• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

C 3

Smash Ace
The b air would be the obvious choice if they're far enough away. I was talking about when they're right on top of you, like touching you. If they're that close, then no, i wouldn't reccomend the b air.

As for my 0-death version, its still impossible to escape if you do it right. If they're jumping out of it when you're doing it, then you're not doing it right. Like i said, its all about your taste, but i'd rather rack up the damage more quickly

As for what M2K says, i think that I know DK a thousand times better than he does, and DK does not counter fox at all. Its about even on final d, and fox has the advantage everywhere else. My good friend KFC would **** his DK on final d, i'd put my $50 on it. And 1 grab does NOT always equal death. It doesn't everytime for bum, doesn't for pkmvodka, and doesn't for me. It does a good amount of the time, but in all of the DK matches you see on final d, how many of them are actually 0-deaths when they get a grab? If you really pay attention, its a pretty small percent
Considering how there's basically no stun after the Uair, how is it still inescapable? I'd like to say that I completely respect/trust you, but I also like to know things with 100% certainty. If the way you do it is inescapable, then I will use it, I agree that the less cg's the better, and the more direct/quick root is definitely the better route.

I agree with DK/fox being close on FD and one sided everywhere else. A grab does not always equal death, but it should (and that's coming from pkm himself). I know that DI plays a big part in it and there may be some tech chasing involved, but that ff should be on the verge of death after a grab.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Considering how there's basically no stun after the Uair,

Wait, what? This about DK vs. Fox, not DK vs. Luigi. If you have the punch fully charged when you grab them at 0 you can pull of a 0-death regardless of DI. While technically you can 0-death without the punch, but the opoonents DI, is influencial.

C 3

Smash Ace
Wait, what? This about DK vs. Fox, not DK vs. Luigi. If you have the punch fully charged when you grab them at 0 you can pull of a 0-death regardless of DI. While technically you can 0-death without the punch, but the opoonents DI, is influencial.

I am aware of what match up we're talking about. Try it yourself: Cargo Uthrow a lv1 fox, then Uair. You can see the fox barely has the stun animation as appose to when you would do it at 40% or more.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I am aware of what match up we're talking about. Try it yourself: Cargo Uthrow a lv1 fox, then Uair. You can see the fox barely has the stun animation as appose to when you would do it at 40% or more.
Have you played actual oppenents though? At 0 you can cargo up-throw up-air, and re-grab. Theres not enough time to pull off a 2nd up-air at that percent because of fox's fall speed.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
fox completely ***** dk on every single stage... learn how to play noobs.

oh nd u other dk players out there, ill money match all of u lol name ur price. come get owned if u dare.

this does not apply to mexican lol

phish-it

Smash Champion
fox completely ***** dk on every single stage... learn how to play noobs.

oh nd u other dk players out there, ill money match all of u lol name ur price. come get owned if u dare.

this does not apply to mexican lol
haha theres no point in attempting to money match people your never going to even meet!

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I find that interesting also........... I dont understand how MMing him would help that though, he's much better than pretty much everybody else.......... and what is he basing that on? yes, DK has the death combos, but to grab fox is a ***** in itself, not to mention having to b 100% efficient with death combos.
well, the fox has to be 100% with his tech skill aswell, so thats not really a valid argument
(not saying i disagree w/ you or the point of your post btw)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
What are the best counter pick stages for DK?
Never thought i'd see you in here Ray. Haha, why do you want to know though? So you know where to ban against me next time? lol. That was a gutsy call not banning FD against me though, but i told you before, you have a better chance at beating me with fox than you do marth. My brother and KFC both main marth for the most part, so i've had plenty of practice. When's the next good Norcal tournament? I wanna make it to another one here soon.....

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
dk does pretty good on most stages.... but..... theres a stage where fox completely ***** dk up the a$$.... i wont disclose it tho lol u have to learn to play dk right anyways

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
Never thought i'd see you in here Ray. Haha, why do you want to know though? So you know where to ban against me next time? lol. That was a gutsy call not banning FD against me though, but i told you before, you have a better chance at beating me with fox than you do marth. My brother and KFC both main marth for the most part, so i've had plenty of practice. When's the next good Norcal tournament? I wanna make it to another one here soon.....
MEXICAN i think there's another Quakfest on the 17th. You gonna make that?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I think Mew2king was kidding.
Apparently he doesn't think Mexican = a good DK and that he just sucks against Fox.

I think M2K is confident in DK vs Fox cause he dominated Chillindude in a moneymatch mid/early 07. He said 1 grab = stock and DKs like Bum are bad at chaingrabbing.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
PokeFloats and Rainbow Cruise are probably the worst for DK vs Fox.
I disagree.

I've been taken to pokefloats before by foxes, and I don't think it's that bad. The stage can screw fox up way more than dk in some sense. DK has a lot of option with combos on that stage considering he can move around if he grabs fox, turn around etc.

Giant punch him in the right direction and he's dead. Some parts of the stage are really small.

KFC, I would beat you.

phish-it

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XZF0th5mAc

you guys need to team with falcons more.
Nice.

Rainbow Cruise is a really good stage for DK actually, not great vs. Fox but there are worse ones. Vs. flotier character he can get gimp kills off the top with cargou-pthrow up-air anomg other things.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Haha because I didn't even consider it. I usually only counterpick really gay stages if I don't think I'll beat the person on a neutral. I should've had match 2 but meh, maybe next time.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Did he ban FD or something?

For the record, I think CFalcon is a harder matchup then Fox, does anyone else agree?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So if I was one of those despicable Brawl players and wanted to play DK in Melee what advice would you give me? Where should I start?

(Yes I did this same post in Scar's Ask a Falcon thread. Yay for lazy posting.)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Apparently he doesn't think Mexican = a good DK and that he just sucks against Fox.

I think M2K is confident in DK vs Fox cause he dominated Chillindude in a moneymatch mid/early 07. He said 1 grab = stock and DKs like Bum are bad at chaingrabbing.
Wow. Them be fightin' words.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Did he ban FD or something?

For the record, I think CFalcon is a harder matchup then Fox, does anyone else agree?
Nah, but Falcon ***** with alot of room and does better vs DK on FD than vice versa. Falcon can be tough, it's one of those match-ups where both characters can **** the **** outta each other.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
MEXICAN i think there's another Quakfest on the 17th. You gonna make that?
I'm gonna try, no promises though. My job doesn't like to give me tournament days off. lol

lol, i don't care what he thinks about my DK, fact is that i beat him using DK and i know way more about DK than he does. M2K is full of it. lol. My money is on KFC 2 stocking his DK

KFC, I would beat you.
Where have you been? lol. And that's a match i'd love to see. Hate to say it, but i'd have to put my money on fox in this one just cuz KFC knows DK like the back of his hand and your style isn't that different from mine. I think it'd be a good match though

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^ Ok
let's keep talking about this so it leads to some epic money matches that gets recorded and uploaded so i can watch them

btw, watching bum vs m2k i realize that another big reason i think m2k thinks dk has the advantage over fox is b/c of his own fox's playstyle and how it does against dk. His fox is very grab heavy and fox's grab game against DK is pretty uneffective. If you look at matchups his fox was/is good against it's against characters who fox combos very well from grabs, like marth.
but I could very much be wrong here (i really don't know anything about m2k's [or bums] playstyle except from what i've seen from vids)

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Where have you been? lol. And that's a match i'd love to see. Hate to say it, but i'd have to put my money on fox in this one just cuz KFC knows DK like the back of his hand and your style isn't that different from mine. I think it'd be a good match though
Bah I can say the same about fox, I know how to play against him and blabla. Most of my stuff is extremly old and from looking at your vids I wouldn't say we have a similar style.

Also, I wasn't really disrespecting him or anything, it's so easy to trashtalk on boards when you most likely won't be able to meet the other guy. I can do it too!

I would love to see how KFC fights DK in a way that bam doesn't. Considering how bam is probably one of the best fox right now >_>. Insane camping maybe?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or is Nair amazing for edgeguarding spacies when you have 0 time to turn around?

I think Mexican mentioned something about it before, but yeah, I looked back at some Bum matches and realized how good offstage Nairs can be for catching Firefoxes/birds and forward Bs.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Bah I can say the same about fox, I know how to play against him and blabla. Most of my stuff is extremly old and from looking at your vids I wouldn't say we have a similar style.

Also, I wasn't really disrespecting him or anything, it's so easy to trashtalk on boards when you most likely won't be able to meet the other guy. I can do it too!

I would love to see how KFC fights DK in a way that bam doesn't. Considering how bam is probably one of the best fox right now >_>. Insane camping maybe?
my style vs dk isnt really campy... im usually just like... really offensive and i use alot of pressuring tactics... i use dash dancing alot.... and use tons of grabs. i do simple things like waveshine usmash uair or waveshine uthrow uair.. it all works pretty good vs dk. and wow dk's recovery is so easy to gimp.. just charge dsmash when dk goes for the ledge, or use dair if they cant sweetspot correctly, run off and shine. lately ive been using fsmash to edgeguard dk because dk's hitbox is so big and it will hit some times.. .. anyways i need to go to sleep.. ill write more later o-o

MEXICAN

Smash Lord

I wanna play Bam now. :)

Is it just me, or is Nair amazing for edgeguarding spacies when you have 0 time to turn around?

I think Mexican mentioned something about it before, but yeah, I looked back at some Bum matches and realized how good offstage Nairs can be for catching Firefoxes/birds and forward Bs.
It is..and it works for that gimp combo i told you guys about before...i might just buy a dvd recorder here soon and then i can upload all the videos i want...

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
my style vs dk isnt really campy... im usually just like... really offensive and i use alot of pressuring tactics... i use dash dancing alot.... and use tons of grabs. i do simple things like waveshine usmash uair or waveshine uthrow uair.. it all works pretty good vs dk. and wow dk's recovery is so easy to gimp.. just charge dsmash when dk goes for the ledge, or use dair if they cant sweetspot correctly, run off and shine. lately ive been using fsmash to edgeguard dk because dk's hitbox is so big and it will hit some times.. .. anyways i need to go to sleep.. ill write more later o-o
You uthrow uair alot? Man, I can almost never get it to work on DK. They usually jump away before I can reach them. Do you chase their double jump or do you just do it really fast?

I wanna see newer vids of KFC's fox vs mexican so bad now. :p

Top Bottom