• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tocador

Smash Lord
Hey guys, something gay I wanted to point out for Wario:

He can Nair you out of Dash Attack with good SDI. If you see Bwett's second video on PS1 against me, I do it near the beginning of the match. I haven't looked into it that extensively, but I think Wario can also fart you out of it, and potentially hit you with slower moves like Uair. I believe at least stuff like Waft to be guaranteed, not sure if I have that much of a frame advantage or not.

Which means don't use Dash Attack too much against him.
Not like many of us still uses DA xP!!!! But thanks for the heads up :D!

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
or wario can just shieldgrab you dash attack, works everytime (my friend is the best wario in holland and he does it all the time XD)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's not always possible, depending on where Wario is located, and depending on when during dash attack he is hit/other factors, shield grab is not always guaranteed.

Having the option of SDI into free attack is almost always there though. Wario fortunately has moves that are quick enough/just the right range to punish it.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
New diddy-er here :o dont mind the messed up brstm

Won and lost (tried to di as hard as i can)

Burn VS Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28yquy1O22A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtmEqjDw-Y
Huge overuse of rolls and a huge underuse of bananas. They actually go hand in hand because the more you roll, the more you aren't controlling the naners. You still need to work your way up to the second banana which is fine but there was also a lot of Diddy things you could inprove on. First of all, Surprising lack of glide tossing and bad use of smashes. This also goes hand in hand because in order to get close enough for a well timed (and guaranteed if you combo from a naner) smash, you need the small boost that a GT produces. Check Ingulit's Kongpendium for any tech help. Please ask questions!

EDIT: Just saw the second video again and noticed a better usage of bananas. The main problem I saw was that you were REALLY predictable and that Snake shouldn't have fallen for a lot of the tricks you pulled more than once. Not trying to trash talk the Snake or anything but it is apparent that he got really annoyed by the bananas and made a lot of mistakes. Another player may not be so gullible.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
ok quick thing about rolling...IT....IS....BAAAAAAAAAAAAD. if there is a time when you CAN roll somewhere then that is a time you could walk or run somewhere as well. im hoping that the rolling was due to whiffed glide tossing? any how aside from that you should definitely take some time to sit down in training mode and practice naner locking and glide tosses.

also i think you should look into z-catching bananas more cause there was a moment where you caught a banana with dair and it caused you to fast fall off the side. that puts diddy in a REALLY bad spot. an experienced snake most likely would have ran over and tried to edgehog or bair your recovery, so watch out for that. im going to assume you tried to onstage dair the snake after he dash attacked you. which is ALSO dangerous because of snakes RIDICULOUUUUUUUUUUUS u-tilt.

Next be sure to examine how long your opponent trips after they are hit with a banana. there were quite a few times when you could have killed snake on his first stock after yo landed your banana but you would run up and grab him, or whiff an attack. so look into that as well.

all in all even though im sure i sound like a jerk right now but you have a loooooooot of stuff to look into for your diddy. do some research, practice what you learn, ask some questions around here and im sure you will improve.

good luck :)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
thanks sai. liljp, ill help you tomorrow. I really don't feel like doing much but lurk and i know for a fact that ill be home tomorrow.

Smash Ace
d@mn i really need to get a set of myself on here for critiques...meh oh well ill do it next tourney.

Smash Ace
well if its a snake specific issue i think i can give some advice on that. you have a great diddy btw it shows that youve researched your character ^_^.

Im fortunate enough to get to play with/ get my butt kicked by quite a few good snakes in my area.(Infern, Smash64, Nope) and i feel like i know the match up fairly well. one of the things i like to do is hang out just outside of f-tilt range.
If im camping all the way at the other side of the stage snake will set traps and spam grenades and generally out camp me (imo). if i say too close i get grabbed, tilted or generally effed up.
But if I'm right outside of his f-tilt range and holding a banana it sorta ****s with him. if he goes in for the tilt, dash grabs or tries to use any b-move you should be able to punish it with a banana.

generally I would say play a little more patiently and less aggressively atleast dealing with snake. running twoards him (even with banana in hand) is generally pretty unsafe. space yourself carefully, wait for him to make the first move and punish it with a banana. when he moves away try to follow him and when he comes in move away. but stay a little outside of his f-tilt range. pretty much just try to midrange zone him.

Overall you have a fantastic Diddy kong but just try to play a tad more patiently.

good luck beating this guy i know snake is kinda touch to deal with since he's so ****ing strong and sooooooo ****ing heavy. but im sure you can do it :)

cong

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply man, ill try stay midrange him when we play next, should be like next week. ill see if i do any better ^^;

but yeh snake... his so dam fat...

but its this particular snake(calzorz) thats giving me the real problems, most other snakes i would generally beat or go stock for stock at the least. but this guy... lol... <--- a lol of :(

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Meh, wasn't gonna post these but since other people seem to actually be getting critiqued I figured why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szlt-JbLs6o - Game 1 Set 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIUDPbGGHE - Game 3 Set 1 (Game 2 I was Ice Climbers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1aMTRLk8bs - Game 2 Set 2 (Trust me, game 1 wasn't worth seeing, it was a rage quit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6WW1uiiaQ - Game 3 set 2

Overall I think I didn't really play my best this set, missed alot of stuff I shouldn't have but whatever.

Oh, and please don't say generic stuff such as "DI Better." or "Practice Tech skill." Yeah, im not perfect at that stuff, I know, you don't need to tell me lol. Instead try to give more constructive stuff. Thanks.

pulse131

Smash Ace
ill have a diddy vid or two soon. figured since im trying to find a new high tier main i'd try em out and let the pros let me know if i should bother or not. i gotta lot of stuff over time that i wished i saved but oh well.

Smash Ace
Ok JJ your diddy is fantastic. There are only one or two things I have to comment on honestly lol. There were a few rolls that may have just been whiffed glide tosses but really that's not a big deal at all but even still roll less( but I'm sure you know that cause you didnt do it very much).Honestly there was only one big thing I noticed you doing

There were a few times where you would glide toss the banana into the shield and continue to go for the follow up that WOULD have worked HAD the banana landed. I kinda have this same habit, maybe its auto pilot or something i dunno. You have a lot of good habits but the one habit that im noticing is that you will sometimes ( or atleast in the last match) perform your glide toss and then do whatever move that works afterwards (d-smash f-smash whatever) but the banana ends up being shielded and you still follow up with the attack. so just be wary not to go for the wrong follow up on a shielded banana. maybe catch the banana off shield or go for a face **** grab or maybe d-tilt the shield for added pressure. and obviously mix up what ever it is you choose to do.

So just be careful with your reaction to the banana hitting the shield. Other than that I don't have much to say. you play very smart and you did a great job making the meta knight approach ( or trying to make him...campy lil *******) just be a little more care full on your followups after a glide toss. in fact try to glide toss in to the opponents shield a little less.

Your diddy is really cool to watch and i wish you good luck.

Edit: ...also im not the only diddy player on this board...other people can critique these...this is all just my opinion hell i could be wrong lol. other diddy's should be helping...just saying

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Sai basically covered a lot of the habits but I also want to add that you really need to speed up your game. Just watching it I could judge exactly what you were going to do next which means you were really predictable. It may have been different in I were that MK but whatever. I knew exactly when you were going to throw a banana, smash, DA, ect. If you watch Cong's video you will see that he plays very crazy and unpredictable. Though he did need to be a lot more patient and think a bit more, he shows how a random Diddy is a good Diddy. Also Instant Throwing is beast.

Also there was a huge lack of a grab game, it's free damage and Diddy is really good at it.

I sent Cong a critique in a PM but I will post it here for other people:

The main thing I noticed was you took a lot of risks which got you into some trouble. You actually played a lot like I used to, throw bananas and ask questions later but now I have taken a lot more mellow playstyle. The problem is,the majority of the time you will be blindly throwing and trying to overwhelm the other guy when in actuality, the other guy has the advantage. You obviously have the tech skill to do some major damage but you don't have the patience to wait for a good oppurtunity to kill. Slow down, bait him out and, wait for the oppurtunities. Not saying that you should play a campy playstyle exactly but you need to understand that when you rush like that, you will get beat out by a strong character like Snake. You can easily keep the aggressive playstyle that I love about your video but just keep it safe, aggressive does not mean unsafe.

If you look at Snakes, their bread and butter is bait and punish tactics. you need to beat them at their own game.

Smash Ace
After tomorrows smashfest I should have a match or two on youtube so i hope you can critique me goose. thanks in advance

Conti

Smash Ace
I FINALLY RECORDED SOME MATCHES! YESZZ!
lol no but seriously i really really need to be critiqued... ive been playn diddy roughlyforlike 8months, playn like once or twice a week at my friends... onlybeen to one tourny as him... but i still hace alot to work on... im the master of ********-*** mistakes, auto pilot... and like not knowing stuff... especially DI and teching n stuff... so please... Critique me hard... i wont take offense cuz in my opinion i suck.... and have alot to work on... also myfriends wanna be critiqued too [new to their mains..]... if u maybe wanna add some side notes for them... it would be appreciated... thankss :)
I know i got potential... i just need help gettn there...

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) 2/25/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-HL_Ntk3A

Conti (Diddy) Vs Dr Pepper (MK) Friendly 2/25/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgZfrBo4zM

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) Friendly 2/26/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgGnl5Vkfsk

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Really sorry guys but I won't be doing any critiquing any time soon. I havn't played brawl in over 5 months so I don't think I'm in any position to be critiquing. Lately I have been hard pressed to find anything wrong with your videos and I find myself watching them 5-6 times. When I make Brawl a higher priority I will help again. again really sorryguys.

Count

Smash Champion
Hey conti! You're in luck-I'm taking a break from a paper here at 3:15 in the morning and I'm in the mood to critique! I only watched the first video.

Here's what I got:

-You roll a lot-it isn't all bad, but I do think it is particularly bad against marth. While this marth wasn't doing it a lot, marth is particularly good at punishing rolls. When playing experienced marths I've found that marth doesn't even really have to predict the roll-he can simply react with dancing blade :O. Also, be careful about always rolling after being tripped. Remember you have four options when tripped, not merely two.

-After a grab, pummel. Refreshes your moves, etc. It's tough to get into the habit of, I know.

-We all have our own styles, and your seems particularly aggressive. I am naturally the other way, so maybe its just me saying this but I think you need to camp a bit more vs marth. If we play offensive vs marth, we make his life much easier. I saw next to no peanuts shot by you all game, and I do believe that the peanut popgun may be our greatest weapon against marth. My strategy against marth is to set up ADHD's 'wall' as much as possible. So what I'm saying is that I recognize you're a naturally aggressive player, I do believe it necessary to camp against marth from time to time.

-I've noticed you've picked up ADHD's fairly recent method of pulling banana's-and who hasn't! His run offstage, full hop, pluck pluck, jump, instant throw is a great way to set up combos and even banana locks. However, I've found this to be generally unsafe if done too much, and in the video I watched you seemed to be going out of your way to do this. Doing this too much, particularly against characters like marth and meta knight will get you gimped, so I'd try to limit doing that to once or twice a match rather than the 6 or 7 times you attempted it.

-Grab nanas off platforms with aerials if you're going to go for them and marth is right there. A few times I thought you could've done that instead of z grab.

Great use of uthrow. I love that throw in this matchup. Marth is seemingly helpless when above us, and uthrow is an amazing tool in this matchup.

Neat mixups with your recovery! you did a great job of not only recovering from a far with peanuts etc, but gettting off ledge against marth, who is probably the toughest character for diddy to get off the ledge against! Great job!

Sorry for this long winded critique. You should give yourself more credit! You have a good diddy. You use safe, smart options in almost every situation and you tend to read your opponent fairly well. I hope this critique can be of help. I hope it didn't seem harsh either, I do think you're very good. Everybody has lots to work on, even my good friend Wyatt would admit this I believe.

Conti

Smash Ace
Hey conti! You're in luck-I'm taking a break from a paper here at 3:15 in the morning and I'm in the mood to critique! I only watched the first video.

Here's what I got:

-You roll a lot-it isn't all bad, but I do think it is particularly bad against marth. While this marth wasn't doing it a lot, marth is particularly good at punishing rolls. When playing experienced marths I've found that marth doesn't even really have to predict the roll-he can simply react with dancing blade :O. Also, be careful about always rolling after being tripped. Remember you have four options when tripped, not merely two.

-After a grab, pummel. Refreshes your moves, etc. It's tough to get into the habit of, I know.

-We all have our own styles, and your seems particularly aggressive. I am naturally the other way, so maybe its just me saying this but I think you need to camp a bit more vs marth. If we play offensive vs marth, we make his life much easier. I saw next to no peanuts shot by you all game, and I do believe that the peanut popgun may be our greatest weapon against marth. My strategy against marth is to set up ADHD's 'wall' as much as possible. So what I'm saying is that I recognize you're a naturally aggressive player, I do believe it necessary to camp against marth from time to time.

-I've noticed you've picked up ADHD's fairly recent method of pulling banana's-and who hasn't! His run offstage, full hop, pluck pluck, jump, instant throw is a great way to set up combos and even banana locks. However, I've found this to be generally unsafe if done too much, and in the video I watched you seemed to be going out of your way to do this. Doing this too much, particularly against characters like marth and meta knight will get you gimped, so I'd try to limit doing that to once or twice a match rather than the 6 or 7 times you attempted it.

-Grab nanas off platforms with aerials if you're going to go for them and marth is right there. A few times I thought you could've done that instead of z grab.

Great use of uthrow. I love that throw in this matchup. Marth is seemingly helpless when above us, and uthrow is an amazing tool in this matchup.

Neat mixups with your recovery! you did a great job of not only recovering from a far with peanuts etc, but gettting off ledge against marth, who is probably the toughest character for diddy to get off the ledge against! Great job!

Sorry for this long winded critique. You should give yourself more credit! You have a good diddy. You use safe, smart options in almost every situation and you tend to read your opponent fairly well. I hope this critique can be of help. I hope it didn't seem harsh either, I do think you're very good. Everybody has lots to work on, even my good friend Wyatt would admit this I believe.
Wow super thanks... yea I've been really working on not rolling... ill continue to work on it [I used to be 4x worse].
Ill try to play passive agressive... ur right [I played like that in fps's n it worked nice... be agressive then sit for a bit defnsive] ill apply it to brawl...
Pummel... gotcha [used to have good habbit with this but idk I lost it]
Set up adhd's wall.. peanuts... I know exactly what ur talkn bout I gotta work on it...
Don't z catch if marth is right there....
Learn to not tech like an idiot and use all 4 options...
How else shud I safely pull of nanars... can u give me tips cuz I've tryd experimenting but that was the only method that semi workd for me...
And I have a decent diddy? Thanks its nice to hear that from a better diddy :D

Smash Ace
Ok Majik sorry nobody got to you on this but im going to do my best to help out.

I saw some nice uses of Diddy's b-reversal game so i complement you on that.

When your fighting marth you don't preferably want to keep the battle up close like that. Your best bet is to stay at the minimum mid range away. Stay about a few more feet out of his attack range and punish his approaches with bananas.

Also for marth u-throw throws off his game something serious so if you end up sheild grabbing him out of something U-throw is the bestest throw evar for you.

Also while i did see you using the b-reversals off stage be careful not to put your self in a worse situation than you would have had to deal with. ( but that's just generic advice)

Now something else i saw you doing was GT Banana to d-smash but at earlier percentages. Diddy's pretty **** weak so if you end up stale-ing downsmash it puts you in a bad spot for later. Try using more tilts and aerials for a better mixup game that both racks up damage and keeps your kill moves fresh. If you end up with stale kill moves late game it just leaves you predictable and forced to keep kill fishing so just keep that in mind.

I noticed you have a good amount of tricks and thats always nice to see and it shows that your up to date on your diddy techniques.

Also heres some advice I give to a lot of diddy players (Im guilty of the following habit as well btw)

There were times where you would glide toss your banana and it wouldn't work out, like they would avoid( not spot dodge) or shield it and you would still follow up with the attack you WOULD have landed had the banana hit. Try not to do that too often. If the banana toss doesnt lead into a trip, act accordingly with a different follow up. maybe a d-tilt or a face hump or just get the hell out of there by running back.

I only saw one match and im kinda low on time but i hope this advice helped out, your diddy is already going in a great direction and can be even better with just a few minor tweaks. so good luck in the future :)

Conti

Smash Ace
So I went up to nyc and fought allied's snake and it was my 1st time really learning the matchup... I've seen alota snake vs diddy matches but idk. When I get the videos up I def need some advice... along with mk

Smash Ace
Xionix ill give u a critique pretty soon.

Edit: Critique time

First off i would like to say be more careful with how your throwing your bananas. You dont wanna get into that auto pilot mode where you just glide toss em constantly and it gets red. Don't throw a banana just because you have it, Throw it at the times when it would be most effective. if your opponent is just standing still and waiting on the banana, just hold out until you see them doing something you can punish with the banana ( and by something i mean pretty much anything)

Another thing I saw is that you need to mix up your ledge options. He started reading them really bad in game two. I know diddy is pretty lacking in that department but try not to do the same thing repeatedly i suppose >.>

Also remember to not abuse your smashes so early. You wanna wait a pretty long while before u start using them, side smash maybe since it racks damage pretty well but definitely not down smash. Using your kill move(s) too early leads you into kill fishing at higher percents, something you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to happen against Lucario.

I happen to be horrible with the lucario matchup but I think you should definitely camp more.

Also a random tip for killing him is u-tilt. lucario lives forever when u try to kill him off the side but he dies at reasonable percents off the top. U-tilt should kill around 140 or 150 and u-air is kinda weird but prolly wont kill till 160 ish.

So just try to be a little more patient and careful and I'm sure you'll improve ^__^

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
lucario is horrible to play against, you got lucky that your opponent didnt spam rolls that much, but my brother does, you have like 6 frames to punish a roll, which means he can safely roll behind you and grab if you do pretty much ANYTHING

just be more patient, and DO NOT shoot peanuts in this matchup, if the lucario has any sense, he knows that a fully charged aura sphere WILL hit you if he fires it on reaction if you shoot a peanut (given you arent more than 3/4 of FD away from him)

fun fact, lucario can negate your camping by looking away and charging an AS XD

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
ahhh after these next 2 tournies, ill show you how much i improved/not rusty anymore. thanks for the critiques. i guess i was also nervous i was just playing zuc co

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Hey Praxis!

I'll see what I can do, but I did notice your camping got sloppy, and you tried to force the kill a little too much first stock imo. You were getting near that window where your kill options get wider (like you could possibly try for DA -> utilt after peppering him with a banana, since that's a little safer on MK shield, then again you would still risk that SL oos).

More critique later probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom