• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Wii just has a different market, blazer. It's different. Nintendo has been saying that for years, that they're "not competing with Sony and Microsoft". But now it might actually have some truth to it.

Don't confuse the Wii's style not coinciding with your own, for the Wii not having quality games. The market certainly disagrees with you.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
-On the other hand...
"I say that for a year old console, the Wii is a fantastic purchase." - Wiseguy -
(that's totally true, I'm expecting a spectacular 2008 for Wii)
I concure. If the Wii's second year is to the Wii's first year what the 360's second year was to it's first, it has the potential to become a total juggernaut.

Ugh. Are these the games to get for the Wii? I dont know anything about Monster Hunter,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

All you really need to know is that it's Capcom's biggests RPG franchise. Pretty niche in North America still, but in Japan it's pretty huge. I'm looking forward to it.

but I found the original Christal Chronicals boring and repetitive,
Did you play with 3 friends via GBA connect cables or solo with a controller? I've heard that the later sucked pretty hard, but the former was pretty neat.

Anyway, that game was a Co-op RPG. This is an action adventure. So there is hope it could turn out to be pretty cool.

and Project O looks awful.
For some, that response is expected. But for many of the surreal and quirky (games like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Katamari, etc) this game has a TON of potential. How can you not love a game that combines Sim City with Pikmin?

From my point of view, all three systems are lacking. The problem with the Wii has been stated numerous times alrready. The games on the 360 like Halo 3, Gears of War, or The Orange Box aren't games I would pay more than twenty dollars each for. And PS3 just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Little Big Planet looks sooo lame. I can sort of see why people would look forward to this, but it's just not me.

Curse all three systems! I cant believe I'm spending more time watching anime than I am playing video games.

And I regret buying Zack and Wiki. :(
Someone's needs to lay off the hateraid...

*coughlongtermobviouslycough*
let me put it this way, the wii's sales are like liquid, not sturdy or supportive. if nintendo doesn't solidify them, they will fall apart and damage the structures below. the only way to solidify it, is by making good quality games often, not every once in a while. the wii by far had the most potential at launch, but it is squandering it on repeditive lack of quality.
The thing is, Wii owners consist of an unholy alliance between casual gamers and Gamecube loyalists. The former (which you consider "liquid" customers) are working families and little kids who buy one or two games a year. They are the ones who made Mario Party and Wii Play two of the best selliong games this year. They are also the ones who will expand the Wii's audience and make it the best selling console of the generation (probably).

The second are Gamecube loyalists. People who stuck with the old Cube through thick and thin, even when entire months would slip by without a single decent release. Compared to those dark days, the Wii's library of 4-5 great games a year (plus virtual console stuff) is heaven. These are the one's that made Twilight Princess and RE4: Wii Edition huge hits.

Both audiences are funneling huge ammounts of pure profit into Nintendo's laps. And even if the former trickled away, later would endure fire and brimstone.

Flop? I think not. The Wii is hear to stay. Deal.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wii is a flop for normal gamers. For casuals and, as you put it, gamecube loyalists it's great.

I personally, don't plan to stick to just getting a Wii. I made the mistake of buying a gamecube last gen and I had very few games to choose from. It's no different with Wii, I plan to get a Xbox 360 and use my Wii as a filler for any droughts or times when I just feel like playing the first party games.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Wii is a flop for normal gamers. For casuals and, as you put it, gamecube loyalists it's great.

I personally, don't plan to stick to just getting a Wii. I made the mistake of buying a gamecube last gen and I had very few games to choose from. It's no different with Wii, I plan to get a Xbox 360 and use my Wii as a filler for any droughts or times when I just feel like playing the first party games.
Good point. I suppose "normal" gamers do qualify as a third stream of profit for Nintendo, as they buy the occasional first party title. Further reason why the Wii will endure for years to come.

But really, would it be so terrible if you bought a Wii and all you got was a box that plays Super Smash Bros Brawl? :p

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Maybe for the first 3-4 years [took me this long to get bored of melee], by then I should have a 360 ^^

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Maybe for the first 3-4 years [took me this long to get bored of melee], by then I should have a 360 ^^
Ah, but Brawl has online play AND a stage editor. I'd say it'll be five years before you get bored of Brawl. That's assuming you don't do ANYTHING except play Brawl in those five years. If you take time to sleep, it should last for a good 10 years. ;)

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Well, lets say that commonyoshi didn't get what he's expecting for, like some of you too or I with the Wii.

I've bought a Wii on the 3rd week paying two times its price only for playing The legend of Zelda TP (Yes, I like Zelda that much). Then I thought other games such as Metroid, Mario Party, Mario Galaxy would fill me up, bot no. Like some of you, I'm waiting for brawl to fill this void.

There's no doubt that Wii was an impulsive buy (heck, if they didn't played mind games with Zelda TP I wouldn't buy it), but Brawl'll come to the rescue.

If it wasn't for Zelda TP, I'd have a Xbox in my hand... I know, I know, Next year is for Wii.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I predict (hope?) that the Wii will see a bunch of great FPS games released in 2008. Metroid and MoHH2 broke the ice and it's only a matter of time before we see something that might surpass Halo (in terms of gameplay--of course the Wii can't match up in graphics and options).

I also think that this is how the Wii will work--a game breaks the ice and shows everyone else how it's done, and then we see a line of great games of that genre. Now only if Pikmin or some other great RTS game comes out... Or maybe an adventure game that gets the motion controls done right.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I predict (hope?) that the Wii will see a bunch of great FPS games released in 2008. Metroid and MoHH2 broke the ice and it's only a matter of time before we see something that might surpass Halo (in terms of gameplay--of course the Wii can't match up in graphics and options).

I also think that this is how the Wii will work--a game breaks the ice and shows everyone else how it's done, and then we see a line of great games of that genre. Now only if Pikmin or some other great RTS game comes out... Or maybe an adventure game that gets the motion controls done right.
I agree 200%. Nintendo should approach Free Radical and convince them to make Time Splitters 3 from the the ground up for the Wii. Dare to dream guys...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
No no no no NO. Why would you want TimeSplitters 3 remade for the Wii? THE WII NEEDS NEW GAMES THAT ARE GOOD, NOT REMAKES WITH WII UPDATES. -_-

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
It's clear that commonyoshi doesn't like video games.
I do like video games. I'm just crabby because I haven't been getting any.:laugh:

Wii-lack of quality/quantity
360-Only games I would buy would be shooters, and seeing as how the best of these shooters will have price drops soon enough, I'm saving my money. Plus, FPSs aren't exactly my favorite to begin with.
PS3-What the heck? It's not repetitive garbage, but it's still garbage to me.

Yeah, I'm a pessimistic frick right now considering how much I do enjoy video games, but there just aren't enough of them to appease me. I'd buy multiple systems to remedy this if I wasn't so poor.

Thank goodness for DS.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Normally you can tell a Wii owner and what games they're waiting for because there's a lack of variety.
360 has way less variety then the wii or even playstation. If the 360 really has 22% FPS overall thats way too much to have for one genre.
The attach rate is the amount of games that owners are buying for the system. So again, on average, Wii owners own 3 games, PS3 owners own 2, 360 owners own 7.
The wii's attach rate is actually 6 if you include wii sports (sold seperately outside the US). Also the wii is ahead again in WW sales.
What will happen 6 months from Brawls release when people want something other than Brawl?

Halo came out in September, Bioshock came just before or after that, Mass Effect is coming soon and COD 4 is also coming soon. PS3 is getting more 3rd parties than Wii, but since 360 is getting most of those 3rd parties more people bought the 360, but at least they still get a good number of games.
You're asking for games that are coming out a year from now? Puhleeze! Just wait and you'll find out. And the wii released double the games of the 360 and PS3 this winter, so don't talk about lack of third party.
Nintendo is allowing anyone and everyone to make games for their consoles while basically ignoring quality assurance.
PS2 last gen. I wonder how well that did :laugh: .
That's the point I've been making Eor, Wii doesn't have enough in between games to keep interest afloat.
1) That's wrong
2) The wii has been out one year. The 360 has been out two years. Remember when everyone talked about how much the 360 sucked because it didnt have any good games? Shoot, the first game to recieve critical acclaim was Oblivion 7 months later and the first major exclusive was Gears of War almost a year afterwards. The wii had a major title out at launch, and has since released 4 (as you've mentioned). And even now the wii has better 3rd party support than the PS3 does. This christmas is evidence of the shifting paradigm, the 360 released around 40 games for it's system while the wii released 80. Games like flow, Monster Hunter, Zack and Wiki, MOHH2, GH3, etc. are starting to show up on the radar for the wii. With wii expecting to sell well through next year, you're only going to start seeing more succesful 3rd party games for the wii.

As a side not, speaking of best games...if Gears of War hadnt been released at the last minute, the 360 would have lost GOTY titles to a system that had been out for a month. This year, 360 will lose out to Mario Galaxy. These are aggregate reviews ranked highest to lowest for nearly every video game in the past 3 generations.
Note number 1
Note number 4

And Brawl may actually win it for them next year...maybe.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Did you get better?
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who's to say a game "doesn't matter"?
the gamer and the game itself.

in terms of FPS, the wii could make games almost compairable to halo. but nintendo will never allow us to get such joy.
also, the only fun good game at launch was excite truck (small jappanes car+ monster truck+ me=:joyful::joyful:)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly? Who cares if a game is called "Game of the Year." Because next year, you won't even care what game was game of the year last year. It's just some bull**** title that means "The reviewers or people who visit that site/magazine liked that game." Means absolutely jack**** to me. I like Bioshock and Portal, A LOT. Neither will get game of the year. Does that matter to me? Nope.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
I really cares about GOTY, without that prestige, Metroid Prime would be just another game, seriously, people could really forgotten how great it was without the GOTY award. It's one of the highest honor of recognizability in the entire cyber community. I would love to have one, that's for sure. Hell, I will trade anything for an award like that.

P.S. I am praying for Super Mario Galaxy to be honored as GOTY. It's both an incredible game, and a triumph from Nintendo.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
360 has way less variety then the wii or even playstation. If the 360 really has 22% FPS overall thats way too much to have for one genre.
Searching for the article again, I've come across something. It's 11%. 7% more are third person shooters.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/12/xbox-360-only-17-shooter-games-22-of-good-games/

Tagxy said:
The wii's attach rate is actually 6 if you include wii sports (sold seperately outside the US). Also the wii is ahead again in WW sales.
The Wii's attach rate is 3.44 INCLUDING Wii Sports. See, simply google "Wii attach rate 3.44" and you get a ton of results. Google your "wii attach rate 6" and you get absolutely none that say the Wii has an attach rate of 6.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I really cares about GOTY, without that prestige, Metroid Prime would be just another game, seriously, people could really forgotten how great it was without the GOTY award. It's one of the highest honor of recognizability in the entire cyber community. I would love to have one, that's for sure. Hell, I will trade anything for an award like that.

P.S. I am praying for Super Mario Galaxy to be honored as GOTY. It's both an incredible game, and a triumph from Nintendo.
That's quite pathetic. Metroid Prime was fun because it was Metroid in a new environment, but I had no idea it got GotY and I still think it was lame after a few hours. The cyber community doesn't matter, period. If a game is fun to you, it's fun to you. Personally, the time I spent playing Mario Galaxy - Fun game, but nothing special. It was, as Cashed put it, Mario 64 on a ball rather than a box. Better than Sunshine, though.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting a 360 this Christmas, but there really isnt much I'd want to play on there. Even less on PS3. I have a Wii right now, but it's not seeing much action til I get Mario Galaxy. Right now The Orange Box for PC (mainly team fort.) has my attention. It seems I can go back PC whenever I want, but the others, are just limited.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
PC is the most limited of gaming platform, but still awesome.
The Wii's attach rate is 3.44 INCLUDING Wii Sports. See, simply google "Wii attach rate 3.44" and you get a ton of results. Google your "wii attach rate 6" and you get absolutely none that say the Wii has an attach rate of 6.
Sorry, but I use a more reliable source then google. When Nintendo released its quarterly numbers at the end of October, released the number of consoles sold in each region and the amount of software sold in each region. Divide one by the other and BAM!, you have the attach rate. I'm guessing yours came from either an incorrect estimate that spread through the internet, or is old (since numbers are only released every three months anyways).
Searching for the article again, I've come across something. It's 11%. 7% more are third person shooters.
Well considering games come out all the time, I'd say 18% isnt much different from 22% and likely it flucuates between the two. That said, my statement still stands, having 1 in 5 games of the same genre (and yes, third and first person shooter is the same genre, theyre different subgenres) is too much.
Honestly? Who cares if a game is called "Game of the Year." Because next year, you won't even care what game was game of the year last year. It's just some bull**** title that means "The reviewers or people who visit that site/magazine liked that game." Means absolutely jack**** to me. I like Bioshock and Portal, A LOT. Neither will get game of the year. Does that matter to me? Nope.
Well now that was quite a bit of equivocating. So tell me then, do reviewers matter or not? If they don't, then what's the point in saying that wii doesnt have enough games between releases to be interesting? Clearly the wii released a lot of games, but their weren't any critically acclaimed games. But as you just said, "critics don't matter". But on the offchance that you changed your mind and all of a sudden they do matter, then what was the point of your last post?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
PC is the most limited of gaming platform, but still awesome.
Based on what? PC allows modding of games, games of any rating, easiest multiplayer, and constant updates. None of the consoles can boast any of those.

