• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official APEX 2012 Results Thread! ALL RESULTS UP. International takes it all!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
EVERYWHERE IS A FLORIDA SOCIAL THREAD!

Even threads that specifically say "THis is not a FL social thread" become FL social threads.

Sharky

Smash Master
o
All Brawl is a Brawl side event that's basically played like Random WiFi. It goes like this:

*All Stages are set to on, Stage Selection is Random.
*All Items are set to on and Medium
*All Players must select Random as their character
*2 stocks
*3 minute timer
*Sudden Death is PLAYED OUT, with a LGL of 3. If you grab the ledge more than 3 times in a Sudden Death, you must either kill yourself (more than 2 people in the Sudden Death) or give the point to the other player.
*First to win 2 games escapes the pool. Top 2 make it out. Grand Finals is first to 3.

In short, lulzy FFA madness with random stuff and money on the line.

Speaking of which, I won that, so International did not take it all! USA baby.
SAVE US, DELTACOD!!!

Cook

Smash Master
Ok, wow. Lol. Gotta say.

People saying Hbox is ****ing gay. Omg, Armada learned an ENTIRELY NEW CHARACTER for the SOLE PURPOSE of TIMING HBOX OUT. Like seriously, wtf. Get a new gd hero. Hbox had to play the way he did to have a chance and he took a set off Armada. ******* Mike Haggar piece of ****: Hbox took a set off Armada, OMG HBOX WILL NEVER WIN, OMG IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. Last couple times he got bodied, this time he took a set off, next time, ya boi Armada gonna lose, OH YEAH GOIN' IN, BOIIIIIII! I don't even play Melee, but that Haggar guy is a pos.

Also, if I'd been there, I'D HAVE CHEERED FOR YOU AGAINST OCEAN, M2K!!!
You play hella gay when you get scared, and you get ***** because of it, but I have American pride. Plus I feel bad that everyone cheers against you.

Also, Japan=worlds ahead of us is ********. Otori won his FIRST TOURNAMENT here. Ever heard of being in the zone??? Yeah, they did work. Doesn't mean they're on a whole new level. Ally almost ended that ****, Nairo almost ended that ****. Americans can def do it, it just didn't happen this time. Nairo for real has got to work on his execution, imo. But like seriously, is Nairo who you think of as number one American? Yeah, no. Point in favor of folks just being on (no offense to Nairo, he ****ing got it in; especially against Nietono, omg some of those edgeguards).

Drunk post, yeah boi!

Heartstring

Smash Legend

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ok, wow. Lol. Gotta say.

People saying Hbox is ****ing gay. Omg, Armada learned an ENTIRELY NEW CHARACTER for the SOLE PURPOSE of TIMING HBOX OUT. Like seriously, wtf. Get a new gd hero. Hbox had to play the way he did to have a chance and he took a set off Armada. ******* Mike Haggar piece of ****: Hbox took a set off Armada, OMG HBOX WILL NEVER WIN, OMG IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. Last couple times he got bodied, this time he took a set off, next time, ya boi Armada gonna lose, OH YEAH GOIN' IN, BOIIIIIII! I don't even play Melee, but that Haggar guy is a pos.

Also, if I'd been there, I'D HAVE CHEERED FOR YOU AGAINST OCEAN, M2K!!!
You play hella gay when you get scared, and you get ***** because of it, but I have American pride. Plus I feel bad that everyone cheers against you.

Also, Japan=worlds ahead of us is ********. Otori won his FIRST TOURNAMENT here. Ever heard of being in the zone??? Yeah, they did work. Doesn't mean they're on a whole new level. Ally almost ended that ****, Nairo almost ended that ****. Americans can def do it, it just didn't happen this time. Nairo for real has got to work on his execution, imo. But like seriously, is Nairo who you think of as number one American? Yeah, no. Point in favor of folks just being on (no offense to Nairo, he ****ing got it in; especially against Nietono, omg some of those edgeguards).

Drunk post, yeah boi!
I totally agree with you, outside of cheering for M2K. I tend to cheer for my friends or the underdog, and he isn't either of those things.

Armada

Smash Lord
Cook: I don't know way everyone say I picked Y link cause I wanted to time Hbox out every single game. I lost 2 GFs against Puff as Peach (one against Hbox). Then I wanted a better char against Puff and that char would also be one he did not had much experience against.

Tonberry played Y link in a few friendlis against me in back 07 and I started to think if Y link would work against puff too. After thinking about it I started to play with him to learn the MU. After playing with Android/Aniolas for a bit I tried against more puff players and asked if people could use her cause I needed more practice.

So I choosed him cause I saw potentical and why stick with Peach against Puff when I lost twice against Puff?

People should realize soon that I actually don't have as a goal to time him out I just care about win in those matches.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Play to win = If time must be run out, it will

Your game solely revolves around camping if you are winning. From the very beginning of the match you are either trying to bait out an approach or cutting off lanes for his approach making it more difficult for him. You are NOT initiating in the slightest. This is camping. If somebody didn't approach when they were winning, the match goes to time (What Hbox has done). You are playing to either time him out or to get him to approach in a really ****ty position because approaching as Puff against YL is a really ****ty position. So yes, you ARE playing to time him out, but foolish approaches don't allow that. You aren't running in with SHFFL nairs or trying to initiate combos, you throw boomerangs/bombs and only hit when people do really obvious approaches or you hit confirm a bomb throw or something into a dair. I respect that SUPER hard since I'm a Brawl player, but the thing that bugs me is that people cheer for you when you are the one initiating the camp-fest. HBox doesn't time out ANY OTHER PLAYER because he actually initiates. He doesn't rush in, but he will approach. You don't and he countered (or attempts to counter at least) your playstyle by camping back. He gets hate because he is trying to develop a strategy when his normal one CLEARLY didn't work and yet you are thought of as a hero for beating his "gay" playstyle when you are the one who is forcing him to play like that with Puff in the first place.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Haters gonna' hate.

What's to debate? Anyone against his playstyle just salty because his methods aren't entertaining.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Theres a lot of hypocrisy in how people are reacting to the match, but I respect the hell out of both of them for doing what they need to do to win. Theres nothing wrong with how they are playing, people are just butthurt that every match cant be javi vs hax.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol brawl players saying that doesnt mean anything, of course we have the right mentality.
he's gotta hear it from...those other guys.

zmx

Smash Lord
Theres a lot of hypocrisy in how people are reacting to the match, but I respect the hell out of both of them for doing what they need to do to win. Theres nothing wrong with how they are playing, people are just butthurt that every match cant be javi vs hax.
I remember Melee players used to bash Brawl for being too campy. Not only this but they would insist that camping in Melee is non-existent because it is too fast paced and anybody foolish enough to try it would get punished horribly.

Well as it turns out, in certain situations it is completely ideal to be campy in melee. And these certain situations include examples of top level play for some MUs. So it is not a brawl specific thing. It exists in likely all fighting games to a certain extent.

It is ironic because there brawl GFs was much more fast paced.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol brawl players saying that doesnt mean anything, of course we have the right mentality.
he's gotta hear it from...those other guys.
I mean... you and me are 06' and omni is 04' if anything people should be listening to us MORE because weve been playing melee far longer than most people in the scene right now.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only thing I wondered about Grand Finals was how the hell Armada could keep that kind of consistency up for so long. That kind of play looks mad stressful, and he had to do it for 8 games straight.

Armada

Smash Lord
Esam: Yeah you have a lot of valid points but.

1: Am I camping against Hbox? Yes
2: Is aggresive style against Puff the best way as Y link? No
3: Are both of us even more deffensive once we have a lead? Yes

Now the question is: Did I picked Y link cause I wanna time him out? NO!
I don't play him cause I wanna time him out and that is what I try to explain and something most people have missunderstood. Yes I play him and that's a choose but when I decided to switch from Peach I was not thinking "how can I most easliy time out Hbox" and that is what many people seems to think. I choosed him cause I wanted something special something he would not count on. I had no "time out" in my mind when I decided to play him

Also a thing to consider is: Do I time out anyone else? NO!
The situation between me and Hbox is kinda special but like you say about Hbox I don't think Im the only one to blaim either. At Apex 2010 I had 150 bairs per match and once I change style and he dosen't Im the only one to blaim.

The situation are like this because
1: I hate Jiggs and becasue of that I switch from my main to Y link
2: Hbox refuse to play something else.

And me forceing Hbox to play like that is true but he also force me to play Y link since Peach have pretty much nothing to anwser with against bairs then stich (not winning strategy :p)

"yet you are thought of as a hero for beating his "gay" playstyle"
Yeah at Pound5 I would agree for sure. At Genesis2 I had a small advantage in people cheering for me but most people were pissed of and at Apex most people even LEFT the room. I don't know what other "heroes" people hate this much :p

This time it actually sounded like more people were cheering for Hbox (oikay it was in USA but still).

sight: Patient is the key =)

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Armada, great post, too bad you're a racist and called me the N word and spit at me when I tried to shake your hand in congrats.

:017:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The only reason people were cheering for Hbox is because FL was right next to the stage and they were the only ones you heard. In the crowd overall, more people cheered for you. On the boards afterwards people say "Oh Hbox is gay for playing like that I'm glad he ****in lost" when it is the character you chose that made him play like that. Again, I respect you A LOT more than most melee players for doing what you do. I know you don't go into the match going "I'm going to time him out no question" but the outcome is the outcome. Brawl players don't go into a match going "I'm going to time him out" either, yet people ***** about using time as a legitimate strategy.

Summary: HBOX PICK UP A YOUNG LINK COUNTER OR START PLANKING ******

ARMADA DA BESS

Armada

Smash Lord
"when it is the character you chose that made him play like that"
Yeah and he choosed Jiggs and that make me play Y link. I know he always play puff and Im not always playing Y link but I think it's still something important to remember.

Yeah the crowd part make sence cause I now remember when the Florida crew was sitting close to the tv.

And I respect you a lot too. Place 4th is really good (and you play Pika even if I know you play ICs too). You also seems to be great guy =)

Top Bottom