• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Saw them when they opened the progressive nation tour a couple of years back.

While I appreciate they've tried to make some really complex music, I feel it lacks any focus or cohesiveness.

More importantly, new cynic album out recently. :bee:
I'm so happy that you like Cynic.

Geist

Smash Master
While I appreciate they've tried to make some really complex music, I feel it lacks any focus or cohesiveness.
Yeah tbh I thought so for a while, but after a few months I figured I'd give them a try again and something clicked, and now I've been listening to that whole album nonstop lately.

Cynic is pretty cool, I think it's also a band that I think I need to give a few re-listenings to. They're one of those bands who's music I've held on to the past few years even though they're not my personal cup of tea

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
behemoth is like the worst death metal band ever.

Cynic is cool though...but, I gotta say, that autotune vocoder **** gets old really fast. I haven't heard the new stuff yet though.
Behemoth isn't the best, but they're definitely good at what they do. They're probably not in my top 5 of black/death bands though.

As for Cynic, Paul Masvidal does use a vocoder, but if you listen to his stuff from Re-Traced, he removes the vocoder layering and sings <better> than with the vocoder, so he's not autotuned or anything.

Cynic's wonderful because they do what a lot of bands don't: mix cerebral with aesthetic. When I listen to jazz, I don't get emotional or giddy, but it's fascinating to study and predict. When I listen to metal, I rarely think about the musical underpinnings. When I listen to Cynic, I'm constantly thinking about why Paul chose to modulate or tonicize a key, all while being able to just take it in. I can imagine that dualism is Masvidal's MO though, considering his professed love of Indian mysticism. :laugh:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Funny Behemoth was brought up, I just finished taking all the Behemoth off my iPod, it was just taking up space, and I don't really listen to them anymore.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Flying V guitars are the most homo and stupidest thing ever. I hate them with a passion. If I see someone playing a Flying V I automatically hate them no matter how good they are playing.

ESP LTDs are some of my favorite guitars. When I got into metal I started with ibanez, which to this day I've yet to find an Ibanez that doesn't feel like **** to me. Then I got a LTD EC-50 for 250 bucks and played nothing else for 5 years.

Now I have a Parker Dragonfly and I basically want to give it a handjob all the time.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
i started with an ibanez too. Try an ibanez s prestige, they are godly.

for now i have a washburn x series. it is so ****ing lovely, the neck itself just makes me ****.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Hardcore dancing is fighting invisible ninjas.

Moshing is fighting ninjas.
haha :)

Moshpits and circle pits are awesome because no one gets hurt (If done correctly).

Wall of deaths are also cool cuz you can easily avoid being in it (same with circle pits)

Hardcore Dancing is stupid because you are taking up the space of like 10 people with your flying arms and fists and it will hurt those who want to stand close to that spot.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Saw Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya last night... got to smoke with most of them. Also got to chill with Brandon and Sam for a few hours.

Such down to earth dudes, I had know idea Unbreakable was about Breaking Bad, which makes it even cooler.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Happy belated dimebag day.

RIP man.

I smoked a bunch while listening to most of the Pantera albums.

Hope you all raised a drink/smoke to him!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Lost interest as soon as the dude said " on the wings of eagles in the eye of the storm" hahaha. can't get more cliche than that.
Oh, come on! It's a good song. :laugh:

Give ARP a break; he's a hardcore German whose English is absolutely horrible! And if you think about it, most of classic metal is pretty cliche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_Clys4ul4 - Saxon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXIaMgoZE8 - Running Wild

Both of those songs stand out in my head as exceptionally cliche, but no one can deny how agonizingly bad-*** they are. :ganondorf:

Oh, and Dream Evil comes to mind, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzFMPPH340 <--- worst of them all, I think lol. Though, they're power metal.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
oh **** i haven't heard this yet. I really love Anaal Nathrakh, sometimes to an unhealthy degree. they're one of the heaviest bands ever to my ears

this song isn't quite grindy enough for me though. I love it when it's just a wall of chaotic noise and you can't even tell what anyone is playing, hahaha.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I kinda see their clear songs and their grindy songs as entirely different genres. My two favorites are that and So Be It from their last album, which are the calmer songs.

Top Bottom