Well now that was quite a bit of equivocating. So tell me then, do reviewers matter or not? If they don't, then what's the point in saying that wii doesnt have enough games between releases to be interesting? Clearly the wii released a lot of games, but their weren't any critically acclaimed games. But as you just said, "critics don't matter". But on the offchance that you changed your mind and all of a sudden they do matter, then what was the point of your last post?
I said there are no games that are remotely interesting to me, which is the only opinion I care about because it's my money.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Based on what? PC allows modding of games, games of any rating, easiest multiplayer, and constant updates. None of the consoles can boast any of those.
I meant more by the types of genres it allows. There's only so much you can do.
I said there are no games that are remotely interesting to me, which is the only opinion I care about because it's my money.
Well the first time you left out the "to me" part. But w/e.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Sorry, but I use a more reliable source then google. When Nintendo released its quarterly numbers at the end of October, released the number of consoles sold in each region and the amount of software sold in each region. Divide one by the other and BAM!, you have the attach rate. I'm guessing yours came from either an incorrect estimate that spread through the internet, or is old (since numbers are only released every three months anyways).
You do realize that if Nintendo themselves did release that information then it would show up on Google, right? The Wii's attach rate is 3.44, it's not 6. And the articles are from this month, so old? I don't think so.

And CK shouldn't have to say "to me" in his posts. After all, he's the one typing on that end and posting that message, isn't it? It's obviously in his opinion.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You do realize that if Nintendo themselves did release that information then it would show up on Google, right?
100% correct, Cashed. It's sad that people always seem to understimate the power that is Google.

Learn from this, Tagxy. Google trumps pretty much any online source, due to the fact that Google pretty much IS every online source.

Red Exodus

Smash Master

You make it sound like the game gets better jut by getting some lame award. GOTY has never affected my purchases. Ever.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Well considering games come out all the time, I'd say 18% isnt much different from 22% and likely it flucuates between the two. That said, my statement still stands, having 1 in 5 games of the same genre (and yes, third and first person shooter is the same genre, theyre different subgenres) is too much.
1 in 5 too much, how about 3 in 5 minigame collections about a controller that gets extremly boring and repetitive quickly for the wii

Palmietto

Smash Rookie
Wii Sports isn't fun?
Super Paper Mario isn't fun?
Excite Truck isn't fun?
Trauma Center isn't fun?
Super Mario Galaxy isn't fun?
Fire Emblem isn't fun?

Sir, I don't think you understand what fun is.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
LOL, can you back up those good fun games. PS3 has just as few good games as the Wii does. If not less.
Eh, I'd definately give the PS3 the advantage in that area. Both are currently dwarfed by the 360 but the PS3 has the Wii beat currently.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Eh, I'd definately give the PS3 the advantage in that area. Both are currently dwarfed by the 360 but the PS3 has the Wii beat currently.
How so? I want names of games. Don't just rattle off random crap without back up.

Plus it's all a matter of opinion. What you think is fun, is totally different from what everyone else thinks is fun. This is why this debate is so stupid, it's not even a debate. It's homers throwing out random stats, and claiming the other systems have no hard core games, when they're basing hardcore on their view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom