• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Melee is constantly changing when new things are discovered, so i have one question: what character do you think has the most potential to become top tier?

For instance, I think mastering pikachu's up-b for offensive purposes could have some devastating results.

What do you guys think?

voorhese

Smash Master
i was gonna say that pika has a lot of potential, kind of as a joke, but really i dont think he can be top tier, but i see him being at the top of mid, or bottom of high sometime, he is like the low tier fox so yah

N64

Smash Champion
Pika's good where he's at. Honestly, he's a bag of tricks, not a solid character outside of lowtier.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
pikachu was not exactly the point of this, but okay, we're getting somewhere...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i dont get what the first post was supposed to mean, how is pikas b-up gonna be used as a offensive purpose?
unless you're just talking about situational b-up gimps.

but to addres the question, i'd say doc has the potential.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
i dont get what the first post was supposed to mean, how is pikas b-up gonna be used as a offensive purpose?
unless you're just talking about situational b-up gimps.

but to addres the question, i'd say doc has the potential.
mostly to just get the convo started.... :ohwell:

But yeah, i'd agree that doc has a good amount of potential. pill hopping anyone?

Falco Fox Jiggs Sheik Marth Peach CF/ICs Doc Ganon imo
M2K has spoken. :bee:

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
M2K has spoken.
And poorly, at that.

Despite as much as people love to cling to every typed letter; a list that... inane seems like nothing more than butthurt idolatry.

...imho.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well, a tier list is supposed to be a reflection of the current tournament scene, right?

I'm surprised he doesnt have Falco, Jiggs, Fox

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Jason haaaates Falco. He never told me why though...

I personally think it's Fox, Marth/Jiggs, Falco, /top tier | Sheik, Peach/Falcon, Ganon, ICs /high tier

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
I think falco has too much trouble against peach to be top, maybe if there was no peaches he would be top? I like m2k list besides that.

keeper

Smash Champion
I would say I agree with M2K, but then I'd get a lot of hate for being a kiss-up.

Anyway, the only thing I don't agree with from his quick little list is the placeme-Wait, I agree with the placement of Falcon. I do think that the ICs should be used more/used better (if possible) than they are. I'd like to see a consistent IC player get first a lot that isn't Chu Dat (Wobbles wobbling doesn't count imo >_>). Fly Amanita is good, but I don't know that he places top 3 in his region consistently.

The only real change I'd make is to move Marth to the third spot. He's too good.

Note: I hate Falco.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I hate Falco just as much as the next person who doesn't main Falco, but Falco seems like he has a few flaws too many to be the best character in the game, not the least of which is his recovery.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi of course!

lol but seriously, I could see him giving top tier a hard time for a while. With his DJC counters, awesome edgeguarding, Surprisingly great aerial movement and fluid comboes on fast fallers.
Primarily the whole DJC counter thing xD
I really do wanna see someone master yoshi like that though, and see how long itd take top tiers to adjust to the lil guy.

Lovage

Smash Hero
m2k drastically changes his mind every 4 months and says "no, this time i'm serious!!" so take his rankings with a grain of salt

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Once Other Peaches Catch Armada Peach is gonna be Top. IMO Jiggs should be at the top now. There is no reason to keep her at High Just because she's SOOOOOOOO Broken. IC's....They are gay IMO. I hate them to death. Really why is there 2 of them....wtf! If Wobbles wasn't banned I think IC's would be Top though. No Disrespect to Chu though. He's Legit. He beats up good players without being gay so props to him. Everyone else.....gayness. I would say that Falcon should move up but Overall there are only 3 or 4 Falcons in the world that have Top level success....so I'd say he's not ready yet. However by 2011...when Everyone who plays him is as good as SS and Darkrain...who knows. Same goes for Gannon. I think Melee will finally be Finished when you see. Yoshi, Roy, Kirby, Ness, or Pichu in Grand finals of a Tourney like Genesis.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
No man everyones gay to the ice climbers, I bet you could ask every ice climber play and ask if you could would you 1. wobbles or chain throw them to death or 2. de-synce combo. De-synces are hard and no one will get you a chance because it takes maybe 30 or 40 frames to get going.

Pichu is is better than most people give him, he has a better grab game than pikachu, with more grab set-ups that work better. Pichu has an insane amount of mindgame tools even more than pikachu, his up-B, side-B is scary, slow,taunts, and how 90% of everyone sees him. And yes I know about his flaws maybe one day he can reach low tier and be semi respected, I would be surprized if he ever reached mid tier or if he passed pikachu because mindgames don't count in the list. rememeber pichu always taunts to the west.

