• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THO

Smash Apprentice
Elaborating on skill: Players all have different skills some have technical skills, others have nerve skills, some have strategy skills, others have more subtle divisions of skills such as really good placement or spacing skills or really good skills at not getting hit by killing moves or even just ridiculous DI skills.

As Karn puts it PR's are just for Tourney results and hence are only used to seed for tournaments. They imply nothing else regardless of the obvious correlations some draw between them and this convoluted idea of being 'good.'

On a side note, its real funny I'm on PR's. Lol. ****. Ha. ****. Peace Bros.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
How could we possibly incorporate characters/MUs into seeding? Adding in those sorts of things would bring in needless arguments that get into all kinds of silly subjectivity(who agrees on matchups/player vs player that often? pick a thread lol) that would delay tournaments forever and skew seeding.
When did I suggest that you should incorporate chars/MUs into seeding. I didn't...... I was just asking for the panel's opinion on the hypothetical situation i just mentioned but I didn't get it. I wasn't even criticizing. :mad:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Dr Neo: I really think we're handling this civilly haha. I could've used you for that last time we tried to talk about them though LOL. XD
Thanks for the support bruh. <3

@THO: It's the best system we got, and it'll do by golly.

@Dorsey: Uhhhhh, yeah, MMs would be for that lol. XD

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
Maybe you're just wording it wrongly, but I don't get this. Aren't tournaments, the only time when money is on the line and people are forced to play seriously/under pressure, the only times that should matter when determining who is good? I figured the only complaint we had was that people didn't like the way the results of tournaments were interpreted, but no one has ever been fully satisfied by such methods.

I would figure someone that is good would place well, and someone that is bad to place badly. I don't understand why that's wrong.
Money doesnt affect my playing ability, remember?
I'm not mature enough to understand what losing money does to me in the future. If there were more people like me, this view of the PR rankings would be next to obsolete.

try again.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
play for pride. even in tournament. or just pretend that its just a friendly.

TJs plan for success.

better yet, just troll yourself into thinking that it actually isn't tournament. then just have your opponent report the results. you won't even realize theres a tourney going on; its just a really big smashfest people just happened to come to.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
o my jeebus,

i am not saying that the pr's are wrong or bad or anything like that

and cam, i am not mad and i am not making pr's personal toward me

ALL i am saying is that they lack practicality

why? because if i want recent tourney results, i can look up recent tourney results

did i say u should stop? no, because apparently some people think they actually do reflect skill level and they want to show the world that they have better skill level than reflected

FINE. WITH. ME.

but the only relevance to me is that they 1-dont and 2-shouldnt have an effect on me because i BELIEVE that the pr's are inacc at reflecting skill

this is ALL i have been trying to say this WHOLE time. jeeeebbbussssssssssss

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
your posts were the only thing keeping me going through those five pages! you guys argued about the same crap over...and over.
my points have just been misinterpreted over and over

i hope my last post cleared up anything that might make that argument last for 5 more pages

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
I can't wait til the 23rd, there's just something about melee that is more thrilling, it makes me sad that I didn't get more involved when the melee scene was more active.

DJRome

Smash Hero
theo, the point is that you think the prs don't reflect skill, which to me suggests you have a naive notion of how the world works. no one cares about your potential or whatnot. they look at results. you can tell your interviewer about how smart you are, but they're judging you on your awards, accomplishments, and your gpa. they'll evaluate your responses on the spot. so if you're nervous, ill-prepared, or whatever, then you lacked the necessary skills to obtain the job and be known as good at whatever.

the bottom line is that your "closet" skills don't matter and basically no johns

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
theo, the point is that you think the prs don't reflect skill, which to me suggests you have a naive notion of how the world works. no one cares about your potential or whatnot. they look at results. you can tell your interviewer about how smart you are, but they're judging you on your awards, accomplishments, and your gpa. they'll evaluate your responses on the spot. so if you're nervous, ill-prepared, or whatever, then you lacked the necessary skills to obtain the job and be known as good at whatever.

the bottom line is that your "closet" skills don't matter and basically no johns
u have stated yourself that the current way the pr's are drafted could come closer to being more accurate, as have others

i am simply stating that they are inaccurate

we agree

DJRome

Smash Hero
but we agree for different reasons. which is why im pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. by beef is with how the data is used

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
play for pride. even in tournament. or just pretend that its just a friendly.

TJs plan for success.

better yet, just troll yourself into thinking that it actually isn't tournament. then just have your opponent report the results. you won't even realize theres a tourney going on; its just a really big smashfest people just happened to come to.
the word "pride" has always been a negative word for me. Kinda like conceit, presumptious, smug. Being competitive, like anything else which people consider "upgrades" always comes with a price. You lose some of your ideals in place of something else, something monstrous. something BEAST.

I suck at trolling. I'm the type of guy who will switch characters to avoid salt. *btw, that's why I can't pick a main. I don't like salt.*

One day I'll get out of this depression and find the fire within me. Until then, you'll have to bear with me.

*cries*

edit: backing up my statment about being competitive:
I realize that I could have just gotten one stock off of Gofg and then proceeded to FC avoiding his ICs until time ran out. That would have taken up 16 minutes, but it would be a sure win. Way too gay to be allowed
That's the kinda **** you do for pride, and I wasnt about to let that be Gofg's first impression of me.

But instead, I decided to tough it out and try to beat him. Mad close, and I lost, but it was satisfying, and it got me something called "honor"

GofG

Smash Champion
hi mitsu

come to the next gamefrog lockin at northgate

its closer to where you live than TTC was and all we do is play smash for like 16 hours

GofG

Smash Champion
the word "pride" has always been a negative word for me. Kinda like conceit, presumptious, smug. Being competitive, like anything else which people consider "upgrades" always comes with a price. You lose some of your ideals in place of something else, something monstrous. something BEAST.

I suck at trolling. I'm the type of guy who will switch characters to avoid salt. *btw, that's why I can't pick a main. I don't like salt.*

One day I'll get out of this depression and find the fire within me. Until then, you'll have to bear with me.

*cries*

edit: backing up my statment about being competitive:
I realize that I could have just gotten one stock off of Gofg and then proceeded to FC avoiding his ICs until time ran out. That would have taken up 16 minutes, but it would be a sure win. Way too gay to be allowed
That's the kinda **** you do for pride, and I wasnt about to let that be Gofg's first impression of me.

But instead, I decided to tough it out and try to beat him. Mad close, and I lost, but it was satisfying, and it got me something called "honor"
i have a signed copy of Play to Win by david sirlin

the best first impression you could have given me would be one where you took 16 minutes to beat me, as opposed to 7 minutes to lose to me.

edit: i play ****ing ice climbers lol, honor is worthless to me

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
but we agree for different reasons. which is why im pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. by beef is with how the data is used
of course tournament rankings must be used.

ALL I HAVE BEEN DOING is pointing out that it is flawed

that's it

and a symptom of "flawness" is massive shiftiness

really, u have to believe me, THIS is all ive been saying

we agree for the same reasons, u have just provided more in depth discussion

...no one understands me. i might have to turn emo like everyone else now

edit: did sirlin write anything up in defense of tournament rulesets?

GofG

Smash Champion

null55

Smash Master
Of course. Trying to make the local events but rides are scarce. I will be at the summer events, however I'd like to play you sometime soon. Don't worry CJ I gotchu
aiiiight dude. sounds good. i'm lookin forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom