• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Now It's clearer :)

I thought the same, Live games and FPS (what I'm looking for because Wii doesn't have a single decent FPS game) on 360 are awesome.

But PS3's Blue Ray is impressive. The difference between normal DVD and Blue Ray just makes me buy a PS3 (and PS3 games seems to be a little bit more good looking too)

I guess I'll have to google some games CK, I'd buy 360 because is cheaper... but PS3 worths every cent with blue ray, time
(and money)
will tell.
IMO, MoHH2 is a decent FPS for the Wii. Im not a huge FPS player, but MoHH2 is too much fun. The controls are perfect, and by perfect, I prefer those over mouse and keyboard controls. Online has 32 person, and it's not friend codes! Yay. If you're looking for a decent FPS on the Wii, definitely check out Medal of Honor heroes 2

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
lonejedi I googled some vids and it looks cool, i'm not into war-themed-games I prefer more adventure-like FPS (James Bond, Perfect Dark, Bioshock, Halo)

But MoH2 does look decent, can you play it with friends? is there a multiplayer option? (no online I mean)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
that's one of the drawbacks for MoHH2. There is no local Multiplayer at all. They wanted to focus on the Online part more.

But IMO, the online makes up for it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I've been wanting to buy a 360 for a while now, I must confess, so I was wondering what games are good for the 360.

Im def looking at Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect, and I already know about all the other FPS,
but what other good games are on the 360 other than FPS that are good quality games?
You should be aware (and perhaps you are already), that no matter how much Mass Effect looks like a shooter, it is still primarily an RPG.

And on the subject of console wars... I really have nothing to say.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
that's one of the drawbacks for MoHH2. There is no local Multiplayer at all. They wanted to focus on the Online part more.

But IMO, the online makes up for it.
That's what I'm saying, I want a decent FPS for local multiplayer, so I can match "local" friends lol

Online is good, but I don't know why Nintendo doesn't have a single decent FPS with local Multiplayer... maybe the screens that each player has are too tiny to aim with the Wii controller?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Don't impulse by a 360 or PS3. Look at every single possible aspect. Plan about 4 games to buy the day you get either. Pick 2 or 3 XBL/PSN games. By the time you are done with those, new stuff will be out and you can start over. But make sure it's games you really thoroughly enjoy.

RDK

Smash Hero
Honestly, the only game PS3 has going for it right now (at least IMO) is Metal Gear 4. The console is just bad--the game lineup, the cost, even its appearance. It's like a big log.

As for Xbox 360, the only thing that would compel me to buy one would be for Halo, but every other friend of mine has one, so I'm content to just go to their house whenever we get a hankering for Halo.

I'm pretty content with the Wii for now. When Brawl comes out, it's going to be twice as good.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You're missing all the Sony and Microsoft franchises.. which would just end up being all the consoles made into one... which as pleasing as it sounds as a customer so you could get every game no matter what, would really end up being bad. No competition. Developers dont have to try.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Cashed beat me too it, the control scheme, graphics and online don't make the console, the games do. If they just prettied up a bunch of Wii's games and made the online better that'd only be half of the equation solved, gameplay [which has many subcategories like pacing, and technical stuff like load times] has to be good too.

And if there was only one super console, I believe the majority of devs would just relax and poop out crap games unless [anybody's but Nintendo's] Quality Assurance steps in.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yup, one super console would end in bad games someday...

On a side note, is Microsoft thinking on some kind of portable console? I feel like DS has no competition there, PSP fights, but it isn't the same competition as Wii-360-PS3
The only good thing about the PSP is that it has little to no protection against homebrew or pirated games, and the CPU is so fast you can run emulators on it.

SSB64 for PSP? Win.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Microsoft stated they didnt want to get into the portable console business, the Halo DS confirms it, sux that it was cancelled...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Halo DS, which wasn't anything more than a mod on an already existing DS FPS title, was never approved by Bungie or Microsoft. A 3rd company company made the mod to show the companies what it would be like and were denied.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Heh, last time I checked, Square Enix had two titles out for the 360 and two more confirmed in development, while they have three Wii games planned. But that's beside the point! I just wanted to you that even the President of Square Enix sees the Xbox 360 as the hardcore gamer console this generation. Knew I'd get a great response out of you by posting his comment.

edit:

Wiseguy/Eric - The Wii and 360 have been going back and forth. Before Halo 3 came out, the Wii was ahead, after Halo 3 came out, there was a surge for the 360 and it was back into first. Apparently the Wii is in first again now.
It's not going back and forth. It went back once, and that was because of Halo, 360 doesnt have anything like that again.

Also, Square Enix can keep making games for the 360, but it shouldnt hope to sell them anywhere but the US and a bit in Europe...which is a problem for a company like square enix. What an awkward statement for him to make, especially since he's going to rely on the wii and PS3 to do well.
umm the ps2 was the best, the GC was the weakest.
That's wrong, the PS2 was the weakest.

RDK

Smash Hero
Wow @ the person who thinks the PS2 was the weakest. PS2 sales killed both Xbox AND Gamecube sales.

This time around, I think it goes 360 > Wii > PS3, in terms of sales. IMO, the only reason the 360 is beating the Wii is because it had a huge jump start because it was released earlier.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Console sales: PlayStation 2 - 51.2 million; GameCube - 9.55 million ummm... ok
Thought it was alot higher. Where did you get those figures by the way?

Wow @ the person who thinks the PS2 was the weakest. PS2 sales killed both Xbox AND Gamecube sales.

This time around, I think it goes 360 > Wii > PS3, in terms of sales. IMO, the only reason the 360 is beating the Wii is because it had a huge jump start because it was released earlier.
Well yeah...it destroyed them both. And the Wii is out-selling the 360 now...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wait, what? There's no way the GC had better graphics than the PS2.
For some games, it had much better anti-aliasing than PS2, which coupled with cartoony graphics makes for beautiful games. PS2 just had the ability to have much better games.

As for the whole who is winning now, it's back and forth between 360 and Wii with no discernible winner, but don't hold on to that at all. PS3 is about to get a few huge selling games, Wii is about to get Brawl, and 360 will always have awesome stuff so this who's winning thing will become passe' pretty fast and meaningless. Really, wait until all 3 are closer to the end of their life cycle to determine who is wins. For now, enjoy the competition.

Zink

Smash Champion
For some games, it had much better anti-aliasing than PS2, which coupled with cartoony graphics makes for beautiful games. PS2 just had the ability to have much better games.

As for the whole who is winning now, it's back and forth between 360 and Wii with no discernible winner, but don't hold on to that at all. PS3 is about to get a few huge selling games, Wii is about to get Brawl, and 360 will always have awesome stuff so this who's winning thing will become passe' pretty fast and meaningless. Really, wait until all 3 are closer to the end of their life cycle to determine who is wins. For now, enjoy the competition.
:/ I find it hard to enjoy anything with $60 games from MS and Sony. Just in case they need another reminder: students don't make much money.

RDK

Smash Hero
:/ I find it hard to enjoy anything with $60 games from MS and Sony. Just in case they need another reminder: students don't make much money.
*COUGH* PIRATING *COUGH*

But you have to remember that (if I'm not mistaken) N64 games were like $60 when the console was just a baby. Maybe I'm being delusional and they were really only $50 or $40, but I think they were actually $60.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
... To get this out of the way:

Graphical potential last gen:
Xbox > GameCube > PS2

Sales last gen:
PS2 > Xbox > GameCube

Zink, $10 more for games doesn't change sales at all. You had people paying $130 for the Legendary Halo 3 package, and people seem to have absolutely no problem buying titles like Assassin's Creed at $60, or $100 for Guitar Hero 3 on the 360 or PS3. So even though every Nintendo-exclusive gamer is going to say it's a weak point to the system, it isn't enough to stop people from buying the system or games for it.

RDK, some N64 games ran at $70 or even $80. If I remember correctly, Pokemon Stadium was $80, and I remember Conker's Bad Fur Day being released at $70 and nobody buying it.

And according to early reports, the Wii sold over 1,006,000 units, the 360 728,000 units and the PS3 421,000 units. Official NPD data comes out Thursday.

RDK

Smash Hero
RDK, some N64 games ran at $70 or even $80. If I remember correctly, Pokemon Stadium was $80, and I remember Conker's Bad Fur Day being released at $70 and nobody buying it.
I thought that's how it was. I just remember being royally pissed off at how high the prices were for N64 games. It's kind of ironic that now you can basically get them for free on the internet.

Conker's Bad Fur Day was a good game, but like you said--nobody bought it.

As for the next-gen gaming linuep--I'm actually extremely disappointed with the games that have come out so far for the next-gens, especially the PS3 and 360 (barring Assassin's Creed, Halo, Mass Effect, etc.). And I think unless the PS3 starts utilizing some of that ungodly computing power, it's going to continue on its downward spiral. The only thing that has me still slightly interested is Guns of the Patriots, and that's only because I'm a Metal Gear buff.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Right now, PS3>360>Game Boy Pocket>Wii on graphics
Hardy har har. Reeeaaalll cute Eight Sage.

Consider yourself on Reggie Fils-Aime's naughty list.

... To get this out of the way:

Graphical potential last gen:
Xbox > GameCube > PS2

Sales last gen:
PS2 > Xbox > GameCube
Thanks for setting the record straight. I can't beleive that wasn't common knowlege.

Zink, $10 more for games doesn't change sales at all. You had people paying $130 for the Legendary Halo 3 package, and people seem to have absolutely no problem buying titles like Assassin's Creed at $60, or $100 for Guitar Hero 3 on the 360 or PS3. So even though every Nintendo-exclusive gamer is going to say it's a weak point to the system, it isn't enough to stop people from buying the system or games for it.

Dedicated gamers will but what they like, regardless of the cost. But I wouldn't say that price doesn't affect game sales. Consumers only have so much disposable income and I would argue that Guitar Hero is a success IN SPITE of its hefty asking price. Economics 101: decrease your price and you will see some increase in demand as a result.

And according to early reports, the Wii sold over 1,006,000 units, the 360 728,000 units and the PS3 421,000 units. Official NPD data comes out Thursday.
Wow. Sounds like a strong holiday season for everyone. It will be interesting to see the game sales on Thursday.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The funny about Wii is that even though over 10 million units were sold hardly any games even hit platinum. I was surprised when I heard some of the best sellers included Rayman's Raving Rabbits and Wii Sports [or was it wii play?].

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The funny about Wii is that even though over 10 million units were sold hardly any games even hit platinum. I was surprised when I heard some of the best sellers included Rayman's Raving Rabbits and Wii Sports [or was it wii play?].
I think it's both actually.

Of course Brawl will be a million seller but I'm more worried about the third party games. I like my PS3 but it's nice to turn on the Wii sometimes too. But it seems that the Wiis current demographic isn't interested in what third parties are releasing. There's some crap but even the good games like Zak and Wiki get buried beneath Mario Party 8 and it's ilk.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
To be fair, I don't think Zack and Wiki would have had much success on the 360 or PS3 either platform. Capcom's marketing strategy for the game was to do nothing and let IGN hype it up. Basically, they left it to die. And Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition cracked the million mark, so there is still an audience seeking deep, polished gameplay. Hopefully the Novemeber software sales reflect that.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Sorry, but that doesnt look true at all. Sales are not going back and forth, in world wide sales the wii is spanking both the 360 and PS3 (especially recently in Japan and NPD). The only back and forth that happened was in the US, and that was once very briefly when Halo 3 was released. I doubt any game for any system will have the ability to do that again this generation.

As for software sales, wii is not very far behind the 360 at all, and even on a multiplatform title like GHIII it sells better on the wii. I feel really bad for the PS3, because their big hit titles like Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted sold incredibly poorly, I dont see how theyll be able to hold onto 3rd party exclusives for long.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sorry, but that doesnt look true at all. Sales are not going back and forth, in world wide sales the wii is spanking both the 360 and PS3 (especially recently in Japan and NPD). The only back and forth that happened was in the US, and that was once very briefly when Halo 3 was released. I doubt any game for any system will have the ability to do that again this generation.

As for software sales, wii is not very far behind the 360 at all, and even on a multiplatform title like GHIII it sells better on the wii. I feel really bad for the PS3, because their big hit titles like Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted sold incredibly poorly, I dont see how theyll be able to hold onto 3rd party exclusives for long.
Rachet and Clank and Unchartered are first party.

PS3 beat both the Wii and 360 in Japan in November, and is beating the 360 in Europe. Stockholders are starting to shift from the Wii to the PS3 because they feel the stocks are stagnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom