• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

DrewB008

Smash Lord

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Two things I noticed.

One is you seem to be in the air too much. Against Falco and especially on a small level, I feel like you should be trying to stay on the ground where you have more maneuverability. That isn't to say you shouldn't be jumping at all, but I felt like you were doublejumping to break out of tumble too much, and fulljumping in places where I thought you would've been better off with shorthops.

The second is that you got really predictable with your bairs. You started out with dashdances and that was good, but once you got into bair range, you dropped the dashdance entirely and only used one or two empty shorthops as your mindgame, which I don't think are really going to be enough. It's when you're close that you want to weave in and out so you can bait something that you can easily punish.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mexican you would be proud, i took a fox to Pokemon Stadium in tournament and 0-death'd him on the last stock when i had high %.
everyone was liek WHOA

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
That's pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure when I'm down in stock, I just go for the lame kills.
Don't we all? lol. I was almost going to lose to zelgadis at yoshis in a friendly. I grabbed him, jumped off the stage and threw him back (i was facing the stage so i threw him out), and i don't know if it was bad DI or what, but he died instantly at 0 damage. hahaha

otg

Smash Master
Don't we all? lol. I was almost going to lose to zelgadis at yoshis in a friendly. I grabbed him, jumped off the stage and threw him back (i was facing the stage so i threw him out), and i don't know if it was bad DI or what, but he died instantly at 0 damage. hahaha
I did not want to post this here because of how good it is, but since you blew it up I shall. If you cargo stage spike people, they will die first unless they see it coming and Tech it. This works VERY VERY VERY well on BF and PS in particular because of the LIP on their stages. You can also do this on Dreamland, but you need to fall lower to get them underneath the level... and they have WAAAY more wiggle room to get out.

Pretty much:

Cargo-> drop off stage ->instantly bthrow under level -> Profit.

This is just a nice way to even up a game you are behind, or gain a bigger lead when you are ahead a stock. Don't rely on it, as people will learn to tech it and COULD... emphasis on COULD survive. It's not likely, but they could atleast live longer than you so you die first.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
it works way better, they generally die before they even realize what happened, ive won sets basically due to that trick alone

anytime im at really high % and theyre at really low % i go for it, so long as im not down stock. most characters cant survive on battlefield without teching, so dont try to up b or anything cause you may save them and theres no chance of you living

it works on fd too but you need like perfect timing

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I try not to rely on this because higher levels WILL tech it, and if/when they do, you just killed yourself and they're sitting on the stage taunting you. lol. Some people can survive it even if you do it right and they don't tech. KFC survived it using marth at dreamland. I threw him under the stage, he teched it, did a forward b, second jump, forward b, and then did his up b and recovered after being thrown under dreamland. My advice, unless you're desperate, don't use it. If they're at decent damage, just walk off, fast fall, and on the way down, do the d throw. It takes time for the throw to actually happen, but once started, they cannot shake out of it, and only do this if you're ahead a stock or if you're at really high damage and they're at low damage.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
KFC survived it using marth at dreamland. I threw him under the stage, he teched it, did a forward b, second jump, forward b, and then did his up b and recovered after being thrown under dreamland.
Yes, thats right. I survived the gimp. Why and HOW you ask? simply, because i am TOO GOOD.

yes thats right my insubordinates, you can only hope to achieve the level of awesomeness that is KFC.

now bow down, you insulent fooLs!!!!!!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah I cargo down throw people below battlefield at times. most of my friends wiggle ridiculously so I usually have to settle for a combo :(

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Yes, thats right. I survived the gimp. Why and HOW you ask? simply, because i am TOO GOOD.

yes thats right my insubordinates, you can only hope to achieve the level of awesomeness that is KFC.

now bow down, you insulent fooLs!!!!!!
ALTHOUGH...i have gimped him in that way a thousand times, and that is ONCE that he survived it after having it done to him so many times. hahahahahahah

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Anybody else in here a Steelers fan? haha. I'm a huge steelers fan. It was a great game too. Anyways, yeah...back to smash....expect a combo vid in the next month or two...

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
I wish. If that was possible, don't you think you'd see that pretty often? He basically does an underhanded throw that just can't be DI'd as much, at least not up. They don't go very far at all though
werd true, but nah i just here cuz otg is gay and beats me with dk

Anybody else in here a Steelers fan? haha. I'm a huge steelers fan. It was a great game too. Anyways, yeah...back to smash....expect a combo vid in the next month or two...
hells yea, yo i wanted to turn off the tv when arizona scored i got so tight, but my boy #10 is too good, i forgot his name but hes a beast. ben did awesome, i was sad palomalu didnt get that much action, hes the main attraction

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Kay. I started using DK kinda. haha.

I'm having troubles with edgeguarding though. I watched matches of like, pkm and phish-it and bum of course, and it seems like they all have missed opportunities to edgeguard.

Like, against Marth, I do the light-shield, or I space an f-smash or something. Strangely enough, I don't have that much trouble edgeguarding marth. Spacies are a little harder though.

If they illusion, I usually intercept with a nair and that usually works pretty well. But when the fire fox from below, I donno what to do. Properly spaced F-smashes and Dtilts? I always get knicked by the fire. =(

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Can someone tell me why exactly Green Greens and Jungle Japes is a good CP? I get camped to hell on JJ, and I die pretty quickly off the side on GG.

And is DK64 a good cp? PKM counterpicked it against FalseFalco at cast4.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
green greens for early ko's off top and you can jump out throw them to death at 0 if you grab them near the side

japes cause you can cargo dthrow them right into the water

dk64 cause dk doesnt need ledges that much maybe, i dunno

all of these have huge cons as well, generally in the form of camping space animals

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah, but camping spacies is a problem on pretty much every stage. =(

Okay. lol. I don't know if this has been found out but, when I grabbed a Marth at the ledge when he didn't sweet spot and when Marth wiggled out, he didn't have a jump and there was not enough time to up-B. We tested it out and if Marth didn't try to wiggle out, he still had enough time to up-b, but it doesn't reach the edge anyhow. Is this new or more importantly, practical? There are occasions where you can bait a Marth into recovering above the edge I suppose. I donno though. Ideas? :|

DrewB008

Smash Lord
camping spacies is a problem everywhere, yeah, but the separation of these levels gives them a little natural fortress

and thats a pretty hot edgeguard if you can manage to get a marth to recover that poorly, maybe in teams. did you cargo or just hold them?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You just hold. Cargo will cause them to grab the ledge I believe. I guess we should test this on other recoveries too =D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DK64 is a great DK stage because the barrel helps his terrible vertical recovery.
And he gets +10% defense and offense from home stage.

That edgeguard also works but only if you're on the very edge of the stage.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
So. I'm thinking of using DK as a main, and keep my fox for doubles and for sheik/marth/yoshistory.

DK is so much fun omfg.

Top Bottom