• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
i mean elves aren't the only fantasy creature with pointy ears but ok
But its pretty clear that Hylians are somewhat based on them!
Than again Peter pan has Pointy Ears eventho hes Human!
But Considering That Link design shifted Away from that in BOTW That runs Counter to my point!
Also I wont continue this Disscusion!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But its pretty clear that Hylians are somewhat based on them!
Than again Peter pan has Pointy Ears eventho hes Human!
But Considering That Link design shifted Away from that in BOTW That runs Counter to my point!
Also I wont continue this Disscusion!
relax man I was just making a joke about how eleves typical have much longer hair

though hylians are confirmed humans

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something that's grown out of my previous thoughts on the company's use of the DK franchise is that I think there's more of a complexity in the relationship between Nintendo and its fans that gets lost in the emotional charged online sphere that often charges the former to be clueless/out of touch and the latter toxic or entitled. Truth be told, I believe the root of many of the controversies is a disconnect between the company's philosophy on games vs that of the fans, and one where neither side is entirely wrong.

How active an IP should be is a major example of this; Nintendo has often demonstrated a willingness to keep ones in hibernation until they deem the next entry worthy of being developed, often with a new concept or core idea that can make it stand out. There is a clear practical logic to this; avoiding excess burnout at the developer end and the sort of franchise fatigue that's hurt so many formerly popular series. The NSMB titles could even be argued as an exception that proves the rule, as getting four of those games in six years led to diminishing returns with the latter two entries and arguably created a backlash against 2D platformers for a while that potentially hurt the interest in something like Tropical Freeze.

Nonetheless, from the player's perspective, this is often seen as not only disappointing given the love for the franchise they have, but also seen as a move that might end up hurting it because of the lack of momentum and spotlight. And when various other series are getting more frequent entries, over time the lack of sequels is not seen as an act of care, just disinterest by the company itself. While it's easy to say fans are merely impatient, without any definitive news about future entries (or in some cases not even having its content appear in spin-offs) unhappiness bordering on antipathy is practically an inevitability.

The same thing applies a bit with the experiments that started taking place in the GC era and then really took off circa 2006-2016. In a lot of ways, I think the intentions were good. Nintendo wanted to stand out again, and given the leaning on first party entries that became necessary in that time, making them fresh experiences had value as an idea. Long term, it's likely invigorated some internal development teams and helped birth new properties like Splatoon that have taken the world by storm. However, the lack of choice in how much novel input one wished to partake in (waggle being mandatory in DKC Returns to name an example), and some games feeling like they prioritized the gimmick over the core gameplay justifiably led to an eventual backlash.

Basically, while there are times Nintendo can needlessly stick to certain ideas because they're a somewhat stubbornly conservative company and many occasions where excess fan expectation can become actively harmful, I think more often than not both sides are coming from a decent place and simply disagree on what is most beneficial for certain series.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Blue Lions is the only righteous choice in the Fodlan Fire Emblem games. Deep in your heart you know it's true.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Persona 4 seems like it'd be right at home on the Wii. The main combat setting is a world inside the TV; the Wii Remote and Nunchuk seemed like the perfect battle controller for a game like this!

Think of how you select targets and make a decision in Persona 5, except it's in a game that released nearly a decade earlier; the Wii Remote would be for selecting targets, and the Nunchuk would be for the command menu.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Something that's grown out of my previous thoughts on the company's use of the DK franchise is that I think there's more of a complexity in the relationship between Nintendo and its fans that gets lost in the emotional charged online sphere that often charges the former to be clueless/out of touch and the latter toxic or entitled. Truth be told, I believe the root of many of the controversies is a disconnect between the company's philosophy on games vs that of the fans, and one where neither side is entirely wrong.

How active and IP should be is a major example of this; Nintendo has often demonstrated a willingness to keep ones in hibernation until they deem the next entry worthy of being developed, often with a new concept or core idea that can make it stand out. There is a clear practical logic to this; avoiding excess burnout at the developer end and the sort of franchise fatigue that's hurt so many formerly popular series. The NSMB titles could even be argued as an exception that proves the rule, as getting four of those games in six years led to diminishing returns with the latter two entries and arguably created a backlash against 2D platformers for a while that potentially hurt the interest in something like Tropical Freeze.

Nonetheless, from the player's perspective, this is often seen as not only disappointing given the love for the franchise they have, but also seen as a move that might end up hurting it because of the lack of momentum and spotlight. And when various other series are getting more frequent entries, over time the lack of sequels is not seen as an act of care, just disinterest by the company itself. While it's easy to say fans are merely impatient, without any definitive news about future entries (or in some cases not even having its content appear in spin-offs) unhappiness bordering on antipathy is practically an inevitability.

The same thing applies a bit with the experiments that started taking place in the GC era and then really took off circa 2006-2016. In a lot of ways, I think the intentions were good. Nintendo wanted to stand out again, and given the leaning on first party entries that became necessary in that time, making them fresh experiences had value as an idea. Long term, it's likely invigorated some internal development teams and helped birth new properties like Splatoon that have taken the world by storm. However, the lack of choice in how much novel input one wished to partake in (waggle being mandatory in DKC Returns to name an example), and some games feeling like they prioritized the gimmick over the core gameplay justifiably led to an eventual backlash.

Basically, while there are times Nintendo can needlessly stick to certain ideas because they're a somewhat stubbornly conservative company and many occasions where excess fan expectation can become actively harmful, I think more often than not both sides are coming from a decent place and simply disagree on what is most beneficial for certain series.
I do think that they should atleast rerelease older titles while series are in Hybernation!
But true i especially find it funny when people say Nintendo Hates its Customers that just seems Silly!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
you think ending racism in the golden deer isn't righteous?
Yes. But Dimitri tackles that too, and effectively already has begun these things with how he treats the people of Duscur.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think we dont need a New F Zero BUT We should get GX on Switch!
Same with (classic) Paper Mario lets get Thousand Year Door on Switch + Bugfables 2 and 3 when/ if they come out!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And that makes it unrighteous for the other to do it?
Because the route barely counts , as it's a rehash of Verdant Wind basically, but with the Golden Deers.

I still really like Claude though.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't get why, of all the cancelled games, EarthBound 64 is the one people are so interested in and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to research. Just comes off to me as an uglier and darker version of a released game that basically had the perfect level of dark for the story it wanted to tell - not to mention that the Mother franchise's history wouldn't really be changed by it in the slightest, the fandom probably but not the series as a whole considering it'd end with M3 either way. To me something like Swordquest Airworld; Twelve Tales Conker 64; or Sonic X-Treme is more interesting for that sort of butterfly effect "how would this series, its developer, or gaming as a whole have changed if this released?" theorising.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't get why, of all the cancelled games, EarthBound 64 is the one people are so interested in and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to research. Just comes off to me as an uglier and darker version of a released game that basically had the perfect level of dark for the story it wanted to tell - not to mention that the Mother franchise's history wouldn't really be changed by it in the slightest, the fandom probably but not the series as a whole considering it'd end with M3 either way. To me something like Swordquest Airworld; Twelve Tales Conker 64; or Sonic X-Treme is more interesting for that sort of butterfly effect "how would this series, its developer, or gaming as a whole have changed if this released?" theorising.
they are? how odd

AlRex

Smash Lord
I would be more into Fire Emblem if it were a (story/aesthetic) genre besides medieval-type fantasy. I like Advance Wars well enough. Maybe a sci-fi one in the vein of Star Wars, Star Trek, or even older space opera stuff, but still filtered through that anime aesthetic? Go stranger with it like Code Name: STEAM did? I dunno. This is basically asking for it to be fundamentally different as a series, I realize.

CastletonSnob

Smash Cadet
Reading a post saying that Nintendo drags down the rest of the gaming industry and are just as anti-consumer as Activision and Ubisoft.

Yeah, no. That person is full of ****. Even at their worst, Nintendo is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as Ubisoft or Activision. Having a lackluster online service isn't even in the same universe as having a work environment that fosters SEXUAL ABUSE, to the point of a female employee COMMITTING SUICIDE.

Nintendo's nowhere near as bad as the companies that use lootboxes and other microtransactions that SPECIFICALLY target neurodivergent people. **** off with your false equivalence bull****.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
One of my positive points for xenoblade 2 was the characters with the Scottish accents were for once not overblown Glaswegian in an oddly refreshing way. So imagine how disappointing it is to see xenoblade 3 go right for the same over used bad Scots impression.

I know I complain about this a lot and I seem to be the only one on this forum who cares but doesn’t change the fact that’s it really, really, really annoying.

Quillion

Smash Hero
One of my positive points for xenoblade 2 was the characters with the Scottish accents were for once not overblown Glaswegian in an oddly refreshing way. So imagine how disappointing it is to see xenoblade 3 go right for the same over used bad Scots impression.

I know I complain about this a lot and I seem to be the only one on this forum who cares but doesn’t change the fact that’s it really, really, really annoying.
It's possible that the Ardainian dub VAs were actual Scots while they saw no reason to have them in XC3. Must be a side effect of the Ardainians looking like normal humans given that Gormotti still have their Welsh accents (though some of the High Entia don't have RP in 3).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's possible that the Ardainian dub VAs were actual Scots while they saw no reason to have them in XC3. Must be a side effect of the Ardainians looking like normal humans given that Gormotti still have their Welsh accents (though some of the High Entia don't have RP in 3).
they were scots, i checked at the time. dunno about the ones in 3

BlustersBest

Smash Journeyman
2D Zeldas are more fun to me than 3D. Maybe not better, but I like playing them more.

Metroid: Samus Returns visually blends together so much for me, even more so than Dread, it feels exhausting to go through 30-odd similar rooms in every area. Aeon abilities in that game also don't feel great.

DKC3's gameplay is more inventive than the first game's, and it is on par with it in almost every way. I dare say it is the most underrated Nintendo platformer ever.

Fossil fighters and Picross 3D need to come back. especially Picross 3D, love that game so much.

I like DK64 more than Banjo-Tooie. Tooie is a chore to play for me, though I still like it quite a bit.

Quillion

Smash Hero
2D Zeldas are more fun to me than 3D. Maybe not better, but I like playing them more.
2D Zelda has historically been less linear than 3D Zelda, plus 2D Zelda takes advantage of mazelike design and complex puzzle design that really can't be done in 3D, so I see where you're coming from.
----
I really hope Ganondorf doesn't use any kind of sword in the BotW sequel. I'm tired of Ganon always using some kind of sword. Preferably he wouldn't use any kind of bladed melee weapon.

Top Bottom