• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Montage fails at tournament hosting thread. PLEASE CLOSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Singles is on Sunday, so we can fit a 64 person bracket in there. Spectators might be a bit much.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'll try my best to get the church group to use the Garden Room instead. If we can't do that, we'll be super cramped in the Garden Room on Sunday and just have to deal with it.

Edit: We can start a bit earlier than normal on Friday(if we're not starting at the normal tournament time of 11am-ish already) and then work fast on Saturday in order to make sure we're down to a 32 team bracket and 64 person bracket for Sunday. THAT will fit in the Garden. We just can't allow spectators.

phish-it

Smash Champion
This looks like it'll be huge, and alot closer than that FAST tournament. It seems like there is no agreeable stage list yet either Corneria is pretty iffy, and I wish Hannenbow had more love...

Any idea on a venue yet?

EDIT: Inui, need I ask what happened to the Powerpuff Girls in your sig?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Wait so is there Melee and Brawl?

Yes we're doing Brawl doubles, Brawl singles, and Melee singles at this point. Do to the expected amount of set-up's. But I'm gonna try and push for Melee doubles if people really want it and if we get the set-up's cause finishing on time is better than trying to do everything and failing.

If you have any questions just drop me a line on AIM or talk to the Mages.

Also, we're looking for people to help run pools, please PM me if you're interested.

Skler

Smash Master
If you guys can get a full melee tourny I'm in.

If you do melee doubles I'll drive down and bring a setup, maybe even TWO setups if the people I drive have them, but first I need to know if the doubles are happening or not so I can get a car.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Hefaustos lives! lol!

We're not doing Melee doubles, I'm sorry to all. There's limited room at the venue, and time is an issue with BRawls matches being so long.

The melee tournament will have a player cap, we'll start pre-registering people in a few weeks.

And hell yeah, Niko. Looking forward to it!

Aesir

Smash Master
Hefaustos lives! lol!

We're not doing Melee doubles, I'm sorry to all. There's limited room at the venue, and time is an issue with BRawls matches being so long.

The melee tournament will have a player cap, we'll start pre-registering people in a few weeks.

And hell yeah, Niko. Looking forward to it!
Whats the player cap?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Why Corneria Should be Banned

- Dedede can wall infinite 2/3 of the characters on the right side, and he can just get the advantage up top, run away, and force you to go down there.
- Dedede can chaingrab people to the left side, send them off the stage, and then they can die from the Great Fox laser or double jump, and the forced double jump means Dedede can just call it and hit you no matter what.
- The Great Fox's laser fires more frequently than it used to, and getting hit results in an instant death.
- Fox can shine infinite on the right side.
- Ike can chaingrab with his f-throw, which can be set up by his b-throw, on the right side. This isn't infinite, but it gets a lot of characters to high percent.
- Game and Watch can kill people at 0% by bucketing lasers.
- Lucas and Ness can camp lasers to heal a ridiculous amount of damage.
- Donkey Kong can cargo u-throw most characters at low damage on the fin and kill them.
- Meta Knight can fin camp forever with his shuttle loop.
- Almost any character can do ridiculous nonsense with fin camping.
- You can die at very low percent from anywhere on the stage from a lot of things, like Fox and Game and Watch's up smashes killing you at ~50% consistently.
- Camping in general is not only promoted by that stage, but almost necessary to have a shot at winning.

I hope this doesn't need anymore explaining.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Inui's points are valid, but this is why we allow stage bans.

Not to mention, if you lose once, then win, then this is picked and you lose because of "The Stage" then what happened the first game?

We can't ban 11 billion stages.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui's points are valid, but this is why we allow stage bans.

Not to mention, if you lose once, then win, then this is picked and you lose because of "The Stage" then what happened the first game?

We can't ban 11 billion stages.
No, this is why we just ban stages that insane. Forcing everyone that doesn't play Fox, Falco, and Meta Knight as their mains to waste that ban on everyone due to Dedede's existence is horrible. Everyone has a pocket Dedede to bust out at this point.

Doesn't mean you should lose the set due to a horrible stage being allowed. Having to win the first game or lose the set isn't cool at all.

No, but we have to ban horrendously unfair ones to make this game viable for competitive play, which it's not unless we ban most of the game from tournaments.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
It'll be pretty big, not a huge worry situation. Somewhere in between 64, and 128, I'm sure.
No player cap as of yet. My schedule and time suggests we can do both events for both games

This is the third time I have told you do not do anything without talking to me or white mage first and clearing it through!

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
You guys should be clearing stuff through ME too. I'm the one responsible for the venue and I'm in Montage. >_>;
Inui,

This is not about the venue its more about I would prefer if we all talk about it.

Also, as far as I am concerned I only talk with OWM about this and from my standpoint I am going to be spearheading most of the DAY OF events with OWM. This is due to you and DM entering and to be honest a major is MUCH different than 64 man tournaments. I am not trying to say you both wont help a lot, because you will, but I want to make sure this is THE best ran tournament possible.

Infact here was my possible scheduling for all three days if anyone is interested.

Friday

Melee Doubles Pool 1 3pm - 5pm
Melee Doubles Pool 2 * 5:30pm - 8pm
Brawl Doubles Pool 1 8pm - 10pm
Brawl Doubles Pool 2 * 10pm - 12am

* Only applies if first pool top 4 exceeds 32 players

Saturday

Melee Singles Pool 1 10am - 12pm
Melee Singles Pool 2 12pm - 2pm
Brawl Singles Pool 1 2pm - 4pm
Brawl Single Pool 2 4pm - 6pm
Melee Singles Pool 3 6 pm - 8pm
Brawl Singles Pool 3 8pm - 10pm

Melee Doubles Bracket 10pm - 12am
Brawl Doubles Bracket 10pm - 12am

Sunday

Melee Singles Bracket 10am - 1pm
Brawl Singles Bracket 1pm - 5pm

I do not want this tournament to be one day for each. Everyone should hang out and have a good time and meet in the middle. Socializing is the best thing about this and if we all work together a schedule like this can and will work if we are smart. Of course this is all based on a certain amount of tvs and a 256 singles for both and 128 for teams ( worst case scenario.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
No player cap as of yet. My schedule and time suggests we can do both events for both games

This is the third time I have told you do not do anything without talking to me or white mage first and clearing it through!
We have to cap it. This is a Brawl Major, and there won't be enough room for 90 people coming for melee only, I'm sorry. This was established a long time ago.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
We have to cap it. This is a Brawl Major, and there won't be enough room for 90 people coming for melee only, I'm sorry. This was established a long time ago.
From waht OWM told me we dont have to cap it and with the schedule i have its fine. Either way drop me a line so we can be on the same page

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui,

This is not about the venue its more about I would prefer if we all talk about it.

Also, as far as I am concerned I only talk with OWM about this and from my standpoint I am going to be spearheading most of the DAY OF events with OWM. This is due to you and DM entering and to be honest a major is MUCH different than 64 man tournaments. I am not trying to say you both wont help a lot, because you will, but I want to make sure this is THE best ran tournament possible.
I'm responsible. If something goes wrong, my father and the owner will be on me about it, not you guys, no matter what you say about taking the blame or whatever. I'm the one that's going to be talking to the manager and owner this week about the event.

I'm just saying I should be included in discussions about this tournament. Even though Brandon and I are entering and will probably be playing up until the end, we'll also help run the event and will be supplying many set-ups. It's going to be on two floors, remember? We'll ALL need to work hard to keep things organized and running smoothly.

Infact here was my possible scheduling for all three days if anyone is interested.

Friday

Melee Doubles Pool 1 3pm - 5pm
Melee Doubles Pool 2 * 5:30pm - 8pm
Brawl Doubles Pool 1 8pm - 10pm
Brawl Doubles Pool 2 * 10pm - 12am

* Only applies if first pool top 4 exceeds 32 players
I sincerely doubt we'll be able to run pools for teams. It will run much faster if we just cram every team in a huge bracket. A lot less matches to worry about. I'd MUCH rather have CREWS on Friday than spend all day on pools for teams. Let's also try to start a little earlier than 3pm.

Saturday

Melee Doubles Bracket 10pm - 12am
Brawl Doubles Bracket 10pm - 12am
Rather than swap back and forth, we should just do Melee pools first and get that over with. It will be much shorter than Brawl pools. We should also try to start Brawl pools while Melee pools are going on. We're not going to have the whole hotel to devoted to one game, and then switch every station to the other, and then back again.

Sunday

I like starting Melee early and getting it over with. As much as Melee people will hate it, Brawl is the main event. Sunday will also be restricted access. We're probably going to only have the Garden Room, which will not fit more than 80 people.

Edit: We should use each room for each game. Whatever is the MAIN focus at the time should get the Windsor Room, and the secondary focus can have the Garden Room. Since Wiis can play either game, it shouldn't be hard to switch back and forth.

Aesir

Smash Master
It makes sense to do it Alex's way. WHy? Because STONE COLD AESIR SAID SOOOOOOOO.

Okay to be serious (lol what aesir serious gtfo.) it makes sense to do it alex's way, especially if we're only doing 2 matches. Melee pools will be incredibly fast, and if it's only 2 pools tops you should get through that fairly quickly.

Teams especially the average team match barely takes 5 minutes tops. It's also 2 matches each and not a best of 3 match like we had at pound 3.

mm9 had 10 set ups 100+ people the tourney ran from 12-8 roughly.

I dunno guys I think brawl takes to long!

No Johns..>_>

Inui

Banned via Warnings
We're definitely doing Brawl crews. Almost every major has had crew battles. In this local area alone, there's a lot of crews willing to battle. Montage, Deadly Alliance, Titans of Smash, The Smash Affiliates, and other crews will certainly enter, and some with enough people to have more than one crew enter.

We will try our best to get singles pools done as fast as possible and then run Brawl crews on Saturday night.

Brawl Crews

- You MUST be part of an actual, established crew to participate. This means you can't just form a random crew, pro players can't just group together to win, and you can't just pick up a random pro player to buff up your crew if they're not really part of it. We can and will check Smashboards and AllIsBrawl to verify things if there are any disputes.
- $40 per crew.
- 60/30/10 pot split, 70/30 if there's not a lot of crews.
- 20 stocks per crew.
- 4 or 5 people per crew with stocks divided evenly.
- Double elimination bracket seeded by region.
- First person per crew will be written down or told to a judge and then each player will be sent out with the character that was written down or told to a judge.
- The player entering the next match may use any character they wish.
- If the entering player counterpicks a stage, the other play may switch their character, otherwise they must stay on that character.

Random Stages:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island(Brawl)
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium(Melee)
Castle Seige
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon

lightxdream and I both approve of these rules. If the other directors approve, that'll be dandy. :)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
If we do everything as planned this was my suggested timeframe...This is all assuming we have 32 setups

Friday

Melee Doubles Bracket 3pm - 8pm
Brawl Doubles Bracket 8pm – 12am

Saturday

Brawl Crew Bracket 10pm – 1am

Sunday

Wrap up and go home

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Looks awesome. I'll try my best to get tons of set-ups.

No venue fee for those that bring set-ups that we actually use? That'll encourage people to help out.

Handorin

Smash Hero
So for crews, you cant form a Memphis area crew or something of the likes if not enough of just one crew from an area comes?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
So for crews, you cant form a Memphis area crew or something of the likes if not enough of just one crew from an area comes?
Exceptions can definitely be made for situations like that. If you're all from the same area and need to form up in order to enter, that's fine. We just need to know about it.

We're trying to prevent pro players from just grouping together at the tournament to get an easy win. It's about REAL crews and friends being on the same team.

Skler

Smash Master
Hmmm...while melee doubles are gimped this significantly increases my chances of going!

I find it strange you're going to cut down on a "real" part of the tournament for something that a lot of people won't enter, but it's your tourny so whatever.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Every major I've attended sans MLG and EVO has had crews. What's being cut down, anyways? Friday is going to be doubles for both games. Saturday will be singles pools and then crews at night. Sunday will be the pro bracket for singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom