• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I fail to understand why those types of games wouldn't work on a PC. My friend plays Street Fighter on his PC and it works just fine. It works better than the console version, actually, since you can get better sticks for the PC.
I'm not considering any extra peripherals you might or might not have for the PC. I'm also not taking the Wii controller into account, or any of the other specialized controllers you might have for any of the consoles.

If I did that, it would become pretty much impossible to make any distinction between PCs and consoles about which genres play better.

greenblob

Smash Lord
But why wouldn't you count USB gamepads? That's like saying you won't count the Classic Controller for the Wii since then you would be comparing traditional controls with both motion/pointer controls and traditional controls.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Because then you may as well count every peripheral for every system. If it wasnt made by the developer for the software or hardward producer, then it shouldnt count, otherwise there's no end to the peripherals you could include for anything.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Haha, the PS3 will have exactly 0 AAA exclusives (games that average in the 90's or higher) by the end of christmas. The supposed 'good' PS3 lineup consists of rehashed sports titles mainly (like, 50% or so).
The definition of what makes a AAA title varies from person to person and has never had one definition. Some people use sales to determine what a AAA title is. According to their definition Okami isn't a AAA title. I strongly disagree.

Even if it was such a simple task I'd rather play the console with 0 AAA titles and a ton of great games than the one with 1 AAA tile and a few good games.

Yes, but 2 of the 3 games can be played on two superior platforms, and one (assassins creed) was more hype than bite. That essentially makes the PS3 useless.
Not really, as I said you can't play those on the Wii. I suppose that makes the Wii useless right? The point was is that these are games that are available to PS3 owners and not Wii owners. That's why I mentioned the exclusives of each system first. Because each system has their first party titles. The PS3 just has the advantage of also having good 3rd party games.

No, that's not very likely. The PS3 had a boost because it's 40 gig model was released. Sales spiked, and while they beat them again this week sales dropped off quite a bit. Same thing happened to the PSP in Japan, when its slim model was released sales spiked then settled below the DS again. In any case, this is only Japan.
If you read the rest of my post you would have seen I wasn't talking about total sales. Notice how I pointed out specific regions and games? You are actually reading my post right?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
:Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, on the other hand, is an awesome game by any standard that is well worth the asking price.
I'd have to debate taht. I found WW DS was much better in all things, with the exception of Multiplayer, and even then the GC version was much more enjoyable Multiplayer. SWapping the wiimote for everything =/= fun. :urg:

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'd have to debate taht. I found WW DS was much better in all things, with the exception of Multiplayer, and even then the GC version was much more enjoyable Multiplayer. SWapping the wiimote for everything =/= fun. :urg:
Well, it was the WW game I've played so I can't really compare. All I know is that I found it almost as much fun watching my friends make fools of themselves playing the game as I did actually playing it myself. As a party game, I've got alot of enjoyment out of it.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
in my opinion the only thing that keeps the wii from being the worse nextgen out there is the ps3's bad backward compatibility. the 360 and the ps3 both have alot better games that are fun, good gameplay, and origanality (mario and zelda have had that catagory sucked dry). they don't realise that their stength isn't in making games, but at making something marketly good, such as the gameboy's battery life, or the N64's 64bit power. the cube failled because of the same reason the wii will evenually fail, the heart of any consol, the games.

bored

Smash Ace
I have rather a love/hate relationship with the Wii, and really it doesn't deserve all the hype it has been getting recently. It's pretty much a glorified gamecube with motion sensing added to it.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
in my opinion the only thing that keeps the wii from being the worse nextgen out there is the ps3's bad backward compatibility. the 360 and the ps3 both have alot better games that are fun, good gameplay, and origanality (mario and zelda have had that catagory sucked dry). they don't realise that their stength isn't in making games, but at making something marketly good, such as the gameboy's battery life, or the N64's 64bit power. the cube failled because of the same reason the wii will evenually fail, the heart of any consol, the games.
By what standard did the Gamecube "fail"? Go onto Metacritic or game rankings and you'll see a disproportionately high number of Gamecube games got top marks from reviewers. And in the hearts of many gamers (myself included) there are many fond memories of playing great Gamecube titles like Pikmin 1&2, Metroid Prime 1&2, Baten Kaitos 1&2, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia, Soul Calibur 2, ect. Hardly a library limited to only Mario and Zelda (though those were excellent games as well).

Neither the Gamecube nor the Xbox 1 made as much money as the PS2, but they were still profitable systems for their respective comanies. I don't think it's accurate to call any of the prevous generation systems a failure.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I have rather a love/hate relationship with the Wii, and really it doesn't deserve all the hype it has been getting recently. It's pretty much a glorified gamecube with motion sensing added to it.
Looking at a game like Metroid Prime 3 or Brawl, it's clear that the Wii has slightly more graphical muscle than the Gamecube. Roughly in the same leauge as the Xbox 1 would be my estimate. So if you are looking for a technological leap, the Wii is not for you.

That's not really a flaw with the system, just a design choice. Some people are in the market for a no-frills, standard definition console. But what the Wii lacks in cutting edgetechnology I would argue it makes up for in its growing library of great software like Battaleon Wars 2, Fie Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Geometry Wars Galaxies and Sin & Punishment (on virtual console).

But it is accurate to call the PS2 the overwhelming winner of last generation.
I would agree with that. The PS2 most definitely had the most impressive library of games, but that doesn't mean the Gamecube and Xbox 1 didn't have great games as well.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
But it is accurate to call the PS2 the overwhelming winner of last generation.
yes yes and yes.

i wouldn't say the are xbox 1 graphics, rather around par with the ps2. the wii isn't pulling out good games fequently, there are just long gaps in between good games, (a few launch titles till MP3). i wouldn't be so angry at nintendo though if the actually attempted to target more than non-gamers hoping that fanboyism will cover the rest of there sales. for example, microsoft is attempting to target jappanese gamers by hiring legends to make some good rpgs.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
yes yes and yes.

i wouldn't say the are xbox 1 graphics, rather around par with the ps2. the wii isn't pulling out good games fequently, there are just long gaps in between good games, (a few launch titles till MP3). i wouldn't be so angry at nintendo though if the actually attempted to target more than non-gamers hoping that fanboyism will cover the rest of there sales. for example, microsoft is attempting to target jappanese gamers by hiring legends to make some good rpgs.

I have to disagree with you there man. The PS2 is certainly capable of some impressive graphics (God of War 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc.) but I've yet to see a PS2 game that stacks up to Prime 3 visually.

And yeah, every system has a drought in it's first year - the Wii being no expection. But with so many great games on the system lately (which I mentioned) and Brawl and No More Heroes just around the corner, I'm hoping the Wii has turned a corner.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
"The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games... I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console."

- Square Enix president Youichi Wada

Oh snaps.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
"The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games... I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console."

Oh snaps.
That's strange, last time I checked, not too many sqaure enix games are coming out for the XBox 360, while they are greatly supporting the Wii in terms of games.

Last time I checked, the 360 can't even appeal to Japanese gamers, let alone sqaure enix.

Congratulations, the 360 has sold 500,000 units in Japan! Keep it up, and you guys could have 1 million by the time the next Xbox comes out.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's strange, last time I checked, not too many sqaure enix games are coming out for the XBox 360, while they are greatly supporting the Wii in terms of games.

Last time I checked, the 360 can't even appeal to Japanese gamers, let alone sqaure enix.

Congratulations, the 360 has sold 500,000 units in Japan! Keep it up, and you guys could have 1 million by the time the next Xbox comes out.
Ironically, 360 is still outselling the Wii, so your jab was fruitless.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Oh snaps.
"Youichi Wada eats puppies for breakfast. Are you going to listen to a puppy eater?"

- Average gamer Wiseguy

Ironically, 360 is still outselling the Wii, so your jab was fruitless.
Are you talking worldwide sales or in North America? I was under the impression that the Wii has outsold the 360 in both areas this past year, surpasing the 360 globally.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer

Heh, last time I checked, Square Enix had two titles out for the 360 and two more confirmed in development, while they have three Wii games planned. But that's beside the point! I just wanted to you that even the President of Square Enix sees the Xbox 360 as the hardcore gamer console this generation. Knew I'd get a great response out of you by posting his comment.

edit:

Wiseguy/Eric - The Wii and 360 have been going back and forth. Before Halo 3 came out, the Wii was ahead, after Halo 3 came out, there was a surge for the 360 and it was back into first. Apparently the Wii is in first again now.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer

Oh snaps.
A bold statement. (lulz)

But I can't say I disagree with his general philosophy.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Youichi is spot on apart from the ps3, I think Sony knows where they want to go now, at least, I hope so.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with you there man. The PS2 is certainly capable of some impressive graphics (God of War 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc.) but I've yet to see a PS2 game that stacks up to Prime 3 visually.
they focus diffrently on graphics apparently (wii=artistic, sony=realistic, 360= all of the above) but overall graphics are more or less around par with the ps2.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
they focus diffrently on graphics apparently (wii=artistic, sony=realistic, 360= all of the above) but overall graphics are more or less around par with the ps2.
I'm not saying that the majority of Wii games look better than PS2 (Wii Sports, for instance, looks more like an N64 game) but the system itself is definitely capabale of better visuals when the developer knows what they are doing.

Heck, you just have to look at the PS2 and Gamecube versions of Resident Evil 4 to know that the Gamecube had more muscle. Metroid Prime 3's visuals are unquestionably technically superior to any PS2 or Gamecube game. I would even argue that it's slightly better than Halo 2 on the Xbox 1. Test out both and tell me I'm a liar.

Zink

Smash Champion
The Wii is much more powerful that the PS2, which was the weakest system last gen. The Wii is more like in between the two Xbox consoles. It's definitely significantly more powerful than anything last gen, although it is true that it does not approach the other two. Still, to compare it to last gen's power is fallacious.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I am now wanting to go back a year and buy a PS3 instead of a Wii. I thought that motion sensing was going to be the best and never get tired of it. What a mistake, it is only a novelty for about 1 month and then it wears off. There are hardly any MA games on the Wii, unlike PS3 which has the line-up of Assasins Creed, Call of Duty 4, Graft Theft Auto 4, Uncharted and not to forget the other non-MA games like Rachet and Clank. PS3 also has proper gamertags for online play other than stupid friend codes, god I hate those things. Ohh and lets not forget the graphics, they are beautiful. Yeeeeep Im now craving a PS3.

I really only bought a Wii for Brawl, Galaxy and Battalion Wars. I really hope come Febuary 10th that Brawl will not make me regret buying a Wii, because right now I am.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
I really only bought a Wii for Brawl, Galaxy and Battalion Wars. I really hope come Febuary 10th that Brawl will not make me regret buying a Wii, because right now I am.
That's what I felt.. after playing Zelda TP I thought "now what?"

But Brawl will break this for sure.

(Do you think Xbox 360 and PS3's users don't want a wii for playing games like mario, zelda, metroid or Brawl?)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I am now wanting to go back a year and buy a PS3 instead of a Wii. I thought that motion sensing was going to be the best and never get tired of it. What a mistake, it is only a novelty for about 1 month and then it wears off. There are hardly any MA games on the Wii, unlike PS3 which has the line-up of Assasins Creed, Call of Duty 4, Graft Theft Auto 4, Uncharted and not to forget the other non-MA games like Rachet and Clank. PS3 also has proper gamertags for online play other than stupid friend codes, god I hate those things. Ohh and lets not forget the graphics, they are beautiful. Yeeeeep Im now craving a PS3.

Obviously everyone's tastes differ, so perhaps the Wii isn't the console for you. However, short of buying a new console, here are some recomendations to pass the time until Brawl (I've assuming you know about and/or have played Twilight Princess & Prime 3. If not: SHAME!)

1) Buy a Classic Controller and download some virtual console games: Seriously, you can find some real gems. I suggest you start with Sin & Punishment as it is the personification of awesome. Also: Paper Mario 64, Super Metroid, Zelda NES.

2) At $30, you won't find a better deal than Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition: ...assuming you havn't already played it to death, but even then it is still worth it. The controls really, truly make the game better and is has all the polish of the Cube title with all the bonus content of the PS2 version. You can't go wrong.

3) Worth buying if you are a fan fan of the genre: Fire Emblem: RD, Guitar Hero3, Metal of Honor: Heroes 2 Are any of these games going to set the world on fire? Probably not. But I can attest that are good games worth the asking price. Fire Emblem in particular will really suck you in if you let it.

4) Rent, don't buy: Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Super Mario Strikers, Super Paper Mario These games are very fun - for a while. If you are a game-a-holic, you can probably blast thgrough each in a week (though you'll want to clear your squedule for SPM).

5) I haven't played, but want to check out: RE: Umbrella Chronicles & Zack and Wiki: I've heard good things, but I'm reserving judgement.

6) Brawl cometh, so hangeth in there: Brawl is not only worth the price of a Wii - it is worth the wait. Stage builder... online play... stickers.... what more could you want?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's what I felt.. after playing Zelda TP I thought "now what?"

But Brawl will break this for sure.

(Do you think Xbox 360 and PS3's users don't want a wii for playing games like mario, zelda, metroid or Brawl?)
I don't.

Just give it time. Once Brawl comes out, you'll probably forget all about it. It's a great time to buy a PS3 as you pretty much can be set with games for under a hundred bucks now. Just get Warhawk - $40, Drake's Fortune - $60. Good to go. Or Rachet and Clank, and a few PSN games.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I've been wanting to buy a 360 for a while now, I must confess, so I was wondering what games are good for the 360.

Im def looking at Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect, and I already know about all the other FPS,
but what other good games are on the 360 other than FPS that are good quality games?

I thought you could help me with this one Cashed.

And im not trying to be sarcastic, Im serious about getting one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I want a Wii but I think I'm going to regret getting one. I only want Brawl, MP3, Tales of Symphonia 2, Mario kart Wii, Battalion Wars and maybe Super Mario Galaxy [I don't know what's so great about it]. Other than that theres not much. I'm also going to get RE4 Wii edition only because I missed out on it for GC and PS2.

In the long run I'm looking towards Xbox because it has a strong stream of good to decent games coming out at least every 2 months.

bored

Smash Ace
I want a Wii but I think I'm going to regret getting one. I only want Brawl, MP3, Tales of Symphonia 2, Mario kart Wii, Battalion Wars and maybe Super Mario Galaxy [I don't know what's so great about it]. Other than that theres not much. I'm also going to get RE4 Wii edition only because I missed out on it for GC and PS2.

In the long run I'm looking towards Xbox because it has a strong stream of good to decent games coming out at least every 2 months.
Xbox definitely, The Wii is great and all, but it's novelty is wearing off and it won't keep you interested for long.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I've been wanting to buy a 360 for a while now, I must confess, so I was wondering what games are good for the 360.

Im def looking at Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect, and I already know about all the other FPS,
but what other good games are on the 360 other than FPS that are good quality games?

I thought you could help me with this one Cashed.

And im not trying to be sarcastic, Im serious about getting one.
"What Game Should I Get?" topic then.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
CK I'm between Xbox 360 and PS3 now...

but yeah, after Brawl, I don't have a single interest on wii games (except for a new Zelda... I've bought a Wii for playing it with new controllers... and I couldn't wait for the GameCube version)
It depends on preference. If you want games like Unchartered, God of War, the Ico games, Rachet and Clank, Jakk and Daxter, or Metal Gear Solid (which for the time being is staying exclusive) etc. Go with PS3. I really don't know any first party 360 games so I can't vouch for them but you have so many to choose from. I could spend $500 on just games if I got a 360. Also, there is Live. PSN is getting up to par with Live with downloadables, but not there yet. Live just has a ton of games to play that you could spend another hundred there. Multiplayer, PS3 doesn't have a ton of Multiplayer games, but Warhawk is all you need. It's a blast to play, it's free, and it has dedicated servers (as do most PS3 games, which XBL lacks).

It really depends what you want out of a game system. If you have an HD TV, get a PS3. Blu-Ray is the future of HD media, no matter what the naysayers say, and you can't go wrong with all the games you can get right now.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
1) Buy a Classic Controller and download some virtual console games: Seriously, you can find some real gems. I suggest you start with Sin & Punishment as it is the personification of awesome. Also: Paper Mario 64, Super Metroid, Zelda NES.
Ive got a classic controller but I only have Mario64 and Star Fox64. Im going to pick up Sin & Punishment and Super Metriod now, thanks for the suggestion!

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
It depends on preference. If you want games like Unchartered, God of War, the Ico games, Rachet and Clank, Jakk and Daxter, or Metal Gear Solid (which for the time being is staying exclusive) etc. Go with PS3. I really don't know any first party 360 games so I can't vouch for them but you have so many to choose from. I could spend $500 on just games if I got a 360. Also, there is Live. PSN is getting up to par with Live with downloadables, but not there yet. Live just has a ton of games to play that you could spend another hundred there. Multiplayer, PS3 doesn't have a ton of Multiplayer games, but Warhawk is all you need. It's a blast to play, it's free, and it has dedicated servers (as do most PS3 games, which XBL lacks).

It really depends what you want out of a game system. If you have an HD TV, get a PS3. Blu-Ray is the future of HD media, no matter what the naysayers say, and you can't go wrong with all the games you can get right now.
Now It's clearer :)

I thought the same, Live games and FPS (what I'm looking for because Wii doesn't have a single decent FPS game) on 360 are awesome.

But PS3's Blue Ray is impressive. The difference between normal DVD and Blue Ray just makes me buy a PS3 (and PS3 games seems to be a little bit more good looking too)

I guess I'll have to google some games CK, I'd buy 360 because is cheaper... but PS3 worths every cent with blue ray, time
(and money)
will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom