• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So, went to BTBAM, Animals as Leaders and Tesseract last night. Tesseract was pretty good, Animals was amazing, BTBAM was perfect. Fortunately, there were no other opening bands but those three so we got some fairly meaty sets.

Tesseract is cool I guess, but it's just not really my thing. It's pretty groovy and the new singer has some pipes.

Animals played a great set, and had an awesome light/slideshow. I'm not big on AAL so the only songs they played that I know the name of are Waves of Babies, Isolated Incidents and they closed with CAFO which was like a thousand times more awesome than the studio version. They got the crowd good and pumped for BTBAM.

Every time I see BTBAM they get better and better. This was definitely my favorite setlist. I said they were perfect but I guess that's not entirely true. Paul's guitar got unhooked during Disease Injury Madness for a couple seconds.

The set as I remember it was like

Mirrors
Obfuscation
Decade of Statues
Disease, Injury, Madness
Specular Reflection (an extended version with an improv solo from Blake)
Alaska-All Bodies- Shevanel Cut a Flip- Fire for a Dry Mouth- Lost Perfection B-Aspirations (this was the highlight of the show. they took the most iconic parts from these older songs and melded them together into one beast. it was impressive and brutal because it was like all their best breakdowns of their career in a five minute span. I almost passed out from heat exhaustion from dancing so much at this point)
Viridian/White Walls
Mordecai

Jane

Smash Hero
oh my god.

if they dont do ALL OF THAT when they come here, i will cry. that mixture sounds absolutely orgasmic.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I am starting a two man band.
You guys will be the first to hear it since I want some input from people who aren't idiots.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Recently I've been digging some Metalcore and Deathcore, which is kind of funny because I normally hate the stuff.

Been listening to:

After the Burial (2009 rerelease of Rareform is awesome.)
As Blood Runs Black
All that Remains (I love their first three albums a lot. Melodeath influences ftw.)
Last Chance to Reason (Nerdy prog/melodeath/metalcore band. VERY similar to BTBAM)
Light This City
Parkway Drive
Within the Ruins

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Those are almost all on the sceney side of Deathcore/Metalcore...

Check out: Impending Doom, Betraying the Martyrs, AND BEFORE YOU ALL SCREAM WHITECHAPEL THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. WHY DO THEY GET SO MUCH HATE.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
hahaha As Blood Runs Black, that was my **** in sophomore year. no offense meant, just reminiscing.

oh my god.

if they dont do ALL OF THAT when they come here, i will cry. that mixture sounds absolutely orgasmic.
Yeah. My only "problems" with the set is that Specular Reflection is my least favorite song off of the EP and that I've seen them three times and I still haven't heard Selkies. They always close with Mordecai when I see them. Not complaining though. I love Mordecai more than Selkies, but I feel like I need to see them play the last half of Selkies before I die.

@Wretched: Hell yeah! What kind of music? Any particular band influences you will try to play off of? What's the instrumentation? Drum and guitar?

about Whitechapel: They aren't bad. I don't hate them. But they don't really excite me, and in my limited experience their music does not require three guitarists.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
@Wretched: Hell yeah! What kind of music? Any particular band influences you will try to play off of? What's the instrumentation? Drum and guitar?

about Whitechapel: They aren't bad. I don't hate them. But they don't really excite me, and in my limited experience their music does not require three guitarists.
It will probably be a lot of things. Metalcore and Deathcore influence will be heavy, some Slam/Grind infleunces, and most definitely plain ol' death metal. We know we definitely want to use fast changing time signatures. It isn't going to be fast or slow in general. We want it to be both.
In terms of vocals, listen to Chelsea Grin to get a general idea of what will go down. I am also heavily influenced vocally by some of Lord Worm's stuff.

I kinda feel the same way about them. They don't excite me either. What I was referring to was the fact that every person who I meet who likes metal happens to have a burning hatred for Whitechapel.
EDIT: Oh, and if you listen to Kronos, I have a similar voice to that guy.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Those are almost all on the sceney side of Deathcore/Metalcore...

Check out: Impending Doom, Betraying the Martyrs, AND BEFORE YOU ALL SCREAM WHITECHAPEL THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. WHY DO THEY GET SO MUCH HATE.
Any songs you'd suggest to give me a good feel of their material?

also I don't know if you're insulting my taste or not. >_>

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
so how's it work? Do you play something as well as vocals? are you using programmed drums? I find that for a lot of metal genres that programmed drums aren't terrible if you are just worrying about recording music. If the music is chaotic enough, it's harder to tell that the drums are synthetic.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
We won't play live. We're making the music purely to make it and put it out there.
I do nothing but vocals.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I honestly didn't know Animals as Leader's album's drums were synthetic until I read about it.
Yeah, but just on the record. They have an absolutely amazing live drummer. I'm sure he is present in lieu of programmed drums on their 2nd upcoming album.

Iwrestledabearonce's self titled EP was entirely synthetic drums as well.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
So the Opeth concert was amazing. They only played clean vocal songs though, so I won't talk about that in here. :p What really surprised me was Katatonia. They started the set singing a bunch of the same sounding songs, but towards the end, the bassist took over vocals and they started playing some of their early stuff, which was like doom/melodeath. It was amazing. I didn't listen to Katatonia before, but I'm definitely gonna check out their early stuff now.

:phone:

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I used to HATE doom/stoner metal a lot but I'm getting really into it lately.

Admiral Angry is sooo crushing

http://youtu.be/lNRQIX8Cu44
Just gave their Blow Down a listen. Haha, yeah I got slapped around a bit.

The tendencies I love about stoner/doom is lyrical content (which always seem grandiose and/or narrative) and the way so many riffs rely on a particular bass note that's frequently visited and emphasized.

speaking of riffs, do you mind if I revive your riff thread?

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
seeing protest the hero, last chance to reason, and scale the summit next month in pensacola.

i'm a giddy school girl right now

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I've actually been jamming a lot of Protest lately. My band plays in Eb like they do, so I've been learning some of their songs. Mostly Kezia, but a little bit of Fortress and none of Scurrilous because Scurrilous kinda sucks. They are one of my favorite bands instrumentally.

other **** i've been playing

Spawn of Possession. experimental tech melodeath. The Faceless is heavily inspired by this band and you can hear it in all their music

http://youtu.be/0Z79-Zp6A7o

East of the Wall. uh, i dunno. atmospheric groove metal? this album has a very unique mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXQpX58g55Q

Ion Dissonance good ol brutal groovy slightly mathy deathcore. makes me want to punch peoples' faces in, but it's also really creative and not cliche at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItj3x_FcA8

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
i know i said this earlier, but guys come on, scurrilous is pretty damn good.

moonlight, tandem, and tongue splitter have amazing lyrics, i thought scurrilous sucked when i saw them live too, just listen to it in depth a bit more.

PTH have been known to have bad lyrics to begin with. IE Turn Soonest to the Sea.

and where did you hear rody wrote the instruments? lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I've never loved PTH lyrics, but Scurrilous was just really really bad. Not only could I not relate to it at all, it's just a lot of it just SOUNDS bad.

It isn't a terrible album I guess, and it definitely has its moments, but it all sounds really bland and uninspired. like they wanted to make a new album, but they didn't want to try anything new or exciting.

Rody wrote the music? That.....doesn't really make any sense. Why would the one person in the band who doesn't play an instrument write the instrumental aspect of the album?

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
rody wrote most of the song's lyrics, arif wrote a couple. rody didn't touch any of the instruments, that's why i was asking where he heard that. they all wrote to their respective instruments.

btw scurrilous's guitar work is ****ing ridiculous. definitely harder than fortress.

but i can agree on your standpoint, i'm not attacking you or anything, i just like everything they have put out.

so you can say im a fanboy

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Turn Soonest to the Sea has bad lyrics? I liked them.
It was actually relate-able and I actually understood what Arif was trying to say.
I remember that Rody wrote more than the lyrics. He may not have wrote every riff but he was definitely in charge of that stuff. He talked about it on his FB page.
I hated Scurrilous.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
yeah, but PTH has tons and tons of cringeworthy or embarassing lyrics in all of their songs. That one isn't that much worse than a lot of the other stuff Rody/Arif write.

I like a couple of the melodies/harmonies that Rody sings but for the most part I could really do without him. He's especially annoying on Scurrilous imo. I'd love to hear a version of that album without the vocals, like they put out with Fortress.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
there probably is a version somewhere out there.

but i respect your opinion, i just put them on an unworthy pedestal.

have you seen the new hair-trigger video? i love their sense of humor

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I love how Arif wrote Kezia in relation to his own past and in the perspective of his religion, yet Rody ****s on it and acts like it is all a joke.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I love how Arif wrote Kezia in relation to his own past and in the perspective of his religion, yet Rody ****s on it and acts like it is all a joke.
How do you suppose Rody "****s" on the lyrics? Has he actually stated in interviews that the lyrics are a joke, or do you think his vocal delivery on the album makes them seem like a joke? If you think the latter, then I strongly disagree with you. I feel like Rody's vocals fit perfectly with the music on Kezia. I think he takes his vocal performance a little too far on Fortress and Scurrilous though.

Get Low

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Bc8-9z0Rc&ob=av2e

I ****ing love Motionless in White. Listened to them alot before and my love for them was renewed when I saw the preview for the upcomin music video for the song in the link.

And don't go on about their looks. They make music PERIOD.
I was just listening them earlier. I love them as well, but their haters get mad annoying with the way they diss the way they look. And while they're not the most musically talented band, I love the eerie vibe I get from their music.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Bc8-9z0Rc&ob=av2e

I ****ing love Motionless in White. Listened to them alot before and my love for them was renewed when I saw the preview for the upcomin music video for the song in the link.

And don't go on about their looks. They make music PERIOD.
nicest ****ing people i've ever met. so proud that my area still has a decent band getting somewhere after Breaking Benjamin went mediocre. Also, Dee Snider ftw, glad to see he supports these guys.

EDIT: In that new music video, they look even crazier! XD

Top Bottom