• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

camerino1

Smash Lord
Oh really now? How sad, Canada is such a nice country. I'd like to have talked with a fellow Canadian about competitive Melee. By the way, how's the Melee scene in Uganda? It mustn't be bad since you're on MBR, right?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I use Roy as a gimmick CP to Game & Watch on YS because throw > tech chase d-tilt > reverse blazer is a semi-legitimate 0-death combo on that level and it never gets old.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think it's probably possible to make bracket with him at a big 300 person tournament if you're a little lucky and very skilled with him.

I'm not sure he'll go much further than that, though.

camerino1

Smash Lord
U-smash isn't that bad. It has low ending lag, combo potential on FF'ers and if it spikes on stage it'll lead into good tech-chase material. It also has kill potential on floaties. It's better than u-tilt, that's for sure. I personally enjoy this attack a lot.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Multi-hit moves with exploitable DIs tend to be bad. I just like up smash because it's cool but it's probably rarely practical.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I've been enjoying using DED with side-side-down or side-up-down against non-FFers because it seems like you can combo into flare blade after (sometimes as a true combo, sometimes as a fake combo that works because flare blade is big). Are there other things to be doing with DED against floatier characters aside from ending with a side hit?

Also, Roy's up smash really is as terrible as everyone says it is.

D

Deleted member

the less you use roy's upsmash, the better off you'll be

against floaties, side B them such that you hit with the tip at the start where it's really high when they're in the air. it will never combo into anything but the positioning advantage it gives you is god damn ridiculous.

crouch happy grounded floaties will always be roy's hardest matches because he can't do anything to them until they jump. it's better to keep doing non-combo hits that retail advantage and to upthrow them at 190.

=/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Crouching jiggs gets grabbed by roy. Where have you been umbreon?

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Not particularly. You're almost always better off with d-tilt, jab, f-tilt, f-smash, flade blade, fair, and even counter for edgeguarding them. I'm sure there's some situation where d-smash is as good as the above, but it's probably very rare.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I didn't even know d-smash could do that. I believe that that is tipper at low percents. It sends people at about a 30% angle up, but Falco is weird, so that's probably just the effect of tipper at low percent. I suppose you could look into that, but that seems hard to always time right.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
he DI'ed out on a tipper d-smash. he probably expected another d-tilt or something.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
So after a 5 month break, I'm back, and re-motivated.. ^^

NEW video(s) of my roy (more to come) but I'd like some advice on the Young Link MU.... We all know Axe's Young Link has emerged...nearly beating box, and others... this MU is rather fun and interesting, and wonder what you all think ^^; Enjoy <3.. comments appreciated.. ^^

Axe (Ylink) vs Vman (Roy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we51vzRjOYY

Melee!!!!!!

Hi roy Boards ^^

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I can imagine the most important things to consider in this matchup are pikas gimps. as roy is a fast faller usmash isnt incredibly **** worthy, but do to how eaasily he is comboed i can imagine that pika could have a field day taking him down and out. I would like to see more axe v roys

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
axe consistently 2-3 stocked me.

but 1. I've never played against a good pika and 2. He's much better than me

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
axe consistently 2-3 stocked me.

but 1. I've never played against a good pika and 2. He's much better than me
Don't worry I'll show you the MU, we actually played this MU alot... Prolly idk 20 matches or so.. I think i won like twice.. >>; but the games were close!.. I feel I know this MU rather well.. and that' I'm getting very, VERY comfortable with Roy

@Kirbykaze - you have no idea how RIGHT you are.. it's scary.. :(

camerino1

Smash Lord
But doesn't Pika's u-air wreck a LOT of the cast? I mean, I can only think that it doesn't wreck Jiggs, Pichu, Mewtwo, Zelda, Marth and Pika. Am I missing any characters here that it doesn't destroy recovery options for?

camerino1

Smash Lord
See, those two I wasn't sure on. I figured that Zelda might have been able to go far enough with hers though. Marth I was iffy on for the sole fact that he has no horizontal movement. But yeah, Pika ruins most of the cast with that move. It's such a good move when used right...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Pika's uair forces Zelda to recover low > high, which is the recovery version that has the 30 frame landing lag or whatever it is. That's terrible. Beyond terrible, in fact.

D

Deleted member

i've never had problems recovering against pikachu as zelda. you just snap to the edge, can't do much about it.

sure feels awful to get hit by on YS though where you always think you're going to die even if you don't.

Top Bottom