• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Remember when MEXICAN had a ton of vids to upload but then youtube was gay and he quit :(

You should give your vids to someone else so they can upload it. Youtube tends to act ******** on only certain accounts at certain times.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol Mexican tried to send me one of his vids
it was 7.1 gb, which is probably why YT was gay to him.
Strong Bad you should try to come to this tournament w/ Darkrain in CT this weekend, I'll be there :)
Can't man, plane tickets are $230 and my crew isn't driving. only dmac, darkrain, and one or two others are going. :\ I might be going to TO4 though, which is two weeks from CT. you should go.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol Mexican tried to send me one of his vids
it was 7.1 gb, which is probably why YT was gay to him.
Strong Bad you should try to come to this tournament w/ Darkrain in CT this weekend, I'll be there :)
Can't man, plane tickets are $230 and my crew isn't driving. only dmac, darkrain, and one or two others are going. :\ I might be going to TO4 though, which is two weeks from CT. you should go.

edit: lol double post?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*Sigh*

I know Mexican is using Windows Movie Maker.

Hmm, before you press the publish button (@ Mexican), choose the second choice "Compress to:" and change the MB size to a reasonable amount.
Basically, DON'T do the first/default/recommend choice before you publish the video.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
*Sigh*

I know Mexican is using Windows Movie Maker.

Hmm, before you press the publish button (@ Mexican), choose the second choice "Compress to:" and change the MB size to a reasonable amount.
Basically, DON'T do the first/default/recommend choice before you publish the video.
Alright alright. I uploaded a pair against falco. I'll put up another 5 or 6 tomorrow. We got some good matches recorded, and the best part is that i won most of them. lol. Will be up tomorrow.

BTW, here's a change. I want you guys to critique my DK. Tell me what different things you think that i should try that maybe has worked really well for you...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Do you have anything on approaching Marth? Or should I just be camping and looking for a place to randomly grab or combo into grab and mostly camp Giant Punch charges to make him nervous and sweaty and then snap and come after me? DK's grab range seems fairly big.

Also, how do you gimp people from grab? Namely spacies. Or do you simply skip the gimping procedure altogether and simply walk towards the stage/onto a platform and then do the chain grab? If so, do you find it more efficient to do so?

Also, Sheik is gay. Explain how to fight her.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Don't challenge Marth's range. Just don't. He has more range than you AND a shield. If you must, I'd go with bairs or nairs, but make sure you dash dance and get him to commit to something before you try the approach.

Gimps are just like... bairs and Spinning Kong... same out of grab or not.

EDIT: Also, Mexican, it's hard to critique you when most of your matches aren't serious =P

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
All right, against Julian, right?

I find it easiest to edgeguard the Fire Fox by getting closer to it. That way, you're occupying more of the lanes in which he might go at once, and with the priority and coverage of DK's bair, it shouldn't be too hard to knock him out of it.

I dunno about the fulljump approaches, especially on Battlefield. The platforms make it so that you can't really change up your angles, and with DK's weight and priority, I think you could afford to just trade hits every once in a while.

You get caught off to the side a lot... that kinda limits your options from the uthrow because of the platforms, and Fox will get you off the edge much easier that way...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
All right, against Julian, right?

I find it easiest to edgeguard the Fire Fox by getting closer to it. That way, you're occupying more of the lanes in which he might go at once, and with the priority and coverage of DK's bair, it shouldn't be too hard to knock him out of it.

I dunno about the fulljump approaches, especially on Battlefield. The platforms make it so that you can't really change up your angles, and with DK's weight and priority, I think you could afford to just trade hits every once in a while.

You get caught off to the side a lot... that kinda limits your options from the uthrow because of the platforms, and Fox will get you off the edge much easier that way...
lol, against Julian was from almost a year ago, but thanks nonetheless. I made a lot of mistakes in that match, and there were a few things that were just stupid in that match (d smash not hitting him and his sex kick beating my giant punch).

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dunno, that was the most recent you vs Fox vid that wasn't against KFC. Although technically all those vids are last year =P

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
All I can really say is that you're missing some JC grabs and you miss a couple techs here and there. I saw back-throw on FoD, what's with that? o.o

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
All I can really say is that you're missing some JC grabs and you miss a couple techs here and there. I saw back-throw on FoD, what's with that? o.o
It's pretty tough to combo on that stage, so i try going for the gimps. B throw sets up for gimps... that and i might've done one or two of them on accident. lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Seems like you're trying too hard with the dash attack and uair approaches... I dunno, they're kinda easy to see coming? The only real mixup you do is the run in, wavedash back then attacking...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Seems like you're trying too hard with the dash attack and uair approaches... I dunno, they're kinda easy to see coming? The only real mixup you do is the run in, wavedash back then attacking...
Eh, what can i say? i'm really defensive. I try to let my opponent approach me rather than trying to approach them. DK's only real approach is approaching backwards, and in that case, it's pretty difficult to get a grab that way. I try to read my opponent and counter rather than rush in. And yes, the dash attack misses a lot, but look at how many times i throw it out, and look how many times i'm being punished for it..not that many when you look at it. It's kinda risky, but it usually pays off when you can land it. As for the u airs, it works against some, it doesn't work against others. It probably works better on falcon than it does fox or falco, but you gotta get your grab/combo somehow. lol. I'll try mixing up my approach more though. I'll see how it goes for me

