• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Despite my character icon I still play Roy, I'm just putting him on the backburner (hehe) for a while while I enjoy using a top tier for once

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Honestly, I play marth for 90% of my matchups now. But I still play roy a ton. I went all roy at a local tourney 2 weeks ago. It was fun, but it made winning about a billion times harder.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I remember I used to get mad at you for going Marth but nOw I completely get it haha

camerino1

Smash Lord
I can't play Marth at all. I try and play him like Roy, which just doesn't work. So I've been playing YLink and Pika a lot too. Roy is still probably my best though, in all honesty. He has a chaingrab on Pika too with his b-throw.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I've toyed with marth some in Melee, and I've always played him kinda like Roy too. Had a funny set against Kal (one of TX's marth players) where he went Roy and I went Marth, and he was playing Roy like Marth and I was playing Marth like Roy :awesome:

I've also been teaching some of the new DFW Project M players some marth stuff, so my Roy-marth style has been spreading a bit lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I know that feeling all too well sethlon.

double fair? what's that? :awesome:

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Actually, playing both has helped my combo game with both. It makes me realize I can actually combo with Roy and it makes me realize when to back off with Marth. One other huge benefit with playing Marth is that I have a good idea of how to get kills. I know a big topic amongst Marth's right now is how to get kills. It's always seemed so easy to me, going from our wonderful 0 kill power to Marth's "SWEET BAJEESUS KILLS EVERYWHERE" hitboxes.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
roys edgecanceled reverse fair makes me have to change my pants every time.

also at rarth, the only reason im playing marth is to get a wider understanding of this game.
im still gonna go back to roy after a while lol.

also @ pyro, marth has the same problem with roy about killing people at high percents, no setup options at all.

@sethlon, i find dtilt->fsmash still works with marth if they arent expecting it

odinNJ

Smash Lord
uthrow can kill before most of roys aerials. Ftilt also kills long before his aerials do

camerino1

Smash Lord
Why was Roy given such poor aerials? I honestly feel that he has the worst in the game, except for maybe f-air because it actually combo's into and out of things. Pichu has a worse f-air.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Roy's Nair is pretty good. Also, Ripple vs Pitzer Roy Ditto's at Apex!

Uptilt, Sour Spot Uairs, to JC grabs are sexy as ****.

Roy tech chases are also sexy.

I feel if Roy's Falling speed wasn't so fast, maybe like Sheiks he'd be way better despite his moveset.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Yeah, I could see that. Thankfully his air speed isn't terrible. I notice when Sheik CG's him, he escapes further off the throw than Pika, so I'm assuming this is due to air-speed.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its more due to fall speed oddly enough

odinNJ

Smash Lord
it doesnt matter, she still combos the living **** out of him off a dthrow haha. Plus his air and falling speed make him fun to run around/combo the stage with

odinNJ

Smash Lord
merry fistmas (Dair)

also my present this year was a 5 uair combo on stream ;)

camerino1

Smash Lord
Probably n-air, since it deals more damage than the other aerial options, and I'm not good enough to tech chase well with d-air.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
That's clearly what you should do. The best I can figure is dtilt->fair->follow DI. Shiek is hard to combo for some raisin.

FurySpark

Smash Rookie
In practice when I'm playing alone. Fox can be very easy to combo at times with dtilts, Naits, and fairs, but that's a CPU. (I know..you better watch out for me...)

I faced a Dr. Mario at a tourney on Final Destination (I know, might as well start digging my hole) but the guy spammed pills.. and i honestly couldn't do anything....I've never felt so useless, maybe cause I'm not that good but o well. And when you B-up to grab an edge the guy used that 'gay' cape switch move... and it was just very frustrating... ("cool story brooo" - everyone)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
You can run under pills or hit them with attacks. In order to avoid cape, you just need to vary your upB timing.

FurySpark

Smash Rookie
Its kinda easier said then done when their jumping and spamming B as its going at every different angle (Air and from the ground). I tried to run under a few times it worked when he slipped up, But that was rarely.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
weaving through the obstacle course that is pills can be very frustrating and requires patience, and I wish i could say that if you catch him out of it hes in for it. but alas, roys punishing game on doc is not that strong. My best advice on beating pills is to look at the screen and see an option (wavedash ftilt can really smack doc into his place) and if you can get close enough to crouch underone/cc it into a grab. you should be able to get him off stage (which is your ultimate goal against doc).

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Another slip up is you'll get frustrated by always trying to reach him--and you'll take damage from the pills, which is all he's looking for. He can't kill you with pills. Take it slowly and focus on not getting hit by the pills, you can DED to cancel their hitboxes, then he'll eventually learn his pills are accomplishing nothing (if you never mess up anyway.) Your goal is to slowly close the distance between him and yourself, not allowing him to reset the distance by getting around you. That's how you change the game from him pressuring you with pills to you pressuring him with spacing.

You don't need to be within range of hitting someone to pressure them, only enough to cramp their space.

EDIT: It is frustrating. But you'll need to switch your mindset to deal with situations like this, ("ok, gameplan change, *deepbreath* let's be slow and methodical) and secretly you can revel in the fact that he does feel pressured too.

What exactly does Roy want to accomplish against Fox/Falco after a grab. I assume he can get a CG to some amount of percent from 0%, but if a platform gets in the way I'm not certain what his options should be.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Roy can put in some serious work off an up throw on FD. When I up throw a spacie on a platformed stage I have a few options to continue the damage:

1. Follow the tech below the platform with an usmash.
2. Tech chase with fair/nair and push them off stage.
3. Tech chase with dair and continue a combo.
4. Waveland the platform, tech chase fsmash.
5. Waveland the platform, tech chase dtilt comboing.
6. Waveland the platform, tech chase grab.

3, 5, and 6 I usually aim to get them to the top platform with uairs and finish with fsmash.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
7. # 6 into an uthrow reverse fair roy ken combo while YOLOing out of control and being a baller

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Played some Roy vs Samus last night. Regardless of how lame it was, it was fairly interesting. Won 1 of the 2 games I played it. I'm trying to figure out these bad matchups and the more I think about it, the more it becomes run around and poke with fairs/dtilts.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I got some firey footage of m Roy at Apex. As soon as they get posted I'll send a link.

There were zero to deaths, AND. . . . . Roy was on the stage.

camerino1

Smash Lord
So... does that mean that they were done on Roy? :p

Edit: DED1 > grab works on Samus from 30% until 85% or so, if she doesn't DI away. Wasn't sure if this was common knowledge, but any little bit helps against her.

Top Bottom