• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

HiIH

Smash Lord
Hey there Mexican. I've been playing around with DK lately and he's hella fun. Quick question, when I reach high percentages, such as 150-160, I seem to be grabbing/cargoing my opponents and taking another stock down with me (usually when they're at around 30-40, but 60 ideally). How good of an idea is this? What about at even lower percentages, I've been attempting to stage spike before they can escape if I'm close enough. I know they can tech, but is it better to risk it with your high percentage or go for a gimp? What about on Battlefield where you can throw them under the stage?

Thanks!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
has anyone else noticed the melee boards are getting a huge amount of activity lately?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
For one simple reason, Melee is the shiznit (especially in comparison to other fighting games released in the last year).

Mexican, DK vs. Roy. What's the deal there?
One of the only really good matches for DK. Its like fight a really weak marth that can't really combo you, but that you can combo. Shouldn't have any problems here

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
When I used to go on the Roy forums alot, I remember Roy players would always john about how DK ***** the hell out of Roy lol

Oh, and Mexican, about CCing into dsmash Sheik's moves.... THANK YOU for sharing that. For some reason, it's been working too well lately lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Sooooooo...after watching my matches, do you guys see what I mean about the dash attack? and do you guys agree to its usefulness?
I actually don't. imo you can just dash dance around their attack and then grab them which leads to a much easier follow up. I've done it plenty of times. if dash attack has time to come out then you have time to basically pivot your grab

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I actually don't. imo you can just dash dance around their attack and then grab them which leads to a much easier follow up. I've done it plenty of times. if dash attack has time to come out then you have time to basically pivot your grab
In a lot of cases, yes, the grab would be the best choice, but not in all cases. The dash attack stays out there longer than a grab does, and people tend to run into it. And, it can cancel out/beat a lot of moves, while you'll just get hit if you try to grab. You can also use it on a fox that is doing a sh sex kick. On a stage like final d, its not that useful. On a stage like stadium though, it is. It hits them up to the platform giving you a free u air, which might as well be a grab since its what you're going to do out of the grab anyways

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ima already gonna have to show people why they call my DK the golden monkey(i give you a hint....he squirts some liquid in your face when its over =) ).
>_>

sooo, I'm definitely gonna record these DK dittos me and Tink are gonna have lolz

edit:

Guys, check out Phish-It's second set with Scar (yeah...they happened to meet up in tourney again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXYiayOd7x8 = LOL

GunhaverX

Smash Rookie
Down B anyone?

Seems like everybody hates the pound the ground business... are there any uses for DK's ground pound? I mean, I use it to suprise sometimes...

*edit: yo! my first post! Hi all!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
People who hate the "pound the ground business" = usually people who don't even use DK.

It's a pretty solid move since it has good range and catches people during rolls, tech rolls, spot dodges, and whatever.

Bum uses it in pretty much every match he has recorded.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Seems like everybody hates the pound the ground business... are there any uses for DK's ground pound? I mean, I use it to suprise sometimes...

*edit: yo! my first post! Hi all!
It's good in certain situations. Its great for tech chasing and predicting when someone will roll/spot dodge/sit in their shield. It eats away at shields pretty quickly, but most opponents aren't just going to sit there though...

haha, and if you don't have team attack on, when your partner grabs your opponent in teams, you can use your down b on them and they won't be able to escape and it does tremendous damage. lol...yeah...i know, useless info

El HP

Smash Ace
I've using DK's dash attack lately and yes is useful specially on stages with platforms, I don't know about you guys but I think DK's up tilt isn't that bad is pretty decent to counter aerials if you timing is right and leads to an up b it's also very useful to protect your back if your opponent is too far from your up b reach.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I've using DK's dash attack lately and yes is useful specially on stages with platforms, I don't know about you guys but I think DK's up tilt isn't that bad is pretty decent to counter aerials if you timing is right and leads to an up b it's also very useful to protect your back if your opponent is too far from your up b reach.
If its working for you, keep using it. I just personally think that there's always a better option. It kinda depends on your style of play too. If it suits your style, go for it, it just doesn't suit mine

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=58892

lol, people used to be happy with just getting 40% off a grab on a fast faller.
*sigh* If it wasn't for the fact that that thread was back in 05, i'd be ashamed to let the DK community to be proud of 40%. lol. People can judge me DK and say its not as good as bum's or pkmvodka's or whoever else they want, they could even say my DK sucks, but nobody can deny that i've done a lot for the DK community. Haha, but in my mind, i consider myself to be in the pool of one of the top DK's in the world

HiIH

Smash Lord
I haven't been using the Down B lately, since... it seems like if it gets DI'd at all, they can get away from most things you do, unless you use it to start tech chasing a fastfaller or something.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Does DK have any "real" CG on Falcon?
I know there are other options like uthrow uair regrab, but I'm just wondering
DK can't legitimately chaingrab falcon, you might be able to pull it off if they don't expect though. Hell, cargo up-throw up-air regrab isn't even guranteed, If you watch my set vs Scar game 3 you can see Falcon can jump out. If you know they'll jump though, you can just up-air again, and they'll lose their jump which puts the falcon in a bad position.

HiIH said:
I haven't been using the Down B lately, since... it seems like if it gets DI'd at all, they can get away from most things you do, unless you use it to start tech chasing a fastfaller or something.
There is nothing guaranteed from a down-B either, against fastfallers if they Don't DI away, you can usually grab, up-air or crack them, if they DI away you can try and tech chase, or if they jump out, do something from their. Even though you can't combo most characters from it, the down-B is great for controlling space, as it has great range and prevents a ground approach. You can also use it to knock the opponent on a platform and work from there. Oh yeah, it ***** Ice climbers too.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
semi-floaties keep nairing my **** when i cargo u-air what should I do against them and floaties when I get a grab? (other then edgeguard)

phish-it

Smash Champion
Your just not doing it fast enough, DK can cargo-upthrow up-air any character at certain percents. If they are breaking out and hitting you after you hit the first up-air you may be getting greedy (on characters like Luigi atleast). Just try to space it so that you hit with the top of his head and not his huge body.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
K but even when I do it perfectly mario still seems to nair trade with me around 40-50% oh well.
Another question, how do you guys normally get back on the stage from the ledge when say marth is edgeguarding? I watched some bum vids but all I ever saw were roll ups. I can drop back and shffl a nair onto the stage but i still usually eat something.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Ledge dashing is kinda risky, but try it with Invincibility frames. GET UP ATTACKS UNDER 100% ARE TOO ****. The ***.... THE ***.

<.< >.>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
K but even when I do it perfectly mario still seems to nair trade with me around 40-50% oh well.
Another question, how do you guys normally get back on the stage from the ledge when say marth is edgeguarding? I watched some bum vids but all I ever saw were roll ups. I can drop back and shffl a nair onto the stage but i still usually eat something.
I usually drop off and jump back to the ledge a few times until either i see an opening, or he does something stupid giving me a free attack, or i can bait him into rushing in so i can roll onto the stage. As far as the get up attack from the ledge, over 100, don't ever use it. lol. It's horrible and if falco/marth d air you while you're doing it, instead of getting popped up like you should be, you instead get spiked down to your death as if you were off the ledge when you got d air'd. Under 100, its generally really good, but if you use it too much, a lot of people realize that it can be crouch cancelled and there is enough lag that they'll have a free attack on you, for marth, that'd be a f smash, for fox, that'd be an up smash. lol

phish-it

Smash Champion
Yeah like Mexican said it's best to wait until you have an opening that you can get back on stage without getting punished. DK's ledge jump is really good <100 if opponent can't punish you, also the up-b is a great way to come back, especially if they are shielding, just don't abuse it because it can also be crouch canceled at low percents. Up-air is good if they aren't shielding, and are close, f-air, is alright if they can't get away in time and aren't shielding. Sometimes it's just good to waveland shield though.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Any marth help? im really getting out ranged/prioritized when I use DK and pretty much my only approach is shffling bairs or waiting to get him above me...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Any marth help? im really getting out ranged/prioritized when I use DK and pretty much my only approach is shffling bairs or waiting to get him above me...
DK's ground game sucks compared to marths. If you try to use a ground game against him, you'll get beat every time, so you gotta take it to the air. B airs are your best friend. Dash dance a lot, use b airs and giant punches. If you find yourself cornered and facing him, either run off the stage and jump back with a b air, or try to bait him into the air. Just short hop like as if you're going to try and aerial attack, and then as he jumps to meet your attack, just fast fall real quick back to the ground and get under him. You could also try f tilts, but i wouldn't rely on that too often. It'll bat him away for a second, but isn't really something to get you out of the corner. This matchup is all about spacing and mindgames...you have to have better spacing and be smarter than he does though unfortunately

*edit*- I just recorded some matches against KFC's marth yesterday. I'll try to get them up within the next few days. I also got some against falco too

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What characters complement DK well in teams? >_> I've been at a loss for a while.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks I seem to get cornered a lot so off stage to bairs and empty short hops sound pretty sick ill have to try that tomorrow on my roomie.

Can't really see too many good 2v2 situations for Dk...but the only thing better then one DK is two!!! (thats a joke btw)

HiIH

Smash Lord
The 0-death on spacies...

What's the best way to practice it? I can SOMETIMES do it, but usually I'll eff it up. Also, I can't seem to do it to C. Falcon. They always seem to be able to DJ out after the cargo'd uthrow>Uair before I can regrab.

otg

Smash Master
Double DK (especially when he's Blue) is absolutely beastly.

How about some help vs. Falcon? I played against JD today and he beasted me pretty hard, his Falcon got very good. Should have some vids up soon, so hopefully you guys can give me input, but what are some good pointers and things to watch out for?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lol, darkrain and I actually did Double DK yesterday... maybe with some practice it'd be beastly.

Top Bottom