• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
....Have you PLAYED a Wii CK? The motion sensitive controller is the sole way to control games that don't involve the classic controller. True,all of the new systems have motion sensors, but the PS3 and 360's are so sloppy, that few games support it, and out of those who play them, few people use them.

Yeah, but as far as gameplay and graphics PS3 is the win.
I meant that whether you like the Motion sensor or not is preference. I find it cumbersome and really irritating overall, but that's my preference.

360 doesn't have motion sensor.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ok to prove my point, I took the top rated games from Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.htm...&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

Gears of War 9.6 Nov 7, 2006 - PC title
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 9.6 Mar 24, 2006
The Orange Box 9.5 Oct 10, 2007 - PC title
Halo 3 9.5 Sep 23, 2007 - PC title sooner or later
Forza Motorsport 2 9.2 May 29, 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 9.2 Mar 8, 2006
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 9.1 Nov 21, 2006
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 9.0 Nov 6, 2007 - PC title
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 9.0 Oct 11, 2007
BioShock 9.0 Aug 20, 2007 - PC title
Perfect Dark Zero 9.0 Nov 21, 2005
Guitar Hero II 8.9 Apr 3, 2007
Call of Duty 3 8.8 Nov 8, 2006 - PC title
Burnout Revenge 8.8 Mar 6, 2006
Dead or Alive 4 8.8 Jan 1, 2006
Project Gotham Racing 3 8.8 Nov 18, 2005
Call of Duty 2 8.8 Nov 15, 2005 - PC title
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars 8.7 May 8, 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 8.7 Mar 8, 2007
Kameo: Elements of Power 8.7 Nov 15, 2005
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles 8.6 Mar 28, 2007
F.E.A.R. - PC title

I highlighted the games that are FPS, correct me if I'm wrong on some of these.

Out of the top 22 games, 13 of them are FPS, that is over half.
Hmm, it seems nearly all of the FPSes that makes up the 360 are PC titles. The reason there is so many on 360? To attract PC gamers.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a big fan of any of nintendo's main franchises (Mario, Metroid, and Zelda) except Smash bros and I hate motion sensing. I want to get a Wii for Brawl but I dont know if I can bring my self to do it... it doesn't seem like that system will have anything else to offer for me. It seems like the only other games the Wii will ever have are party games and more mario/metroid/zelda. What else is coming to the Wii that would make it worth getting? I really want one for brawl.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
  • Wii Sports (11.86 million)
  • Wii Play (6.32 million)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3.61 million)
  • Mario Party 8 (2.89 million)
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)
  • Super Paper Mario (1.74 million)
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (1.38 million)
  • Mario Strikers Charged (1.33 million)
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids (1 million)
  • Red Steel (1 million)

The top selling Wii games, according to Wikipedia. Now, if the Wii has games that appeal to the hardcore audience, why is that not evident with this list? Wii Play is a collection of minigames, as is Mario Party 8, as is Wario Ware, as is Rayman. The Wii also has an average attach rate of 3 games per console, while the PS3 sits at 2 and the 360 is at 7. The 360 had an attach rate of 5 games per console at this time last year, showing the 360 has a broader appeal when it comes to games. Obviously there are a ton of gamers out there who owns Wiis like myself, who like what the system is capable of, but just can't find any games that are worth picking up.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
  • Wii Sports (11.86 million)
  • Wii Play (6.32 million)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3.61 million)
  • Mario Party 8 (2.89 million)
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)
  • Super Paper Mario (1.74 million)
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (1.38 million)
  • Mario Strikers Charged (1.33 million)
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids (1 million)
  • Red Steel (1 million)

The top selling Wii games, according to Wikipedia. Now, if the Wii has games that appeal to the hardcore audience, why is that not evident with this list? Wii Play is a collection of minigames, as is Mario Party 8, as is Wario Ware, as is Rayman. The Wii also has an average attach rate of 3 games per console, while the PS3 sits at 2 and the 360 is at 7. The 360 had an attach rate of 5 games per console at this time last year, showing the 360 has a broader appeal when it comes to games. Obviously there are a ton of gamers out there who owns Wiis like myself, who like what the system is capable of, but just can't find any games that are worth picking up.
First off, can you explain what the meaning of attatch rate is? Im not familiar with the term.

I'll give you that list is weak, but how many games are coming out now that will change that list.

Metroid Prime 3
Zack and Wiki
Super Mario Galaxies
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Manhunt 2
Nights
BiWii

And many more games that haven't come out yet, or have been out for a very short amount of time.

Also, you noted about Halo Wars breaking off of the FPS Halo, and thus making the Halo series fresh and inovative. But can't the same be said about the Mario Games?

Mario appeared in multiple rpgs, multiple sports games, and multpiple party games. I'll give you that not all of these were sucesses, but many of them were. So you can't say all the mario games are all the same.

And finally speaking abou the Halo Movie. That production has been on and off of production, and it seems like it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Just because it's being made into a movie, doesn't credit it anything. I'll just bring up any past video game movie, and even the worst one of them all, Super Mario Brothers as examples of video games to movies that failed.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The attach rate is the amount of games that owners are buying for the system. So again, on average, Wii owners own 3 games, PS3 owners own 2, 360 owners own 7.

Regarding Halo Wars, it's nothing like Mario Party, Kart, Tennis, Baseball, Soccer. Halo Wars is about the Human-Covenant war when Spartans were in greater numbers, before the events of Halo 1. It's a real-time strategy game because it's much easier to showcase huge battles in the genre than others and it creates a nice throw back to what Halo originally was. It's all part of the same series though, whereas Nintendo has made multiple series out of Mario. And err, why even bring up the Halo movie? I wasn't referring to the movie when I mentioned Peter Jackson's Halo project. I was referring to the actual Halo game he's making that nothing has been revealed about.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've had a Wii since launch and a 360 since Sep 25. Since the 25th, I've only turned on my Wii once to play Melee on. I haven't been drawn to any Wii games for a couple months now.

I played Metroid Prime 3, and was disappointed a bit. I didn't even finish it, actually. Halo 3 came out before I got done and I never could go back.

Halo 3 spoils you. Now whenever I do something cool or amazing in any other game, I instantly feel depressed that it's not being automatically saved for future viewing. Not to mention the host of other features the game has. So many features.

Mario Galaxy looks great, and of course Brawl, but beyond that I'm not sure how much time my Wii will take away from my time from Halo, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect.

EDIT: The attach rate for Wii can be sort of skewed since they count Wii sports as a game. Similarly for Wii play being the most sold Wii game. It's only that way because it comes with the remote. If it were sold on its own for $10, the total sold number would be much lower.

Lol, I remember hearing that the PS3 had an attach rate of lower than 1 for a while after launch because of all the people buying them just to sell them on ebay.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wii has way less hits than PS3 and Xbox do, Nintendo once again has the short stick this gen in terms of third party support.

Yes the 1st party games are great [getting old, so it's harder to enjoy], yes the occasional 3rd party is great but they are few and far in-between. Normally you can tell a Wii owner and what games they're waiting for because there's a lack of variety.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a big fan of any of nintendo's main franchises (Mario, Metroid, and Zelda) except Smash bros and I hate motion sensing. I want to get a Wii for Brawl but I dont know if I can bring my self to do it... it doesn't seem like that system will have anything else to offer for me. It seems like the only other games the Wii will ever have are party games and more mario/metroid/zelda. What else is coming to the Wii that would make it worth getting? I really want one for brawl.
nope nothing other than brawl is keeping me from selling it

Red Exodus

Smash Master
At the moment: 360>Wii>Pichu>PS3.
After Brawl: Wii>360>Pichu>PS3.

'Nuff said.
In case you didn't realize, this isn't the Brawl section so one-liners are as useful as a ejection seat in a helicopter.

One game is not going to magically make the Wii better. What will happen 6 months from Brawls release when people want something other than Brawl?

Halo came out in September, Bioshock came just before or after that, Mass Effect is coming soon and COD 4 is also coming soon. PS3 is getting more 3rd parties than Wii, but since 360 is getting most of those 3rd parties more people bought the 360, but at least they still get a good number of games.

Wii is being pitched as a shallow 'just for kicks' type of console. Everyone is just abusing the motion sensing like it's a fad and I don't see an end to this. Nintendo is allowing anyone and everyone to make games for their consoles while basically ignoring quality assurance.

The way things are going I don't expect to see Wii's motion sensing or online potential maximized.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
In case you didn't realize, this isn't the Brawl section so one-liners are as useful as a ejection seat in a helicopter.

One game is not going to magically make the Wii better. What will happen 6 months from Brawls release when people want something other than Brawl?

Halo came out in September, Bioshock came just before or after that, Mass Effect is coming soon and COD 4 is also coming soon. PS3 is getting more 3rd parties than Wii, but since 360 is getting most of those 3rd parties more people bought the 360, but at least they still get a good number of games.

Wii is being pitched as a shallow 'just for kicks' type of console. Everyone is just abusing the motion sensing like it's a fad and I don't see an end to this. Nintendo is allowing anyone and everyone to make games for their consoles while basically ignoring quality assurance.

The way things are going I don't expect to see Wii's motion sensing or online potential maximized.
Are you serious, no Third Party Support?

It's been one freaking year, developers are starting to get the feel for the Wii.

Alone in the Dark Confirmed for the Wii
The Force Unleashed for the Wii
Rock Band is rumored to be coming to the Wii
Capcom has had success with Zack and Wiki
Heck, even Assassains Creed has been rumored to coming to the Wii.

Not to mention there are some under the radar games in Mushroom Men, and Soul Caliber Legends.
And don't forget Nights, which was considered to be one of the best games for the Dream Cast, and the sequel looks amazing.

FPS are starting to jump on board as well. MoH H2 is going to prove that a good FPS can be made on the Wii. It's said to have better controls than MP3. Plus it has 32 person Online. Give the Wii a chance. I love how you naysayers are saying how bad the Wii's third party support is, when alot of the PS3 developers are jumping ship, and going to the Wii.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Are you serious, no Third Party Support?

It's been one freaking year, developers are starting to get the feel for the Wii.

Alone in the Dark Confirmed for the Wii
The Force Unleashed for the Wii
Rock Band is rumored to be coming to the Wii
Capcom has had success with Zack and Wiki
Heck, even Assassains Creed has been rumored to coming to the Wii.

Not to mention there are some under the radar games in Mushroom Men, and Soul Caliber Legends.
And don't forget Nights, which was considered to be one of the best games for the Dream Cast, and the sequel looks amazing.

FPS are starting to jump on board as well. MoH H2 is going to prove that a good FPS can be made on the Wii. It's said to have better controls than MP3. Plus it has 32 person Online. Give the Wii a chance. I love how you naysayers are saying how bad the Wii's third party support is, when alot of the PS3 developers are jumping ship, and going to the Wii.

I'm only seeing special treamtent on the Wii. Where's Oblivion? Where's Army of 2? Where's Soul Calibur 4? Where's Burnout Paradise? All of these games are coming out for both Xbox and ps3, none have been announced for the Wii.

The reason people talk about Wii60 is because Xbox [as well as ps3] gets the main games that try to make a difference. I almost never hear of the games you mentioned on the Wii. It's almost like what happened last gen is happened again this gen.

All Wii gets is special treatment, and it's annoying. I'd like to be able to feel content with only a Wii but I can't because it's missing out on a lot.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree--many 3rd party games are going 360/PS3 without Wii. I want Soul Calibur 4, not Soul Calibur Legends!

But I predict that there will be a line of (eventually) competent FPS and RTS games for the Wii from 3rd parties in the near future (since I can't really see Nintendo pulling these genres off well). FPS has already been proven and developers will jump on the bandwagon. RTS controls are even more natural than FPS controls, so I see this genre becoming pretty big soon--all we need is someone to make the first move.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You're over exaggerating the popularity of Brawl to non-nintendo fans. The vast majority of people who will buy Brawl most likely already have a Wii already, as they're Nintendo fans. Lots of other people do play SSB that aren't, but as they only play it around once a year as a party game, they're not going to go rushing out to buy a system for it.

That said, I'm upset with the fact that the Wii has terrible games. Zelda is awesome, Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 are both very meh, and while Galaxy is probably awesome (I haven't boughten it yet), it seems really short. Even if it isn't, though, that's two awesome games in a single year.

