• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
goddamn, Protest's Wretch is giving my fingers a workout. I love it.

anyone happen to know of some other metal bands who use Eb tuning? playing with guitar pro is okay but it's so much more fun to play along to the actual songs

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141

anyone happen to know of some other metal bands who use Eb tuning? playing with guitar pro is okay but it's so much more fun to play along to the actual songs
I can only think of Deicide and some Cattle Decapitation songs, and I think maybe Agalloch does as well.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
nicest ****ing people i've ever met. so proud that my area still has a decent band getting somewhere after Breaking Benjamin went mediocre. Also, Dee Snider ftw, glad to see he supports these guys.

EDIT: In that new music video, they look even crazier! XD
Yeah, they seem to be super genuine dudes and I mean, why shouldn't they? :)

Wretched

Dankness of Heart

That is my favorite song performed by them.
I also had a cat named Wretch for like a year because of the meow.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
if you want a finger workout, play any BTBAM song, it will kill your fretting hand. but if you want Eb tuning do After the Burial, they use 7 strings but seldom do they use the low string. Their style is similar to PTH

limb from limb and turn soonest are always my favorite to play. string skipping is cool

i'm trying to upload a cover of the new reign, fun song

Orboknown

Smash Hero
lmao. The world is right,except for Dio not being around. NO offense to Giliian or Tony Martin,but Ozzy and Dio were always the only real sabbath vocalists to me.

In an Avenged Sevenfold concert right now, might not make it out alive. Got front row in the pit.

Wish me luck. D=

Get Low

Smash Ace
In an Avenged Sevenfold concert right now, might not make it out alive. Got front row in the pit.

Wish me luck. D=
Lol, Avenged Sevenfold is so weak. The worst thing that could happen to you in one of their pits is that you might get tickled to death.

I don't know with what crowd you guys saw A7X with, but in PR, our pits are always ridiculously wild. We didn't do any walls of death or anything like that like you'd see from a Lamb of God show, but we did do pretty much everything else, and I most definitely came out pretty beat up. I'm sore all over cause of the amount of times I've gotten dropped, puched, kicked, shoved, and thrown in that show.

It was a great show, but I think the band themselves were pretty weak like you guys said they were. They weren't as energetic as any other band I've seen (Chariot was definitely more wild, and even Paramore had more moments), but the crowd most definitely was, which made the concert phenomenal. I'd definitely go again.

Next concert is As Blood Runs Black.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Avenged Sevenfold is the epitome of ****ty, soft, mainstream metal that gets fans because of their image. They're as soft as metal gets and people still like to say that they're hardcore.
It is hard to be hardcore when you're singing The Beast and the Harlot
Good bands don't need to look like hardcore emo kids to get fans.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I don't listen to A7x either, but the opinions in this thread are killing me. People have different tastes, no need to be a jerk about it. Just imo.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Avenged Sevenfold is the epitome of ****ty, soft, mainstream metal that gets fans because of their image. They're as soft as metal gets and people still like to say that they're hardcore.
This didn't really seem like teasing to me.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I guess that's true. I just tend to ignore A7X now. I liked them back when I was a freshman in high school when City of Evil came out, but I grew out of them pretty fast.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I used to be a big metalhead when I was younger (old Katatonia, Bloodbath, Opeth, old In Flames, Obscura) but now I tend to like -core stuff a lot more.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
inb4 judgement.

And haha luigi, Trivium's good :glare:

Avenged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4zrnRlhjk&ob=av2n

This song is metal. Look. Everything they have isn't Almost Easy and .... .... So Far Away. *shudder*

They have good *** stuff man. Waking The Fallen/City Of Evil had some good stuff. So yeah, they sing. That's cause M. Shadows vocals blew the **** out after the Waking The Fallen album. hence why that album had a ****LOAD of screaming. Hahaha.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Walking into this thread was a mistake.

>_>
It's just that people have opinions, and its the internet, nothing you can do except mentally water down their views and scope out their point from there.

A7X's old stuff ain't bad. It's just that their newer stuff is so incredibly cheesy and mediocre, the older stuff can't make up for it. I still listen to Waking The Fallen and one or two songs from City of Evil every now and again, but honestly I just kinda wish people would skip over A7X (even the old stuff) and get the hell over to listening to the good version of them (Iron Maiden) already, cut out the middle-man.

:205:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Avenged Sevenfold being metal is pretty debatable. Granted I didn't hear much of them, so I can't know for sure... when I read "heavy metal / hard rock / metalcore" on the wikipedia page and the first two songs I stumble upon are pretty much what I expected, I'm kinda reluctant on checking out more... why listen to music which I'm pretty sure I'll dislike, when there's already too much great music to listen to it all.
For example my favourite doom metal album of the year, despite all the quality releases 2011 has seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5-CQyUyIc
:D

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
why listen to music which I'm pretty sure I'll dislike, when there's already too much great music to listen to it all.
Well, if for nothing else, you should give questionable stuff a try to at least help you make an educated critique.
And in my case, I've come to be acquainted with the rate that my tastes change (expand?) by going back and giving stuff a try that I didn't like before... like metal lol

It's Gojira time (progressive death I would say):
These are all from The Way of All Flesh

Yama's Messengers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPXV4vUDlqs
A good gateway song for them. And 0:50 is tooo tasty

Toxic Garbage Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAw5nWJBNrM
Some great riffs strewn about this song. They just seem to do so many things right.

The Art of Dying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEYz74bMHA
I would be otherwise disinclined to listen from the title, but goddamn, this **** drops you hard.

Hope this gets some of you in to them if not already

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I used to be a big metalhead when I was younger (old Katatonia, Bloodbath, Opeth, old In Flames, Obscura) but now I tend to like -core stuff a lot more.
Interesting.

What "-core" genres do you listen to?

If it's metalcore, deathcore (to an extent) and/or post hardcore then we probably like the same stuff

Also, I kinda like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDJ23I9o-M&feature=channel_video_title

Not as good as their previous stuff because they were very good without the generic sound to it but I still love the clean vocals lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Anyone ever hear of Unexpect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46U2y-lO344

They have a pretty appropriate band name imo lol
Whoa, this band is really interesting.

I was not feeling it much for the first 2 minutes, but then it started changing into a dozen different things at once...this is crazy. it's like an audio version of a comic book.

I'm going to have to check this band out.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
A ****ing men

Don't even get me started on all the other bands they've influenced.

Top Bottom