• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You wanna know how to easily beat falco? ok..

Step one: Cut a hole in a box.....oh wait, totally thinking of something else entirely. haha....yeah, i don't know. Falco's just a *****. lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Those matches are ridonkulous @_@

EDIT: Hey Mexican, why weren't you going for the full chaingrab?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think mex prefers cargo up -> upair -> regrab as opposed to 3 cg's. I do, as well.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I have another question. Should I approach with the Giant Punch, or should I save it for KO's etc?

Also, Bum uses the D-smash and down-b a lot. Should I attempt to implement these moves into my gameplay? I'm guessing I should just to mix it up a bit. =/

Also, Falco sucks. wtf do I do. XD

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I have another question. Should I approach with the Giant Punch, or should I save it for KO's etc?

Also, Bum uses the D-smash and down-b a lot. Should I attempt to implement these moves into my gameplay? I'm guessing I should just to mix it up a bit. =/

Also, Falco sucks. wtf do I do. XD
Only approach with the giant punch if you think it'll land. You can mindgame it. jump towards them with giant punch charging, and then as you land, cancel the charge and run up and grab. haha. It doesn't work too often, but it does occasionally.

Down smash is good in certain situations...I mainly do it when my opponent is at high damage and i'm at low damage. I'll crouch cancel d smash. I also use it on jigglypuff because...i don't know, it works well against her for some reason. lol.

Down b is good in certain situations. It's really good for tech chases or when you think your opponent is going to roll/wavedash in. Be careful with it though, you don't want to spam it or otherwise your opponent will read it and counter it.

And against falco, just hope that falco sd's 4 stocks straight. haha, jk. Well..my main strategy against falco is to just get him to the floor. Your chances of comboing/landing your grab greatly increases after he's hit the floor in a stumbling animation. He has to either tech or hit the floor regularly, in either case, that's that second or two that you need to approach him without getting hit with a laser. You can try a tech chased grab, if you're close enough go for the down b, or you can use my favorite move for tech chasing on a lot of stages, the dash attack. (dash attack hits them up to the platform above you setting up for an u air and it lasts long so can't be spot dodged and had decent priority so will beat most moves falco can get out). Falco is just stupid for DK. lol

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
DK has so many ugly colors. >_> Only Brown and Black are remotely cool. XD

Okay, thanks for the help Mexi.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't find any of the colors particularly icky. I like Black DK though. I also use Black Marth and Falcon >_>

otg

Smash Master
Listen fools, Blue DK's is only Blue because of his 20 year military training underwater which allowed him to become super strong. His monkey copter, BFFD, and Cargo stage spikes are stronger than any of the other DK's. Also Green DK's is sickly/stoner DKs and Black DKs is the betrayer.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Listen fools, Blue DK's is only Blue because of his 20 year military training underwater which allowed him to become super strong. His monkey copter, BFFD, and Cargo stage spikes are stronger than any of the other DK's. Also Green DK's is sickly/stoner DKs and Black DKs is the betrayer.
And yet again, i say money match my green dk with your blue dk and we'll see what color is stronger. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Something I've noticed in watching some people's matches that I think should be commented on, is that some of you guys hold onto the giant punch for waaay too long. Yes, it's good to have the giant punch charged as often as possible, but it doesn't do you much good to charge it if you're not going to use it.

Advantages of having a charge:
1) you have your finishing move for any combos that you do
2) you have one of the highest priority, highest damage, longest range moves in the game
3) You make your opponent a lot less likely to approach to your front for fear of the giant punch

Advantages of NOT having a charge:
1) You can turn around in the air to get your b air game going (very important)
2) You can make a camping opponent approach you when you start charging
3) You have unpredictability and scare tactics on your side (i.e. You can jump towards someone, approaching with a charging giant punch, and cancel it as you land and grab them)

You need to find a balance between these two. Once you have your giant punch charged, use it at the first opportunity that you think you have, don't just save it for your combos. You need to be able to turn around in the air sometimes, and having a charged giant punch doesn't allow that.

Although the giant punch is the best KO move, its far from being DK's only ko move, so you don't have to save it just for KOs, not even out of combos. If your opponent DI's in front of you when you're comboing them, after they get relatively close to the end of the stage, use a n air into an up b.

Example here at 1:26: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTEDKDgYGD4&feature=channel_page

If they DI behind you when you're near the edge, you can do a b air and depending on their DI, you can sometimes also follow it up with an up b or even another b air. If not, they're still put in a bad spot and you can edgeguard them if you're skilled enough.

If they DI up, (which is the best way to escape DK's combos), you can f air them, but unfortunately, if they're DI'ing up, you won't kill them with the f air, but a giant punch wouldn't kill them either if they DI up the whole time because they'll go too high after the third u air which means less up airs which means less damage.

The other option is to just up b them after the first u air or two, it usually catches them off guard and can sometimes lead into a ko or an easy edgeguard. Example here at 1:48:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNei5ZgqWo&feature=channel_page.

Basically, what i'm saying is use the giant punch, don't just keep it charged until you get hit out of your up b and you lose it

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:51 PM): MEXICAN can wombo combo a jigglypuff in a singles match
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:54 PM): with DK
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:43:58 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:44:08 PM): true facts.
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:25 PM): yeah
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:44 PM): mexican's dk has uthrow,bthrow,fthrow,dthrow, and wombo combo
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:56 PM): lol
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:18 PM): he taps B after he grabs someone and then you hear HMW going "OHHHHHHHH, OHHHHHH"
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:45:24 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:25 PM): "OH MY GOD!!! WOMBOOO COMBOOOO"
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:38 PM): "my **** hurts!!!!1!1"

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:51 PM): MEXICAN can wombo combo a jigglypuff in a singles match
SWF Strong Bad (9:43:54 PM): with DK
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:43:58 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:44:08 PM): true facts.
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:25 PM): yeah
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:44 PM): mexican's dk has uthrow,bthrow,fthrow,dthrow, and wombo combo
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:44:56 PM): lol
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:18 PM): he taps B after he grabs someone and then you hear HMW going "OHHHHHHHH, OHHHHHH"
In5AnEmENTALITY (9:45:24 PM): LMAO
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:25 PM): "OH MY GOD!!! WOMBOOO COMBOOOO"
SWF Strong Bad (9:45:38 PM): "my **** hurts!!!!1!1"
lol, wtf?....

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Waffles has to teach people how to commentate videos.

EC commentary is pretty bland :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
from my experience, DK doesn't have much of a chance vs. Young Link. He's like Falco; his projectiles can be spammed and they turn around DK so he can't b-air spam very effectively. DK doesn't have too many options. You have to get the most out of every hit you make on Young Link. Edgeguard w/ downtilt and hope you can gimp his recovery >_>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Ok, DK vs. Y Link. What's the match up like? It seems in Y.Link's favor as it's hard to deal with his spamming, plus bombs setup in KO's pretty easily.

Thoughts?
It's a tough match, but definitely not as bad as someone like falco. y link can spam very very well, but once you get passed it, you have the advantage. Your b air will beat pretty much all of y links moves. If you can grab him, you can tack on a good chunk of damage from u air into up b. Biggest advantage of all that you have is that y link lacks ko moves, and DK survives forever. Y link can only really kill with d smash for the most part. It hits you very far horizontally....Good think DK has one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game. Y link on the other hand is fairly light, and DK has a ton of KO moves.

Higher level y link players will always throw their boomerang out before they toss their bomb making it nearly impossible to catch the bombs, so i wouldn't rely on trying to play catch with him.

Stay aerial, you don't stand a chance against y link on the ground, his spam will tear you apart. Stay in the air, turn around with the giant punch charge if/when you need to. When you get close, spam b airs in his face and grab. One of the things you have to remember, if y link misses a grab, you have a free attack, so he'll be a little more hesitant when it comes to shield grabbing. If you do get grabbed, he'll d throw and probably either d smash or u tilt or something else similar. My suggestion, don't ever tech in place. Worst he'll do to you if you tech away is hit you with a boomerang or grab you again if he's lucky, but that's better than taking the d smash or u tilt into some other move.

Another thing, edgeguarding. If you think he's going to use his grapple hook, just drop off the ledge and let yourself get hit by it and then just up b. It'll time itself to up b them as they pull themselves in. They might possibly hold off on pulling themselves in, but you may still hit them as y links grapple is pretty short.

lol, honestly, i don't have too much y link experience, but the few that i have played have never given me any problems. DarkMike has been known to bust out the little kid every once in awhile, and his hasn't given me any problems. I've also played ChuDats y link on final d, and it also didn't give me any trouble.

If you have any specific questions about the matchup, let me know and i'll answer to the best of my knowledge

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Wow, this room got pretty dead. No questions lately? Well, i have like...a bajillion matches of my DK vs fox. Are there any other characters that you guys want to see played? I can probably find a decent player of almost any character. Btw, the newest DK vs falco match i have is pretty good, you guys should check it out.

How to pwn Falco. MEXICAN (DK) VS KFC (FALCO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zeF2cYb_s

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
marth
sheik
captain falcon
peach
ice climbers
jigglypuff

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
marth
sheik
captain falcon
peach
ice climbers
jigglypuff
Ice climbers is the only one that i might have trouble getting some matches against. I'll work on getting the others recorded. I have at least 4 or 5 vids against falcon, they're not all uploaded by me either, so do a search if you haven't already

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah i can deal if you can't find a good IC's to play, I have a good IC's in my area to play anyway.
captain falcon, idk, i don't really need vids for him but it seems like you have less vids of him than vs. fox and stuff, and i meant more against a really good falcon. like... silent spectre or something.

Top Bottom