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Sounds good. I dunno, Fox is a rough character to play against, especially as DK.
Hopefully NJ updates the thread soon. If you haven't subscribed to my videos already, you probably should so that you don't have to wait for me to post the link (since i usually forget). There's a vid up of falcon, another one or two coming up soon

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm curious on your take of this Mexican.
I've been fighting a jigglypuff, which has been a royal pain. The only thing I can really do is bair and up b when she attacks from above. I've been winning, but barely. Is there anything I can do? She seems to out prioritize everything!

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'm curious on your take of this Mexican.
I've been fighting a jigglypuff, which has been a royal pain. The only thing I can really do is bair and up b when she attacks from above. I've been winning, but barely. Is there anything I can do? She seems to out prioritize everything!
I don't have that much experience against jiggs myself. After beating DSF's marth, i lost to his jiggs. lol. If you can manage to grab her, at low damages you can d throw to giant punch. You can chain grab her with d throws if she doesn't DI right. You can also u throw to u air at lower damages. The best thing to do is camp with b airs and charge your giant punch. Do full jumped charges, and if she tries to come in, fast fall and b air. It's really difficult for jiggs to get passed that. Also, the giant punch is just as good as a rest when it comes to this battle. Jiggs is really light, so she dies from the giant punch at relatively low damages. This matchup is all about spacing. You just have to space yourself better than the jiggs

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I have a question. Where is the spiky part of the fair, and how can I avoid hitting it out of the uthrow?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Think of it this way: tippering is the horizontal hit, most other parts of his fair is the meteor. You can usually hit with fair by holding away from them for a bit and using fair with c-stick. If they DI behind you from the up-throw though you should just full jump or double jump bair.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I have a question. Where is the spiky part of the fair, and how can I avoid hitting it out of the uthrow?
I'm pretty sure that it's just the last part of the f air. If you don't hit them with your f air until the last second, it'll meteor them, anytime before then will hit them away....i wish it didn't meteor and i wish that dk didn't have his forward b. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Random tournament advice not necessarily about DK specifically....

Always sit down in a chair and be comfortable, and make sure you have a good view (not at an angle) of the T.V...

Make sure you don't have a ****ty controller. lol..

First round is your trial run. It's the least important, and most important match....

It's the most important, because it is your opportunity to read your opponent and their good/bad habits and play style. You need to pay attention to what your opponent does in certain situations and remember them for the following matche(s). You'll also want to try and keep your bad habits in check.

It's the least important, because if you read your opponent well enough, then you can take advantage of their bad habits and you'll beat them the next 2 rounds if you're good enough anyways.

One suggestion, and this one can be very important. It could help you a lot. Have a good friend/crewmate watch your match very closely. Have them keep an eye on your opponent and look for bad habits. For example, I've had DarkMike watch my matches against fox/falco players. He noticed that some of these foxes would do 3 dashes, and then a short hopped sex kick habitually. So after the third one, i knew to expect a sex kick in the second match. Every time he did it, it resulted in a grab for me. Against a falco, he noticed that the falco would pillar my shield twice and do a full jump after the second time expecting the shine to hit me. I kept my light shield up, and after he did his full hop, i jumped with him and hit him with an u air and landed a grab afterwards.....These are all habitual and very difficult to stop doing mid game, and so it would be very difficult for them to change up their game right away, so this will give you a definite edge.

This is also very important, do a little bit of research on your opponent beforehand if you can. Find out who else they are good with. This can be very important when counterpicking. If you're fighting a jiggs, and then you counterpick yoshis, and then all of the sudden you find out this person has a very good fox/marth also, then you just put yourself in a bad spot. I've lost matches because of similar situations. lol. For instance, i didn't know much about taj. I knew he had a marth and a mewtwo, no idea he had a fox. I took him to floats, he picked fox, and that was all she wrote. lol. (btw, that's a bad DK stage in general, i thought it'd be good, but for the most part, it wasnt)

If you like to listen to music while you play, I'd suggest keeping it low enough to hear the game too. There are a lot of audio cues in the game. lol, i saw someone get falcon punched due to the opponent not being able to hear and the opponent thought that they were doing a different move. Right when you hear "FALCON...", you know to stay away from his front. lol.

Ignore the people behind you, even if they're cheering for you. Don't get distracted.

If you're in a pool, try to go last. Watch your pool matches. This kinda falls under researching your opponents. The people you know you're more likely going to need to worry about, watch them very closely. If you go last, it also doesn't give others time to research you for the most part.

That's all i can think of at the moment, i'll probably add more later. Trust me, these things may seem small, but they can make all the differnce

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Random fact about DK #12: When DK forward smashes or giant punches a wall, it pushes him back. At stages like pokemon stadium, when the rock is up, you can stand on the small platform in the little pit and f smash the wall and it will push you off of the platform, cancelling out all lag and you can do an aerial move instantly afterwards. I use this as a mindgame. I stand on it, charge the f smash, and when they approach, i let it go and then i can do any aerial move instantly, which is usually a b air since they try to come from the side. If they try coming from the top, f smash the wall, hit your c stick up immediately and then up b. lol. I do it all the time. To add a little bit more sexiness to it, you can f smash the wall, use your second jump immediately and wavedash off of the slanted platform to your right and giant punch/f air/n air/d air/b air/anything else you feel like doing. It works extremely well. Trust. lol

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
Hey I was recently looking for a secondary character, my main being Marth. And after playing with Doc, Samus and Link I decided to pick up the big Ape. Mainly because it doesn't require a lot of technical ability to become good with him, and his attacks are pretty straightforward. Also I like his raw power yet surprising speed. I do have some questions though.

When under pressure I often CCC with down-tilt -forward-tilt and it works very well, it gives a reasonable amount of damage and knockback+ it has long reach and high priority. Is this a good technique, what do you think?

Another question, when you're charging your Giant punch and you get disrupted, do you still receive the charge bonus on execution of the move or do you have to start from scratch.

Lastly is it wise to approach people with a Nair/Fair SHFFL? I find that the Nair has very low priority and I always get intercepted by characters with long reach before I land the hit. And Fair has a rather awkard timing.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
A lot of charge moves lose all of their charge when you get knocked out of any special attack. DK's is no exception. If you're charging and you get hit, you lose all your charge.

Crouch cancel counter dtilt doesn't really lead to any combos or anything... I'd go for a grab if possible.

I approach with nair but... I know MEXICAN likes dash attack against spacies... grab and bair are good too.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
dk approaches with dash dances and back airs. if u can approach ur opponent with anything else, ur opponent either doesnt know how to play vs dk or is playing badly atm. im pretty sure mexican would agree with me =P

also u can charge ur giant punch to full, and sometimes ur opponent will get scared nd u can giant punch him by just running up and giant punching

i think mexican would agree with everything i just said, but he'll probably add alot more about approaching lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Hey I was recently looking for a secondary character, my main being Marth. And after playing with Doc, Samus and Link I decided to pick up the big Ape. Mainly because it doesn't require a lot of technical ability to become good with him, and his attacks are pretty straightforward. Also I like his raw power yet surprising speed. I do have some questions though.

When under pressure I often CCC with down-tilt -forward-tilt and it works very well, it gives a reasonable amount of damage and knockback+ it has long reach and high priority. Is this a good technique, what do you think?

Another question, when you're charging your Giant punch and you get disrupted, do you still receive the charge bonus on execution of the move or do you have to start from scratch.

Lastly is it wise to approach people with a Nair/Fair SHFFL? I find that the Nair has very low priority and I always get intercepted by characters with long reach before I land the hit. And Fair has a rather awkard timing.
Crouch canceling should only be used either to A: Get a crouch cancelled grab (rarely works) B: To use a d tilt to get your opponent off of you (maybe followed up by a n air or grab, i'll leave that part up to you), or C: to get a crouch cancelled d smash. Works best when you're at low damages and they're at high damages, if they're at low damages, they won't go very far and will have a chance to attack you in your lag.

You lose your charge if you get hit while charging or while you're doing your up b.

For the most part, i try not to approach them, i am a very defensive player, i let them approach me and react accordingly. If they're camping and you have to approach, approach with b airs, n airs (if you think you can catch them off guard) and dash attacks against spacies. Dash dancing and a simple wavedash back are what i recommend.

Against a lot of characters, after an attempted smash attack on you, you can wavedash in and get a grab. (works really well against a marth that tries to f smash you). Even if you're not facing the right way, you can wavedash back, and get a dash grab in his lag.

dk approaches with dash dances and back airs. if u can approach ur opponent with anything else, ur opponent either doesnt know how to play vs dk or is playing badly atm. im pretty sure mexican would agree with me =P

also u can charge ur giant punch to full, and sometimes ur opponent will get scared nd u can giant punch him by just running up and giant punching

i think mexican would agree with everything i just said, but he'll probably add alot more about approaching lol
I'm the green ape elect MEXICAN F.T.A, and i approve of this message. =)

Top Bottom