Lovage

Smash Hero
the regular down throw chaingrab with ice climbers is fairly easy to escape if u smash di away and buffer a roll, wobbles is banned at a lot of tournaments, edge chaingrabs only work a few times on the majority of the cast (inescapable by bowser and dk i think)

pichu is a terrible character with no representation, sorry INSANE CARZY GUY

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
the regular down throw chaingrab with ice climbers is fairly easy to escape if u smash di away and buffer a roll, wobbles is banned at a lot of tournaments, edge chaingrabs only work a few times on the majority of the cast (inescapable by bowser and dk i think)

pichu is a terrible character with no representation, sorry INSANE CARZY GUY
Your right. Never mind me. I got 4 stocked by a random Player that new Mastered it like 2 years ago and never got over it. Never mind my Butthurt rage. What's the deal with you btw Love? 1 Minute you where an okay Fox that was good but never really got off...Next thing I know I see you playing in a Tourney in CA I forget where and you where SNAPPING! I was like wtf! That Fox is ****ing great! Darrel got his revenge.....but still your the business.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I read Lovage's post before INSANE CARZY GUY's, and I thought Lovage was calling him insane and crazy for suggesting Pichu should move up.

Don't be dissin' Falco, he's so fuken ****, but his recovery is buns.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, I think the ICs are in about the right place on the tier list and have been for a while. I do want to say that ledge CGs are a lot better than you make them sound, though. It's not too hard to KO or do a ton of damage with them; the only problem is that they're very situational.

Lovage

Smash Hero
that's true, and at the same time, fly you're the only person i've ever seen use them in person haha

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I am shocked I don't see more IC's players anymore? IRL or on video's? It use to be the same with Peach until recent years. The Characters getting the most attention still seem to be Fox and Falco ATM, More Falco's then Fox's I'd say. Everyone once in on the Shine party(Myself included). It seems to me like when people join smash they look at who the best players are using. That seems to be what shapes the Competitive scene as time goes by. However The distraction of brawl has caused the rise of players like AXE and Iori. Players that show what Overlooked characters can do. Alot of Gannon's have been popping up also. There were like 300 of them during Genesis Crews....wtf?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I'm making a Falco combo video and calling it Shinegasm. <3

Everybody's pole-jockin' the shine.... but not Fox's.... Poor Fox... Needs more Fox mains IMO.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm making a Falco combo video and calling it Shinegasm. <3

Everybody's pole-jockin' the shine.... but not Fox's.... Poor Fox... Needs more Fox mains IMO.
I am making fox my main. It Started for me as a way of Getting better with Falco. I heard that learning to play fox helps your Falco game....how Idk but I'm doing it. I actually may just Stay fox. I'm having more success. I don't know why more people aren't playing fox nowadays? Could it be because the best player in the world Started playing Falco....?

Spife

Smash Master
gais wat bout link??? hes sooooo good! i beet all mai frends w/ link n somtimes they team agnst me w/ lvl 9s n im liek 'lolo w/e' n i raep them

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I am making fox my main. It Started for me as a way of Getting better with Falco. I heard that learning to play fox helps your Falco game....how Idk but I'm doing it. I actually may just Stay fox. I'm having more success. I don't know why more people aren't playing fox nowadays? Could it be because the best player in the world Started playing Falco....?
I know I picked up Falco because I felt most confident with him, my other characters I lack faith in... even my Peach. ._. I play Fox a lot like Falco, for some reason. It shouldn't work, but it kinda does for some reason.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Jiggly, HTFD.

Pika and Link will most likely ascend to mid.

Ness and M2 can go Up to Low.

Mario can move up a spot or 2 or tie with DK.

Stev

Smash Ace
Why does everyone keep saying characters need to move up tier levels. Do you honestly believe there is no divide between certain characters? It's like everyone's saying most the cast should be high/top tier. No one mentions about moving any of the characters down a tier level (not that I think that should happen)

Why does everyone keep saying characters need to move up tier levels. Do you honestly believe there is no divide between certain characters? It's like everyone's saying most the cast should be high/top tier. No one mentions about moving any of the characters down a tier level (not that I think that should happen)
People just like to look at the successful stuff.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
actually, some people talk about Cap or Samus going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom