• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I am just looking for an overall critique of my diddy. I am not sure what else i can do to improve my game.

Kira (me) vs X

I'll post more videos when I get some more... This is the only one i have currently.

Thanks guys.
Pretty much the rolling.

The problem is just that you're in lag frames a lot. The beginning/end frames of roll don't give you invincibility and you can't do anything but sit there. The entire rolling animation is long and predictable since you can't move out of it, so your opponent knows where you're going and can punish. Especially Marth, who can F-smash/D-tilt/Dancing Blade/F-air/etc to punish you on reaction.

It's not like rolling is horrible; in some cases, rolling is a good option. But you want to use it sparingly, and you almost NEVER want to roll across your opponent, because that'll get you killed.

Also, you should choose more movement options past rolling. Things like dashing shields, glide-tossing, straight up walking, dashing or fox-trotting, short hops, monkey flips, etc, can all be used for movement. Granted, you want to mix these up and not use one often (some, like monkey flips, can be easily punishable and you should only use them in certain situations).

Overall, you seem to be good, but the rolling is hindering your gameplay. Getting more comfortable with moving with your bananas will help you cut some of the rolling.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Oh nice you put up the vids. Xionix is pretty amazing. I always love when someone I haven't heard of is such a challenge :)

Also, why are we wearing these funny outfits? I don't think we were when we played. Is it because you had textures on when you uploaded, but not when we played?

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
Oh nice you put up the vids. Xionix is pretty amazing. I always love when someone I haven't heard of is such a challenge :)

Also, why are we wearing these funny outfits? I don't think we were when we played. Is it because you had textures on when you uploaded, but not when we played?
yeah, the homebrew on my wii is broken so i used my friend's wii. it had textures on it, but i had to use it because he had the unlimited replay on his wii.

ps. what a name searcher. lol

Player-1

Smash Legend
I watched your match vs snakeee.

You're playing really slow. Adding more bairs and side-b to your game will help. I didn't really see any bairs in the game, which is Diddy's overall fastest aerial. I think your lack of bairs was your biggest problems. Also, you roll a lot in unnecessary situations. You didn't really use them in times where you could be punished for them which is good, but some times you used them just to move around which also slowed down your game play. There were times where the banana was on the ground in Snakeee's possession, and you just rolled away from it when you could have done a rising bair to get it. More Dtilting and less Ftilting, you used Ftilt a bit much and it's a pretty slow tilt, Dtilt gets almost the same range and is much quicker. You also need to spend less time so high up in the air, whether it be him hitting you in the air or you putting yourself in that position with double jumps or full hops, especially against Zamus who is a pretty good juggler.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Name searching is about all I do on smashboards nowadays lmao. Nothing wrong with it :p

P-1 that's some constructive criticism o.o . I know that's why he posted these, and it's definitely some good advice. However, just a bit harsh imo. I don't see how you can say he was playing slow because it was very fast to me. He almost won both of those games, which is a shocker to me especially given my experience in that match up. He does need to stay out of the air more like you said though that's a given.

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
well watching those replays i do feel like i was slow. and i was kinda intimidated because im facing a well known player and i dont know the match up. but thanks p1

Player-1

Smash Legend
Name searching is about all I do on smashboards nowadays lmao. Nothing wrong with it :p

P-1 that's some constructive criticism o.o . I know that's why he posted these, and it's definitely some good advice. However, just a bit harsh imo. I don't see how you can say he was playing slow because it was very fast to me. He almost won both of those games, which is a shocker to me especially given my experience in that match up. He does need to stay out of the air more like you said though that's a given.
I felt that you were playing the matches fast and him a bit slow, which just made the match look fast. Adding bairs and dtilts and the other stuff in the criticism will make your overall game play much faster.

Dalub

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYI2fTyKpg

Hey let me introduce, my name is Dalub, i'm pretty much new to Diddy so, i would enjoy to recieve some advice to get my Diddy better if you guys don't mind it would be greatly appreciated :p i needed a Counter, TL is so... mid tier, lol.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Paladin: It is NEVER good to stale a kill move.

Dalub:

Wow it's surprising to see a new Diddy that doesn't rely on auto-pilot. You definately need to make more use of banana slips and get some serious damage on your opponent. the main followups for a Glide Tossed banana is Banana>Grab (for %), Banana>Smash (Side/Down for kill), Banana>Leave (this is usually to get ahold of the other banana for better use).

You need to work your way up to the second banana but that takes time and it can mess some new players up because they try too hard and don't let it happen naturally. In other words, they go auto-pilot a lot and in return they don't learn how use the second banana properly. Mess around with the second banana for a while until you get the hang of it but don't rely on it just yet.

Watch the other major Diddys to see how they do things and you will learn a lot quicker.

Dalub

Smash Apprentice
Dalub:

Wow it's surprising to see a new Diddy that doesn't rely on auto-pilot. You definately need to make more use of banana slips and get some serious damage on your opponent. the main followups for a Glide Tossed banana is Banana>Grab (for %), Banana>Smash (Side/Down for kill), Banana>Leave (this is usually to get ahold of the other banana for better use).

You need to work your way up to the second banana but that takes time and it can mess some new players up because they try too hard and don't let it happen naturally. In other words, they go auto-pilot a lot and in return they don't learn how use the second banana properly. Mess around with the second banana for a while until you get the hang of it but don't rely on it just yet.

Watch the other major Diddys to see how they do things and you will learn a lot quicker.

Ok, i will try to use more Nana slips then. About the second Banana, i'm already working on it ;-).
Thanks For Advise.
BTW, is Dash Attack to Nair/Fair/Bair a good follow up of Nanas slip? Or it is better to grab instead?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It depends on how your opponent will DI. You usually won't be able to get an aerial (maybe nair) in there. They will have quite a bit of time to air dodge. It just depends how the DA will turn out, then you just make your own judgement. Grabs are mainly for getting people offstage.

RiVer

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm pretty much new to SWF and Diddy kong, and I hope i can get some critique on my diddy.
Here's a set vs a friend of mine who plays jiggs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6Df4CM9EY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1toJlW7lA0s&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmX7YKPtFxc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQsnoa22kU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvsN7UXtNPU&feature=channel

I know i'm nothing close to pro, so any critique is welcome, thanks

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
RiVer, I doubt you will get much help with the Jiggs matchup because most people don't know it very well but I will try to convince people to try. Also, Bwett, I didn't even notice your vids and will get to them soon.

Dekar173

Justice Man
You obviously instant threw ;P

Also, if you've got a banana in hand, you can instant throw it instead of just regular throwing it in order to momentum cancel 12 frames faster. =O

Just don't go telling Zac cause then you won't be able to kill him with a naner in hand ahaha

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It would, the main problem is that your playstyle will vary from character to character. Jiggz is one of those weird characters so you have to adjust to play.

Bwett:

I noticed that you still have a lot of bad habits and some issues regarding your naners. One thing I noticed is that you don't yet have that fluid movement that most Diddy mains have developed. There were a lot of times in the Falco matchup where being a little faster (picking up, GTing, instant throwing) would have made the match more in your favor. A lot of people crack under pressure when you are bombarding them with naners and they react badly. You should learn to capitalize on that more, watch how they react and mix yourself up so they can't adapt. I saw that you were a bit faster in the G&W match and that helped a lot to over pressure your opponent.

What I meant when I said fluid is that your playstyle is still quite clunky. There is a lot of start and stop which made you easier to predict and more punishable.

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
i honestly dont know what to do against dmg,
he just runs away,
i couldnt beat him at the last fs,
he just ran out the timer,

best thing to do is grab release to spike, and throw banannas up,

@ p-1 i wuz being sarcastic, i meant throwing nanas at ppl in real life duh,

Toneh

Smash Lord
You obviously instant threw ;P

Also, if you've got a banana in hand, you can instant throw it instead of just regular throwing it in order to momentum cancel 12 frames faster. =O

Just don't go telling Zac cause then you won't be able to kill him with a naner in hand ahaha
how do you insta-throw when you have a banana in hand already? Thought you could only do it when the item is in the air

DFEAR

Smash Hero
how do you insta-throw when you have a banana in hand already? Thought you could only do it when the item is in the air
exactly. meaning u have to Z drop and INSTANTLY (like couple frames after really) airdodge+ direction throw (use c stick)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
doin that is faster then just pressing left on the c stick to throw it? weird
well throwing it normally is cool and all but lets cancel the lag all together in the air is much better :3

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey guys, something gay I wanted to point out for Wario:

He can Nair you out of Dash Attack with good SDI. If you see Bwett's second video on PS1 against me, I do it near the beginning of the match. I haven't looked into it that extensively, but I think Wario can also fart you out of it, and potentially hit you with slower moves like Uair. I believe at least stuff like Waft to be guaranteed, not sure if I have that much of a frame advantage or not.

Which means don't use Dash Attack too much against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom