them back off the ledge for any realistic chance of landing it. I kinda wanna try it out myself.

First thing a human player is going to do if they're off the edge at 0% from a throw is use their double jump to get back. If you do that you'll have to do a Back-Air on a human player as they use their double to put them back off the ledge for any realistic chance of landing it. I kinda wanna try it out myself.
actually, this dont work if the opponent dont second jumps into you, that is what the cpu does so read the following really carefully: YOU FAILED

but that is the only possible outcome when trying to find flaws in what I say.
Besides Aurashade is better than you.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
actually, this dont work if the opponent dont second jumps into you, that is what the cpu does so read the following really carefully: YOU FAILED

but that is the only possible outcome when trying to find flaws in what I say.
Besides Aurashade is better than you.
I struck a nerve didn't I? Too bad I'm right.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah lootic, that response was a bit harsh. Besides, no assumptions should be made until this has been tested in matches against humans. And I'm not talking about one match, I mean where this has been tried in several matches. Only then can we get some conclusions.

I think I know the hitbox, it is like everyone says it needs to hit head or feet to work. well actually I just have some evidence that proves what we already has said.

I went to the japanese DOJO went to the part where it tells about links dtilt, I then translated the text

into english with google translate(the swedish translation was even more stupid than this):
Under the strong links to the attacks, the drop in part under attack.

which I further want to translate to this:
Links Strong down attack, makes meteor smashes in the part below the attack

and into smash talk:
Links Dtilt has a spike hitbox underneth the blade.

then if you look at the image you see that the hit animation is underneth the blade(the white shiny-ish star shaped thingy)

conclusion: the spike hitbox is outside the regular one, when both hitboxes hit the regular outpriories the spike hitbox. Go for head and feet. im going to test this at monday.

sasook

Smash Champion
Nice find Lootic, but I believe that the area of the sword matters as well (hilt, tip, etc.), I'm not positive, needs testing.

Also, we need more info on the reverse >.< I've only pulled it off twice, ever.

DoctahLink

Smash Rookie
I, a Link noob have versed blu link's Link a lot with my Link and I got three or something (spikes) on him and I just started maining Link like 2 weeks ago.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Hay guys, did you know Link's Dtilt can spiek?!

Lol.
I was messing around with it today, and I'm getting incredibly confused with the hitboxes. I managed to spike Pit when I Dtilted as his foot came into contact with my head. I'm not sure if this is because the hitbox is inside Link's body or what, but does anyone seem to have an answer for that? I can't seem to replicate it either...

Sakurai: Hey hey hey, stop. Make Link's recovery worse, and take away that stupid hookshot thingy.
Programmer: But sir, I thought you wanted to make Brawl BALANCED?
Sakurai: Here's the thing, we give him a spike! Make it his downwards strong attack.
Programmer: Okay si-
Sakurai: WAIT! It only spikes if incredibly bizarre and difficult conditions are met!
Programmer: Why?
Sakurai: Because I said so, that's why.
Programmer: Sir?
Sakurai: GOD, I'm so high right now!... :D

I think Nintendo made his Dtilt spike so hard to figure out just as a big "screw you" to the Zelda fanbase...

sasook

Smash Champion
Lol, yeah we're not sure what the actual hitbox is, but it seems to spike when the opponent's head or feet are hit with a dtilt. Go figure.

Hay guys, did you know Link's Dtilt can spiek?!

Lol.
I was messing around with it today, and I'm getting incredibly confused with the hitboxes. I managed to spike Pit when I Dtilted as his foot came into contact with my head. I'm not sure if this is because the hitbox is inside Link's body or what, but does anyone seem to have an answer for that? I can't seem to replicate it either...

Sakurai: Hey hey hey, stop. Make Link's recovery worse, and take away that stupid hookshot thingy.
Programmer: But sir, I thought you wanted to make Brawl BALANCED?
Sakurai: Here's the thing, we give him a spike! Make it his downwards strong attack.
Programmer: Okay si-
Sakurai: WAIT! It only spikes if incredibly bizarre and difficult conditions are met!
Programmer: Why?
Sakurai: Because I said so, that's why.
Programmer: Sir?
Sakurai: GOD, I'm so high right now!... :D

I think Nintendo made his Dtilt spike so hard to figure out just as a big "screw you" to the Zelda fanbase...
the actual thing is that they did not give link anything, he had a dtilt spike in melee too. I know this since PAL version of melee didnt have spin spike. link could do almost all things he can now in melee too and some things more. I want melee link with brawl links zair and rang.
and kill me Im whining like some zelda fanboy.

oh btw I have found a new way to hit with dtilt spike: bair(first it only) > DI against opponent much without turning around > dtilt
works against luigi,yoshi, charizard, bowser and sandbag

btw first jab kind of spikes spacies,(it hits em so they just drop down long enough for you to hug the ledge).

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I, a Link noob have versed blu link's Link a lot with my Link and I got three or something (spikes) on him and I just started maining Link like 2 weeks ago.
Care to contribute, or just continue to brag? I can't figure out this fricken hit box. We need some hacked data. It's a boring hack but it could be useful to figure out when and where the spike is on Link. It's rather frustrating trying to figure this out.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Ike's d-tilt spike is better. It's stronger, and easier to land. But link's is quicker by a few frames.

Link is better than Toon Link because Link is the weilder of the bane!

Top Bottom