• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wii Sports isn't fun? - Not at all. It's just a tech demo.
Super Paper Mario isn't fun? - Didn't get enough time with it to give it a proper critique, but I liked the 2D and 3D gameplay a lot.
Excite Truck isn't fun? - Never played it, but I hate racing games that aren't part of the Burnout series
Trauma Center isn't fun? - I HATED Trauma Center on the DS. The game ranged from tasks that were too easy to tasks that were needlessly hard, by adding a timer to difficult surgeries. It was stupid with the stylus and I can't see it being different with the Wiimote.
Super Mario Galaxy isn't fun? - The game is fun, but it's just Mario 64 on a ball instead of a cube.
Fire Emblem isn't fun? - Never played

Sir, I don't think you understand what fun is.
How so? I want names of games. Don't just rattle off random crap without back up.

Plus it's all a matter of opinion. What you think is fun, is totally different from what everyone else thinks is fun. This is why this debate is so stupid, it's not even a debate. It's homers throwing out random stats, and claiming the other systems have no hard core games, when they're basing hardcore on their view.
That's just it. Their view is all that matters. They paid for the console; they deserve to play whatever they want on it. I love Resistance, Warhawk, Lair, Rachet and Clank Future (the demo was amazing), Unchartered, Calling All Cars (beats a TON of full length games I played), Rock Band, Assassin's Creed, and other games the Wii cannot pull-off due to hardware restrictions. Rock Band alone is enough to sell more 360s and PS3s than anything I can see out now. Right now, my PS3 purchase is completely justified to me as I am faced with an issue of too many games and not enough money - as opposed to how it was when I first bought it.

FYI - I just bought the PS3 Eye. Pretty interested in it and the games coming out for it.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I think it's clear that all three consoles have some strong software to offer gamers. There is no definitive answer on which is "better" because everyone's tastes are different. Can't we just enjoy games without putting down consoles?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Right now, a PS3 isn't a justified purchase for me; the only game out now that I'd play is Warhawk. However, once MGS4/MGO comes out, I'll probably pick one up. FFXIII, Little Big Planet, Street Fighter II: HD, and Soul Calibur IV will make it worthwhile.

Oh, and CK, I've never played the DS Trauma Center, but the Wii one was nothing like what you said.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Right now, a PS3 isn't a justified purchase for me; the only game out now that I'd play is Warhawk. However, once MGS4/MGO comes out, I'll probably pick one up. FFXIII, Little Big Planet, Street Fighter II: HD, and Soul Calibur IV will make it worthwhile.

Oh, and CK, I've never played the DS Trauma Center, but the Wii one was nothing like what you said.
Final Fantasy Versus XIII looks cool too. What sucks thogh is that the PS3 isn't quite worth it this year. I know Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is here, but MGS4 won't be out till Q2 of 2008 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII won't be out until late 2008 or early 2009. Not to mention Final Fantasy XIII no longer has a 2008 release date. In fact, it doesn't have one currently. What a bad sign.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Final Fantasy Versus XIII looks cool too. What sucks thogh is that the PS3 isn't quite worth it this year. I know Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is here, but MGS4 won't be out till Q2 of 2008 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII won't be out until late 2008 or early 2009. Not to mention Final Fantasy XIII no longer has a 2008 release date. In fact, it doesn't have one currently. What a bad sign.
With Final Fantasy, it'll be released when it's done and people will love it. That's just the cold hard truth of it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
How so? I want names of games. Don't just rattle off random crap without back up.

Plus it's all a matter of opinion. What you think is fun, is totally different from what everyone else thinks is fun. This is why this debate is so stupid, it's not even a debate. It's homers throwing out random stats, and claiming the other systems have no hard core games, when they're basing hardcore on their view.
You accuse me of rattling off random crap and then follow up with "its a matter of of opinion". Clearly then, its my opinion that the PS3 currently has a better library than the Wii.

Both the PS3 and Wii have a good amount of great 1st party games. But the PS3 has a advantage over the Wii. You can't play Oblivion, Assassins Creed or COD4 on the Wii. Which is why I give the advantage to the PS3.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Another week in Japan where the PS3 has outsold the Wii. It'll be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Naw, PS3 is obviously a fad.

(JOKING! That a was a joke.)

Seriously though, a increase is PS3 slaes was bound to happen eventually. Without a strong 360 to compete with, the new Playstation is guaranteed to find an audience in Japan. Don't count the Wii out yet though, there's a little juggernaut called "Wii Fit" on the horizon waiting to take Japan by storm.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
We'll probably continue to see the Wii and Ps3 trade places as anticipated products release. When games like Eternal Sonota or White Knight hit japan the Ps3 will rise. When Wii fit is released we'll see the Wii shoot up. Singstar is crazy popular in Europe and it does seem like it could be a could party game. My mom found out about Wii fit through a news station and has been bugging me about it since. Considering what wii sports did for the wii who knows how long Wii fit will keep it on top.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Naw, PS3 is obviously a fad.

(JOKING! That a was a joke.)

Seriously though, a increase is PS3 slaes was bound to happen eventually. Without a strong 360 to compete with, the new Playstation is guaranteed to find an audience in Japan. Don't count the Wii out yet though, there's a little juggernaut called "Wii Fit" on the horizon waiting to take Japan by storm.
you mean that little white thing you stand on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Even sadder is that it'll probably be one of the most successful games on the Wii.
That is extremely sad because that means the future of gaming could be nothing more than mini-games, as it the origins of video games, because these mini-game compilations are selling so well. Really, it's just like the FPS fad of the mid-90s, and the MMO fad of this decade. Why make a new and original game that might not sell, when you can make a mini-game compilation that will sell. This situation is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the Wii right now. Rather than have one or two mini-game compilations, which is fine, Nintendo has 3 big ones (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware) that I can name off the top of my head, and more too come. Also, add the Wii Blaster being sold with Link's Crossbow Training and you have yet another tech demo made into a "game".

I want story and content when I play. Not short little games that do nothing but waste time. If I wanted that, I'd play Rock Band and at least have fun while doing it.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
That is extremely sad because that means the future of gaming could be nothing more than mini-games, as it the origins of video games, because these mini-game compilations are selling so well. Really, it's just like the FPS fad of the mid-90s, and the MMO fad of this decade. Why make a new and original game that might not sell, when you can make a mini-game compilation that will sell. This situation is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the Wii right now. Rather than have one or two mini-game compilations, which is fine, Nintendo has 3 big ones (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware) that I can name off the top of my head, and more too come. Also, add the Wii Blaster being sold with Link's Crossbow Training and you have yet another tech demo made into a "game".

I want story and content when I play. Not short little games that do nothing but waste time. If I wanted that, I'd play Rock Band and at least have fun while doing it.
Yah, that's the big downfall of the Wii, it's like Nintendo is encouraging developers just to make mini games.

That's why Im a huge supporter of the Wii360 deal. I own a Wii right now, and am working on buying a Xbox 360. All the good third parties come out on the 360, and all the good 1st parties come on the Wii. It's a little of both worlds. Though I think developers are starting to get some things down. Capcom and EA have been making some great games for the Wii, hopefully some more developers will begin to follow their example.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I don't mind minigame collections, I just hate shallow gameplay. But then, are deep competitive minigames still minigames?

And no one can beat the greatest minigame collection out there: the web browser.

Crom

Smash Journeyman

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
And no one can beat the greatest minigame collection out there: the web browser.
Agreed. I spent an hour playing one game on WiiCade. That thing is worth the five bucks (even though I got it for free)

EDIT: Oh, and CK, nobody's making you buy the minigame compilations. There are many substantial Wii games out (Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers [surprisingly deep], Geometry Wars [again, very deep and fun], Trauma Center 1 &2 [although you for some reason think they suck], Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, Prime 3, Umbrella Chronicles, and Super Paper Mario, to name some off the top of my head). And don't forget the juggernauts coming next year and beyond (Smash, No More Heroes, Mushroom Men [it will rock!], Mario Kart, Fragile, King Story/Project O, Disaster, and Crystal Chronicles)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Agreed. I spent an hour playing one game on WiiCade. That thing is worth the five bucks (even though I got it for free)
I think he's referring to the browser you're using now. If that's not what he meant, then I think he's wrong.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Yah, that's the big downfall of the Wii, it's like Nintendo is encouraging developers just to make mini games.
That's because Nintendo follows another market. They "noticed" that family games and multi player games were the reason to start winning bucks. So they combined that with innovating controls and got the success we're watching.
Also, I think they have some hardcore games (Zelda, Metroid, Ghost Squad, etc.) but that's not the strong side of Wii it seems, third parties goes were most hardcore gamers are: the PC, Xbox and PS.

But hey, that doesn't matter because Nintendo only needs games of Mario, Zelda, DK, Metroid, Kirby and Pokemon to compete.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's because Nintendo follows another market. They "noticed" that family games and multi player games were the reason to start winning bucks. So they combined that with innovating controls and got the success we're watching.
Also, I think they have some hardcore games (Zelda, Metroid, Ghost Squad, etc.) but that's not the strong side of Wii it seems, third parties goes were most hardcore gamers are: the PC, Xbox and PS.

But hey, that doesn't matter because Nintendo only needs games of Mario, Zelda, DK, Metroid, Kirby and Pokemon to compete.
Yea, who wants original games, just keep rehashing the same game for the past 20 years and sheep will buy it!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
you mean that little white thing you stand on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns
:laugh: That is hilarious. Good find.

Seriously though, although it's not my thing I know for a fact that a lot of people will get enjoyment out of that game - particularly kids, soccer moms, etc. Even my Wii-sports hating little sister wants it.

I'll buy it, but only for the balance board. (In preparation for the day when some savvy developer combines the balance board and Wii-Zapper to make my dream game: "Snowboarding FPS"!)

Wii Fit will be big in that it will be the next Wii Sports.
A series of shallow mini-games that really is nothing more than a tech demo?
Boxing, Golf, Tennis and Baseball are definitely just demos. You can take them or leave them, as far as I'm concerned

Wii Bowling, on the other hand, is actually a real bowling game. And a good one at that. It's the perfect party game and, considering it comes free with the system, Wii Bowling is a nice bonus.

That is extremely sad because that means the future of gaming could be nothing more than mini-games, as it the origins of video games, because these mini-game compilations are selling so well. Really, it's just like the FPS fad of the mid-90s, and the MMO fad of this decade. Why make a new and original game that might not sell, when you can make a mini-game compilation that will sell. This situation is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the Wii right now.
Dude, just because mini games are selling well doesn't mean developers will stop making Bioshocks, Zeldas and Final Fantasies.

Think of television. FOX's biggest moneymaker is American Idol (the "Wii Sports" of television, if you will) even though it's a simple concept that's relatively cheap to produce. In comparison, a show like 24 and Prison Break are FAR more expensive to keep on the air (they have to pay writers, producers, directors, actors, stunt coordinators, special effects experts, etc.) and their viewerships are far smaller than Idol's.

So why keep making 24, when they could make 20 American Idols for the same cost? Simple: they attract different audiences. 24's audience is comprised mostly of 17-30 year old males, most of whom won't watch family-friendly fluff like Idol. So, if FOX limited themselves to only American Idol watchers, they would lose a sizable segment of their audience. (Plus, a show like 24 is a nice ace-in-the-hole to have when the Emmy awards are handed out.)

What I'm saying is that the videogame industry works in a similar fashion. A company like Ubisoft can make a ton a ton of money by making simple games like Spelling Coach and Rayman Raving Rabbits for Wii (which can be made cheaply, quickly, and with a small development team) to appeal to the casual crowd. Then, with the money they generate, they afford to fund more projects like Assassin’s Creed (which take ALOT more time, money and manpower to create) to appeal to traditional gamers - and potentially win GOTY awards. Similarly, with the profits from Brain Age and Wii Fit, Nintendo can actually fund more games like Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and Brawl.

So you see, gamers have nothing to fear from this “Casual Invasion”. If anything, gamers should be thankful for how Nintendo is growing the industry.

Rather than have one or two mini-game compilations, which is fine, Nintendo has 3 big ones (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware) that I can name off the top of my head, and more too come. Also, add the Wii Blaster being sold with Link's Crossbow Training and you have yet another tech demo made into a "game".
There is nothing wrong with simple “demo”-esque games as long as they are priced reasonably. Wii Sports, Wii Play and Link’s Crossbow are not worth $50-60, but as dirt-cheap pack-in games they are worthy purchases. Excite Truck is an example of a fun demo that was overpriced at $60, but would have been a much better value at around $20.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, on the other hand, is an awesome game by any standard that is well worth the asking price.

So, if you don’t like a game it’s a waste of time? I must disagree.

Games, whether they’re epic RPGs like Mass Effect or mini-game collections like Wario Ware, are purely for entertainment. So if people are entertained by them, they have served their purpose. And, like it or not, athere re millions of people out there who enjoy games like Wii Sports whose likes and dislikes are just as valid as yours or mine.

It’s a pretty shallow way of thinking when you only want people to make games that appeal to you. If you don’t like a game, then don’t spend money on it.

I don't mind minigame collections, I just hate shallow gameplay. But then, are deep competitive minigames still minigames?
I think this is an excellent point. Where does one draw the line between minigame and “real” game?

As Crimson sort of hinted at, Guitar Hero and Rock Band essentially boil down to a minigame of “hit the button in time with the falling notes.” Popular downloadable games like Geometry Wars and Calling all Cars are basically just really polished minigames. Heck, the game I play the most is Tetris DS – a “line up the falling blocks” minigame.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Yea, who wants original games, just keep rehashing the same game for the past 20 years and sheep will buy it!
This is the bigggest thing I hate. People who use that theory. Rehashed games. You know what, so what.. PS3, and Xbox 360 have alot of rehashed games. To me, Halo 3 is just like Halo 2, with a few more weapons, a few new maps, and a few more game modes.

CK, sometiems I think you're way too much of a homer. We realize there are rehashed games, but there are alot of good games that aren't rehashed.

MGS4, MGS3, but with better graphics and a new story.
SMG, SM64, but with a new story, and better graphics
Halo 3, Halo 2, but with better graphics, and a few more levels
Ratchet and Clank?

Seriously, every system has rehashed games, Nintenod just seems to have a few more.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is the bigggest thing I hate. People who use that theory. Rehashed games. You know what, so what.. PS3, and Xbox 360 have alot of rehashed games. To me, Halo 3 is just like Halo 2, with a few more weapons, a few new maps, and a few more game modes.

CK, sometiems I think you're way too much of a homer. We realize there are rehashed games, but there are alot of good games that aren't rehashed.

MGS4, MGS3, but with better graphics and a new story.
SMG, SM64, but with a new story, and better graphics
Halo 3, Halo 2, but with better graphics, and a few more levels
Ratchet and Clank?

Seriously, every system has rehashed games, Nintenod just seems to have a few more.
What the **** is a "homer"?

The difference between what you listed and Nintendo is that Nintendo has spent the last few generations off rehashing games. All Mario boils down to is beating Bowser and saving Peach. Same with Zelda.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
What the **** is a "homer"?

The difference between what you listed and Nintendo is that Nintendo has spent the last few generations off rehashing games. All Mario boils down to is beating Bowser and saving Peach. Same with Zelda.
You know, there is more to a game than it's basic storyline. Gameplay should factor into the equation as well. And by this standard, the Mario and Zelda franchises rarely fail to impress.

Um... are you just going to ignore my previous post... :(

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
a few. think bigger.

You know, there is more to a game than it's basic storyline. Gameplay should factor into the equation as well. And by this standard, the Mario and Zelda franchises rarely fail to impress.

Um... are you just going to ignore my previous post... :(
but nintendo has turned their game into their same old games. same puzzles same everything give or take 1 or 2 new things. they've stopped being origanal.:(

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
but nintendo has turned their game into their same old games. same puzzles same everything give or take 1 or 2 new things. they've stopped being origanal.:(
Personally, I think that's an exageration. In the Zelda series, for instance, many of the same gameplay elements remain (silimar items, locations, ect.) but you'll never find the exact same dungeon or puzzle. And when I played Twilight Princess, I found far more than a couple new gameplay elements to make things interesting. For my tastes, Nintendo's long running franchises tend to keep a nice balance of old and new.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Eh, I'd definately give the PS3 the advantage in that area. Both are currently dwarfed by the 360 but the PS3 has the Wii beat currently.
Haha, the PS3 will have exactly 0 AAA exclusives (games that average in the 90's or higher) by the end of christmas. The supposed 'good' PS3 lineup consists of rehashed sports titles mainly (like, 50% or so).
You can't play Oblivion, Assassins Creed or COD4 on the Wii. Which is why I give the advantage to the PS3.
Yes, but 2 of the 3 games can be played on two superior platforms, and one (assassins creed) was more hype than bite. That essentially makes the PS3 useless.
All Mario boils down to is beating Bowser and saving Peach. Same with Zelda.
Yes, I'm sure all the critics who gave Galaxy an average 97 rating and placed it among the greatest games ever created would agree. Still, criticizing Nintendo as simply rehashing titles only does your own opinion harm. It just shows that 360 and PS3 are incapable of doing better than Nintendo's supposedly "rehashed" titles.
We'll probably continue to see the Wii and Ps3 trade places as anticipated products release.
No, that's not very likely. The PS3 had a boost because it's 40 gig model was released. Sales spiked, and while they beat them again this week sales dropped off quite a bit. Same thing happened to the PSP in Japan, when its slim model was released sales spiked then settled below the DS again. In any case, this is only Japan.
While the mini game compilations may be the best selling, Wii still has a larger array of good "story and content" titles then hte PS3 and the 360 in its first year (they almost didnt win any GOTY titles, if GoW hadnt come out wiis newly launched TP would have beat the first year of games for 360).
There is no genre the PC can't do and in fact many genres it can do that consoles can't.
That's not true. The PC is very limited in what genres it can do well. Basically its FPS and RTS, most other genres can be done better on a console.
1 in 5 too much, how about 3 in 5 minigame collections about a controller that gets extremly boring and repetitive quickly for the wii
Nice try, but you're wrong.
Rock Band alone is enough to sell more 360s and PS3s than anything I can see out now.
I doubt it, it's beyond the price point of most consumers (like the PS3). Besides, a wii version is coming anyways.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think that's an exageration. In the Zelda series, for instance, many of the same gameplay elements remain (silimar items, locations, ect.) but you'll never find the exact same dungeon or puzzle. And when I played Twilight Princess, I found far more than a couple new gameplay elements to make things interesting. For my tastes, Nintendo's long running franchises tend to keep a nice balance of old and new.
lozOoT dugeon 4, find the 4 poes
TP dongoun 4, find 4 poes

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Yeah, that would be an example of a gameplay element that carried over from OoT to TP. There were several instances like that throughout the game.

But the actual collecting of those Poes is where the differencesbetween the two games are clear. First of all, the dungeons are structured completely differently in the two games so the sense of deja vu isn't too extreme. Second, the mechanic of how you collect them is very different. In OoT, it's as simple as shooting the pictures of the Poes and then fighting the boss. In TP, you have to track them down as Wolf Link by using their scent.

So, while some things do carry over from game to game, it is done is such a creative way. At least that's how I see it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that was done intentionally for "Oh my gosh, nostalgia" value.

It's kind of weird how people always piss about every single 3-D Zelda game. People said OoT was too easy so they made Majora's Mask harder. Then people said Majora's Mask was too hard, and it was too similar to OoT even though only the character models were reused. They completely ignored the sheer amount of new, creative stuff and focused on the only negative thing. (I actually liked the reused characters. Meh on the haters.) So they took this advice to heart and created Wind Waker, and we all know how much people complained over that, saying it wasn't enough like OoT. So three games later we fnd ourselves in a complete circle because people think they know what they want when all they want to do is grumble about everything.

If you look at each of the Zelda games, you'll find they add in lots of new, creative ideas. People, however, just cant seem to get over the "Princess got captured again! Let's go to a temple!" part. >_<

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
There is no genre the PC can't do and in fact many genres it can do that consoles can't.
I don't think you're right on this one.

There are many genres that the PC can do better than consoles, but there are also many genres that consoles do better than PC.

Examples would be fighting games, racing games (or most any game that involves driving), most action games, most action adventure games, and all platformers. Personally, I think that all these games play better on a console than they do on a computer. There's also quirky games like Katamari Damacy, which I couldn't imagine playing on a PC.

Computers are better for shooters, RTS games, god games, puzzle games, strategy games, and most Western RPGs. That's not inconsequential, but it's doesn't make PCs better than consoles.

Personally, I can't think of a single example of a genre that literally could not be done on a console, although I can think of many that would suffer. The only reason I can imagine for a game being impossible to make for consoles would be if it was simply too labor intensive for any of the consoles too handle, but that would only be a game, not a genre.

Really, there are advantages and disadvantages to both PC gaming and console gaming, just as each console has its own merits and faults. The best you can do is find the platform best suited to you, the one that you will get the most pleasure out of. Doing anything else is just silly.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I fail to understand why those types of games wouldn't work on a PC. My friend plays Street Fighter on his PC and it works just fine. It works better than the console version, actually, since you can get better sticks for the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom