• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Wow, i just sugested this to be called "online tier list" because most of the guys discussing tiers and stuff are mainly bassed on thier experience playing "online SSB", not because is fake smash or whatever, sad face (someone even said fox is bad online, so whats the deal?).

on topic, MATTS!! Kirby should have his own tier.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Wow, i just sugested this to be called "online tier list" because most of the guys discussing tiers and stuff are mainly bassed on thier experience playing "online SSB", not because is fake smash or whatever, sad face (someone even said fox is bad online, so whats the deal?).

on topic, MATTS!! Kirby should have his own tier.
ladies and gentlemen, here is the evidence of people taking a suggestion and trying to turn it into a war.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's easy to explain.

There we go
I don't see how this in any way replied to any of the questions I asked. In case that first post wasn't clear, I'll try rephrasing. To those declaring specifically this tier list to be "online-only" or not applicable to console smash...why do you think this way?

lag spikes are not that cool and even if p2p gets rid of a lot of it, teams matches are bound to have at least slight problems which sucks because teams is the only part I enjoy playing online.
When was the last time you played teams on console? People act like playing on the N64 is flawless, but playing teams on Saffron or even Hyrule can create considerable amounts of lag.

And lag spikes online hurt fox a LOT. In my opinion, Falcon is better than Fox online because Fox needs that little bit more precision and a tiny lag spike can ruin things
This goes back to the first thing I was saying. If this is true, and if this new tier list is only for online, why has Fox moved up while Falcon went down?

Now, to take a break from all this serious business...here is something we can all agree about.

D

Deleted member

thats exactly why i like teams online because there is no fps lag like in real life

but the lag spikes...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
shouldn't Isai be God tier?

aka

(0) Isai
(1) pikachu?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
TANK64 said:
Keyboard users!
Those fake disgusting repulsive degenerate inbred smashers!
This is where Nixxon comes in and falcon punches me!
(It's a joke)
Better DI and easier mobility VS precision stuff, you decide xP

s2j said:
thats exactly why i like teams online because there is no fps lag like in real life

but the lag spikes...
I would blame players for the lag spikes and not blame online smash.
I've played plenty of times team matches with no lag spikes, all you need is 4 players with fast PC and fast connection (no wireless) and obviously a good pc setup and clean of spyware and other crªp than may make it go slower eventually

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Stuff like lagspikes only effect how a player will perform at a given moment, it doesn't completely change how the game is played.
Though, if you played/experimented with console, then try online right after, lag does get pretty annoying.

D

Deleted member

Better DI and easier mobility VS precision stuff, you decide xP

I would blame players for the lag spikes and not blame online smash.
I've played plenty of times team matches with no lag spikes, all you need is 4 players with fast PC and fast connection (no wireless) and obviously a good pc setup and clean of spyware and other crªp than may make it go slower eventually

maybe european servers don't suck **** like west coast servers do :(

RIP fragbox

NixxxoN

Smash Master
maybe european servers don't suck **** like west coast servers do :(

RIP fragbox
I forgot... Also you need a server with EmulinkerSF system or EMX1.0 like Near's server, to run with LAN connection smoothly

I've taken a look at west coast server, and IGamingLeague Public Server has ESF5.89 has it so it should be fine

D

Deleted member

Igaming gives californians 70 ping

so our only option is outpost on excellent

and its terrible

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
For all the "online is fake" people out there I encourage you to take the SheerMadness challenge. Play me online then come play me on console and see if our matches are any different at all because nobody has proven to me yet that playing on console radically changes skill levels, results, gameplay etc etc.
What if we use keyboard online... and never short-hop? (i.e. don't have a c-button set)?

The only reason I *almost* only use puff online is because I can't short-hop, and Puff is probably the only character that does not require short-hop to be used efficiently (try playing no short-hop fox...). And doing double jump cancels with only the 'up' key is really annoying...

The difference between online and console for me is online I use only puff competitively and don't short-hop, while offline I use everyone and have more freedom of movement.

If I were to take your challenge, I'd do much better on console than online... but that's because of other factors that are not online-delay related, so the purpose of your post would still stand (i.e. if I were to use a controller online, the results would be no different (or negligible difference) to console play).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Igaming gives californians 70 ping

so our only option is outpost on excellent

and its terrible
IGaming doesnt look so bad then. 70 ping on LAN is 5 frames. 50-65 is 4 frames

Or you could do like I did on the main euro server, try to contact the owner of your nearest server and tell him to change the server software from 0.86 to ESF5.89 or higher. The outdated software is what makes it go slow

This actually should be done with all kaillera servers but oh well

DMoogle

A$
What if we use keyboard online... and never short-hop? (i.e. don't have a c-button set)?

The only reason I *almost* only use puff online is because I can't short-hop, and Puff is probably the only character that does not require short-hop to be used efficiently (try playing no short-hop fox...). And doing double jump cancels with only the 'up' key is really annoying...

