• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Aar

Smash Cadet
Can someone give me some idea of how d-air should be used?

I'm kinda stuck on this move, i know about the meteor spike but i'm looking for more practical uses.

Any tips n tricks are appreciated as well.
omg dude luvs ya

if your facing right>>>>>
dair should be used imaging the lower half of his spike zone as up and left while his upper spike zone by his pit is like down and right. So wen used correctly you can juggle them in every direction. Its beautiful when done with combinations of various moves. You can juggle them like you wish the back could or the fair OR THE UPAIR but the uair is pretty good lol

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hiya Matt, so from what I can tell, you shield his Falco more than I do. Shield pressure him with DED>>VV, he hates it. You grab more than I do too. You need to use more SHFFL's too, Roy has amazing speed with his SHFFL's, some of the fastest in the game and Falco is speedy too so you need that. We should get together soon and we can teach each other some tricks, I'm sure you have some that I don't yet.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hiya Matt, so from what I can tell, you shield his Falco more than I do. Shield pressure him with DED>>VV, he hates it. You grab more than I do too. You need to use more SHFFL's too, Roy has amazing speed with his SHFFL's, some of the fastest in the game and Falco is speedy too so you need that. We should get together soon and we can teach each other some tricks, I'm sure you have some that I don't yet.
Alright, thank you :). And yea, for sure we gotta play, learn a few tricks from eachother.

Edit - @ Umbreon - Alright thanks a lot for the help, and gotta learn to chaingrab still, but I'm getting there.

D

Deleted member

Falco is giving me a tough time...

If you have any general tips for me that would be greatly appreciated :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdU-N00Gxs
side b fastfallers with over > up > over sequence, the second hit up is much better vs fox falco falcon

grab dthrow turn around dtilt is a great trap if they don't DI and tech in place (common)

learn to chaingrab with and without upairs

take free kills, don't botch edge guards

don't jump into the opponent with aerials, space them and stay on the outside of their bodybox

this falco just kind of shines air a lot and then fsmashes you and makes no real attempt to trap or trick you. you should be able to exploit it pretty easily even with a bad character.

Royness

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips vs. Gaymen Watch? My buddy mains him, and his 'chute spam is preposterous. It's got priority over everything, and makes him a beast edge-guarder. Any help would be great.

camerino1

Smash Lord
D-throw chain grabs him, right? Otherwise, I'd say reverse D-tilt > Blazer on most stages can kill, but not FD sadly. He's arguably our best MU.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Anyone have any tips vs. Gaymen Watch? My buddy mains him, and his 'chute spam is preposterous. It's got priority over everything, and makes him a beast edge-guarder. Any help would be great.
Take G&W to Yoshi's Story. Reverse Blazer will ALWAYS kill him at 0%. Down throw to F-smash at 0%. CC all of his aerials to Dtilt. Dtilt to Nair. Platform cancel empty drops. Ftilt can be used to get rid of his approaches. Yes ftilt. Lrn to wall tech while using Blazer aka. When activating Blaze Smash di towards the Stage and press L.

Edit: Some vids of My roy in teams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1MUHPEV3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqQj8I2bhXY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzsnS52XYU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zYjem2O2cY&feature=channel_video_title

Can someone give me some idea of how d-air should be used?

Any tips n tricks are appreciated as well.
You could attempt to spike the opponent down from an attack and tech chase into fsmash. I recall a few players attempting that on people they wanted to get low percent kills on. Since at higher percents he cannot combo into anything that kills.

Also, just use for getting off the ledge if someone is near by, or from out of shield.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
You could attempt to spike the opponent down from an attack and tech chase into fsmash.
This does indeed work. Dtilt -> dair spike -> tech chase can be done pretty often...on anyone outside of the spacies it'll work at around 70ish%. The trick is to be fastfalling your dair already/the moment the spike actually hits, so that you have time to chase them if they do happen to tech it. If you want to see an example, I land one on Caveman in my super old match against him @ 4:08. Be warned the recording quality is awful though.

Speaking of recordings, I recorded the finals of a Dallas monthly that I won last week. Still kinda rusty, but the matches were pretty good...I'll be adding them to the video thread sometime this week.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I use dair a lot the way sethlon explained it, there are a lot of intricacies in using it to spike.

ffing dair onto someone in the air makes it easier to hit the spike. if the person is behind you, it will spike easier. hitting with it at the peak of the jump will make it easy as well.

you can edgeguard ganon with ledgehop dair :3

tippered dair at high % can lead to kills

dair is cool through platforms

so many uses. so many weird as **** hitboxes.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Few questions I need answered....

Other than dtilt -> nair, what other situations would you say are called for nair? Would it ever work with shield pressure? Is it really even that good of an approach if it's not abused?

Are there really any practical uses of dash attack? Only reasonable thing I can think of is spacing it so the very tip would end up hitting the opponent or their shield, and that's because the move is so laggy =/

How does everyone use bair? I've seen it used on shields a lot...I do fullhop bair to grab ledge sometimes if I have time to =P

Does Roy's utilt really have much use? Is it really worth risking using since the ending lag is bad? I don't feel like I can really ever followup after it o_o...

