• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
That's what what people said about brawl before it was released, "It's going to be better then Melee!" then bam you got brawl, many men cried and boys whined.

We don't know how the game will be, don't assume you don't want those word to bite you in the future.

And this is what i think the Charge B should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDFoJc8R-I&feature=related

Aar

Smash Cadet
Master the Pivot and Roy's Fsmash becomes something worthy of the Gods. That's most of my play. I can Fthrow Link, Samus, Ness, Mewtwo, Falco, Fox, Falcon, etc. in a chain throw for the first two and then run, pivot to Fsmash. It is beautiful. DDing on your opponents whim and immediately Fsmashing is great as well. Roy's Dair is also his money move because when sweet spotted it has more knock back then all of his aerials and if you master his dair you can send the sweet spot in any direction. I can use Dair instead of any of Roy's aerials and juggle with it. BUT the landing lag on his Dair if not done correctly is punishable. I recommend lots of practice with Roy. And being able to wavedash in and out of your opponents pressure while using dtilt is incredibly useful. Right when the dtilt is on dash to pivot fsmash. No one likes my Roy lol because his Fsmash which isn't easily comboed becomes childs play to use with the pivot, when Fair sends them what would usually be out of reach is nothing to worry about with pivot fsmash. PIVOT FSMASH FTW! lol

AND should I even have to bring up his counter, and my favorite is Uthrowing and using Usmash right away to miss, so the opponent thinks they can get me on a whim or pressure me, but its just enough time to 'whoops' COUNTER! game set!

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Lol @ whoever said Roy's try to be as graceful as Marth

I can't stand Marth just cause of how graceful you have to be

I play my Roy like I play my Fox

Lots of SHFFL's + Marth's grab game

crush

Smash Master
Master the Pivot and Roy's Fsmash becomes something worthy of the Gods. That's most of my play. I can Fthrow Link, Samus, Ness, Mewtwo, Falco, Fox, Falcon, etc. in a chain throw for the first two and then run, pivot to Fsmash. It is beautiful. DDing on your opponents whim and immediately Fsmashing is great as well. Roy's Dair is also his money move because when sweet spotted it has more knock back then all of his aerials and if you master his dair you can send the sweet spot in any direction. I can use Dair instead of any of Roy's aerials and juggle with it. BUT the landing lag on his Dair if not done correctly is punishable. I recommend lots of practice with Roy. And being able to wavedash in and out of your opponents pressure while using dtilt is incredibly useful. Right when the dtilt is on dash to pivot fsmash. No one likes my Roy lol because his Fsmash which isn't easily comboed becomes childs play to use with the pivot, when Fair sends them what would usually be out of reach is nothing to worry about with pivot fsmash. PIVOT FSMASH FTW! lol

AND should I even have to bring up his counter, and my favorite is Uthrowing and using Usmash right away to miss, so the opponent thinks they can get me on a whim or pressure me, but its just enough time to 'whoops' COUNTER! game set!
the second paragraph doesnt work at all because 80% of the cast will grab you at that point >_>

Aar

Smash Cadet
the second paragraph doesnt work at all because 80% of the cast will grab you at that point >_>
I did fail to mention I do that when they high in percent because they are in the air long enough for me to miss but not necessarily be punished thanks to his counter.

Pi

Smash Hero
i like & expect good things from Aar
don't get too cocky, see the flaws in your gameplay before your opponents do and be ready to counter them

Aar

Smash Cadet
i like & expect good things from Aar
don't get too cocky, see the flaws in your gameplay before your opponents do and be ready to counter them
Lol thx, and yea I'm not trying to be cocky. I have a good and original roy but he is still roy and has faults.

Another great thing about dair is his sourspoted dair off the ledge hop. The blade's tip actually comes from underneath them through the ground, and usually sends them up and over my roy for a nice little FSMASH lol. Or if it was to sweetspot just follow where it brings them with a nice initial dash to FSMASH lol.

camerino1

Smash Lord
My favorite smash is actually U-Smash because it can combo into other attacks if the strongest one doesn't connect, even then on Falco/Fox, it combos into itself and if near the edge it can result in a spike.

I'm not fast enough with the reflexes yet to do his U-air combo against the fast fallers. I try it and either I don't fast fall it at all, or I don't do the attack due to too much fast fall. The most I have ever gained on a person is 2 in a row, which I lead into F-Smash after. Any tricks to doing this, like maybe C-Stick U-air?

camerino1

Smash Lord
I can SHFFL anything else, it's the up then down on the Stick. I can't do fast enough without messing up on that one for some reason. I can do it once, but the multiple times is what gets me.

I c-stick my aerials when Im facing the right
That seems like such an unusual habit.
Yeah, I c-stick almost all of my aerials.
C-stick is what makes melee a better game over smash64.
More stages doesn't matter. More characters doesn't matter. It's all about that c-stick.

I alternate depending on whatever feels easier at the time.

Does roy have any ability to keep people out indefinitely? Or does he have no safe moves to use? Getting wrecked for even attacking :/
^Still not familiar with what people can punish against roy for doing.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Approaching with DED is a bad idea, but if you're looking to hit an opponent out of their attack, random DEDs work fine.
Dtilt is probly roy's safest move. Its also his best combo move. ;)

camerino1

Smash Lord
I like using the first attack of DED to disrupt people, and then D-Tilt > N-Air, does anybody else do that? I was just wondering if it's commonly done.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I normally fight floaties when practicing so I can try and come up with makeshift combos, because I know it's our weak point. We have a nice MU against most fast-fallers, so I tend to stick to the lighter characters when not playing my friends (who all seem to enjoy Falco now... with the exception of a Young Link player and a Fox/Jiggs player).

Did anyone here try the D-Tilt near edge > Full hopped F-Air > DED 1+2 > Jump to ledge > Up+B. It seems to be the most effective way of pushing people away when I try it... I just don't play people often enough to know if it's reliable as an effective aerial technique.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I was watching one of Sethlon's matches, he was REALLY good. I'm super impressed, as of this moment I swear that I'll get that good, that's just... MAN, he's so good. It was against Xelic's Ganon, I didn't even know Roy could do some of the stuff I saw...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I was watching one of Sethlon's matches, he was REALLY good. I'm super impressed, as of this moment I swear that I'll get that good, that's just... MAN, he's so good. It was against Xelic's Ganon, I didn't even know Roy could do some of the stuff I saw...
You should of seen what I did to him with my Ganon.. oh man.. poor him. =p

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Thats very warrior spirit of you, coming in and rubbing it in randomly.
5$ MM 2/3, sir, next time we meet.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thats very warrior spirit of you, coming in and rubbing it in randomly.
5$ MM 2/3, sir, next time we meet.
Randomly? I was here since the beginning! People ask, they get. That's the noble way a warrior should act. But ok, I will crush your spirit once more! =P I mean you could have said it yourself, it wouldn't have made any difference but I don't like to wait too long hehe.

Aar

Smash Cadet
So I'm going to say it again PIVOT FSMASH FTW! Also (attempted) moonwalks or backsidewavedashshorthopdownair bswdshdair. Shield pokes the funkles out of my brother. It will even come from underneath to shield poke when done correctly. I strongly believe in Roy's Dair as being his best aerial move. I can do the bswddair and edgehog to a dair ledge hop. This lets me hit them twice with the meteor smash if the meteor cancel or if I sourspot his dair I get another chance with this ledge hop dair. Once your back on the edge you can really just do it again or anything else. If neutral B I jump and do it when they use there third jump so while they rise so do I and boom, but I do it as a mind game, sometimes jumping up backwards like a bdair - but nope! A whopping reverse flareblade; hopefully on the tip.

Counter is nice.

Top Bottom