I'm really wishing I had an Xbox 360. I'm trying to find a job for money, which now would firstly be spent on that, but can't. I would sell the Wii, but I like Zelda games too much, and I hope that the Wii can eventually gain good games. But Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Dead Rising, and GTA4 all call to me much more then an upcoming...nothing. Seriously, what does the Wii have now that is coming out? Brawl, and then what? No more Heroes?

By and large, I'm upset with it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
^That's the point I've been making Eor, Wii doesn't have enough in between games to keep interest afloat. Yes, they first party stuff is generally good, yes there are random gems that show up, but that isn't enough.

I have to say, numbers don't mean that much. Ps3 isn't selling well but it's getting good games even if they are also on Xbox 360. Wii might be selling like hotcakes but the software is severely lacking.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
^That's the point I've been making Eor, Wii doesn't have enough in between games to keep interest afloat. Yes, they first party stuff is generally good, yes there are random gems that show up, but that isn't enough.

I have to say, numbers don't mean that much. Ps3 isn't selling well but it's getting good games even if they are also on Xbox 360. Wii might be selling like hotcakes but the software is severely lacking.
The Wii was/is an impulse buy. It's cheap, it's quirky, but it has nothing to keep you hooked long term. 360 has Halo and the like and PS3 has some really good games out now as well. Numbers, right now, do mean nothing. The PS2 had a slow start and was touted as too expensive for it's gen as well and the XBox was declared as worthless trash that was too big, both of which had pretty good showings later on in the gen. The only thing stopping Sony from breaking through is the format wars, HD-DVD is inferior to Blu-Ray (so much so, I bought a PS3 over a 360 pretty much based on this), but the longer HD-DVD tries to compete, the longer we wait for good, cheap movies and such.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I haven't been following the conversation here, but I thought I'd weigh in.

You're over exaggerating the popularity of Brawl to non-nintendo fans. The vast majority of people who will buy Brawl most likely already have a Wii already, as they're Nintendo fans. Lots of other people do play SSB that aren't, but as they only play it around once a year as a party game, they're not going to go rushing out to buy a system for it.
Honestly, I do know several people at my university who are holding out for Brawl before buying the Wii. Take that for what you will.

That said, I'm upset with the fact that the Wii has terrible games. Zelda is awesome, Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 are both very meh, and while Galaxy is probably awesome (I haven't boughten it yet), it seems really short. Even if it isn't, though, that's two awesome games in a single year.
Every system has terrible games. But I think everyone will agree that it is not the presence of bad games that hurts a console, but the lack of good games.

However, I personally disagree with some of your judgemnts. SPM, while not a killer app, is most certainly worth playing. Prime 3 meh? I can't see it. I thought it was perhaps the finest instalment in the series.

Also, I would count Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition as an awesome game (though it could be becuase I never played the GC version) and I'm currently emersed in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. And, though I lack the free time or money to check them out right now, I'm very interested in Zack and Wiki, Battaleon Wars 2 (LOVED the original), Guitar Hero 3 and RE: Umbrella Chronicles. Not to mention a ton of awesome VC titles like Sin and Punishment.

So, while not for everyone, the Wii does have more to offer than 2 great games.

I'm really wishing I had an Xbox 360. I'm trying to find a job for money, which now would firstly be spent on that, but can't. I would sell the Wii, but I like Zelda games too much, and I hope that the Wii can eventually gain good games. But Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Dead Rising, and GTA4 all call to me much more then an upcoming...nothing. Seriously, what does the Wii have now that is coming out? Brawl, and then what? No more Heroes?

By and large, I'm upset with it.
Yes, the Wii has No More Heroes. And it is going to rock.

Other 2008 titles of interest include Project O, Monster Hunter 3, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy: The Chystal Bearers, and Animal Crossing.

Oh, and some game called Super Smash Bros Brawl. Might be a fun rental.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Honestly, I do know several people at my university who are holding out for Brawl before buying the Wii. Take that for what you will.
Can't really argue with that, but I don't know anyone who is. Half and half, we can take that part out.

Every system has terrible games. But I think everyone will agree that it is not the presence of bad games that hurts a console, but the lack of good games.
Which is my complaint with the Wii

However, I personally disagree with some of your judgemnts. SPM, while not a killer app, is most certainly worth playing. Prime 3 meh? I can't see it. I thought it was perhaps the finest instalment in the series.
SPM is ok, and if I put it in I'll play it, but it doesn't make me want to play it. It's not fun enough to drive me to it.

MP3 is very meh to me, and I think it's because the progression is boring. I'm still on Bryyo (where I gave up), but so far it's just "Go here, then here, then here, then here", where you're lead by a voice. In MP1, there was a natural progression. Also, the weapon upgrades are terrible. I don't feel like I'm getting an upgrade, since almost nothing changes. But like always, this is a personal opinion. I was stating my reasons why I dislike the Wii, not why it's a terrible system. Though I believe plenty of people agree with me, I usually hold pretty popular views on video games.

Also, I would count Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition as an awesome game (though it could be becuase I never played the GC version)
I have, and it's just a port. I'm not paying $50 for a new feature on a game I already have.

and I'm currently emersed in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
Never interested me

Zack and Wiki
The adventure game in anime style with the monkey that make the most annoying noise ever? I"ll pass on it, I was never into those games where you click and your guy moves. Might be a good game, but isn't for me.

Battaleon Wars 2 (LOVED the original)
Never played the original, but everything said it didn't have much stratagy. I'll stick with CC3

Guitar Hero 3
On every system

and RE: Umbrella Chronicles.
Lol rail shooter. A no to me. I'd pay around $20, at most, for a rail shooter. not 50.

Not to mention a ton of awesome VC titles like Sin and Punishment.
You can't include past games in order to say the system has great titles. That's like me saying the Wii is amazing because it has Mario sunshine or Wind Waker.

So, while not for everyone, the Wii does have more to offer than 2 great games.
For some.

Yes, the Wii has No More Heroes. And it is going to rock.
It'll probably be good. I'll most likely buy it.

Other 2008 titles of interest include Project O, Monster Hunter 3, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy: The Chystal Bearers, and Animal Crossing.
Haven't heard of any of those games, so I can't really comment on them, but games like Mario Kart are only fun with people, and none of my friends have a Wii, and I'm not going to buy more $50 controllers just so my friends can play, nor have I set my Wii online, or plan to pay the money to do so when it has such a terrible online system.

Oh, and some game called Super Smash Bros Brawl. Might be a fun rental.
I've mentioned that game, what, three times in my post? And yeah, I'm not sure if I'll buy it or not. For a while I was thinking about getting into competition and stuff, but really, I hate taking games that seriously. And if I'm betting money on it, I probably would. I might buy it, because with friends they only need Gamecube controllers, and I might go online, but I'm not sure.

I can be considered casual in that I actually don't buy many games, but those games I do buy I want to be amazing, fun, and long lasting. The Wii isn't cutting it for me. The games it has that are fun are great, but their aren't enough of them, which is why I wish I had an Xbox 360 to fill me in while I wait the year or so for the next hardcore Wii game

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
you put that into the equation then the 360 rises even higher, and the wii drops below the ps3
Of course the 360 has a better library of games. It's been out for two years. For a year old console, however, I would argue that the Wii has more compelling games than the 360 had one year in. People forget how sparse the number of great 360 games were prior to Gears.

I can't speak to PS3, but my point was that there actually ISN'T a lack of quality games on Wii. From my perspective, there are four "Must Buy" games (Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Resident Evil 4) and while like Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Guitar Hero 3 are genres that won't appeal to everyone they are by no means bad. Which is not to mention the HUNDREDS of gems on Virtual Console.

Some people assume that because the 360 is a great console, anything that isn't as great is automatically bad. I say that for a year old console, the Wii is a fantastic purchase.

@ Eor: Hold on a sec. You posted while I was typing...

SPM is ok, and if I put it in I'll play it, but it doesn't make me want to play it. It's not fun enough to drive me to it.
I thought it was a fun rental, but not the best in the series. Personally, I don't regret having played it.

MP3 is very meh to me, and I think it's because the progression is boring. I'm still on Bryyo (where I gave up), but so far it's just "Go here, then here, then here, then here", where you're lead by a voice. In MP1, there was a natural progression. Also, the weapon upgrades are terrible. I don't feel like I'm getting an upgrade, since almost nothing changes. But like always, this is a personal opinion. I was stating my reasons why I dislike the Wii, not why it's a terrible system. Though I believe plenty of people agree with me, I usually hold pretty popular views on video games.
While you are lead along more in Prime 3, the lack of bachtracking made the game for enjoyable, in my estimation. Are you using the advanced control setting? It's ALOT more enjoyable.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I know the Wii is not for everyone. I'm just trying to explain what some people see in it.

I have, and it's just a port. I'm not paying $50 for a new feature on a game I already have.
Actaully, it is only $30. Maybe not worth it for those who've played it, but a total steal for me.

Never interested me
It's a love it or hate it game. For tactical RPG nuts, it's heaven.

The adventure game in anime style with the monkey that make the most annoying noise ever? I"ll pass on it, I was never into those games where you click and your guy moves. Might be a good game, but isn't for me.
I've heard good things. But I'm reserving judgement.

Never played the original, but everything said it didn't have much stratagy. I'll stick with CC3
The first was the perfect blend of strategy and action. Give it a chance and you might be surprised.

On every system
A great game is still a great game, even if it's on other systems.

Lol rail shooter. A no to me. I'd pay around $20, at most, for a rail shooter. not 50.
Rental for me.

You can't include past games in order to say the system has great titles. That's like me saying the Wii is amazing because it has Mario sunshine or Wind Waker.
Honestly, it depends. If I hadn't already played the Gamecube greats like Wind Waker and Pikmin 2, then I would totally see those titles as reasons to buy a Wii. Since I've already played them.

HOWEVER I haven't played Sin and Punishment before, and I'm having a blast with it. Like I said, a great game is a great game.

For some.
Just like you said, it's a matter of opinion. Different people like different things.

It'll probably be good. I'll most likely buy it.
Great to hear it. I'm afraid that we'll be the only ones, since it's coming out the same month as Brawl.

Haven't heard of any of those games, so I can't really comment on them, but games like Mario Kart are only fun with people, and none of my friends have a Wii, and I'm not going to buy more $50 controllers just so my friends can play, nor have I set my Wii online, or plan to pay the money to do so when it has such a terrible online system.
Monster Hunter 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/117119.html

Crystal Bearers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/68028.html

Project O: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/109652.html

Also, Mario Kart Wii supports 16 player onlineplay. So there will always be people to have fun with.

I've mentioned that game, what, three times in my post? And yeah, I'm not sure if I'll buy it or not. For a while I was thinking about getting into competition and stuff, but really, I hate taking games that seriously. And if I'm betting money on it, I probably would. I might buy it, because with friends they only need Gamecube controllers, and I might go online, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, I know you touched on it but I'm not sure you give full credit to how huge of a deal it is to many gamers. In my circle of friends, it's seen as the game to end all games.

I can be considered casual in that I actually don't buy many games, but those games I do buy I want to be amazing, fun, and long lasting. The Wii isn't cutting it for me. The games it has that are fun are great, but their aren't enough of them, which is why I wish I had an Xbox 360 to fill me in while I wait the year or so for the next hardcore Wii game
If you don't care for what the Wii has to offer, that's fine. Different people, different tastes. But saying that the systems lacks quality games is just false. For people who enjoy what the Wii has to offer (Battaleon War 2, Fire Emblem, Zack and Wiki, the Virtual Console) the Wii is arguably the best of the three consoles.

If you would rather own another system, that's fine. But don't fault the Wii for being something it isn't.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm faulting it for it's lack of hardcore and more mature games, like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, or GTA4 or any other game like that. Those are the type of games I like. Wii is a casual system, in my mind, and personally that's not what I want, which is really all that I'm trying to say.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm faulting it for it's lack of hardcore and more mature games, like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, or GTA4 or any other game like that. Those are the type of games I like. Wii is a casual system, in my mind, and personally that's not what I want, which is really all that I'm trying to say.
I wouldn't exactly call Fire Emblem, Battaleon Wars or Sin & Punishment "casual", though it's perfectly fair to say that they aren't games that you personally like. Similarly, the 360's lack of whimsical, unconventional titles is why it doesn't really appeal to me. Again, different people like different things.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Oh god this entire conversation makes me think:

-Wii is better for playing with friends, solo-games like Zelda, Metroid or Mario are very uncommon.
"I'm not going to buy more $50 controllers just so my friends can play" - Eor - (lol, every Wii owner has that dilemma)

-Xbox 360's list of games is awesome, Wii's list of games is increasing little by little, but now xbox has the best.