Is it just typical spacie habit to spot dodge if I uthrow, uair, and try to regrab? One of my crewmates tends to do it a lot since I'll do it at low %s sometimes...I've caught on and wait for the spot dodge now, but I just want to know if that's something typical spacies will do or maybe it's just my crewmate's habit and I should not have the same impression when I play others?

Roy's so frustrating to learn at first, but he's so rewarding once you can **** face with him :p

camerino1

Smash Lord
I use n-air as my opening attack all the time. I probably play a little more offensively than I should, but I usually do run up and SH n-air to get people. I've never found b-air all that useful if I'm being honest, but I haven't played people until very recently. U-tilt kills at higher %'s, and it does end a few combos off, it can combo with itself on the Spacies, but d-tilt combos better :p

Edit: I really like his d-air, it's such an odd attack and it can kill with and without the spike, such weird hit frames :awesome:

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
nair:
spaced properly against shields.
certain situations on platforms.
done comboing and can't end in fsmash or flare blade.

utilt:
use sparingly, throws people off. utilt DED is the only thing i think it truly combos into.

dash attack:
mixup. pretty awful. although on that note, the very back of your armpit can reset.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I have been playing around with b-air today and it has a little more knockback than f-air, I didn't really notice until today though. :p

Does anyone else here love U-smash as much as I do? I use it to combo into f-tilt and F-smash all the time. It has so little knockback if you don't hit with the explosion at the end and it has just enough hitstun to hit people with another attack after. The spike is nice too, but the only character I have been able to really use it on for a kill in some combo fashion is Peach. If you dash attack and then U-smash right as soon as you can near the edge it can kill under 40%, but once you get over she gets hit too far. So it's still hard to do.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Try this at low to mid-high damage %.

D-tilt
dash jump
reverse DED (V-V-V-?)

Best to start the reverse ded when your about to pass by them i was able to get an 8 hit combo doing this.

Also i think roy's should start using up-smash more it's the only attack that cant be CC.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
So it turns out MP4 videos are a ***** to split >.< I'll get those vids up eventually.

Also i think roy's should start using up-smash more it's the only attack that cant be CC.
The only problem with that is you have to be literally on top of them to use upsmash that way. If they let you get close, you could have just grabbed them earlier, which has a lot less sucking potential on whiff than upsmash.

Upsmashing people on platforms is fun, though. Comboscomboscombos!

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
sorta, but i find that my ledgehop->stuff gets cc'd and gets me *****.

also falling uair (according to crimson blur) has frame advantage if done right.

The only problem with that is you have to be literally on top of them to use upsmash that way. If they let you get close, you could have just grabbed them earlier, which has a lot less sucking potential on whiff than upsmash.
Crouching jigglypuffs

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy grabs crouching jiggs, nice try

:phone:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Getting crouch cancelled on ledgehop will end you. :(

Roy grabs crouching jiggs, nice try
Is that with using dash grab instead of jump cancelled grab? I don't have much jiggs experience :(
Disagree, upsmash has deceptively little lag (due to the 16 frame iasa window.) It's actually a good bait to dsmash after. I actually use it for that purpose pretty often--it's a very good method to kill some floaties if you're having trouble otherwise.
Whiff is perhaps not the word I was looking for. The problem I have with approaching with upsmash is its super slow (15 frame start up), and you have to literally be on top of them, so it takes longer to set up. If you screw up, odds are you're going to eat it, and hard. It actually has the same down time lag as grab.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
my roy is back up to par save for WDing OOS.

get mad hyped

camerino1

Smash Lord
This might seem odd, but my friend use u-tilt on me OoS when we were playing Roy ditto's and it killed me at 140% because of it's trajectory when you sweetspot the front. Could this be used as a punish for certain characters when they smash our shield?

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to say gg to Ripple.
Wasn't aware of ur existence XD I'm glad to see a legit Roy player still playing ^^

Loved watching ur videos, but sometimes it looked like u didn't care lol
And u should definately work on those recoveries.

Like ur style though, gonna steal some **** from u ^^

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
This might seem odd, but my friend use u-tilt on me OoS when we were playing Roy ditto's and it killed me at 140% because of it's trajectory when you sweetspot the front. Could this be used as a punish for certain characters when they smash our shield?
How did he do it out of shield? Just literally drop shield and do it? Wavedash -> Utilt? Was he punishing something you did it was it just random?

camerino1

Smash Lord
He did it more than once. He plays Falco normally, so he likes U-tilt. The first was punishing my DED OoS. I used the >>VV one, got 2 hits in on the last, but didn't send him anywhere. So he U-tilted me, and I went flying. I'm thinking, using it as a punish on smashes that hit your shield by wavedashing into the opponent might be a good punish. The move doesn't have horrible start-up, it's that ending lag...

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hmm, okay. I meant it as "He punished my DED out of his shield, because I hit it against it and he got me on the lag at the end of the fourth hit".

camerino1

Smash Lord
It is, but he did it twice. I guess for characters that have to get in close it wouldn't be hard, but for someone like Marth it wouldn't help at all.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Roy's utilt is pretty easy to hit with the middle of the blade; I'm still confused about the OOS part though. Troll.

I've been getting the dair spike on grounded opponents recently (the same anti-spike trajectory of CF and Ganon's dair.) I've never seen this before until I accidentally started doing it... Thoughts, outside experience, potential theorycrafting?

Top Bottom