The difference between online and console for me is online I use only puff competitively and don't short-hop, while offline I use everyone and have more freedom of movement.

If I were to take your challenge, I'd do much better on console than online... but that's because of other factors that are not online-delay related, so the purpose of your post would still stand (i.e. if I were to use a controller online, the results would be no different (or negligible difference) to console play).
And exactly why don't you have the c-button set?

Or a controller?

Mahie

Smash Lord

Why don't you just set up a Cbutton key next to your directions then...?

As for keyboards... Advantages are overall speed. Be it DI or techniques such as multishining / basic shine cancelling. Nevertheless, since it's difficult to pull off tilts / walks / SHuairs, etc, it makes the keyboard definitly NOT as good as the pad.
Really, the only good point you can never reach with a pad would be the DI.

And I use a keyboard, I know what I'm talking about.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
You guys know that Console has delay too? Sure, it's the minimum possible, but when you TAS a game, it has delay too. If you play with 2 frames of delay, that's virtually no lag. The only bad thing at this point is lag spikes. Like someone said, as long as you play with a reliable person, it's good smash. I completely agree, N64 smash is better in some ways, but what online has to offer is nothing to laugh about. Especially because it makes a community, though unfortunately, it's full of elitists who need to open their eyes, and maybe gain some knowledge. I do not really need to say more about why online has several advantages over console, nor vice versa.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I know I can set a C-button... but every setting has led to me failing (and when recovering... an instant loss of stock). I just can't use a c-button for some reason... and gave up trying to put it in.

As for a controller, I've been too lazy to get an adapter.

I'm not a random keyboard noob either... I got 5th in Near's tournament (without shorthop lol), so I think these settings are good enough for me for online games... and I'll use a controller in real console smash.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I know I can set a C-button... but every setting has led to me failing (and when recovering... an instant loss of stock). I just can't use a c-button for some reason... and gave up trying to put it in.

As for a controller, I've been too lazy to get an adapter.

I'm not a random keyboard noob either... I got 5th in Near's tournament (without shorthop lol), so I think these settings are good enough for me for online games... and I'll use a controller in real console smash.
You should try "wasd" for the directions and "e" for a cbutton.

That's my own config and it works just nice.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
igaming sucks ***
i've already contacted the owner of outpost and offered emulinkerSF a long time ago but no response OH WELL.

D

Deleted member

how do you host your own server?

I think caps lock is the best button for c-button if you use default setup

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I use spacebar on C-button, far better for short hops (but I play piano, so that might just be me, as the spacebar is a lot like a piano key).

Download emulinker server, then run it. The server IP is your own IP. You can find that out easily enough (you can just type 'whatismyip' into google if you don't know how to use ipconfig etc).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Running your own server is not that easy. You need a really good connection with high upload speed.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
When I said that, I meant just for a 3/4 person match. I don't mean keeping a server up for everyone to come in. I just have the server ready if I ever have a number of people ready to play 4P.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
how do you host your own server?

I think caps lock is the best button for c-button if you use default setup
step 1: obtain a high powered server (dedicated)

step 2: obtain top tier internet

step 3: put kaillera files on server

D

Deleted member

its worth a shot

or west coasters can pitch in for a server that doesnt suck

NixxxoN

Smash Master
When I said that, I meant just for a 3/4 person match. I don't mean keeping a server up for everyone to come in. I just have the server ready if I ever have a number of people ready to play 4P.
Even for only 4players, running a server on your own PC isnt a really good idea unless you have good PC, a good upload bandwidth (more than 1 mbps) and a good ping on everyone
But it's worth trying of course (use emulinker SF version)

SSBPete

Smash Lord
i dont see how ness is such a low tier. as my friend quoted today "is there anything ness can't do?"
he can spike, tilt, djc, 2 missiles, absorb damage, reflect missiles, heck, he even has a yo-yo!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i dont see how ness is such a low tier. as my friend quoted today "is there anything ness can't do?"
he can spike, tilt, djc, 2 missiles, absorb damage, reflect missiles, heck, he even has a yo-yo!
1. His approach sucks, its basic and easy to read, Ness doesn't have any disjointed hitbox
2. Everyone besides i forgot who can spike/tilt
3. Absorb damage? I hit you with a bigger combo out of it
4. As boomfan says, recovery

I cannot read sarcasm on the internet

smakis

Smash Ace
1. His approach sucks, its basic and easy to read, Ness doesn't have any disjointed hitbox
2. Everyone besides i forgot who can spike/tilt
3. Absorb damage? I hit you with a bigger combo out of it
4. As boomfan says, recovery

I cannot read sarcasm on the internet
isnt ness yo-yo and bat disjointed hitboxes?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Yes, his awful moves are disjointed.

Why is Jiggs so low? Awful approaches too? Rest combos are too good...

Top Bottom