• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
lol that looked like dragon ball z...oh and why the **** can't I reverse giant punches consistently? I don't understand the method.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Looks like you know what you're doing for the most part.

Against samus, only thing i can advise is to be careful when edgeguarding her, its real easy to mess up and end up dying. It looks like you did just fine though. I'd advise charging my giant punch a little bit more often. Other than that, looks like you have the right idea. Spam b airs is pretty much all you need to do against her and you did that just fine.

Against falco, i can't tell if you were trying to use up b or not in some places (who can tell with how fast falcos shine comes out), but if you weren't trying to use up b when falco was in the sweet spot while he was pillaring your shield, you should've been. And if you're going to suicide with someone, do a d throw when you get pretty low, it takes some time for the throw to happen, and once you're in the middle of the throw, they can't break out of it. If you did a d throw against falco when you tried that suicide, he would've died with you. Also, if falco is on a platform, and you have a free attack on him, go with u air, it looks like you were using b air. Its a decent second choice, but u air should definitely be your first.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
lol, looks like this marth doesn't really have any DK experience. Ok, a few places i can help you out. First, when marth is knocked off stage and is trying to come in high, make sure you punish him. He's just asking to get hit with a b air. It looks like you did for the most part, but shyed away from it in at least one instance

Another is that on stages like battlefield, fod, yoshis and dreamland, if you grab marth, cargo, full jump u throw, and then dj with an u air to land on the top platform. It'll hit them perfectly to set up u air combos (so you can get some u airs and possibly b airs on marth as you would a fox that you were juggling with u airs). This also works on peach, sheik, and a few other pesky high tiers. You'll get the most damage this way. Again, your choice is a good second choice, but if it was me, i'd go for the top platform rather than the side one because of the fact that higher level players will know not to di towards another platform leading themselves into a deeper combo.

Another thing, when you grab marth at over 100 damage, he needs to die. If its somewhere huge like dreamland, then its different, but on final d, you should've killed him. If you did a full jump u throw, dj into an u air, marth would've died. That little bit of extra height would've been enough to KO him. Don't let an opportunity to put him away pass you by.

The second match against marth, i think you could've won if you didn't pass up so many chances to punish his mistakes. The trick to beating marth is to stay just out of range of his sword, but close enough to him that when he makes a mistake, you're right there to punish him. I definitely think that if your b air game and spacing was better, you would've ***** this marth. I can tell by watching this match, i would've 2 stocked this marth easy, especially on final d. I'm not trying to talk crap or anything, it just looks like he doesn't know how to fight DK and he leaves himself open a lot and I would've taken advantage of every opening i got.

Don't full jump against marth unless you're just trying to bait him, and if you are, make sure you're well out of range of him getting you with a f air. When you do a b air, unless you're countering him being already in the air, only do the b air last second on the way down, otherwise you'll get shield grabbed or f air'd every time.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, I'm just trying to help you get better. I just uploaded one match of me against KFC's marth, and i'll be uploading more soon. I'll also be uploading some against my brother Meep's marth. Hopefully somebody can gain something from the matches. I'm doing my best to get more matches up with more examples of some of the advice i give in an actual match.

Overall, i'd say it was a pretty good match though. It looks like you have the basics down, you just have to work on spacing a little bit

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*amazing info*
I'm not trying to be hard on you, I'm just trying to help you get better.
Totally understand haha. I really appreciate you taking the time to critique my DK :)

Thanks again. Your tips, as always, are extremely useful.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
hm, nj's dk looks better then mex's dk just from me watching

the first vid of nj vs marth and mexi vs his bro, eh idk

mexican seemed very hesitant and slow in that vid.

try being blue dk next time

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
stop sucking on it max.

actually i changed my mind. max here is the best dk.

hes the only one that has his own dk story and

little dialogue to go along with his gameplay.

"oh im sorry" and "im a big blue monkey"

lol your so gay

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
reason why nj's looks better is cus hes allowed to move freely because the marth hes playing isnt punishing him for it. mexican knows that vs any good marth, u have to move slow and calculated or else ull get *****.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I also beat taj's marth in tourney, don't forget that part. lol. And this is definitely a john, lol, but KFC and i had no controllers that day because my brother took them out of town with him, so we had his 3 year old controller with the rubber peeling off, and a wavebird...lol. We weren't even going to post the vids since the controllers were so bad, but i just did it anyways. lol. haha, an example, every one of my spot dodges was supposed to be a wavedash. lol. Oh yeah, and KFC isn't my brother...KFC is asian..lol. My brother is Meep. KFC is a crewmember... Oh yeah..and one more thing that might sound like a john, but i think is a valid point, is that KFC knows my DK better than anyone, so i have to do weird random mindgames that i would never use on anyone else generally, just because i have to do something that he wouldn't expect. He knows pretty much everything that's coming whenever i play him, so i have to approach him differently than i would some other random marth that i played...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
i like your dk nj :] its fast
lol, thanks. I guess it comes from playing space animals so much. I guess that's also why I'm not very safe/good at spacing.

I need a shine and lasers to protect me lol.
hm, nj's dk looks better then mex's dk just from me watching
..... you speak BLASPHEMY.

Please don't compare me to MEXICAN haha.
My brother is Meep.
Your brother, Meep, is he that Snake/Marth Brawl player?

otg

Smash Master
stop sucking on it max.

actually i changed my mind. max here is the best dk.

hes the only one that has his own dk story and

little dialogue to go along with his gameplay.

"oh im sorry" and "im a big blue monkey"

lol your so gay
Don't forget such classics like:

-"Oh I'm sorry, last time I checked I was a monkey"
-"Monkees don't give a ****"
-"I'm going to need a good lawyer, we all just saw that ****"

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Yeah..i'm kinda surprised he got so good in brawl being that i never played it so he never got that other competitive player to practice with constantly. I never got into brawl because i've never liked it and i don't know **** about it. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
brawl is soo gaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy
I second that remark. lol

Edit- sorry guys, i've been trying to upload more vids, but youtube is trippin and i tried uploading like i always do, but its not uploading. It says that it is, and i thought maybe it just took a long time, so i left it alone when i went to work and when i go home, nothing changed. lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Can't grab runaway laser spam =P

Also you only die to a grab on Final D and like... I dunno, Mute City.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Lol grab equals death with platforms too...free u-air or 2 most of the time but I guess you can't do the 0-death

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
No hahahah he was Brainjack before...but got ownt..so now hes just MexicanBJ

Top Bottom