-Wii lacks of hardcore games next to XboX 360
"I wish I had an Xbox 360 to fill me in while I wait the year or so for the next hardcore Wii game" - Eor-
(something I've been thinking about)

-On the other hand...
"I say that for a year old console, the Wii is a fantastic purchase." - Wiseguy -
(that's totally true, I'm expecting a spectacular 2008 for Wii)

greenblob

Smash Lord
The lack of good games for the Wii wouldn't be as much of a problem if more games had a competent online mode.

But maybe that's b/c I'm a "one game gamer." I tend to play one game exclusively for a very long period.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
nor have I set my Wii online, or plan to pay the money to do so when it has such a terrible online system.
Online is free. ;)
Ugh. Are these the games to get for the Wii? I dont know anything about Monster Hunter, but I found the original Christal Chronicals boring and repetitive, and Project O looks awful.

From my point of view, all three systems are lacking. The problem with the Wii has been stated numerous times alrready. The games on the 360 like Halo 3, Gears of War, or The Orange Box aren't games I would pay more than twenty dollars each for. And PS3 just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Little Big Planet looks sooo lame. I can sort of see why people would look forward to this, but it's just not me.

Curse all three systems! I cant believe I'm spending more time watching anime than I am playing video games.

And I regret buying Zack and Wiki. :(

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
NAY to bad online I say Nay. Just play Medal of Honor Heroes 2, the online is the best yet for the Wii, and is very robust.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
why commonyoshi? wasn't Zack and Wiki one of the bests third party games on wii?

Seems like third parties are very reduced to Nintendo's own games.

The difference between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is that Nintendo can survive on his own.
nintendo only on games, no back up after they officially say what we all know, the wii is a flop

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
why commonyoshi? wasn't Zack and Wiki one of the bests third party games on wii?
That's not saying much. :laugh:
Not to side track this topic about Zack and Wiki, but the game just doesn't captivate me and want me to play it immediately returning from school like Zelda or Phoenix Wright. It's good, but no that good. And certainly not even forty dollars good. >_>
nintendo only on games, no back up after they officially say what we all know, the wii is a flop
Ugh, you're so redundant I know exactly what your posts will say before even reading them.

The numbers mock you. You may hate it for whatever reasons you have, but to call it a flop at this point is just incorrect if you're speaking on how well it's selling. Maybe a year from now you'll be correct, just not now.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, **** the consoles. I'm coming more and more to the realization that no matter how much money is thrown at them, they will never be able to compete with the PC in gaming. I have FretsOnFire, which is free and customizable, and actually better than Guitar Hero in a ton of aspects for free. FPSes play better on Keyboard and mouse - period. Same with RTSes. For the other titles, you can buy a controller exactly like any of the consoles, including the Wiimote, which I am considering buying just to mess around in some games.

I just find this gen to be all about over-hype, lack of diversity, and lack of depth. AC - Overhype. I bought a PS3 for this when it was still believed to be exclusive. Lack of diversity - 360 pretty much is a shooter haven, Wii has too many mini-game compilations, PS3 doesn't have **** save for 2 to 3 games.

Finally, the thing that really gets me down lately with consoles is the word "exclusive". Now, it doesn't mean a **** thing. Games called exclusive now, are usually seen on other consoles within a few months after the release on another, like Lost Planet for example. I just find the gen if fill with homogeneity, repetitious, broken promises, and deprivation. I dunno, maybe I am just being overly critical because if you read all the console hate on other sites, it's stupid and quite annoying. Ich bin müde.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, **** the consoles. I'm coming more and more to the realization that no matter how much money is thrown at them, they will never be able to compete with the PC in gaming. I have FretsOnFire, which is free and customizable, and actually better than Guitar Hero in a ton of aspects for free. FPSes play better on Keyboard and mouse - period. Same with RTSes. For the other titles, you can buy a controller exactly like any of the consoles, including the Wiimote, which I am considering buying just to mess around in some games.

