• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
That literally does not make any sense...
r u joking only tru brawlrs can win w/o banana peels because they r cheep to use and throw and it doesnt' make for a good player if you want to MLG. I got 17th art mlg and didn't use bananas it wast temting but I made it and I think i placed reely well. i could do bettr so yeah i just need to nair more it's REALLY good move.

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
I grouped them for convenience.

I'd really like critique on my Diddy Kong. Anything to help me get better. And if you can't stomach the recorder... sorry, Final Destination is freaking annoying. I need a light blue texture hack for it sometime. :urg:
Do I have to pm someone specifically in order to get critique? Granted that by now these are kinda old matches and I play very slightly differently... it's probably not by much to matter and advice is still helpful...

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
uhh, i guess ill critique

ok, first, you should check out http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236290 (the kongpendium)
its really helpful if you're new

you should cut down on the rolling, it gets predictable

i noticed that you like to mfk so you should learn mfkc so you dont get punished when you land or you can jump out of it
also, dont fair so close to the ground, theres a ton of landing lag, you got punished a lot for it too

you seem kinda hesitant with your naners like during the mk match you could've double naner locked mk but you didn't throw the naner soon enough, idk, work on playin faster

conserve your smashes, you need them to kill
naner -> dash attack/grab at low percents
naner -> smash attack at high percents

DK SPEED DK

Smash Apprentice
@xSWRD-Ruben: Use more than 1 banana at a time. In your first vid I saw some good use of dair but i also saw to much use of dair. Don't use it when it causes you to have landing lag and thats for all of diddy's aerials.

I hope I was able to help you.

-Googs

Smash Lord
DFEAR,
At 1:12 you can DI falco's upthrow lasers if I'm not mistaken.
at 0:56 that was a cool read with the banana to stop his upB
1:50 you kinda screwed yourself over i suppose lol. but I like the dash attack pivot grab, gotta try that out.
I'd critique more but I have an exam tommorw aha

tibs7

Smash Champion
against chaz....was disappointing, you did alot of just running in and shield :S. against marf stay back and shoot moar peanuts, and your fair>his fair so dont be afraid to chuck more of them out.

marths a gay char to verse. why did you play on siege? i think its better for marth :(
otherwise your doing fine.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
against chaz....was disappointing, you did alot of just running in and shield :S. against marf stay back and shoot moar peanuts, and your fair>his fair so dont be afraid to chuck more of them out.

marths a gay char to verse. why did you play on siege? i think its better for marth :(
otherwise your doing fine.
i completely agree with everything u said. it was sorta an off game for me bro

tibs7

Smash Champion
Yeah I've seen you play alot better than that. I'll show you how I play marth at the mlg in November, Dallas.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Haha oh you better bring dat A game, but nah flights to the US are crazy expensive soooo I have to wait longer to get it cheaper :(.

I've never even heard of raliegh before lol.

Player-3

Smash Hero
wtf diddys fair doesn't beat marths fair

maybe in range

not disjoint

marth just has to swat at your feet so don't just be like "lolfair is good"

cuz he'll cut your toes off

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
wtf diddys fair doesn't beat marths fair

maybe in range

not disjoint

marth just has to swat at your feet so don't just be like "lolfair is good"

cuz he'll cut your toes off
if he wants to hit your toes, it means you faired too early and missed, if you dont miss, he needs to guess when you'll throw your fair out, otherwise he will miss and you are guaranteed a hit :)

tibs7

Smash Champion
P3 our fair is amazing. I know it doesn't beat it in disjoint lol, you ***s have a sword :(.
But it is really good against marf. No lie.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
wowwwwwwwwwwww ADHD

@Xiao-Xiao: try not to go auto pilot, you often just threw a naner while peach was floating and got punished for it
also, don't always go for your naners! praxis baited you every single time you tried to dash attack to pick up a naner
lastly, play patiently. you don't always have to approach, especially against peach. retreat, shoot more peanuts, and maybe pluck a naner

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Admittedly, I was a bit rusty at the time of this video; TP5's the only big tournament I've been to since February this year due to IRL stuff; but I want to point out something for you.

Look at the other Peaches you beat. For example, the match vs jmo. Now you can probably attribute it to my rustyness, but jmo played a lot fancier than me. He did a lot of fancy tricks, better combos, smoother spacing. Looking at the video, my motion was a bit erratic, I wasted my float accidentally a few times, fastfell an airdodge offstage which almost cost me, etc. I was sloppy.

Despite that, I won pretty handily, while you consistently beat every other Peach at that table.

Why's that?

I watched and waited. I didn't try to force openings like jmo was doing, but watched your bananas and reacted to how you were trying to get them, and reacted to you instead of forcing you to react to me like the other Peaches were doing. When I got to kill percents, in every situation, I simply thought: "which guessing game could potentially result in a kill move being delivered on his part?" and made decisions that avoided it. I took a lot of extra hits and grabs as a result, but lived to close to 200%, because I avoided those situations instead of going for good hits.

There's your lesson for the day :) Don't play for speed, watch your opponent, think your situations through, and be patient. Thoughtfulness trumps tech.

As David Sirlin said in his book; the most important trait a player requires is appraisal (knowing the most effective decision to make in a complex situation; this is how I lived to high percentages), and the second is Yomi (the ability to read an opponent, which is how I landed my hits on you). Technical skill is further down the list, though still an important attribute. Focus on building those skills.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dunno player-1 shoots 100+ PPM :\...
im just tryin to learn what d3 can do against diddy's walls apparently he cant do much :3 which is good to know

AdmiralStarshade

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm posting a video of my brother's diddy kong. He doesnt have an account, but he wanted criticism from you guys here. The following video is me and him playing (I'm the snake xD) So criticism for his general Diddy Kong play, AND his matchup play against snake. Thanks for all your support!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfBcwxWP5w

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
okay, first show him this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236290
especially if he just picked up diddy

definitely start to dribble, it helps your spacing greatly
use the cstick to throw a naner any direction during a glide toss

work on approaches, you often rolled towards snake instead of gt'ing a naner or side b (you also shouldn't approach snake much lol) but a gt back helps you get out of his range while also pressuring him

work on your combos!! go into training mode and practice locking cpus and get comfortable using both your naners at the same time to combo, wall, and retreat

some minor things: momentum cancel with bair when you're hit horizontally and dair when you're hit vertically
you like to side b a lot, so you should consider mfc or mfkc to either cancel the lag or jump out of side b

TeeVee

Smash Lord

Orion*

Smash Researcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F_BSlNrsPE&playnext_from=TL&videos=mrGUgaMB2Ns&feature=sub

me vs vinnie in losers quarters i think , game 3

info on vinnie - hes pr'd in NY and is a top gaw. he took adhd to game 3 last hit (as heard in the commentary) a few weeks before.

i don't really do anything super innovative but any suggestions would be appreciated, also that match was my first and only match using diddy that whole tourney lol
~ADHD

Teevee, go **** yourself LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom