• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've recently encountered a Ganondorf that's giving me trouble.
any special tips, or just get better?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I've recently encountered a Ganondorf that's giving me trouble.
any special tips, or just get better?
Run up to him and short hop u air. He'll jump back almost every time to try for a f air, if you just run up and u air, you'll hit him the majority of the time. That starts your combo and then you should be able to take it from there.

otg

Smash Master
Mexican, what are your thoughts on DK vs. Peach? I got to play a very good peach the other day and it seems like DK beats up on her something awful. Granted it might've just been lack of exp. vs. Dk on his side. He outranges her by a lot, and it seems hard for her to edgeguard DK, especially if you can tech her Dsmash. Thoughts?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'm remember Cort saying the matchup is pretty solid for DK after playing Bum.

Since Vanz prolly has the most Peach vs Bum experience (since he lives right next to Bum), I guess whatever he says should be taken into account:
you're right >_<' sorry about that, I'll edit the title

Red. - Peach can be a severe pain to DK because so many of her moves out prioritize him and set him up to be combo'd. But DK can space himself against peach incredibly well.

as far as approaching.. you should only do it when you have a fully charged punch, otherwise, you should use the time you have away from her to charge it.

once you have the punch charged, space yourself w/ Bairs just to keep her on the defensive. IMO, it's best to keep Peach defensive because anyone of her approaches can lead to combo's and massive damage on DK. if you can mindgame the peach, and catch her with charged punches, the match up is simple.

and that's why it's my favorite match up as DK
Also, watch VanZ vs Bum, shows how dumb the matchup can be. I think it's fairly even...ish.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'll leave it at that because i honestly don't know that matchup too well myself. I don't have that much experience there. Only thing i can recommend is exactly what was stated, space b airs a lot and giant punch giant punch giant punch. Also, one other piece of advice, if you're playing at yoshi's, dreamland, or battlefield, if you grab her, do a full jump, u throw, dj u air (landing on the top platform at this point), and then depending on peach's d i, you can either regrab, or add on some up airs or giant punch if you'd like....sooo...yes, DK can combo peach...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
What do you think about the DK part of phanna's match-up chart (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025)?

+ pure theoretically speaking, based on that chart, falco would be the most fitted secondary for a DK main, because he has a favorable match-up with DK's worst, agree?
After rereading the thread, its old, outdated, and has a bunch of people on there commenting about who can do what to DK and how DK fairs against others, when you can tell they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about... So that list means nothing to me

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
when does uair->double jump fair combo?
When does cargo uthrow->fair combo?
On what character? And that can depend on the DI of the person you're playing. I myself honestly don't know the percentages for that, i just go based off what looks good. lol.

At final d though against fox/falco....

0-around 35 damage.............. do chaingrabs/u throw, u air, regrab
35-99 damage..........................u throw u air combos
100-119 damage.....................short hop, u throw, f air
120-139 damage.....................Full jump u throw, dj u air
140 and up.................................U throw u air.

Thats what i go off of. All should lead into death on final d and most should lead to death on any stage. This is what I do. The f air at over 100 damage is one spot where I differ from Bum and pkmvodka. They'd probably say to go for the jump cancelled up smash...I use this occasionally..but I usually go with the f air. The f air is easier to hit and even if it doesn't ko them instantly, its a very easy edge hog/edgeguard

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
stages with low ceilings (yoshi's kinda, Green Greens definitely) are kinda lame for DK.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
DK survives a lot longer than just about everybody vertically. The only person that might survive longer vertically is Falcon, and DK is one of the few characters that is a real threat to KO vertically. And i think that small stages in general are bad for DK. Anywhere that he can't turn around to space b airs or get away to charge a giant punch.

On a random side note, i went to a tournament for the first time in forever yesterday and i should have some vids up of me playing soon. I didn't do so hot in the ones recorded. lol. There's a set of myself playing Mango. I 2 stocked him in an earlier set of friendlies, but then we played again later, and needless to say, he adjusted pretty well and came back and 2 stocked me. lol. He's too good. lol. DSF still has it too apparently. I beat his marth first round, and then he beat me using jiggs at mute city 2nd match, and then he beat me again at stadium in a pretty close match. I let myself get rested too many times and it costed me the match. lol. Vids should be up soon

otg

Smash Master
So I'm about to have a ton of videos to critique... I think vs. Samus/Marth/Falcon/maybe Fox or Falco? Don't remember, but I'll put them up when they are here. Hopefully I can get some good advice from you Mexican:

Dk v. Samus 1
Dk v. Samus 2
Dk v. Samu 3

Yeah, I won the set but it was close. It's either a really close match or I'm ****** with is nice, but what are somethings I could look out for and I should know about vs. Samus? I know for example, that DK's Bair when it first comes out beats out smash-missiles and potentially samus' charge shot, and also if you space yourself out right all of your moves out prioritize her but I was having a hard time taking advantage of that here.

Advice/corrections/etc?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
So I'm about to have a ton of videos to critique... I think vs. Samus/Marth/Falcon/maybe Fox or Falco? Don't remember, but I'll put them up when they are here. Hopefully I can get some good advice from you Mexican:

Dk v. Samus 1
Dk v. Samus 2
Dk v. Samu 3

Yeah, I won the set but it was close. It's either a really close match or I'm ****** with is nice, but what are somethings I could look out for and I should know about vs. Samus? I know for example, that DK's Bair when it first comes out beats out smash-missiles and potentially samus' charge shot, and also if you space yourself out right all of your moves out prioritize her but I was having a hard time taking advantage of that here.

Advice/corrections/etc?
Match 1 advice that I see...Ok, first thing, when you u throw samus, you're not likely going to land a b air, just stick with u air. You don't stand to gain much with a b air anyways. I'd rather have samus above me than beside me, she can't shoot you with missiles from above you. When you b air samus, don't go for a grab, you can't do a whole lot to samus off of a grab. You have the right idea when it comes to just about every other character, but i'd suggest following up with another b air, or a giant punch if you have it charged. If you time it right, you can b air samus into a giant punch. And this one isn't advice, but don't you just hate the forward b? I ledge tech all the time and accidentally forward b...i die that way a lot. lol. Other than that, it looks like you got it down. Samus is a pretty easy match, and the samus you played looked like he wasn't that good and had some pretty bad DI (samus shouldn't be getting hit with a u throw u air at that high of damage).

Match 2, not much to say..just don't get lured into approaching or fighting him with your face towards him. Run away and jump back at him with a b air. Try not to be forced into using the f air too much, it's easily *****. lol. I do it a lot too though, ITS JUST SO TEMPTING! lol

Match 3, 3:34...wtf was that? I've never seen that before...anyways, again, this samus has bad DI, and again, try not to get lured into the front faced game. Be patient and turn yourself around. Another piece of advice, whoever uploaded the video, tell them to update the title and tags to include "DK" and "samus"...otherwise nobody is going to just search for your two tags...thats why it only has like 6 views..

Other than that, not bad. I'll be uploading some vids soon hopefully of me vs DarkMike's samus (the only samus that's ever beaten me), and you might be able to pick up a few things

otg

Smash Master
Nice thanks for the advice. Yeah he's actually a Fox main, he was just using Samus for the **** of it. I agree that he should make the videos better like: OTG (DK) vs. SH3L (Samus), but he's freaking lazy or something.

What kind of spacing do you need to have to connect Bair to giant punch? Is it a weak Bair or a strong one?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Nice thanks for the advice. Yeah he's actually a Fox main, he was just using Samus for the **** of it. I agree that he should make the videos better like: OTG (DK) vs. SH3L (Samus), but he's freaking lazy or something.

What kind of spacing do you need to have to connect Bair to giant punch? Is it a weak Bair or a strong one?
Samus standing, you b air just before you hit the ground at the last possible moment, l cancel, and run, short hop or jump (depending on their DI), and giant punch. The length of the giant punch is what makes it possible. It's kinda difficult and you'll rarely get that chance since most samus player just CC, but it IS possible

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I was watching your matches against KFC and... for some reason, you don't seem to finish chaingrabs with the fair... why not? Is it not guaranteed? You seem to go for the nair a lot more... is there something I'm missing?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I was watching your matches against KFC and... for some reason, you don't seem to finish chaingrabs with the fair... why not? Is it not guaranteed? You seem to go for the nair a lot more... is there something I'm missing?
Depending on how they DI, the n air can lead into another hit. I probably should've used the f air in those instances. I resort to n air when i'm feeling lucky, or when i hesitate on the f air. If i hesitate on the f air, i just do the n air because it doesn't take 32 years to come out like the f air does. The f air is guaranteed if you do it immediately, but if you hesitate, they'll get out of it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mexican should use MetaKnight, I mean cmon DK is good but MK is amazing.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Hey, I was messing around with the fair again and I seemed to be able to hit Link with it from a shorthop/fulljump uthrow to double jump fair... it was a computer but... is that really a combo?

Top Bottom