I just find this gen to be all about over-hype, lack of diversity, and lack of depth. AC - Overhype. I bought a PS3 for this when it was still believed to be exclusive. Lack of diversity - 360 pretty much is a shooter haven, Wii has too many mini-game compilations, PS3 doesn't have **** save for 2 to 3 games.

Finally, the thing that really gets me down lately with consoles is the word "exclusive". Now, it doesn't mean a **** thing. Games called exclusive now, are usually seen on other consoles within a few months after the release on another, like Lost Planet for example. I just find the gen if fill with homogeneity, repetitious, broken promises, and deprivation. I dunno, maybe I am just being overly critical because if you read all the console hate on other sites, it's stupid and quite annoying. Ich bin müde.

Consoles are still great along with the PC. I dont know why everyone has to take sides and only have one or the other. The only next gen console I have now is the 360, mainly because it has so many great games (and they're not only fps's) and xbox live. I sort of want a Wii for brawl, but I dont know if I can bring my self to do it, I hate motion control and I'm not really interested in the rest of nintendo's titles. I'll probably end up getting a PS3 though because I love Sony's titles, God of War 2 and Shadow of the Colossus are two of the greatest games out in my opinion.

PS3 also has Hideo Kojima, who has got a great philosophy concerning game design:

Hideo Kojima said:
The 21st century isn't about "selling good things" or "good games finding success."
It's about finding a hit business for everybody, be it movies, music, or publications.
However, lucky hits have no face (GENE). This era (SCENE) has no memory.
Even if a product makes a profit, no memories (MEME) are left behind.
With games, before there was business, there was a culture.
Are games simply products that help you gleefully kill time?
Are games just a tool for big corporations to make profit?
Kojima Productions is a group of creators. We want to send out "products
with faces" to the world.
We want to sponser quality products that are worth spending
your precious time on.
An era of "selling great products" is something we aim to usher in
-- it's our mission as Kojima Productions. It's our mission (SENSE).
But anyways, consoles still bring alot of great games to the table, and it's nice to sit back on a couch and play it on your tv.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Back in the day, the easy argument was that console gaming was cheaper than PC gaming. A PC that could play games a couple or more years ago used to cost well over a thousand dollars. (And would be obsolete in a year)

High end gaming PC's still cost over a thousand, but your average game can be played on a $300-400 PC nowadays. It might be closer, but I'd still say that console gaming is cheaper. Especially if you want to be able to play more than "average" games.

If you have a PC that you game on regularly, how much have you spent on it? Personally I have a PC I built myself... must have dropped around $700-800.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Back in the day, the easy argument was that console gaming was cheaper than PC gaming. A PC that could play games a couple or more years ago used to cost well over a thousand dollars. (And would be obsolete in a year)

High end gaming PC's still cost over a thousand, but your average game can be played on a $300-400 PC nowadays. It might be closer, but I'd still say that console gaming is cheaper. Especially if you want to be able to play more than "average" games.

If you have a PC that you game on regularly, how much have you spent on it? Personally I have a PC I built myself... must have dropped around $700-800.
I updated the RAM, about to update the graphics card, processor and Windows Vista to Ultimate. That'll last me a couple more years. Custom computers are great because of this for sure. I really am considering getting a custom laptop eventually, just because they go out of date faster.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd love to get a high end PC but I can't afford it. When I get a job I'll save up for one [I'm talking really high end, maybe $2000+, as long as I still have money left over] but right now I'm only able to keep up with consoles.

I wasn't ready for this gen to come. I was pretty pissed when I heard about it and I still wish it hadn't come yet. This gen started out pretty rocky for all of the consoles and so far it's okay but it's filled with overhype. I can't count how many times I've heard of a revolutionary game coming out only to have it feel rushed and poorly done.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, you're so redundant I know exactly what your posts will say before even reading them.

The numbers mock you. You may hate it for whatever reasons you have, but to call it a flop at this point is just incorrect if you're speaking on how well it's selling. Maybe a year from now you'll be correct, just not now.
*coughlongtermobviouslycough*
let me put it this way, the wii's sales are like liquid, not sturdy or supportive. if nintendo doesn't solidify them, they will fall apart and damage the structures below. the only way to solidify it, is by making good quality games often, not every once in a while. the wii by far had the most potential at launch, but it is squandering it on repeditive lack of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom